HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2014, 10:03 AM
  #776
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Next season out D core could look like Ference, J.Schultz, Petry, Marincin, Nurse and Ekblad. We will get eaten alive with that core next season. If Ekblad and Nurse start for us next season then we will need to replace two of Schultz, Petry or Marincin with veteran defensman.
IMO we can take Petry off that list unless we're adding for a top pairing guy. I know he takes a lot of heat, but I personally think he plays like a vet already.

notloilersfan is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 10:08 AM
  #777
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,226
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Next season out D core could look like Ference, J.Schultz, Petry, Marincin, Nurse and Ekblad. We will get eaten alive with that core next season. If Ekblad and Nurse start for us next season then we will need to replace two of Schultz, Petry or Marincin with veteran defensman.
Nurse and Ekblad > Belov and Nick Schultz.

It really cant be any worse than what we have right now.

I am the Liquor is online now  
Old
01-18-2014, 10:13 AM
  #778
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,753
vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Nurse and Ekblad > Belov and Nick Schultz.

It really cant be any worse than what we have right now.
It absolutely can get worse than what we have right now. All young D-man struggle at times. When we signed J. Schultz, most hockey commentators said how he was ready for the NHL etc etc.

Adding Ekblad + Nurse to arguably the worst D core in the NHL, which still has J. Schultz and Marincin (presumably) on the roster, ie 4 green NHL D-man, we might as well forfeit next season and starting talking to McDavid about his career post-hockey as a pharmaceutical sales rep after playing for this team.

Guys like Jones have needed guidance from guys like Weber to steady them, we don't have anything close to that (sorry thecaptainFerence), but we can help by adding some decent vets (not jobbers like Belov please).

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/QuadSig-OB.gif <-- Credit goes to The Nemesis.
Oilbleeder is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 10:19 AM
  #779
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,226
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
It absolutely can get worse than what we have right now. All young D-man struggle at times. When we signed J. Schultz, most hockey commentators said how he was ready for the NHL etc etc.

Adding Ekblad + Nurse to arguably the worst D core in the NHL, which still has J. Schultz and Marincin (presumably) on the roster, ie 4 green NHL D-man, we might as well forfeit next season and starting talking to McDavid about his career post-hockey as a pharmaceutical sales rep after playing for this team.

Guys like Jones have needed guidance from guys like Weber to steady them, we don't have anything close to that (sorry thecaptainFerence), but we can help by adding some decent vets (not jobbers like Belov please).
Vets come here when they are either massively overpaid or out of other options. That probably precludes us getting any "decent" vets.

Unless of course Mact fills one hole by creating another which is the mo of Klowe, so its probably not a stretch.

Darnell Nurse would likely have been our best dman this season. He made the team on merit in training camp. I dont mind replacing non nhl talent with nhl talent.

I am the Liquor is online now  
Old
01-18-2014, 10:22 AM
  #780
BlowbyBlow
Registered User
 
BlowbyBlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Nurse and Ekblad > Belov and Nick Schultz.

It really cant be any worse than what we have right now.
I'm going to get ripped for this, but at the end of the day this team can't assemble an NHL team let alone and AHL club. I think that guys like Marincin, Pitlick should get the rest of the season on the big club, and get them ready for next season to play here.

The thing is fans say don't bring up a player into this losing culture, but by now what has this team done - they have brought in Hall, RNH, Eberle, Gagner, Petry, Schultz, Yakupov - everyone young they have drafted or signed has been brought into a losing culture. Maybe Hemsky, and Smyth who remain with the team didn't come into that so that's the most forgone conclusion and statement you can't even make anymore. No one will be coming into a winning culture regardless when they come (at least at this point in time)

As for now we have to weigh the options is the WHL/OHL/QMJHL, ect (if that's where we get our player) is that player going to learn anything, get bigger, stronger, faster, ect, down there, because at this point I have no faith in Barons (OKC), or this club, but at least if Nurse or Klefbom see the NHL they can know what to prepare for, get experience and start challenging the regulars.

We also hear that they will lose there confidence, passion and I say what does this team have to lose at this point I would argue keeping players on a team going nowhere like Oklahama sends about the same message.

Edit: If you draft Ekblad give him a chance just like Nurse to win a job, if there better then your 5th - 6th dman let "those" guys sit out


Last edited by BlowbyBlow: 01-18-2014 at 10:29 AM.
BlowbyBlow is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 10:26 AM
  #781
BlowbyBlow
Registered User
 
BlowbyBlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Vets come here when they are either massively overpaid or out of other options. That probably precludes us getting any "decent" vets.

Unless of course Mact fills one hole by creating another which is the mo of Klowe, so its probably not a stretch.

Darnell Nurse would likely have been our best dman this season. He made the team on merit in training camp. I dont mind replacing non nhl talent with nhl talent.
I don't get all this protecting young d-man but not our forwards. I was baffled when Nurse didn't win a job out of training camp. RNH a guy that absolutely needed to go back to junior stays, and Nurse on most teams would go back yet on this team where the m.o. was keep young guys cuts him.

Its not like he'd be any worse than Petry, Schultz or anyone else.

BlowbyBlow is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 10:47 AM
  #782
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,365
vCash: 500
Nurse and Ekblad are both better than what we currently have in the lineup. My only worry is how much Eakins will have to play them. We should have 4 quality vets ahead of them in the lineup and only be giving them sheltered minutes.

If anyone doesn't think they can't handle bottom pairing minutes than they are selling these guys short. The only reason guys like Jones need an elite dman to learn from is because he's already playing top minutes.

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 10:48 AM
  #783
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,132
vCash: 500
Nurse needs to add about 10 pounds of muscle before he's ready to play here.

Ekblad is 25-30 pounds heavier than Nurse already.


Last edited by Soundwave: 01-18-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Soundwave is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 11:04 AM
  #784
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,656
vCash: 500
I just watched some video of Bennett and the kid really reminds me of Matt Duchene.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 11:43 AM
  #785
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,563
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I just watched some video of Bennett and the kid really reminds me of Matt Duchene.
That much of a puck hog eh?

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is online now  
Old
01-18-2014, 11:54 AM
  #786
Hall2Nuge2Ebs
Registered User
 
Hall2Nuge2Ebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,843
vCash: 50
I'd be tempted to keep Nurse and Ekblad in junior next season. Let them develop further and gain some more confidence by playing in the WJC. Marincin and Fedun look NHL ready so i would hand them roster spots for next season

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 11:58 AM
  #787
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,195
vCash: 500
Find a few vets and let the kids stay below where they can avoid stunted development. Has management not learned anything in this debacle?

Psycho Dad is online now  
Old
01-18-2014, 12:33 PM
  #788
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
So, we have 3 dmen on this team next year for sure in Petry, Ference and Schultz. I can see us adding at least one more dman and I think Niskanen would be a nice pick up. If we draft Ekblad he will make the team. That leaves two more spots available, I would resign Belov as the 7th dman. Sign another experience dman to play with Schultz and have Marincin in the AHL. Nurse needs to put some size on before being moved up to the NHL.

Ekblad all the way baby!!!!
Ference, Petry
Niskanen, Ekblad
UFA, Schultz
Belov
It is a a bit better than what we have now because adding Niskanen and the other UFA we would have more experience and be more stable.

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 12:45 PM
  #789
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,280
vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
So, we have 3 dmen on this team next year for sure in Petry, Ference and Schultz. I can see us adding at least one more dman and I think Niskanen would be a nice pick up. If we draft Ekblad he will make the team. That leaves two more spots available, I would resign Belov as the 7th dman. Sign another experience dman to play with Schultz and have Marincin in the AHL. Nurse needs to put some size on before being moved up to the NHL.

Ekblad all the way baby!!!!
Ference, Petry
Niskanen, Ekblad
UFA, Schultz
Belov
It is a a bit better than what we have now because adding Niskanen and the other UFA we would have more experience and be more stable.
I disagree it's any better. With Ference and Petry as first pairing, we'd be pretty much in the same boat as we are now. We can shuffle the bottom line(s) around all we want but until we get a legitimate top pairing, it's going to make little difference.

If that pairing isn't available at UFA(and it doesn't look like it is), you have to hope MacT can pull off a great deal to get them. Otherwise, we're waiting another 4 years until Nurse/Klef/Ekblad mature....and we still wouldn't know if they'd be a legitimate top line.

Oilfan2 is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 01:00 PM
  #790
Lewy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
It absolutely can get worse than what we have right now. All young D-man struggle at times. When we signed J. Schultz, most hockey commentators said how he was ready for the NHL etc etc.

Adding Ekblad + Nurse to arguably the worst D core in the NHL, which still has J. Schultz and Marincin (presumably) on the roster, ie 4 green NHL D-man, we might as well forfeit next season and starting talking to McDavid about his career post-hockey as a pharmaceutical sales rep after playing for this team.

Guys like Jones have needed guidance from guys like Weber to steady them, we don't have anything close to that (sorry thecaptainFerence), but we can help by adding some decent vets (not jobbers like Belov please).
I'm pretty much writing next season off anyways. There is no way enough pieces will be added / subtracted in order to make these guys competitive.
I had way to much optimism this past summer. So I'm going the other direction for the upcoming off-season.

Lewy is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 01:50 PM
  #791
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,753
vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Nurse and Ekblad are both better than what we currently have in the lineup. My only worry is how much Eakins will have to play them. We should have 4 quality vets ahead of them in the lineup and only be giving them sheltered minutes.

If anyone doesn't think they can't handle bottom pairing minutes than they are selling these guys short. The only reason guys like Jones need an elite dman to learn from is because he's already playing top minutes.
Here is the problem, on any functioning NHL franchise, both of those guys on the bottom pairing is fine, IF we had a top-4 worth a damn. Like you said, 4 quality vets ahead of them and that's fine. You'll live with the mistakes and move on.

Problem is, 3 of the 'locks' who are returning to this team consist of J.Schultz, Petry and Ference. Can't play D, can't play D consistently, can't anchor anything more than a 3rd pairing at this age.

As you said, if they are brought onto this team, there is a very legitimate chance that they will be relied upon in a significant way. So unless we're bringing in Pronger circa 2006 as the last vet(hell I think we have more chance to keep Marincin as the #4 considering how much Eakins favors him), there is a very good chance we might screw up their development or atleast hurt it.

Oilbleeder is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 01:55 PM
  #792
Shizuka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In purgatory
Posts: 1,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Here is the problem, on any functioning NHL franchise, both of those guys on the bottom pairing is fine, IF we had a top-4 worth a damn. Like you said, 4 quality vets ahead of them and that's fine. You'll live with the mistakes and move on.

Problem is, 3 of the 'locks' who are returning to this team consist of J.Schultz, Petry and Ference. Can't play D, can't play D consistently, can't anchor anything more than a 3rd pairing at this age.

As you said, if they are brought onto this team, there is a very legitimate chance that they will be relied upon in a significant way. So unless we're bringing in Pronger circa 2006 as the last vet(hell I think we have more chance to keep Marincin as the #4 considering how much Eakins favors him), there is a very good chance we might screw up their development or atleast hurt it.
Yup, very well put. I asked that earlier in the thread -- if it's Ekblad that we are able to get, do you keep him up? Same with Nurse. Really have to wonder what Nurse's reaction would be getting sent back down to junior though, because I don't think he'd be old enough to play in OKC yet. Too good for junior, not quite ready for the NHL... so then what? As far as getting vet help via FA, we'd have to overpay simply because of how atrocious the team is at the moment and no one wants to come to a perennial loser. How much, and how long of a term... I have some serious concerns we'll end up overpaying for a long time just to get that veteran presence, and then we're tied down.

Shizuka is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 02:50 PM
  #793
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
Yup, very well put. I asked that earlier in the thread -- if it's Ekblad that we are able to get, do you keep him up? Same with Nurse. Really have to wonder what Nurse's reaction would be getting sent back down to junior though, because I don't think he'd be old enough to play in OKC yet. Too good for junior, not quite ready for the NHL... so then what? As far as getting vet help via FA, we'd have to overpay simply because of how atrocious the team is at the moment and no one wants to come to a perennial loser. How much, and how long of a term... I have some serious concerns we'll end up overpaying for a long time just to get that veteran presence, and then we're tied down.
Nurse is a big boy, but before he comes to the NHL he needs to put some size on. It would not be wise to bring Ekblad and Nurse at the same time. The only reason I say Ekblad is because he has the size to play against men already. I am not say playing him on the top line but on the 3rd pairing with a vet dman would be very smart. Sign a UFA 3rd pairing dman to play with Ekblad and that would be fine as a 3rd pairing. The problem is we don't have enough NHL dmen on this team. Marincin is playing fine but he should still be in the AHL.

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 02:55 PM
  #794
Shizuka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In purgatory
Posts: 1,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Nurse is a big boy, but before he comes to the NHL he needs to put some size on. It would not be wise to bring Ekblad and Nurse at the same time. The only reason I say Ekblad is because he has the size to play against men already. I am not say playing him on the top line but on the 3rd pairing with a vet dman would be very smart. Sign a UFA 3rd pairing dman to play with Ekblad and that would be fine as a 3rd pairing. The problem is we don't have enough NHL dmen on this team. Marincin is playing fine but he should still be in the AHL.
Hmm, pretty close call between Nurse and Ekblad. Personally I'd plug in Nurse ahead of Ekblad, but that's me. We are definitely far too short of NHL D men to consider having both of them in the line up, maybe not even either.

Shizuka is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 03:11 PM
  #795
jukon
#Nailedit
 
jukon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
I'd be tempted to keep Nurse and Ekblad in junior next season. Let them develop further and gain some more confidence by playing in the WJC. Marincin and Fedun look NHL ready so i would hand them roster spots for next season
You think the world juniors play that big of a part in an NHL players career? I don't think so. I think the more time spent learning defense from people not a part of the Edmonton oilers is important.

jukon is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 04:35 PM
  #796
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Here is the problem, on any functioning NHL franchise, both of those guys on the bottom pairing is fine, IF we had a top-4 worth a damn. Like you said, 4 quality vets ahead of them and that's fine. You'll live with the mistakes and move on.

Problem is, 3 of the 'locks' who are returning to this team consist of J.Schultz, Petry and Ference. Can't play D, can't play D consistently, can't anchor anything more than a 3rd pairing at this age.

As you said, if they are brought onto this team, there is a very legitimate chance that they will be relied upon in a significant way. So unless we're bringing in Pronger circa 2006 as the last vet(hell I think we have more chance to keep Marincin as the #4 considering how much Eakins favors him), there is a very good chance we might screw up their development or atleast hurt it.
All good points. I've thought about this and it's all going to depend on what Eakins has to work with when the season starts.

If MacT fails to bring in vets I have no problem only brining in one of Nurse/Ekblad. The reason being we won't be good enough to make the playoffs anyways.

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 07:49 PM
  #797
Hall2Nuge2Ebs
Registered User
 
Hall2Nuge2Ebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,843
vCash: 50
This is how I see it:
1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Dal Colle

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 08:52 PM
  #798
oilersfan11
Registered User
 
oilersfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,211
vCash: 50
Buffalo loses 4-3 in the shootout against Columbus.

oilersfan11 is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 09:01 PM
  #799
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,132
vCash: 500
If we have both Ekblad and Nurse, I would simply let them compete for one spot in camp and keep the one who plays the best.

If it's too close to call, keep them both up for 9 games and decide then. If they both knock your socks off ... it's not the worst problem in the world to have, let them both stay.

But I'd be very calculating about it ... no one gets a roster spot just for showing up. Gotta earn it. The only way I keep both up is if they are both dynamite through 9 NHL games.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
01-18-2014, 09:50 PM
  #800
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,750
vCash: 500
Pretty sure the best our D has been all year was when we had the Nurse-Ference pairing in pre-season.

dustrock is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.