HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I agree. That's a legit top pairing. Then Petry and Ference can play as the 2nd pairing like they belong, and then let Ekblad (fingers crossed), Nurse, Klefa, and Marincin battle it out for a spot with Schultz on the bottom pairing. Suddenly our defense is actually NHL calibre
Yup, I'm not assuming it will be "easy", but if you can make those signings, or one of them and a trade, you're laughing. Playing Marincin, Nurse or Ekblad together as a 3rd pair looks alot more reasonable when you have that much more depth infront of them.

Old
01-14-2014, 01:28 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Don't loose you're mind. He could of just mad a typo.
Multiple times?

01-14-2014, 02:27 PM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
If we get Drais or Ekblad in the draft then I will be happy. It fixes one of the two problems we have. If we draft Drais we should send him back to the CHL, Ekblad by everything said is ready to play next year. We will have a few dmen that we can trade out for help either in net or a more established dman.

If we draft Ekblad then that leaves prospects like Marincin, Klefbom or Gernat can be moved for immediate help. In 3 yrs a combination of Nurse and Ekblad would be unreal for 15 yrs.

Old
01-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Bure80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
29GP - 97G - 95A - 192pts ...

I vote for German Gretzky..

Sure beats the stats R.Smyth put up for Banff Blazers
25GP - 100G - 50A - 15pts.
Same league
Tobias Rieder 2007-08 EV Landshut U16 Schüler-BL 34 113 64 177 59

Same league same year same team
Dominik Kahun 2010-11 Mannheimer ERC U16 Schüler-BL 30 69 137 206 14

Germany is a country full of little Gretzky's

Old
01-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
29GP - 97G - 95A - 192pts ...

I vote for German Gretzky..

Sure beats the stats R.Smyth put up for Banff Blazers
25GP - 100G - 50A - 15pts.
Draisaitl's numbers so far are basically exactly on pace with Nugent-Hopkins's draft year in the WHL. I will be ecstatic with any of the top 5 players available but Draisaitl is really really intriguing.

Old
01-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Re Bennett and Dal Colle, my understanding is that they're wingers, and that's probably the only reason there hasn't been more hype for them on this board.

I've seen a few people on the Prospects board mention they think Dal Colle should be #1.

For the Oilers, it's obviously Ekblad, then presumably a center, which is why there's the focus on Reinhart and Draisatl.

As they're both WHL guys, they'll be even more focus from the Oilers on them. If only one or both of them could get traded to the Oil Kings.
Bennett is a center.

Old
01-14-2014, 05:31 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Draisaitl's numbers so far are basically exactly on pace with Nugent-Hopkins's draft year in the WHL. I will be ecstatic with any of the top 5 players available but Draisaitl is really really intriguing.
I'm really warming up to the idea of drafting Draisaitl. On one hand, he needs to prove he can produce in an 82 game season. Coming over from Germany he only played 36 games and could definitely show signs of it coming down the stretch.

Having said that, drafting a big strong center is usually not a bad idea. I can't wait to see what these guys end up being listed at when they hit the combine.

Old
01-14-2014, 05:42 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I'm really warming up to the idea of drafting Draisaitl. On one hand, he needs to prove he can produce in an 82 game season. Coming over from Germany he only played 36 games and could definitely show signs of it coming down the stretch.

Having said that, drafting a big strong center is usually not a bad idea. I can't wait to see what these guys end up being listed at when they hit the combine.
I like this kid. But anyone we draft should be going back to juniors for another year. So he'll get the chance to adjust.
We have the "luxury" of slower development now because we really can't fit any more young players in the roster. It might actually work out for us.

Old
01-14-2014, 05:52 PM
40oz

The CHL Top Prospects game is on SN tomorrow at 7.

Team Cherry

Goalies
Ty Edmonds, Prince George, WHL
Alex Nedeljkovic, Plymouth, OHL

Defense
Anthony DeAngelo, Sarnia, OHL
Haydn Fleury, Red Deer, WHL
Aaron Irving, Edmonton, WHL
Roland McKeown, Kingston, OHL
Jacob Middleton, Ottawa, OHL;
Alexis Vanier, Baie-Comeau, QMJHL

Forwards
Daniel Audette, Sherbrooke, QMJHL
Ivan Barbashev, Moncton, QMJHL
Conner Bleackley, Red Deer, WHL
Michael Dal Colle, Oshawa, OHL
Chase De Leo, Portland, WHL
Robert Fabbri, Guelph, OHL
Nikolay Goldobin, Sarnia, OHL
Ryan MacInnis, Kitchener, OHL
Matt Mistele, Plymouth, OHL
Sam Reinhart, Kootenay, WHL
Nick Ritchie, Peterborough, OHL
Nikita Scherbak, Saskatoon, WHL

Team Orr

Goalies
Julio Billia, Chicoutimi, QMJHL
Mason McDonald, Acadie-Bathurst, QMJHL

Defense
Aaron Ekblad, Barrie, OHL
Aaron Haydon, Niagara, OHL
Julius Honka, Swift Current, WHL
Brycen Martin, Swift Current, WHL
Alex Peters, Plymouth, OHL
Ben Thomas, Calgary, WHL

Forwards
Clark Bishop, Cape Breton, QMJHL
Blake Clarke, North Bay, OHL
Eric Cornel, Peterborough, OHL
Leon Draisaitl, Prince Albert, WHL
Nikolaj Ehlers, Halifax, QMJHL
Josh Ho-Sang, Windsor, OHL
Brendan Lemieux, Barrie, OHL
Jared McCann, Sault Ste. Marie, OHL
Brendan Perlini, Niagara, OHL
Brayden Point, Moose Jaw, WHL
Jake Virtanen, Calgary, WHL
Spencer Watson, Kingston, OHL

*Sam Bennett and Nelson Nogier were invited, but are injured and won't participate.

Old
01-14-2014, 06:53 PM
rockinghockey

What do you guys know about the dman Fleury, what type of dman is he and is he a dman we should be looking at?

I haven't heard much about the goalie group this draft, is it that bad?

Old
01-14-2014, 07:22 PM
armandh01

I think I'm leaning towards picking a C, specifically Draisaitl this year. I would not be mad between him or Ekblad but the idea of having a 2C with a lot of similarities to Kopitar behind RNH is as enticing. Our org C depth is worse than our D prospect depth.

To me it's like having a future of Datsyuk and Kopitar down the middle, it would be very good and dynamic combo in their prime years. Assuming they develop well of course.

Old
01-14-2014, 07:36 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
I think I'm leaning towards picking a C, specifically Draisaitl this year. I would not be mad between him or Ekblad but the idea of having a 2C with a lot of similarities to Kopitar behind RNH is as enticing. Our org C depth is worse than our D prospect depth.

To me it's like having a future of Datsyuk and Kopitar down the middle, it would be very good and dynamic combo in their prime years. Assuming they develop well of course.
The difference for me is you can go get a more offensive #3C and plug him in with Perron and Yak, and they'd be ok. You can't do the same with the defense. Ekblad/Nurse/Klefa sets us up really well on the backend.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

drafting first overall really isn't as out of the question as a i once thought

IIRC Buffalo is like four points behind us and we've played four more games or something

yikes

Old
01-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Roof Daddy

Give me Bennett if Ekblad is off the board. Doug Gilmour v2.0.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:37 PM
rockinghockey

They are saying that the draft is now 5 deep, that sounds pretty good for me. We either need a dman for a 2C with size and it looks like we will be able to draft one.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

vCash: 50
Unreal suckage....just unreal. It's only January and we're talking first overall again. Holy ****.

I voted Ekblad. Fml.

Old
01-15-2014, 02:44 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
My only worry (well not only) is that, as someone else mentioned, we happen to get Ekblad (my top choice) is that the "braintrust" feel a need to have both he AND Nurse in the lineup next year, along with Marincin and Klefbom.

Some variation of:

Marincin - Petry
Klefbom - Schultz
Ekblad - Nurse

could be pretty good in a few years. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them insert 2 raw rookies in to the lineup trying to sell even more hope to the fans - but that d corps would get lit up like a Christmas tree - even more than this year's version.

Maybe one of Nurse, Klefbom, or Ekblad (if we get him) - but you can't have 2, especially if you assume that Marincin will be there too.

All aboard the express tanker to McDavid-ville...

Old
01-15-2014, 02:54 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I ask this in all seriousness... If the Oilers did get 2 more #1 picks... let's say Ekblad and McDavid... I wonder if there would be internal memos among opposing GM's actually complaining about potential intentional tanking by the Oilers "braintrust".

I could see an internal NHL special committee comprised of experienced managers, coaches and ex-players coming to the conclusion that no... there is no intentional tanking... the coaching, management and ownership of the Oilers organization is truly just that inept and incompetent.... carry on.

Old
01-15-2014, 05:06 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post

Draisaitl is who I would want if Ekblad is gone by the time we pick but in all honesty, I would rather have that pick traded for a number 1/2 defencemen. We need immediate help and if we aren't selecting Ekblad, I would prefer to have that pick traded. If we can't draft Ekblad and can't find the right deal for the pick, then draft Draisaitl.

Old
01-15-2014, 07:54 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
Draisaitl is who I would want if Ekblad is gone by the time we pick but in all honesty, I would rather have that pick traded for a number 1/2 defencemen. We need immediate help and if we aren't selecting Ekblad, I would prefer to have that pick traded. If we can't draft Ekblad and can't find the right deal for the pick, then draft Draisaitl.
Yes but who trades a top pairing defenceman? I don't think I move the pick for Buff or Yandle if we are still top 3.

Old
01-15-2014, 08:57 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

imagine we had our 2nd round pick lol with NJ having to forfeit a pick the perron trade jsut got alot more even with teh oilers having 2 top 30 picks

Old
01-15-2014, 09:21 AM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Give me Bennett if Ekblad is off the board. Doug Gilmour v2.0.
Ditto. Bennett is bigger and plays bigger than Gilmour. I'm going to have to start posting videos of Bennett soon, so that all of the WHL fans can get an idea about him.

I don't get the love affair with Drais. He's bigger, but by the accounts I've read he doesn't really use it. Do we really need another playmaker behind RNH?

Old
01-15-2014, 09:25 AM
OilerFan4Life

At what point does a kid pull a Lindros or Berard on us?

If you're Ekblad why would you want to play for this abortion of an organization?

Old
01-15-2014, 09:28 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Yes but who trades a top pairing defenceman? I don't think I move the pick for Buff or Yandle if we are still top 3.
I wonder if a top 3 pick plus Eberle gets us a D man like Weber? Maybe OEL?

How about 2014 first rounder, Eberle and Gagner for Hanzal and OEL?

Old
01-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
At what point does a kid pull a Lindros or Berard on us?

If you're Ekblad why would you want to play for this abortion of an organization?
I'm not really so worried about this as I am with Hall demanding a trade out if things don't turn soon.

A young player coming into the NHL is generally so happy to be fulfilling a dream, and most budding stars come from modest financial backgrounds that the idea of getting paid millions of dollars at age 18/19 is enough on their plate.

Besides the Oilers tend top play young players a lot and pay them handsomely too, lol, and there's always going to be some ego with a young high draft pick that he's the guy that's going to turn the situation around.

Closed Thread