HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2014, 04:57 PM
oilers83

vCash: 500
Pretty interesting page these guys have put together "Consensus Draft Rankings". Gave each prospect a point value on some of the major draft lists.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-d...nsus-rankings/

Old
01-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If we have both Ekblad and Nurse, I would simply let them compete for one spot in camp and keep the one who plays the best.

If it's too close to call, keep them both up for 9 games and decide then. If they both knock your socks off ... it's not the worst problem in the world to have, let them both stay.

But I'd be very calculating about it ... no one gets a roster spot just for showing up. Gotta earn it. The only way I keep both up is if they are both dynamite through 9 NHL games.
Here is the conundrum though, lets say hypothetically Ekblad edges out Nurse. What do you do with Nurse?

Can't send him to the AHL. PB will do him no good. Do you send him to Junior after what looks to be an impressive season this year? Loan him to a SEL team?

01-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I would be find putting both Ekblad and Nurse on the team to be honest.

Keep Ference, Schultz and Petry around, bring in another Veteran guy or try to trade for a top pairing guy and go from there.

Nurse-Ference
XXXX-Ekblad
Schultz-Petry

Old
01-19-2014, 05:19 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I would be find putting both Ekblad and Nurse on the team to be honest.

Keep Ference, Schultz and Petry around, bring in another Veteran guy or try to trade for a top pairing guy and go from there.

Nurse-Ference
XXXX-Ekblad
Schultz-Petry
I think that vet would have to be very good, and an above average number defenseman in the #7 spot.

Honeslty, at what point does the NHL realize that this agreement with the CHL doesn't have the players best interest in mind and finally make a change?

Last edited by 40oz: 01-19-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old
01-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Yikes, a 19 year old rookie defenseman paired with 4-6 d-man Ference as a top pairing would make for an instant McDavid

Old
01-19-2014, 05:41 PM
ExOilerFan

Hall + J.Schultz for Weber

Weber/Ekblad
Nurse/Petry
Ference/Free Agent

Old
01-19-2014, 05:43 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Here is the conundrum though, lets say hypothetically Ekblad edges out Nurse. What do you do with Nurse?

Can't send him to the AHL. PB will do him no good. Do you send him to Junior after what looks to be an impressive season this year? Loan him to a SEL team?
Another year in Junior won't hurt him. He'll get to play in the WJCs too.

Old
01-19-2014, 05:45 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Hall + J.Schultz for Weber

Weber/Ekblad
Nurse/Petry
Ference/Free Agent
Just stop the Weber trades, it isn't going to happen.

Old
01-19-2014, 05:48 PM
rockinghockey

I hope that we draft Ekblad, my only worry is that EDM starts playing better and then don't get a chance to draft him. I would rather come in last place or win the lottery. I want Ekblad on this team so bad because that is what we need.

The only reasons why I would play Ekblad and not Nurse next year is because Ekblad is already physically developed and Nurse needs a good 15-20 lbs.

Old
01-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Just stop the Weber trades, it isn't going to happen.
If there's going to be a top defenseman in this league moved, it's going to be him. It's incredibly realistic to post trade proposals regarding Weber.

Old
01-19-2014, 05:50 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
If there's going to be a top defenseman in this league moved, it's going to be him. It's incredibly realistic to post trade proposals regarding Weber.
There's a reason why there's one moved every 4-5 years. It's not going to happen.

Old
01-19-2014, 05:56 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Even if he is going to be moved would he want to come to EDM. I doont see it. He is going to be moved to a team that is a cup contender, not a team that is in the bottom. He is 28, he is not going to want to come to a rebuild.

Old
01-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Myers888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
This is how I see it:
1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Dal Colle
If Calgary drafts Ekblad #1, Sabres - Reinhart #2..... What would it take for the Oilers to trade #3?
Would Pysk + ??? Work?

Old
01-19-2014, 06:32 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Yikes, a 19 year old rookie defenseman paired with 4-6 d-man Ference as a top pairing would make for an instant McDavid
Isn't that the idea?

Old
01-19-2014, 06:47 PM
shogun99

Quote:
I think Subban will be moved before Weber is. He's going to take Montreal to the cleaners for his low ball bridge contract fiasco.

Old
01-19-2014, 06:48 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myers888 View Post
If Calgary drafts Ekblad #1, Sabres - Reinhart #2..... What would it take for the Oilers to trade #3?
Would Pysk + ??? Work?
hopefully we trade the pick unless we get the #1 overall pick... there doesn't look to be any elite players in this draft, except *maybe* ekblad (and he isn't even a sure thing IMO).... reinhart looks like a guy who be drafted 7th-10th in most years, and he is going to be a top-3 guy this year

terrible, terrible draft year, so unless we get the big prize, i hope we trade the pick for immediate help

Old
01-19-2014, 06:57 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Even if he is going to be moved would he want to come to EDM. I doont see it. He is going to be moved to a team that is a cup contender, not a team that is in the bottom. He is 28, he is not going to want to come to a rebuild.
How many times does someone have to say this? He does not have ANY kind of clause that would prevent him being traded to the Oilers or anywhere else..nada, nothing, zilch, zero...Jeezzz..

Old
01-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Cerebral

I'm warming to the idea of taking Sam Bennett. Who here has seen him play? I've heard he plays a someway gritty game. His skill-set might be a better pairing with RNH than Dal Colle. I love what Draisatl can provide but he seems too inconsistent for my liking.

01-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Wouldn't the Flames be more likely to draft Reinhart if they choose first?
I don't recall Ekblad ever being called the BPA, and historically forwards are safer picks to pan out. Just like why we took RNH over Larsson.

Old
01-19-2014, 09:19 PM
ManofSteel55

I hope there is a d-man on the market that we can trade the pick for. Get a legitimate top pair guy for now. That is our largest hole. I'm tired of this team losing, and another prospect isn't going to help us enough to make us better now. Hell, we may as well trade every pick in the draft this year if we can to get either guys who can fill out our roster, or picks in next years draft. Let MacT and the boys take draft weekend off, ha ha.

Old
01-19-2014, 10:14 PM
nexttothemoon
10 again

Just updating everyone on the draft odds:

If the Oilers finish 30th:

25% chance of drafting at #1
75% chance of drafting at #2

If the Oilers finish 29th:

18.8% chance of drafting at #1
25.0% chance of drafting at #2
56.2% chance of drafting at #3

If the Oilers finish 28th:

14.2% chance of drafting at #1
43.8% chance of drafting at #3
42.0% chance of drafting at #4

I was just looking at what the odds were and thought I'd post them because I'm sure it will be asked about several time in the next few months.

Old
01-19-2014, 10:51 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
I hope there is a d-man on the market that we can trade the pick for. Get a legitimate top pair guy for now. That is our largest hole. I'm tired of this team losing, and another prospect isn't going to help us enough to make us better now. Hell, we may as well trade every pick in the draft this year if we can to get either guys who can fill out our roster, or picks in next years draft. Let MacT and the boys take draft weekend off, ha ha.

Sounds like a great idea but who's this top end d-man that somebody is going to trade away? Montreal doesnt make sense for us as a trading partner, they've been called out as being a team of smurfs for to long. They've got a goaltender, some good prospects up front and Subban as a top end d-man. Why would they give up that d-man for just what they dont need the small skilled forwards we have and a draft pick they could use to get a top end d-man that will take years to develop.

It's hard to believe Nashville would trade away Weber but it makes more sense than Subban from Montreal. He doesnt have a no trade clause so he gets no say on where he goes plus they have Jones to replace him. Still they've paid a lot of cash outfor him the last couple years they'd want a big return in trade.

Old
01-19-2014, 11:04 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

I was just looking at what the odds were and thought I'd post them because I'm sure it will be asked about several time in the next few months.
Our ideal situation would be to finish first with Buffalo staying in second. Ekblad seems like the best possible pick for the Oilers and Buffalo is at least somewhat unlikely to select him given their picks of Zadorov and Ristolainen high in the first round last year. Given that, we'd have a good chance of getting him even if the Sabres won the lottery.

Unfortunately, Calgary is flat out terrible and I wouldn't be shocked if Ekblad is number one on their draft board. I also wouldn't be surprised at all if they end up finishing below the Oilers.

Given all of this, I'm starting to pay a lot more attention to Draisatl, Bennett, and Dal Colle who seem like three guys we have a very realistic chance of choosing. Of the 3, Bennett is who I'm leaning towards at the moment.

Old
01-19-2014, 11:47 PM
hallhopkinseberle

I just wish we trade one of Marcinin/Klefbom+ for a #2/#3 d-man

Old
01-20-2014, 02:38 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

That's why we should be dead last!