HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2014, 10:51 PM
RisingSun

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Updated the OP because hoping for Ekblad is the only thing that brings me Oilers related joy.
What happens if Calgary grabs Ekblad this year and then grabs McDavid next year; and they end up running a Crosby(McDavid) - Toews (Monahan) - Weber (Ekblad) system and win every cup for the next decade?

Old
01-22-2014, 10:52 PM
okgooil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
What happens if Calgary grabs Ekblad this year and then grabs McDavid next year; and they end up running a Crosby(McDavid) - Toews (Monahan) - Weber (Ekblad) system and win every cup for the next decade?

Sweet god. I will jump of the high level

Old
01-22-2014, 10:53 PM
ponokanocker

Bennett sounds really intriguing if we miss on Ekblad. Reinhart sounds like the better prospect, but if we drop to 3rd, Bennett sounds like a great option. Not the tallest guy in the world, but plays tough and edgy(Mike Richards) and has very good skill. That combination is exactly what we need in a 2nd C for our passive wingers, outside of Perron.

I really think we pick 3rd this draft. Calgary was a playoff team for a little while at the start of the year but have the worst record in the league since that hot start. Even with our losing streak, I still think they drop below us and Buffalo isn't going anywhere.

Old
01-22-2014, 10:54 PM
RisingSun

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
And I don't think a single soul will blame you.

I'm honestly scared that this will become a reality.

Old
01-22-2014, 11:06 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Bennett sounds really intriguing if we miss on Ekblad. Reinhart sounds like the better prospect, but if we drop to 3rd, Bennett sounds like a great option. Not the tallest guy in the world, but plays tough and edgy(Mike Richards) and has very good skill. That combination is exactly what we need in a 2nd C for our passive wingers, outside of Perron.

I really think we pick 3rd this draft. Calgary was a playoff team for a little while at the start of the year but have the worst record in the league since that hot start. Even with our losing streak, I still think they drop below us and Buffalo isn't going anywhere.
Yeah the thought of drafting him is growing on me, I was reading some scouting reports on him and I liked this quote from one of his peers.
Quote:
"He's someone you have to have good timing on or you’re going to get blown around wide," says Ottawa 67's defenceman Jacob Middleton, whose team is in the same division as the Fronts. "The core strength he has must be something else too because he can out-battle guys."
and another

Quote:
Perlini was a teammate in Niagara of two-time Team Canada forward Ryan Strome last season. The IceDogs sniper notes Bennett has an extra gear.
"I try not to pay attention to what other guys are doing, but I notice how hard he goes after the puck," Perlini says. "Stromer, he was more skill and finesse. Don’t get me wrong, he was a good two-way player. But Bennett has grit to his game."
Here's the link

Last edited by 40oz: 01-22-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old
01-22-2014, 11:31 PM
Shizuka

Yup, I'd almost place Bennett above Draisaitl on my personal draft wishlist -- a good skater, maybe less skilled than the top 2-3 but plays a grittier, complete 200 foot game. Virtanen scored another 2g the other night as well. I like Haydn Fleury and Julius Honka as far as D prospects go, but unless MacT parlays some current roster players into draft picks, we won't be picking for a while after our 1st -- and this is not a particularly deep draft (as MacT himself has noted).

Old
01-23-2014, 12:38 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:

Flames won tonight and I don't see the Oilers catching them anytime soon.

I suppose they could win the lottery but the odds favour the Oilers more than the Flames in this regard, and to be honest, if there is one thing this team has been extraordinarily good at over the last 5 years, it's winning the lottery when they are in a reasonable position to win it.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
01-23-2014, 12:46 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post

I suppose they could win the lottery but the odds favour the Oilers more than the Flames in this regard, and to be honest, if there is one thing this team has been extraordinarily good at over the last 5 years, it's winning the lottery when they are in a reasonable position to win it.
Yup, big big win. Calgary +5 on us, Buffalo holding 4 games in hand. Got my eyes set on Ekblad, so keeping them fingers crossed.

Old
01-23-2014, 12:56 AM
redgrant

Quote:

I believe in Oilers management. Well get Ekblad and Mc David and ice:

Hall - Iginla
RNH - Sakic
Eberle - St Louis
Yakupov - Bure
Mc David - Crosby
Ekblad - Weber
Nurse - Pronger

Win cups next 10 years...

OR (more likely)

It will end up looking how it looks

Hall - Brad Isbister
RNH - Alexander Daigle
Eberle - Steve Kelley
Yakupov - Pavel Brendl
McDavid - Patrik Stefan
Ekbald - Danny Syvret
Nurse - Alex Plante

Old
01-23-2014, 02:44 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:

From what I've seen I don't think McDavid will be Crosby good, I'm damn near positive Monahan won't be Toews good, and Ekblad I would bet against him being Weber good, but I guess we will see; also even if you are the worst team it would still take pretty decent luck to get 1st overall in back to back years.

Is Bennet's team playing anytime in the near future on Sportsnet, I still haven't had a chance to see him play. Right now I like Reinhart a ton, he seems like he always knows where to go, not the best finisher but he creates offensive chances by the boat load; I like Ekblad's maturity but drafting d-men early still makes me nervous, I don't like him as much as I did Hedman going to the draft, but he seems as good as any of the defenseman drafted early in any of the drafts since then.

Old
01-23-2014, 02:50 AM
Lewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
From what I've seen I don't think McDavid will be Crosby good, I'm damn near positive Monahan won't be Toews good, and Ekblad I would bet against him being Weber good, but I guess we will see; also even if you are the worst team it would still take pretty decent luck to get 1st overall in back to back years.

Is Bennet's team playing anytime in the near future on Sportsnet, I still haven't had a chance to see him play. Right now I like Reinhart a ton, he seems like he always knows where to go, not the best finisher but he creates offensive chances by the boat load; I like Ekblad's maturity but drafting d-men early still makes me nervous, I don't like him as much as I did Hedman going to the draft, but he seems as good as any of the defenseman drafted early in any of the drafts since then.
Look at McDavids' junior stats then go look at Crosbys'. Its pretty clear Connor is not Sidney. Sidney Didn't get an underage year either.

Old
01-23-2014, 03:43 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

No one is Crosby. I don't think anyone ever said McDavid is in the same league as Crosby did they? I've heard "best prospect since Crosby"... but comparing him to Crosby is too much expectation to live up to for any player... even one looking as good as McDavid.

Old
01-23-2014, 05:43 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
No one is Crosby. I don't think anyone ever said McDavid is in the same league as Crosby did they? I've heard "best prospect since Crosby"... but comparing him to Crosby is too much expectation to live up to for any player... even one looking as good as McDavid.
Sportsnet did.

Old
01-23-2014, 06:20 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Sportsnet did.
It's Sportsnet. 'Nuff said.

Old
01-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post

That's it exactly though it's a lottery. Flames could be better than the Oil, almost in a playoff spot even and still win the lottery. Just because the odds are in your favor by finishing last doesnt mean another team cant beat the odds.

Old
01-23-2014, 10:15 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
That's it exactly though it's a lottery. Flames could be better than the Oil, almost in a playoff spot even and still win the lottery. Just because the odds are in your favor by finishing last doesnt mean another team cant beat the odds.
On a side note not to derail the thread. I love the new lottery system. Imagine next year if we ended up 1-2 points out of the playoffs and won the lottery and got Mcdavid. I could see the main boards imploding, it'd be hilarious.

Old
01-23-2014, 10:24 AM
phaedrusDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
""He's someone you have to have good timing on or you’re going to get blown around wide," says Ottawa 67's defenceman Jacob Middleton, whose team is in the same division as the Fronts. "The core strength he has must be something else too because he can out-battle guys.""
I've been talking about this for a while and it is a big reason I'm not too concerned about Bennett's lower weight. He has tremendous lower body strength/balance and can protect the puck very well in the corners and going around guys. Makes for a lethal combination of abilities to cycle and drive to the net. Add his hard quick-release shot and it's no wonder he's on a 23 (or 24?) game point streak. The Fronts need him back BAD.

Anyway, it's nice to hear the same assessment about his battle strength from his peers.

Old
01-23-2014, 10:28 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Gonna get flamed for this but I'd take Bennett at #1 over Ekblad.

When is the last draft that the top D taken was better than the top forward? And don't give me Murray over Yakupov...

Nurse and Klefbom are coming....Marincin, Gernat, Musil all have pro upside. C is still the weakest overall positional group for this org.

Old
01-23-2014, 10:35 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
I've been talking about this for a while and it is a big reason I'm not too concerned about Bennett's lower weight. He has tremendous lower body strength/balance and can protect the puck very well in the corners and going around guys. Makes for a lethal combination of abilities to cycle and drive to the net. Add his hard quick-release shot and it's no wonder he's on a 23 (or 24?) game point streak. The Fronts need him back BAD.

Anyway, it's nice to hear the same assessment about his battle strength from his peers.
To me Bennett reminds me of a smaller Taylor Hall with a way better wrist shot. Like seriously the best release I've seen in the last few years.

Old
01-23-2014, 10:36 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

When is the last draft that the top D taken was better than the top forward? And don't give me Murray over Yakupov...

Nurse and Klefbom are coming....Marincin, Gernat, Musil all have pro upside. C is still the weakest overall positional group for this org.
I'd take him if you have a deal lined up for RNH that brings in a dman. If not then we need Ekblad, he'll take awhile but he's pretty much guaranteed to be a top pairing shut down guy.

Old
01-23-2014, 10:49 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I'd take him if you have a deal lined up for RNH that brings in a dman. If not then we need Ekblad, he'll take awhile but he's pretty much guaranteed to be a top pairing shut down guy.
No guarantees in hockey dude. Especially not with d-men.

Your hate for the Nuge is mind boggling. RNH will be an elite C for years to come. Why do you dislike him so much??

Old
01-23-2014, 10:53 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

I agree our center depth is shallow, but I'd say the same thing about our top pairing defenseman depth. Nurse is a maybe, everyone else you listed is suspect at rounding into a Top-4 defenseman.

Use the high calibre bullet on the defenseman if we have the choice. It is our best chance at bringing a top pairing defenseman into the organization, if Ekblad can grow into the role.

Old
01-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
A LOT of people were going to jump off a bridge if Calgary finished ahead of us this year.

Old
01-23-2014, 10:56 AM
DousedInOil

I'm still salivating over the thought of having a Nurse-Ekblad pairing for the next 15 years.

They might take a while to get use to the NHL game but it would be a calming presence for 25+ minutes a night.

Old
01-23-2014, 10:57 AM
Beerfish

People say they don't want to draft a Dman high because they are so iffy to turn out.

Same people say all is well because we have 3 or 4 dmen in the minors or junior who they have assumed are going to be great.

Closed Thread