HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2014, 09:52 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

vCash: 500
after watching last night's game, I can't fathom Reinhart and Ekblad not going 1-2...Reinhart really picked up his game as things went along and rose to the occasion in the 3rd, created plays all night

Ekblad looks like a man amongst boys out there...calm feet, assertive, big shot, confidant.

I thought Draisaitl started great but faded in the 2nd and 3rd

Dal Colle has a wicked shot and is a big boy...its too bad he's a LWer or I'd have no problem taking him

another guy that stood out for me was Jared McCann...plays a smart two-way game and scored a beauty for the game winner

Nick Ritchie is a BEAST...he'd be a load in the corners

Virtanen wasn't great but had his chances

Old
01-16-2014, 09:52 AM
CupofOil

I thought that Reinhart was brilliant last night.
First of all, he showed more speed than i thought he had and besides the obvious skill that he has, i was even more impressed with his overall game. Always in the right position, his vision is outstanding (that one pass towards the end of the game was ridiculously good, that guy was it Goldobin? should have buried it), was excellent on defense (very engaged defensively) and won just about every faceoff except for the last one of the game unfortunately. I've been kind of lukewarm on him but he really impressed me in that game.

Ekblad was really impressive also. I love the way he controls the game and makes it look so easy, he also jumped up in the play at times and showed an extra skating gear doing it. He's also a master at keeping the puck in, something that we sorely lack. My one gripe with him is that he's a bit loose with the puck in the D zone, he's kind of awkward with skating it out of the zone and coughed it up a few times in the 3rd due to slow decision making, but otherwise he's all the goods.

Ritchie was the other one that impressed me due to his physicality, he was a big time pest and looking to make big hits almost constantly. He really got under Ekblad's skin on several occasions. Would have liked to see more offense from him though.
Dal Colle has a heck of a shot, but outside of that i didn't notice him that much.
Draisatl was extremely disappointing. Slow, not really engaged and looked generally disinterested. For a guy who had a pretty subpar WJC, you would think that he would have come out guns blazing in this game and he just didn't have it.

My take from this game is that we'd be real lucky to get either Ekblad or Reinhart. Both would fill huge needs for us. I'm just disappointed that Bennett didn't play, he was the player that i was most interested in seeing.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Shizuka

I have to wonder what the reaction will be if we were to get Reinhart -- kid shows up to the big games, mostly, but again he's a slighter built C with high hockey IQ (not a minus obviously, I love those players who really think the game at a high level). Does he have it in him to be a #2 behind Nuge? Not a big body like Draisaitl, doesn't possess that extra gear like Bennett allegedly does. I'm still not completely sold on Ekblad, for a kid slated to go very high there are still warts in his game but with the desperate need for NHL calibre D on this atrocious back end, I can't see how we pass at this point.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:06 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Thanks to everyone for the updates on the game

Old
01-16-2014, 10:18 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
I have to wonder what the reaction will be if we were to get Reinhart -- kid shows up to the big games, mostly, but again he's a slighter built C with high hockey IQ (not a minus obviously, I love those players who really think the game at a high level). Does he have it in him to be a #2 behind Nuge? Not a big body like Draisaitl, doesn't possess that extra gear like Bennett allegedly does. I'm still not completely sold on Ekblad, for a kid slated to go very high there are still warts in his game but with the desperate need for NHL calibre D on this atrocious back end, I can't see how we pass at this point.
I generally feel the same way you do about Reinhart, i worry that he might be a bit redundant here, but he just has a special quality about him. I think his skills are very translatable to the next level, hockey IQ off the charts.

I would like to see more of Bennett to get a better idea of his game, but based on his style of play, i wonder if he can translate that at this size to the next level. He could be the next Mike Richards or the next Brule for all we know.
I think Reinhart is the much safer bet to be a good NHLer but again, i'd like to see for myself what Bennett is all about.

As far as Ekblad is concerned, i honestly don't see many warts in his game at all. He's one of the most well rounded 17 year old Dmen that i've ever seen and he looks effortless doing it. My concern with him is that his upside seems a bit limited and could very well be another Seabrook which is fine, but not franchise level.

In any event, the Oilers have so many holes to fill. Any of these guys would be a welcome addition.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Dabomb

I watched a bit of the prospects game last night and came away quite impressed with Nick Ritchie. This kid is huge (listed 6'2 and 218 lbs on hockeydb) and has been putting up a point per game in the last 2 seasons. He probably won't be a great top 3 pick, but if we were to trade down or something, he may be a great fit for the Oilers.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:31 AM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I generally feel the same way you do about Reinhart, i worry that he might be a bit redundant here, but he just has a special quality about him. I think his skills are very translatable to the next level, hockey IQ off the charts.

I would like to see more of Bennett to get a better idea of his game, but based on his style of play, i wonder if he can translate that at this size to the next level. He could be the next Mike Richards or the next Brule for all we know.
I think Reinhart is the much safer bet to be a good NHLer but again, i'd like to see for myself what Bennett is all about.

As far as Ekblad is concerned, i honestly don't see many warts in his game at all. He's one of the most well rounded 17 year old Dmen that i've ever seen and he looks effortless doing it. My concern with him is that his upside seems a bit limited and could very well be another Seabrook which is fine, but not franchise level.

In any event, the Oilers have so many holes to fill. Any of these guys would be a welcome addition.
I saw Reinhart screening and being a pest in front which is nice. Eddie Olzyck was pretty adamant about building from C first in an interview I saw. Then D/G. I'm some what torn between Ek and Rein. I thought Rein was verrry good lol.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:37 AM
dem

I actually looked at league standings today for the first time in quite a while...

So... one of Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl, or Bennett is pretty much a lock i guess..

Old
01-16-2014, 10:43 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
I saw Reinhart screening and being a pest in front which is nice. Eddie Olzyck was pretty adamant about building from C first in an interview I saw. Then D/G. I'm some what torn between Ek and Rein. I thought Rein was verrry good lol.
hopefully we get the #2 pick so we dont have to choose.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:23 PM
rockinghockey

Reinhart is slight but he is still 6"1" 185lbs, RNH was only 175lbs. I think Reinhart could be about 205lbs, that is pretty decent size for the NHL plus with that skill. He is a very good two way player it seems. If I had the choice between Ekblad and Reinhart I take the dman because we really need that but if Ekblad is gone I don't see how we can pass up on Reinhart though. I would put him back in the CHL for another year though. Give him a year to put 10lbs on which would be huge playing against men.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:27 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Reinhart is slight but he is still 6"1" 185lbs, RNH was only 175lbs. I think Reinhart could be about 205lbs, that is pretty decent size for the NHL plus with that skill. He is a very good two way player it seems. If I had the choice between Ekblad and Reinhart I take the dman because we really need that but if Ekblad is gone I don't see how we can pass up on Reinhart though. I would put him back in the CHL for another year though. Give him a year to put 10lbs on which would be huge playing against men.
Not sure tbh. I REALLY like Ekblad but I'd say organizationally our C depth is as bad or worse than our D. Nurse is a quality prospect, Marincin is looking good. After Nuge though........*crickets*.

1a/1b is enticing to me.

I wonder if we could some how pry his bro out of NY.

Last edited by armandh01: 01-16-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old
01-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Well, the thing that gives me pause a bit is that his oldest brother, Max, who is playing for Calgary's farm team in Abbotsford, is listed at 6'1" 185 lbs. Looking at Nuge now, I cannot imagine the kid putting on much more weight, just not in his genetics. If we're going to have Nuge as #1 we will need a big winger/C to handle those heavier forwards.

Old
01-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Calgary Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
Hi 'Calgary Oilers', Sam Reinhart looks like a fantastic player. He'd look good along with a number of other picks in that range I think, Thanks for sharing. Do you like Ekblad as well? He's going to be good.
I was at the game last night and the guys who impressed me the most were:

1. Ekblad - Love his size. When I saw him on the ice for the first time, I yelled to my friend "Ekblad is HUGE" and the scouts (nicely dressed too) sitting beside us stared and smiled at me and probably thought "We know!"
He has a presence on the ice. You know when he is out there. He reminds me of Pronger the season he was an Oiler. I am not saying he will be as good as Pronger. I am just saying that he is the type of player who can calm his team down by just being on the ice. He's that good. Period.

2. Middleton - Never heard of him until this game. He was involved in that one fight with Hayden and won. He also made a few good plays that stood out for me. He should be a good 2nd round pick (I haven't checked where he is rated yet).

3. Ho-Sang - I kept saying to myself "I wished he was a couple inches taller!!" because I like the player and would love him as an Oiler due to his ethnic backgrounds. He has skills and he was motivated last night. He can skate as well.

4. Dal Colle - He has size at 6'2" or so and he has a great shot. My buddy who is a Flames fan loves him and Bennett (and Ekblad).

5. Virtanen - Wow. I watched a couple Hitmen games last season and wasn't impressed with him at all. I didn't understand the hype until last night. He was everywhere! He is a true power forward. Not tall, but seems to be built like a tank. He's a tough kid. He can also skate and has a very good shot. He is a player that would be an Oilers managements’ wet dream.

6. Goldobyn - Skilled kid who had a heck of a game but not where we are drafting.

6. Reinhart - As advertised. He is a very skilled forward. The puck just seems to follow him and I counted 4-5 great scoring chances for him. After scoring in the 3rd period, I think I he shouted to himself "Finally!". I can understand if the Oilers (and many Oiler Fans) aren't interested in him due to his size though. He isn't a perfect fit in terms of size for the Oilers; however, he would fit right in as the #1A center here for the next decade. I love that he’s not afraid to go to the net to score. The Oilers need more of this in their players as well.

I went into this game trying to focus hard on 3 players: Ekblad, Reinhart and Draisaitl. I spent a lot of time narrowing down on Draisaitl's every shift because he was the unknown for me out of the 3. He's big and tall, with really wide shoulders. He skates weird though. He doesn't seem to have a high gear either (compared to all the other players around him). He's like Penner in that it doesn't seem like he hustles up and down the ice but relies more on good hockey sense to find his spots. On a positive side, I also see some Malkin-lite in him. He can handle the puck but had a really quiet game. I was really hoping he would impress me, because I really wanted to imagine him in an Oiler uniform.

I know it’s just one game and it’s an exhibition game to boot; however, I left with some really good impressions. The one that I can’t stop salivating about is Ekblad. I am just daydreaming, hoping and praying that the Oilers are lucky to end up with him this summer.

Side note: I wished Bennett wasn’t injured so I could see him in person.

Last edited by Calgary Oilers: 01-16-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old
01-16-2014, 02:38 PM
SterlingArcher

I watched the prospects game on TV and Leon looked big. Looked like he had size in spades compared to some other forwards already looked NHL ready with it. Faceoffs could be an issue but I liked how he would win puck battles and played a solid defensive game from what I saw.

Old
01-16-2014, 02:48 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Not that Colorado is a model franchise but they have Duchene, O'Rielly, Stastny, Parenteau, Landeskog and MacKinnon all up front.

I don't see why we couldn't run Hall, RNH, Eberle, Perron, Yakupov and Reinhart in our lineup.

We could still try to get a big winger and move another guy up or down depending on injuries.

Old
01-16-2014, 03:21 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Not that Colorado is a model franchise but they have Duchene, O'Rielly, Stastny, Parenteau, Landeskog and MacKinnon all up front.

I don't see why we couldn't run Hall, RNH, Eberle, Perron, Yakupov and Reinhart in our lineup.

We could still try to get a big winger and move another guy up or down depending on injuries.
you can never have enough quality centers...As SJ and Pittsburgh have proven
Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture all natural centers that move to the wing from time to time

Same with Crosby and Malkin...they often play on a line together

Although Ekblad would be my choice, I'm fine with RNH/Reinhart or Bennett or Draisaitl as a center duo

Old
01-16-2014, 03:25 PM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
you can never have enough quality centers...As SJ and Pittsburgh have proven
Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture all natural centers that move to the wing from time to time

Same with Crosby and Malkin...they often play on a line together

Although Ekblad would be my choice, I'm fine with RNH/Reinhart or Bennett or Draisaitl as a center duo
Yeah if Ekblad gets taken first, I'm okay with SR. You make a good point.

Also, if we end up getting bumped to 3rd or 4th, one of SR, Bennett or Draisaitl will be there which is calming.

Old
01-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post

I haven't had much of a chance to watch Ekblad play. But even if he is another Seabrook, I'm fine with that. That moves us farther along than another finesse forward. It sounds like this kid is ready to step into the NHL. Three years already in the OHL. Bigger than most of our D-Men. As bad as our 2C situation is, I'd take a killer defence over anything else at this point.

Old
01-16-2014, 03:38 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Is there a Brule issue with Virtnanen? I guess you never know but he sounds like a pretty decent pick if the Oilers are out of the top 5.

Just keep having flashbacks to Brule looking like a man amongst boys in junior.

Old
01-16-2014, 03:41 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Is there a Brule issue with Virtnanen? I guess you never know but he sounds like a pretty decent pick if the Oilers are out of the top 5.

Not to worry, lol.

Old
01-16-2014, 04:02 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Oilers can't take Ekblad... he's so mature he'd be 42 by the end of his ELC.

Old
01-16-2014, 04:24 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post

not at all, i have watched JV play at least a dozens times with teh hitmen, he reminds me of ANdrew Ladd when he played here. I would honestly project him to end up as a very similar version of Ladd

Old
01-16-2014, 04:44 PM
titsuple

If the oilers could trade for Griff Reinhart I would be all for drafting Sam

Old
01-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Beerfish

Ekblad is the guy we need the most by far, who is the 2nd rated dman in this draft?

Old
01-16-2014, 04:59 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Assuming Draisaitl doesn't drop off the face of the earth, it sounds like his skating is an issue but it sounds like a technical problem with his stride.

Right now, based on need, I'd probably say:

Ekblad

Draisaitl
Reinhart

Closed Thread