HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2014, 03:07 AM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Here is the conundrum though, lets say hypothetically Ekblad edges out Nurse. What do you do with Nurse?

Can't send him to the AHL. PB will do him no good. Do you send him to Junior after what looks to be an impressive season this year? Loan him to a SEL team?
If Alex Pietrangelo can spend 2 years in junior after being drafted, so can Darnell Nurse.

Absolutely no harm in keeping him down there for another year.

Old
01-20-2014, 03:11 AM
BarDownBobo

If the Oil get another first rounder this year I'd love to see them take Ivan Barbashev. Not the biggest guy out there, but he's one of those guys who will finish the check every chance he gets. And he's got the skill to be a difference maker. He could potentially be a long term solution as the 2C.

Old
01-20-2014, 04:04 AM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Just stop the Weber trades, it isn't going to happen.
This x 1000. Maybe Nashville will trade Weber in 3-4 seasons if Seth Jones by then has evolved to a good #1 D. But before that? Aint gonna happen.

Old
01-20-2014, 05:47 AM
oStealthKiller

Eberle gagner schultz 2015 first for weber?

Old
01-20-2014, 07:33 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
If Alex Pietrangelo can spend 2 years in junior after being drafted, so can Darnell Nurse.

Absolutely no harm in keeping him down there for another year.
couldn't agree more

Old
01-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
How many times does someone have to say this? He does not have ANY kind of clause that would prevent him being traded to the Oilers or anywhere else..nada, nothing, zilch, zero...Jeezzz..
My guess is every third page.

The Oilers and Preds are ideal trade partners given their strengths and deficiencies. It's clear MacT has been in close contact with Poile given the recent trade. In hockey terms it was a trade that filled a need for us, in business terms it was a bit of financial relief for Nashville. This could be a sign of good faith to get the conversation going in the off-season. What we do know is Nashville is the 24th ranked franchise in terms of value and operate at about even/minor losses (though this includes an arena subsidy of 8mil per year). Shea Weber will get bonuses each of the next 4 seasons on July 1st of 13, 13, 8 and 8 million, and combined with the bonus, a salary of 14, 14, 12 and 12 million. One of the best defenceman in the world? Yes, but not an ideal situation for a break even franchise.

The cost? It starts with Hall and increases significantly from there. In talking to Nashville fans (who many are coming to terms they may have to trade Weber if they want offensive stars), the agreeable price appears to be Hall, Eberle and J Schultz. Steep, but I do it without hesitation. The leadership/mentoring Weber will provide for Nurse and (potentially) Ekblad is worth nearly as much as the on ice product. We'd still have Perron-Nuge-Yak as a first line. With an improved D we also become a better destination for a UFA goalie, which we appear to be relying on (barring trade).

For Nashville, they get 2/3 of a first line and a 4/5 D next year. They have a world class goalie already, and Schultz likely pairs with stay at home stalwart Klein (leaving Josi-Jones as their top pairing). Depending on where they draft, they might nab a guy like Draisaitl (who I think falls out of the top 5). Not to mention, depending on what Schultz signs for, they could have all 3 players making what Weber will make the next 2 years (14vs6+6+2).

It may be wishful thinking, but it is certainly possible.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
The cost? It starts with Hall and increases significantly from there. In talking to Nashville fans (who many are coming to terms they may have to trade Weber if they want offensive stars), the agreeable price appears to be Hall, Eberle and J Schultz. Steep, but I do it without hesitation. The leadership/mentoring Weber will provide for Nurse and (potentially) Ekblad is worth nearly as much as the on ice product. We'd still have Perron-Nuge-Yak as a first line. With an improved D we also become a better destination for a UFA goalie, which we appear to be relying on (barring trade).
So, we trade for Weber for the privilege of becoming the predators: all D with nothing up front.

Hall+Eberle+Schultz is just a disgustingly awful trade proposal. Thankfully, it's pure fantasy.

Old
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myers888 View Post
If Calgary drafts Ekblad #1, Sabres - Reinhart #2..... What would it take for the Oilers to trade #3?
Would Pysk + ??? Work?
Bennett is still an excellent player and we need a C. He honestly might be a better fit for us than Reinhart because he is much grittier (drawn comparisons to Richards/Gilmour). My guess is we make the pick, but for the sake of value I'll say the NYI 1st + BUF 2nd 2015.

Old
bsmith14

If the Oilers can't pick Ekblad I think we should trade down and try and pick up a veteren dman. Haydn Fleury, Roland McKeown, and Jared McCann all look like good players that could be had outside the top 5.

Old
01-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
So, we trade for Weber for the privilege of becoming the predators: all D with nothing up front.

Hall+Eberle+Schultz is just a disgustingly awful trade proposal. Thankfully, it's pure fantasy.
Perron-Nuge-Yak. Do you currently see that type of offensive skill on the Preds? Hell, I bet Gagner could be their offensive catalyst right now.

If it's that big of a fear, we draft Reinhart.

I think people overvalue Hall and Ebs way too much. Very one dimensional.

I also think people overlook what kind of offence Weber could bring, particularly to the PP. He's averaged around 18 goals and 50 points for his career, but with what for a supporting cast? In his second year he had Kariya and Forsberg at the end of their careers, other than that it's been Legwand/Dumont/Sullivan - 2nd line talents. You put him on the PP with Nuge/Yak/Perron and watch the boost in numbers.

Old
01-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Perron-Nuge-Yak. Do you currently see that type of offensive skill on the Preds? Hell, I bet Gagner could be their offensive catalyst right now.
That's not a good first line. Then there's the question of the rest of the top six. So instead of having one major hole to fill on the blueline, you have like four up front.

Quote:
If it's that big of a fear, we draft Reinhart.
Oh yes a rookie will solve all our problems.

Quote:
I think people overvalue Hall and Ebs way too much. Very one dimensional.
That's nuts. Hall is a top player in the league and he's not even close to his prime. Eberle is limited, but he's a 60 point player, those aren't that common. Adding young Schultz is just insult to injury. Pronger in his prime never got that kind of return.

Quote:
I also think people overlook what kind of offence Weber could bring, particularly to the PP. He's averaged around 18 goals and 50 points for his career, but with what for a supporting cast? In his second year he had Kariya and Forsberg at the end of their careers, other than that it's been Legwand/Dumont/Sullivan - 2nd line talents. You put him on the PP with Nuge/Yak/Perron and watch the boost in numbers.
Ha ha. "Weber only had second line talent to work with in Nashville: imagine what he could do with second line talent in Edmonton!”

Old
01-20-2014, 11:25 AM
dasivon

Quote:

The Oilers and Preds are ideal trade partners given their strengths and deficiencies. It's clear MacT has been in close contact with Poile given the recent trade. In hockey terms it was a trade that filled a need for us, in business terms it was a bit of financial relief for Nashville. This could be a sign of good faith to get the conversation going in the off-season. What we do know is Nashville is the 24th ranked franchise in terms of value and operate at about even/minor losses (though this includes an arena subsidy of 8mil per year). Shea Weber will get bonuses each of the next 4 seasons on July 1st of 13, 13, 8 and 8 million, and combined with the bonus, a salary of 14, 14, 12 and 12 million. One of the best defenceman in the world? Yes, but not an ideal situation for a break even franchise.

For Nashville, they get 2/3 of a first line and a 4/5 D next year. They have a world class goalie already, and Schultz likely pairs with stay at home stalwart Klein (leaving Josi-Jones as their top pairing). Depending on where they draft, they might nab a guy like Draisaitl (who I think falls out of the top 5). Not to mention, depending on what Schultz signs for, they could have all 3 players making what Weber will make the next 2 years (14vs6+6+2).

Hall, Eberle and Schultz? No kidding that's what the Preds want.

I start with Yakupov and Schultz and another piece.

No one can compete with whatever our offer ends up being, but there is zero chance MacT trades Hall IMO. The leader of the young guns, our best player, our first #1 overall.

Pronger would get you a promising forward (Lupul in two cases), a young D (Smid/Sbisa) and 2 first round picks.

Paying through the nose for us, while maintaining our core, would be Yakupov, Schultz and 2 first rounders hopefully in 2015 and 2016.

Old
01-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Oilception

vCash: 50
I dont want to trade Hall ever

Eberle, Schultz, the first, some other pieces but im not giving Hall Eberle and Schultz

Just my Opinion, I would give alot but Hall/Nuge are off the table

Old
01-20-2014, 11:34 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Eberle, Schultz and a 2015 1st for Weber is a fair deal.

Oilers get the #1 dman they need in his prime

Preds get an All-star RW locked into a decent contract, an offensive dman to pair with Josi or Jones for the long term future and a #1 pick in a deep draft with the potential to get connor mcdavid. While the pick may not be the 1st overall you do have an extra chip to trade up into that realm.

Old
01-20-2014, 11:39 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I'd be willing to offer Eberle, J Schultz, and our 2014 1st for Weber.

Old
01-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Halibut

A deal with Nashville makes some sense. They've got depth on D that they could use to replace Weber, we've got skill up front to replace whoever we trade them including Hall if it came to it. They take a hit if they trade away Weber in his prime that's for sure and that makes it hard to put a deal together but it is possible. I dont see any other top end d-man that another team might be willing to trade away. Subban out of Montreal is just lunacy, no way they do it for anything we have to offer only way we get him is via a rfa offer sheet and that went so well the last time we tried it.

Old
01-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
A deal with Nashville makes some sense. They've got depth on D that they could use to replace Weber, we've got skill up front to replace whoever we trade them including Hall if it came to it. They take a hit if they trade away Weber in his prime that's for sure and that makes it hard to put a deal together but it is possible. I dont see any other top end d-man that another team might be willing to trade away. Subban out of Montreal is just lunacy, no way they do it for anything we have to offer only way we get him is via a rfa offer sheet and that went so well the last time we tried it.
I don't think we need Weber. If their GM is as crazy about keeping him and Jones as their fans are then maybe we could target Josi or even Ellis.

Of course since we're dropping the return, the ask has to be much lower as well. They aren't getting any of our big 4 for those players. Our 1st is a possibility as long as it doesn't finish top 3

Old
01-20-2014, 09:49 PM
DousedInOil

Florida and Islanders both with wins tonight. We are now 13 points back of Winnipeg, Nashville and Carolina. I just don't see us having any chance of catching any of those teams. We would have to win 7 more games than those teams. We would probably have to go 23-8-0 to make up the difference.

30. Buffalo 47GP 33P
29. Edmonton 51GP 36P
28. Calgary 49GP 39P
27. Florida 49GP 45P
26. Islanders 51GP 47P
--------------------------
25. Winnipeg 50GP 49P
24. Nashville 50GP 49P
23. Carolina 48GP 49P

I also don't see us catching Florida and the Islanders. They probably finish with 75+ points meaning we would need 40 points or go 20-11-0 to finish the season.

Top three here we go!

Old
01-20-2014, 10:13 PM
Arpeggio

In all honesty we're probably looking at a last place finish here. Buffalo's the only team I can see the Oilers staying ahead of, and it's a pretty dead heat.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:22 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
In all honesty we're probably looking at a last place finish here. Buffalo's the only team I can see the Oilers staying ahead of, and it's a pretty dead heat.
They'll make up that ground in the two games we play them.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:38 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:

Talking with fans is not any kind of way to measure a player's worth. They grossly overvalue their own players, and rarely take into consideration the financial impact in a league where contracts are traded these days, not players.

It's possible the contract may be a catalyst for the new ownership group to come out and demand Poile trade Weber(something Friedman has been hinting at), but it's far more likely that they'll try to add to the forward group than trade one of their few marketable players despite the money they will have to pay out to do that.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:58 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Must outtank Calgary. If they take Ekblad right before us, I might cry.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:59 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
I'd be willing to offer Eberle, J Schultz, and our 2014 1st for Weber.
I could see this being the deal for Weber, only for 1 reason.

If the Preds were ever to trade Weber it would only be because a) he demands a trade (unlikely) b) Financial problems and inability to pay the contract or maybe c) Pressure from mgmt/fans to get offense

So if he was to be traded it wouldnt be for fair value, it would be like a situation in how we got Pronger (financial problems with STL), and how we lost Pronger (Demanded trade)

If this is the case, Im sure other teams will be submitting offers, but I think ours would win because a) Eberle is signed already to 6m contract, with the cap going up, any comparable player not under contract will resign for 7-7.5 m. b) Schultz is an offensive D and wont resign for bigger $ until 3-4 years from now, good potential to. He would excel in Nashville were hed be sheltered. c) They can use the high pick to choose who theyd want, this gives them great flexbility to pick a player who suits their need d)Eberle is a recognizable name that could be used to sell tickets, the 2nd OA pick also generates interest

Webers contract is pretty big right now, but in the future the cap hit as % of the cap will continue to decrease, making the contract better and better.

Anyway,thats my two cents. I believe his Fair Value is better than Eberle,1st,Schultz. But Nashville would never trade Weber if they werent forced to.

Old
01-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Must outtank Calgary. If they take Ekblad right before us, I might cry.
There's no way we're overtaking them in the standings. This team is built to lose, and lose badly.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
01-20-2014, 11:28 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I would almost 100% guarantee that a team in a BIG market would grab Weber if he actually ever became available... think Philly/Detroit/Rangers.

Oilers would no doubt be in the mix but I highly doubt they beat out the true shark GM's of the NHL for that #1D asset.

Closed Thread