HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2014, 05:34 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Not often I agree with you but I definitely do in this case. Sure centers are hard to find but d-men are even harder to find. People keep crowing to improve the defense and this is likely the only way to do it.
Top centers hardly ever move around. I'm not sure where you get this idea that centers are easier to sign or trade for than defensemen.

I do agree though that defense is a bigger need, but it's going to be really really tough to find a top 6 center outside of the draft.

Old
01-17-2014, 05:40 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Top centers hardly ever move around. I'm not sure where you get this idea that centers are easier to sign or trade for than defensemen.

I do agree though that defense is a bigger need, but it's going to be really really tough to find a top 6 center outside of the draft.
Well defensemen aren't going to sign here and teams are unlikely to offload good defensemen for the small crappy forwards we have. There's no big hulking center that I can see available so draft the big defenseman. Drafting nothing but forwards hasn't solved a single thing for this franchise.

Old
01-17-2014, 06:38 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Well defensemen aren't going to sign here and teams are unlikely to offload good defensemen for the small crappy forwards we have. There's no big hulking center that I can see available so draft the big defenseman. Drafting nothing but forwards hasn't solved a single thing for this franchise.
So if Ekblad is off the board, do you trade the pick or pick the next best defenseman who is likely the 9th-10th best player in the draft?

Old
01-17-2014, 06:58 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
So if Ekblad is off the board, do you trade the pick or pick the next best defenseman who is likely the 9th-10th best player in the draft?
Trade it for immediate help.

Old
01-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Bangalter

I would just take Draisaitl if Ekblad is gone.

Old
01-17-2014, 07:12 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Trade it for immediate help.
Do you think that teams will give the Oilers what they need for a draft pick (Top pairing Dman, top center?).
I don't see it especially considering that there aren't any perceived elite level prospects in this draft.
I wouldn't mind dealing it either, I just think that we'll be disappointed with the return.

Old
01-17-2014, 07:15 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Do you think that teams will give the Oilers what they need for a draft pick (Top pairing Dman, top center?).
I don't see it especially considering that there aren't any perceived elite level prospects in this draft.
I wouldn't mind dealing it either, I just think that we'll be disappointed with the return.
I don't know but relying on yet another rookie is a road we've walked down a few times already. If you could package it for a top 2 center or a top 2 d-man then do it. The management of this team is far too fascinated with shiny toys. If Ekblad isn't available (and I think he should spend at least a year in junior) then get the best you can for the pick.

Old
01-17-2014, 07:38 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
I don't know but relying on yet another rookie is a road we've walked down a few times already. If you could package it for a top 2 center or a top 2 d-man then do it. The management of this team is far too fascinated with shiny toys. If Ekblad isn't available (and I think he should spend at least a year in junior) then get the best you can for the pick.
But Ekblad will be a rookie who will be replied upon plus highly drafted Dmen generally take longer to develop than highly drafted forwards in general. Ekblad is a shiny new toy as well, but you have would have no problem drafting him.

My point is that all you're saying about relying on a rookie and the shiny new toy syndrome is true, but why do those things not apply to Ekblad in your mind but do apply to the centers?

I understand that defense is a bigger need. but Ekblad isn't an immediate solution either. He could very well take a Hedman-like pattern of development and not be a legit top pairing guy for another 3-4 years at least. If you're looking for immediate help, Ekblad isn't the answer.

Old
01-17-2014, 07:40 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
But Ekblad will be a rookie who will be replied upon plus highly drafted Dmen generally take longer to develop than highly drafted forwards in general. Ekblad is a shiny new toy as well, but you have would have no problem drafting him.

My point is that all you're saying about relying on a rookie and the shiny new toy syndrome is true, but why do those things not apply to Ekblad in your mind but do apply to the centers?

I understand that defense is a bigger need. but Ekblad isn't an immediate solution either. He could very well take a Hedman-like pattern of development and not be a legit top pairing guy for another 3-4 years at least. If you're looking for immediate help, Ekblad isn't the answer.
That's why I said he should spend another year in junior. If we're lucky we draft McDavid.

Old
01-17-2014, 07:49 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
That's why I said he should spend another year in junior. If we're lucky we draft McDavid.
He's not going back to junior, I'd bet anything on that.
He already has grown man size, and MacT isn't likely to make any big changes to the D group.
Ryan Murray would have been in the NHL if he wasn't injured, Jones made the Preds in his rookie season, so will Ekblad.

Old
01-17-2014, 07:51 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
He's not going back to junior, I'd bet anything on that.
He already has grown man size, and MacT isn't likely to make any big changes to the D group.
Ryan Murray would have been in the NHL if he wasn't injured, Jones made the Preds in his rookie season, so will Ekblad.
Great. I can't wait to shoehorn another rookie into the lineup no matter who we draft.

Just trade the pick in that case. Take the toy away from the kids. So sick of this franchise being rewarded for failure while other franchises dip this low for a year or two then rebound.

Old
01-17-2014, 07:55 PM
Lindo

The only thing that worries me is Ekblad's skating and offense. If only we didn't win a couple games last year, coulda had Seth Jones.

Old
01-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
You're not going to get what you need with this pick on it's own, the only way is if it's included as part of a package.

If you put the 1st with a Petry and Klefbom/Marincin combo, maybe you have a chance.

Old
01-17-2014, 08:00 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
The only thing that worries me is Ekblad's skating and offense. If only we didn't win a couple games last year, coulda had Seth Jones.
Ekblad is scoring at a better pace than Jones did at the same age and on a team with less firepower. His offensive game is underrated.
I would say that his defensive game might be a bit overrated, seems to struggle with his positioning at times.

Old
01-17-2014, 08:02 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Great. I can't wait to shoehorn another rookie into the lineup no matter who we draft.

Just trade the pick in that case. Take the toy away from the kids. So sick of this franchise being rewarded for failure while other franchises dip this low for a year or two then rebound.
MacT emphasized that he's content with the direction of the team and wants to continue to draft and develop so don't expect much immediate help anytime soon.
I think it sucks too. Not a MacT fan at all.

Old
01-17-2014, 08:05 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
MacT emphasized that he's content with the direction of the team and wants to continue to draft and develop so don't expect much immediate help anytime soon.
I think it sucks too. Not a MacT fan at all.
If he thinks that he's kidding himself. Bettman should step in and start taking picks away from us.

Old
01-17-2014, 08:10 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
If he thinks that he's kidding himself. Bettman should step in and start taking picks away from us.
It's ridiculous, I know. Almost everything that comes out out of his, Eakins and the players mouths makes me cringe as if they're completely oblivious to what's happening here.
Hopefully, he's putting on a poker face but I'm not so sure.

Old
01-17-2014, 08:19 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
It's ridiculous, I know. Almost everything that comes out out of his, Eakins and the players mouths makes me cringe as if they're completely oblivious to what's happening here.
Hopefully, he's putting on a poker face but I'm not so sure.
We'll have to wait and see I guess. Losing only begets more losing.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:56 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Ekblad and Nurse are the future of this team

Old
01-18-2014, 12:07 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Ekblad and Nurse are the future of this team

You can add McDavid to the future,next year.

Old
01-18-2014, 12:11 AM
oil Leaks
Unit 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
You can add McDavid to the future,next year.
Forgot Sean Day and 2017 top pick

Old
01-18-2014, 03:24 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Ekblad is scoring at a better pace than Jones did at the same age and on a team with less firepower. His offensive game is underrated.
I would say that his defensive game might be a bit overrated, seems to struggle with his positioning at times.
This. I posted a quick recap of the production of top picks from the CHL a couple pages back and he's already at the top.

He's become a tougher kid to play against and will still have to get better positionally but their is just too much to like about the kid. He may not be a great puck rusher but he has an excellent outlet pass and is a beast along the boards in both the offensive and defensive zone.

Old
01-18-2014, 03:29 AM
FunkyChicken
Dishonor for Connor

Fortunately BPA and team need (center and defense) seem to match up well for the Oilers with the top 3-4 picks.

Old
01-18-2014, 10:51 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
His skating isn't that bad for a big guy. And he has shown a pretty good point shot which the oilers sorely lack. I'd take Ekblad and run really really fast if I was the Oilers.

I hated when the Oilers won those few games at the end of the season. But hey that moral victory of getting a few wins under our belt at the end of the season far out weighed the great additions that Monahan or Jones would have been this season. Or at least that's what so many fans here said last year.

Old
01-18-2014, 10:59 AM
shogun99

Next season out D core could look like Ference, J.Schultz, Petry, Marincin, Nurse and Ekblad. We will get eaten alive with that core next season. If Ekblad and Nurse start for us next season then we will need to replace two of Schultz, Petry or Marincin with veteran defensman.

Closed Thread