HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Dabomb

vCash: 500
Who is everyone thinking Buffalo would pick if they ended up with the first overall pick?

Old
01-23-2014, 02:39 PM
rockinghockey

I was talking a look at our dmen prospects and all of them are left shooting dmen. We need a right shooting dmen and Ekblad is that man. We have enough fwds with skills on this team we need legit top end dmen prospects and that is what Ekblad is.

I know a lot of people are high on Bennett but we don't need another fwd prospect. We either need a 2C with size or a right shot dmen that is projected to be a top pairing dman. That is what Ekblad is. In 3 yrs we can have:
Klefbom; Ekblad
Nurse; Petry
Maricin; Schultz
Klefbom is getting better and better every game and will be a very good dman to pair with Ekblad to break him in. Klefbom will be in the NHL next year and that will give him 2 full years in the NHL. If Ekblad is good enough to play next year then I think he will be playing with Ference. Nurse needs another year to pack some size on.

Old
01-23-2014, 02:41 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
I honestly think Ekblad comes 'kinda' NHL ready next season. The kind of player that wouldn't die in the NHL or look completely lost, but would probably benefit from seasoning in the AHL and another stint in junior, like most defensemen.

I don't think he's a long way off though. He thinks the game well and is as physically ready as anyone coming out of junior. Really hope we get him. With him, Nurse and Schultz, our defense would be set... it'd just become a matter of getting them the veteran support so they could all transition to their roles.
What about a future of:
Nurse; Ekblad
Klefbom; Schultz
Marincin; ???

That is more like 4-5 yrs though

Old
01-23-2014, 02:49 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Who is everyone thinking Buffalo would pick if they ended up with the first overall pick?
I am thinking fwd as they are actually pretty deep with dmen prospects. They need top line fwds as they don't have any at all. Reinhart would give them that legit 1C with skill.

Old
01-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Yak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
What about a future of:
Nurse; Ekblad
Klefbom; Schultz
Marincin; ???

That is more like 4-5 yrs though
In 5 years...

Nurse (24) - Ekblad (23): two potential #1's, both big, smart, and capable in all situations
Klefbom (25) - Schultz (28): our premier shutdown prospect paired with a potentially elite OFD who's already clearly productive in the NHL
Marincin (27) - Gernat (26): the Slovakian towers, both offensively skilled, Marincin has already shown NHL-level defensive ability

If every one of these guys (by some miracle...) hits their potential upside, we could go from having one of the worst defensive cores in the NHL to one of the best! All of them would be young enough to remain a core for around 5-7 years (barring contracts and age-related collapses) as well.

I may have screwed up a couple of the birthdays

Old
01-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
For some strange reason, Ekblad is reminding me a bit of Griffin Reinhart. Big body, doesn't always play as aggressively as scouts would like, big shot, pretty sound, mature game at both ends, could use work on foot speed/skating...

Is it far off to draw such a comparison?
Ekblad has vastly superior hockey IQ and offensive abilities, and his skating is excellent for a guy his size.

Old
01-23-2014, 02:59 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak City View Post
In 5 years...

Nurse (24) - Ekblad (23): two potential #1's, both big, smart, and capable in all situations
Klefbom (25) - Schultz (28): our premier shutdown prospect paired with a potentially elite OFD who's already clearly productive in the NHL
Marincin (27) - Gernat (26): the Slovakian towers, both offensively skilled, Marincin has already shown NHL-level defensive ability

If every one of these guys (by some miracle...) hits their potential upside, we could go from having one of the worst defensive cores in the NHL to one of the best! All of them would be young enough to remain a core for around 5-7 years (barring contracts and age-related collapses) as well.

I may have screwed up a couple of the birthdays
Yes, that is a lot of size and skill. If only they could hit their projections.

Old
01-23-2014, 03:02 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Ekblad has vastly superior hockey IQ and offensive abilities, and his skating is excellent for a guy his size.
What I saw from Ekblad at Juniors as a 17 yr old dman I was very impressed. He has a very nice shot also. I don't care if we have to lose every game from here on in. We are not making the playoffs by a long shot so I just want to get this kid. I am tired of having no top end dmen. With Ekblad, Nurse, Klefbom and Schultz I will love our top 4 dmen in 4 yrs.

Old
01-23-2014, 03:06 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Quote:
What I saw from Ekblad at Juniors as a 17 yr old dman I was very impressed. He has a very nice shot also. I don't care if we have to lose every game from here on in. We are not making the playoffs by a long shot so I just want to get this kid. I am tired of having no top end dmen. With Ekblad, Nurse, Klefbom and Schultz I will love our top 4 dmen in 4 yrs.
Marincin > Schultz as of this season.

Not a bad thing though.

Old
01-23-2014, 03:27 PM
sVpph
Tron Funkin Blow

vCash: 665
xI H A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I think his skating is pretty ugly tbh. It's fine when he doesn't have the puck, he's pretty good positionally so it probably won't hinder him in that regard.

Old
01-23-2014, 03:34 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by sVpph View Post
I think his skating is pretty ugly tbh. It's fine when he doesn't have the puck, he's pretty good positionally so it probably won't hinder him in that regard.
yeah, he still looks a little awkward. He needs some time to get used to his frame.

Old
01-23-2014, 04:46 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
I am thinking fwd as they are actually pretty deep with dmen prospects. They need top line fwds as they don't have any at all. Reinhart would give them that legit 1C with skill.
Ya I can't see them taking Ekblad. My only concern is if Calgary is picking before us

01-23-2014, 04:48 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
i heard a buffalo beat reporter on Sirius monday morning and he was saying that the word is they arent going to take EKblad, if they feel he is the #1 player on the board they will look to trade the pick. presumably down 2-3 spots to whoever wants to make sure they get Ekblad, that has Brian Burke all over it imo.

Old
01-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
I honestly think Ekblad comes 'kinda' NHL ready next season. The kind of player that wouldn't die in the NHL or look completely lost, but would probably benefit from seasoning in the AHL and another stint in junior, like most defensemen.

I don't think he's a long way off though. He thinks the game well and is as physically ready as anyone coming out of junior. Really hope we get him. With him, Nurse and Schultz, our defense would be set... it'd just become a matter of getting them the veteran support so they could all transition to their roles.
Veteran support is the rub there. The only reason Jones is doing well in Nashville is because of the time he gets to play next to Weber.

We don't have that luxury. Ekblad would be in junior for at least a year.

But who knows? I think we could land Girardi. He's young enough to appreciate wanting to be part of a rebuild that is in a later phase. He could be our Hossa signing.

If we somehow pulled that one off, I would be comfortable with keeping Ekblad in the NHL day one, and even Nurse.

Last edited by Mr Positive: 01-23-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old
01-23-2014, 04:57 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Veteran support is the rub there. The only reason Jones is doing well in Nashville is because of the time he gets to play next to Weber.

We don't have that luxury. Ekblad would be in junior for at least a year.

But who knows? I think we could land Galiardi. He's young enough to appreciate wanting to be part of a rebuild that is in a later phase. He could be our Hossa signing.

If we somehow pulled that one off, I would be comfortable with keeping Ekblad in the NHL day one, and even Nurse.
Huh? I don't think you realize how good Hossa is. He's a star, 2 way winger. Galiardi is hardly a 3rd liner. He's on pace for 20 points. And how does he have any impact on our young dmen?

Old
01-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Mr Positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Huh? I don't think you realize how good Hossa is. He's a star, 2 way winger. Galiardi is hardly a 3rd liner. He's on pace for 20 points. And how does he have any impact on our young dmen?
sorry, I did edit it there. I meant Girardi sorry lol

Old
01-23-2014, 05:02 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
sorry, I did edit it there. I meant Girardi sorry lol
Oh.. haha. That makes a lot more sense. Then yes, I agree lol. I've been wanting him all year. I'm just not sure we can land him though

Old
01-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Mr Positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Oh.. haha. That makes a lot more sense. Then yes, I agree lol. I've been wanting him all year. I'm just not sure we can land him though
It's hard to tell what is motivating him. Based on the Klein trade and the lack of a contract, I think Girardi has told the Rangers that he's leaving.

Maybe they just don't have the money for him after the Lundqvist contract.

If it's not about the money though, then maybe he's looking to join a young up and coming squad, rather than the stagnant Rangers. How many teams really fit that bill?

Old
01-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Dabomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i heard a buffalo beat reporter on Sirius monday morning and he was saying that the word is they arent going to take EKblad, if they feel he is the #1 player on the board they will look to trade the pick. presumably down 2-3 spots to whoever wants to make sure they get Ekblad, that has Brian Burke all over it imo.
If the Flames want to move up even 2 spots to grab Ekblad, it would cost them a pretty penny - I'm guessing their first plus Baertschi or something. (maybe i'm off but it won't be cheap). Its not easy to trade for that #1 pick.

Old
01-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Fourier

Quote:
I was talking a look at our dmen prospects and all of them are left shooting dmen. We need a right shooting dmen and Ekblad is that man. We have enough fwds with skills on this team we need legit top end dmen prospects and that is what Ekblad is.

I know a lot of people are high on Bennett but we don't need another fwd prospect. We either need a 2C with size or a right shot dmen that is projected to be a top pairing dman. That is what Ekblad is. In 3 yrs we can have:
Klefbom; Ekblad
Nurse; Petry
Maricin; Schultz
Klefbom is getting better and better every game and will be a very good dman to pair with Ekblad to break him in. Klefbom will be in the NHL next year and that will give him 2 full years in the NHL. If Ekblad is good enough to play next year then I think he will be playing with Ference. Nurse needs another year to pack some size on.
Ekblad is definitely my first choice but why would Bennett not fit the role as the #2C. He will be as big as a guy like O'Rielly or Richards and is exceelent defensively, while playing with some grit. Not as good as if he was 6'3" 220lbs but he is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Old
01-23-2014, 06:06 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
It's hard to tell what is motivating him. Based on the Klein trade and the lack of a contract, I think Girardi has told the Rangers that he's leaving.

Maybe they just don't have the money for him after the Lundqvist contract.

If it's not about the money though, then maybe he's looking to join a young up and coming squad, rather than the stagnant Rangers. How many teams really fit that bill?
Well we only fit the young part, not the up and coming part . I think he'll most likely be wanting to go to a contender. If it is about the money, we definitely have a shot though

Old
01-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Party Kane

You guys should definitely take Ekblad if available

Old
01-23-2014, 06:37 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Kane View Post
You guys should definitely take Ekblad if available