HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2014, 01:23 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 500
Lots of Joffreys in the draft.

Jake Virtanen has a vague resemblance too haha.

Old
01-13-2014, 01:43 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Lots of Joffreys in the draft.

Jake Virtanen has a vague resemblance too haha.
Winter is coming, Trade the pick.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:00 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Calgary shutout Carolina tonight. They're now +3pts on us.

Mckenzie's mid season draft rankings come out next week. We'll see just how similiar CSS's rankings are to the thoughts of the scouts Mckenzie talks to. It helps our cause if Bennett and Draisatl get healthy hype bumps, but I expect it'll still be Reinhart/Ekblad at the top.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:50 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRib View Post
Thing is, most stand out JR players that get picked in the top of round 1 are "men against boys." Ekblad is a different scenario though, since he's in his 3rd OHL season.

Ekblad is the only player in the top 5 that I would want. Maybe Draisaitl, but Ekblad for sure.

If we do pick Draisaitl, I'd pull him out of junior ASAP. The Raiders aren't really known for producing NHL talent... I'd rather the Oilers develop him than leaving it up to the Raiders organization.

The last impact NHLer the Raiders have produced is Scott Hartnell. And he was taken from them when he was 18 too.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=3755

Old
01-13-2014, 11:54 PM
Lindo

I want Ekblad/Draisaitl/Reinhart. They have to come out of this draft with a centre or D.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:34 AM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
I want Ekblad/Draisaitl/Reinhart. They have to come out of this draft with a centre or D.
Bob's interview with the ex-Pittsburgh HC, Olczyk he was pretty certain building down the middle matters the most. Was an interesting take. I think we take C if Ekblad is gone. Reinhart or Draisaitl will be it I think.

But Pitts probably had more D than we do now at the time I believe so it's all relative to the teams situation I suppose.

Old
01-14-2014, 03:33 AM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Bob's interview with the ex-Pittsburgh HC, Olczyk he was pretty certain building down the middle matters the most. Was an interesting take. I think we take C if Ekblad is gone. Reinhart or Draisaitl will be it I think.

But Pitts probably had more D than we do now at the time I believe so it's all relative to the teams situation I suppose.
Has Olczyk seen Chicago's center depth? I think two solid d men that can eat up time are need for play off runs.

Old
01-14-2014, 06:54 AM
SterlingArcher

Who do Draisaitl and Reinhardt compare too?

Old
01-14-2014, 07:16 AM
Hoogaar23

When do McKenzie's mid term rankings come out normally?

Old
01-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Winter is coming, Trade the pick.

Old
01-14-2014, 07:37 AM
I am the Liquor

Last year they came out on Jan 30th. I thought I heard somewhere they were coming out today, but maybe it is this week. At any rate it should be soon.

Old
01-14-2014, 07:56 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Last year they came out on Jan 30th. I thought I heard somewhere they were coming out today, but maybe it is this week. At any rate it should be soon.
He said they'll be out next week, I forget the date, but I know its right before a Leafs game. (with the way they are falling, it will be very informative for their fans )

Old
01-14-2014, 08:02 AM
Hoogaar23

As jaded as I am about prospects at this point, I like that there are 3 centres and a D in the top 4 as I can't realistically imagine picking any worse than 4. We're a full 10 points behind the Jets with the same games played, 8 behind the Isles with 1 more GP, 6 behind Florida with 3 more GP, 3 behind Calgary with 2 more GP.

We might overtake Calgary, and MAYBE Florida, but I think that's about it - and then a lottery win by a team 5th or better could push us to the 5th pick, but realistically, I think we're looking at top 3.

Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl - any of those would be awesome.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
As jaded as I am about prospects at this point, I like that there are 3 centres and a D in the top 4 as I can't realistically imagine picking any worse than 4. We're a full 10 points behind the Jets with the same games played, 8 behind the Isles with 1 more GP, 6 behind Florida with 3 more GP, 3 behind Calgary with 2 more GP.

We might overtake Calgary, and MAYBE Florida, but I think that's about it - and then a lottery win by a team 5th or better could push us to the 5th pick, but realistically, I think we're looking at top 3.

Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl - any of those would be awesome.
I've pretty much resigned myself to that too.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:21 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I've pretty much resigned myself to that too.
My only worry (well not only) is that, as someone else mentioned, we happen to get Ekblad (my top choice) is that the "braintrust" feel a need to have both he AND Nurse in the lineup next year, along with Marincin and Klefbom.

Some variation of:

Marincin - Petry
Klefbom - Schultz
Ekblad - Nurse

could be pretty good in a few years. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them insert 2 raw rookies in to the lineup trying to sell even more hope to the fans - but that d corps would get lit up like a Christmas tree - even more than this year's version.

Maybe one of Nurse, Klefbom, or Ekblad (if we get him) - but you can't have 2, especially if you assume that Marincin will be there too.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:31 AM
CupofOil

I'm curious as to why there's so much talk about wanting to take Reinhart and Draisatl (after Ekblad obviously) but very little about Bennett.
I haven't seen much of any of these guys (none of Bennett) but based on what i'm reading about them, Bennett seems to have an extra gear that the others don't and plays a more "in your face" style. I would think that would be more appealing for the Oilers considering all the fairies that we have up front.
I know that Draisatl has the size and Reinhart the 2 way ability but i'm surprised that Bennett isn't getting more mention on HFOil.
Reinhart to me seems a little soft, not sure if he's the best fit. Smart player but soft.

Last edited by CupofOil: 01-14-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old
01-14-2014, 08:32 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
My only worry (well not only) is that, as someone else mentioned, we happen to get Ekblad (my top choice) is that the "braintrust" feel a need to have both he AND Nurse in the lineup next year, along with Marincin and Klefbom.

Some variation of:

Marincin - Petry
Klefbom - Schultz
Ekblad - Nurse

could be pretty good in a few years. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them insert 2 raw rookies in to the lineup trying to sell even more hope to the fans - but that d corps would get lit up like a Christmas tree - even more than this year's version.

Maybe one of Nurse, Klefbom, or Ekblad (if we get him) - but you can't have 2, especially if you assume that Marincin will be there too.
If we draft Ekblad, I would have no problem trading Marincin and Klefbom.

I think we would still have to move one of Schultz or Petry to get a legit top pairing defenceman.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:35 AM
CupofOil

Quote:

Some variation of:

Marincin - Petry
Klefbom - Schultz
Ekblad - Nurse

I share the same concerns actually.
Ekblad would be a virtual lock, with the way MacT constantly gushes about Nurse and the fact that he showed well last preseason, i would expect him to at the very least get a 9 game tryout.
Marincin is showing pretty well this season and MacT thought that Klefbom was NHL ready even last season (although that mindset has probably changed due to his struggles) so it would seem that at the very least, that there will be 3 defensive rookies in the lineup next season if the Oilers select Ekblad and that's not including J. Schultz who plays like a rookie. Not exactly a recipe for success which leads me to believe that one or two of these guys will be dealt.
I can't imagine that MacT is dumb enough to place 3-4 rookies in the opening night lineup especially with the pressure to start freaking winning already being at an all time high, or maybe he IS dumb enough.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:41 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I'm curious as to why there's so much talk about wanting to take Reinhart and Draisatl (after Ekblad obviously) but very little about Bennett.
I haven't seen much of any of these guys (none of Bennett) but based on what i'm reading about them, Bennett seems to have an extra gear that the others don't and plays a more "in your face" style. I would think that would be more appealing for the Oilers considering all the fairies that we have up front.
I know that Draisatl has the size and Reinhart the 2 way ability but i'm surprised that Bennett isn't getting more mention on HFOil.
Reinhart to me seems a little soft, not sure if he's the best fit. Smart player but soft.
Most likely because not too many of us have seen Bennett. We are more familiar/have seen Reinhart and Draisaitl on numerous occasions or at least once or twice.

I really have no idea about Bennett. Have you seen him play, or are you just going by what you have read?

Old
01-14-2014, 08:43 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Most likely because not too many of us have seen Bennett. We are more familiar/have seen Reinhart and Draisaitl on numerous occasions or at least once or twice.

I really have no idea about Bennett. Have you seen him play, or are you just going by what you have read?
Just going off by what i've read unfortunately but man, does he seem intriguing like a more offensive Lazar. I think we need more abrasive forwards desperately even if he is a bit undersized.
It's a shame that he won't be in the Prospects Game, he was the main prospect that i wanted to keep an eye on.

I like Reinhart but he seems a little too calm for my liking, really like his overall game though. Haven't seen much of Draisatl but we could sure use a center of that size who is strong on the puck.
In all honesty, they all fill needs (Ekblad moreso than any of them).

Old
01-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Beerfish

Ekblad is the only guy I might want at all at the top.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Nic

Quote:

Some variation of:

Marincin - Petry
Klefbom - Schultz
Ekblad - Nurse

There is no way Klefbom makes the Oilers out of training camp or for any significant period of time next year unless he improves substantially. He's barely an effective player at the AHL level, let alone the NHL level.

I have little faith in Oilers management, but they won't break in Klefbom if he doesn't improve.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:25 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I share the same concerns actually.
Ekblad would be a virtual lock, with the way MacT constantly gushes about Nurse and the fact that he showed well last preseason, i would expect him to at the very least get a 9 game tryout.
Marincin is showing pretty well this season and MacT thought that Klefbom was NHL ready even last season (although that mindset has probably changed due to his struggles) so it would seem that at the very least, that there will be 3 defensive rookies in the lineup next season if the Oilers select Ekblad and that's not including J. Schultz who plays like a rookie. Not exactly a recipe for success which leads me to believe that one or two of these guys will be dealt.
I can't imagine that MacT is dumb enough to place 3-4 rookies in the opening night lineup especially with the pressure to start freaking winning already being at an all time high, or maybe he IS dumb enough.
the only way you can justify having 2 rookie defenceman on the roster is by having a bonafide #1 Dman ala Shea WEber, Chara, Suter, Doughty that can eat up 30mins a game. then you only have to worry about the other 90Min dman time with the other 5. assume you have ference to eat 20, schultz eating 25 you have 45 mins to split between the other 3 d limiting them to 15min a game each.

edit: i did not include petry as i would assume he would be a piece in a package to get a #1 d...........which just isnt happening unless Weber begs to get traded.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:32 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
There is no way Klefbom makes the Oilers out of training camp or for any significant period of time next year unless he improves substantially. He's barely an effective player at the AHL level, let alone the NHL level.

I have little faith in Oilers management, but they won't break in Klefbom if he doesn't improve.
I haven't been here for a while - but what happened to Klefbom? When I was suggesting last year that it might not be a good idea to pencil him in as a sure thing just yet, I got lambasted - because, well not sure.

Doesn't seem to be doing so great looking at the numbers, but for those that have watched some OKC, how does he look?

Old
01-14-2014, 09:33 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
the only way you can justify having 2 rookie defenceman on the roster is by having a bonafide #1 Dman ala Shea WEber, Chara, Suter, Doughty that can eat up 30mins a game. then you only have to worry about the other 90Min dman time with the other 5. assume you have ference to eat 20, schultz eating 25 you have 45 mins to split between the other 3 d limiting them to 15min a game each.

edit: i did not include petry as i would assume he would be a piece in a package to get a #1 d...........which just isnt happening unless Weber begs to get traded.
They will likely keep both in junior, save a year on their elc's and tank for McDavid next year.

Closed Thread