HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2014, 10:36 AM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I wonder if a top 3 pick plus Eberle gets us a D man like Weber? Maybe OEL?

How about 2014 first rounder, Eberle and Gagner for Hanzal and OEL?
Actually I do think Nashville might bite on a package like Eberle + no.3 overall (say Draistal) for Weber. You might have to put Marincin or someone in also though.

Old
01-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Actually I do think Nashville might bite on a package like Eberle + no.3 overall (say Draistal) for Weber. You might have to put Marincin or someone in also though.
I think it's about as good as Nashville can expect at this point, realistically. It makes them a better team, adding guys like Eberle and possibly Bennet or Reinhart.

Old
01-15-2014, 10:47 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If someone like Nashville is moving a top 5 defenceman we obviously jump all over it. I just think it's a pipe dream.

Old
01-15-2014, 10:59 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

if its a top-5 pick, I cannot see the Oilers trading it unless its for a Weber or a Subban...the fact that there's not a true #1 guy could benefit us

I think the Oilers end up picking #3 overall...who I want:

1. Aaron Ekblad- legit top-pairing right shot d-man...could anchor the back-end for 15 years...good offensive instincts

2. Sam Reinhart- #1 center potential, right-handed...high IQ..does everything for Kootenay: scores, hits, plays PK, wins face-offs

3. Leon Draisaitl: big, strong centerman with Kopitar potential....natural offensive instincts that more of a disher than a sniper

4. Sam Bennett: another potential #1 center...people have said he looks like Gilmore...never takes a shift off...stock is rising big-time

5. Michael Dal Colle: Emerging power forward akin to Ryan Getzlaf (according to scout on Bob Stauffer's show yesterday)...playing LW on Scott Laughton's line but I've heard he's a natural center...maybe switches back to center with Laughton graduating next year?

Old
01-15-2014, 11:05 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Reinhart....sigh...I know he'll be good but the only way I'd draft him is if one of the kids is traded for size.

Old
01-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Buffalo is now 4 points back with 4 games in hand. I think we can rule out a "top 5" spot and start considering another 1st OV. We're bottom 2 with a bullet.

Old
01-15-2014, 11:12 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
Ditto. Bennett is bigger and plays bigger than Gilmour. I'm going to have to start posting videos of Bennett soon, so that all of the WHL fans can get an idea about him.

I don't get the love affair with Drais. He's bigger, but by the accounts I've read he doesn't really use it. Do we really need another playmaker behind RNH?
Yeah, Bennett is really intriguing but all i have to go on is second hand accounts. It really sucks that he's not going to be in the Prospects game.
It seems that he plays that abrasive style that so few of our current fowards play and has a good 2 way game to boot. My only issue with a player like him is if he can translate that physical style to the NHL level with an average size frame. It's hard to shake the thought of what happened to Brule when thinking about Bennett.

Old
01-15-2014, 11:42 AM
RebuildTheRebuild

vCash: 200
ISS has released their monthly rankings for this month. It has Ekblad as number one, then followed by Rienhart, Dal Colle, Nylander, and Bennet. Draisaitl is ranked 7th.

Here is the link

Old
01-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Soundwave

This is just my personal feeling, but I think come draft day ... 2 of the following 3

2014 Edmonton Oilers 1st round pick
Nail Yakupov
Sam Gagner

Will not be Oilers property any longer.

Old
01-15-2014, 11:55 AM
MessierII

Ek or trade there is no try

Old
01-15-2014, 12:07 PM
workedforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Buffalo is now 4 points back with 4 games in hand. I think we can rule out a "top 5" spot and start considering another 1st OV. We're bottom 2 with a bullet.
Flames will be getting considerably worse at the deadline I suspect, I'd say bottom 3 with a bullet.Sure would suck to draft behind them again though.

Old
01-15-2014, 12:11 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Yeah we are 8 points back of the Islanders and Panthers. We are also 10 points back of the 6th worst team in Winnipeg. With 33 games left in the season, it's definitely possible to fall out of the bottom 5 but not very likely.

Old
01-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Shizuka

I tend to trust ISS rankings alot more than the NHL's CSB. For overall consensus, it's also hard to beat Mackenzie's final rankings simply because he polls (head?) scouts from the organizations themselves. I still really like Virtanen from the Hitmen, though maybe it's a stretch to get him in the top 5 discussion (especially with the way our team is trending for a top 2 at minimum).

Whomever we pick, I hope they a) are competitive as hell, b) have a very high hockey IQ, c) have at least average to above average skating and edgework, as you just cannot play in the game today without being able to keep up. Draisaitl seems like an ok choice as a playmaker, especially if we are getting rid of Hemsky. I don't like his footspeed, but maybe with lots of work under Serdachny he can improve to a more suitable level. Sam Bennett sounds very intriguing.

Old
01-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 177
Reinhart is listed as 6.00.75 on ISS so he's pretty much 6'1". Does he play small or something? Because a lot of poster use the works "small" or just "average" when they express that he wouldn't be a good fit for the Oilers. He's about the same size as Seguin and will only gain more muscle as he matures. Wouldn't a player with the skills of Seguin (with better defensive skills) be a great fit on the Oilers right now?

Old
01-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Oilers View Post
Reinhart is listed as 6.00.75 on ISS so he's pretty much 6'1". Does he play small or something? Because a lot of poster use the works "small" or just "average" when they express that he wouldn't be a good fit for the Oilers. He's about the same size as Seguin and will only gain more muscle as he matures. Wouldn't a player with the skills of Seguin (with better defensive skills) be a great fit on the Oilers right now?
He looked kind of slight to me when I saw the TSN interviews at the WJC, and he is about the same size as Nuge was when he was in Red Deer. Pretty mature, well spoken kid, and he showed well at the WJC. One western conference team scout said he plays a little like Couture, very smart in his decision making with a low level of mistakes.

Old
01-15-2014, 01:11 PM
titsuple

vCash: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Oilers View Post
I think I would rather have Kopitar over Sequin

Old
01-15-2014, 06:21 PM
oil Leaks
Commissioner Gordon

Nice scouting report on Jake Virtanen from RLR good read. Would not mind picking him if we can some how acquire another 1st or if we are picking at a range where the centers are all gone.

Old
01-15-2014, 08:48 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
He looked kind of slight to me when I saw the TSN interviews at the WJC, and he is about the same size as Nuge was when he was in Red Deer. Pretty mature, well spoken kid, and he showed well at the WJC. One western conference team scout said he plays a little like Couture, very smart in his decision making with a low level of mistakes.
I was thinking the same thing about Reinhart, he has one brother that is smaller then another that is bigger. He is 10lbs heavier than what RNH was at the same stage of his career coming into the draft. RNH was 175lbs. We do need either Ekblad, 2C with size or a winger with size and an edge.

Old
01-15-2014, 08:51 PM
rockinghockey

I heard one scout compare Leon Draisaitl as Kopitar with his size and skill level. Hard to pass up on a player like that.

Old
01-15-2014, 08:52 PM
rockinghockey

Does anyone know anything about Brendan Perlini, LW with very nice size. He is no. 5 on Button's list.

Old
01-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I wonder if a top 3 pick plus Eberle gets us a D man like Weber? Maybe OEL?

How about 2014 first rounder, Eberle and Gagner for Hanzal and OEL?
Phoenix might consider trading OEL for Hall +

Old
01-15-2014, 09:08 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I heard one scout compare Leon Draisaitl as Kopitar with his size and skill level. Hard to pass up on a player like that.
It's funny because Paul Reinhrt said that he thinks Sam plays like Kopitar.

I think I'll "live tweet" this game on hfboards. That way anyone who can't watch the game can read what's going on.

Old
01-15-2014, 09:27 PM
DousedInOil

-Draisaitl playing physical to steal the puck. Takes the puck to the slot but fails to get a shot off.

-Dal Colle with a sick pass to Reinhart but can't bury it. Reinhart hits the post and looks deadly.

-MacDonald busy but looking solid.

-Honka with a brutal giveaway

-Ritchie is definitely noticeable with his size on the forecheck. So is Perlini.

-McCann using his sick hands

-Ehlers with a nifty move but can't take the pass on the give and go.

-Middleton fights Hayden. I guess he wants to prove how tough he is. Hayden does well but barely loses.

-DeAngelo really smooth skater but don't see his antics working in the NHL.

-De Leo and Ho Sang both showing some flash. I thought Ho Sang should have had one.

-Fabbri solid but small

-Goldobin and Sherbak probably the two best forwards in the first. Well outside Reinhart who should have had a goal.

-Ekblad great at keepin the puck in and isn't afraid to jump up in the rush.

-Clarke with a beauty on the powerplay but otherwise pretty meh.

-Dal Colle hits the post on one end and Ho Sang finally gets one the other way.

-Virtanen with a stick penalty. Overall been underwhelming and sloppy.

-Goldobin continues to impress with a slick goal. He is finally rewarded.

-Fleury definitely has potential. He's a big smooth skating defenceman but still has some learning to do. Probably Cherrys best defenceman.

-Martin impressing me. Always seems to be in the right place and making solid passes all night. Just did a good job jumping up into the play. Having a rough 3rd period though. Not sure what to think of him.

-Ritchie and McCann both impressing me but haven't really produced anything.

-Goldobin beats the goaltender but can't beat the post on the penalty shot. Sure has speed breaking down the wing.

-Ehlers has some serious speed and a great shot but hasn't really produced.

-Barbashev hits the post and has played physical. Really solid player.

-Reinhart and Goldobin are magic together. Great powerplay goal. Goldobin draws the penalty with his speed and calm play.

-Draisaitl makes a great play to get the puck but Elblad bobbles it at the blueline. Sherbak gets a breakaway from it but hits the post.

-Ekblad redeems himself with a great breakout pass to McCann but hits the post.

-Finally McCann gets one from Ho Sang.

Last edited by DousedInOil: 01-15-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old
01-15-2014, 09:29 PM
DrDrai

Does Leon Draisaitl look slow to you or is just his size?

Old
01-15-2014, 09:35 PM
koeltrain

vCash: 922
Draisaitl looks slow. Someone that knows more about skating mechanics can maybe take a closer look but it seems like he has slow (yet powerful) strides.

Closed Thread