HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

OT ESPN Q2 Viewership Drops Sharply

Old
07-10-2013, 10:16 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

vCash: 500
I have CBSSN as part of my cable package, I don't find it to bad. Lot of college sports programming. As to the NHL network having low ratings, hopefully this is a wakeup call to them and they can get better programming on the station.

07-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
ESPN has gone the way of MTV. Can't even watch it anymore. Outside of live broadcasts, it's utter junk. Even Sports Center is horrid. The days of Dan Patrick, Craig Kilborne, Keith Olberman, Stuart Scott, and even Linda Cohn...and the catch phrases and otherwise irreverent nature of the show are gone. There's no humor, nothing. It's like watching the local sports news but with a national flavor. The NHL 2Night programming on the Deuce was awesome too. I enjoyed it more than what's on the NHL Network at present. John Buccigross, Chicken Parm, Bill Pidto (to a lesser extent)....

Outside of the odd NFL broadcast...there absolutely nothing on ESPN worth tuning in to for me.

I will say...the NHL Network's programming (including its commercials, which are an utter joke), isn't much better outside of their highlight shows and the games themselves. And they rebroadcast the same **** over and OVER again. There's a serious lack of original programming there too.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:54 AM
PJGooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
ESPN has gone the way of MTV. Can't even watch it anymore. Outside of live broadcasts, it's utter junk. Even Sports Center is horrid. The days of Dan Patrick, Craig Kilborne, Keith Olberman, Stuart Scott, and even Linda Cohn...and the catch phrases and otherwise irreverent nature of the show are gone. There's no humor, nothing. It's like watching the local sports news but with a national flavor. The NHL 2Night programming on the Deuce was awesome too. I enjoyed it more than what's on the NHL Network at present. John Buccigross, Chicken Parm, Bill Pidto (to a lesser extent)....
I was in Disney World last week and while shopping in one of their sports-themed stores, I came across a section with a bunch of ESPN items. One was a Sportscenter t-shirt with a bunch of its famous catchphrases. All of them were from the '90s. I thought this was funny and, at the same time, pretty sad. Sportscenter was once a must-watch for an informative and entertaining look at sports, and now it's just a pathetic vehicle for promoting nonsense.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
I was in Disney World last week and while shopping in one of their sports-themed stores, I came across a section with a bunch of ESPN items. One was a Sportscenter t-shirt with a bunch of its famous catchphrases. All of them were from the '90s. I thought this was funny and, at the same time, pretty sad. Sportscenter was once a must-watch for an informative and entertaining look at sports, and now it's just a pathetic vehicle for promoting nonsense.
It really was an entertaining show. I mean...even the highlights from sports I care nothing about were great because there was so much humor and enthusiasm injected into it. The catch phrases were awesome. The way they parlayed the personalities into the SportsCenter commercials was even better. You can tell how downhill things have gone just by the number of personalities that left the program to go elsewhere. Someone up top at ESPN has no ****ing sense of humor whatsoever. And what you said is even more prevalent. The blatant preference they give to broadcasting highlights of the sports they actually showcase on the network, while barely even making mention of the sports they do not broadcast...is galling at best. Since I'm a big time hockey enthusiast...I, in particular...have all but abandoned the ESPN networks.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Leo W
Stanley Cup Champs

If NBCSports can get some decent shows outside of their sports it will definitely take over my go to sports channel in the morning to watch highlights.. NHL and BPL? Yes please!

Leo W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:25 PM
cutchemist42

On a sidenote, is Canada getting FS1 or will Bell/Rogers fight it off and make me miss some good programming?

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:37 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Turns out not everybody wants to watch the Lebron James Sports Network.

Their ability to completely over-cover anything not directly related to sports (ala Brett Favre or the Hernandez calamity) is also hilariously annoying.

All of their new shows are really annoying. I don't give a damn what people on twitter say/vote, and I don't like the new "lets have a studio audience just constantly yell things in the background" style they've got going on.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Brodie
see you space cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Going to be really interesting when both the ESPN and NBC deals expire together after next season. I think ESPN would be completely fine with it not returning, would be nice to see NBC buy both packages.
Not to get too OT, but rumor is NBCSN is disappointed in the ratings, angry that having MLS didn't translate into the World Cup rights and isn't interested in renewing at all right now. Consider their EPL acquisition their NBA to ESPN moment. MLS is more likely to stay on ESPN, I'd think

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:16 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
The question is what's going to get better ratings, MLS or whatever they would replace it with? MLS may get disappointing ratings for them, but it's likely to be far better than what it's replaced with.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:

Outside of the odd NFL broadcast...there absolutely nothing on ESPN worth tuning in to for me.

I will say...the NHL Network's programming (including its commercials, which are an utter joke), isn't much better outside of their highlight shows and the games themselves. And they rebroadcast the same **** over and OVER again. There's a serious lack of original programming there too.
spot on

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

NBC Sports is closer to ESPN than I would have expected (still not close, though). I am also surprised that they are ahead of ESPN2. Seems like that should shut down a lot of the arguments that the NHL would be better off at ESPN (where it would have been relegated to ESPN2).

07-10-2013, 01:25 PM
joelef

And with some actual competition now people dont and are not putting up with ESPN garbage anymore.

joelef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Brodie
see you space cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
The question is what's going to get better ratings, MLS or whatever they would replace it with? MLS may get disappointing ratings for them, but it's likely to be far better than what it's replaced with.
MLS is looking for a big boost in TV right revenue in spite of ratings getting worse. Rumors in the soccer media have suggested NBCSN wants exclusivity ala their NHL and EPL deals in order to reup, but MLS is hot for as many partners as possible ala the NFL. I would not be at all surprised if the next MLS deal was with ESPN and beIN Sports.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:28 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
I have that shirt... I bought it when I was in middle school. In the 90's.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:38 PM
tucker3434

I just don't watch ESPN much anymore outside of college football season. During CFB season, I have no choice. There are no other options, and as an AU fan, I don't mind that they pretty much become SEC Network in the fall.

During the off season I watch more of the networks (MLB, NFL, and NHL) and NBCSN.

I honestly had no idea that CBS Sports Net existed. I had to check to see that I got it. I've probably watched a CFB game on there before the switch, but I definitely haven't looked at it since.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:43 PM
DarthMonty
Beaverhood

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
this pleases me
outside of live games, ESPN absolutely sucks, have u guys tried watching sportscenter at all lately? even 3 weeks after the NBA finals they STILL keep trying to talk about lebron, like seriously, enough already
It's not much different on TSN (ESPN Canada) - the Leafs lead off the Sportscentre broadcast during hockey season, and the Blue Jays lead off during baseball season (or as we like to call it in Canada: "when hockey's not on" season)

It's the T(oronto) Sports Network. I shudder to think what would happen if the Leafs won the cup.

DarthMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:50 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMonty View Post
It's not much different on TSN (ESPN Canada) - the Leafs lead off the Sportscentre broadcast during hockey season, and the Blue Jays lead off during baseball season (or as we like to call it in Canada: "when hockey's not on" season)

It's the T(oronto) Sports Network. I shudder to think what would happen if the Leafs won the cup.
if not the leafs and hockey, what should they lead off with?

easy to criticize, harder to make a legit case for something else.

I always find the toronto sports network moniker to be retarded. no other cities have top tier pro teams outside hockey. and the leafs draw bigger numbers than every other canadian hockey team. so yes, they get top billing.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:58 PM
joelef

when they went on about the fake "kobe and lebron beef" and Linsanity crap they lost me. There tryinng way to hard to be hip and cool.

joelef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Retail1LO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
if not the leafs and hockey, what should they lead off with?

easy to criticize, harder to make a legit case for something else.

I always find the toronto sports network moniker to be retarded. no other cities have top tier pro teams outside hockey. and the leafs draw bigger numbers than every other canadian hockey team. so yes, they get top billing.
Across all of Canada...

MLB teams: 1
NFL teams: 0
NBA teams: 1
MLS teams: 2
NHL teams: 7

So...there are nearly twice as many NHL teams, as the four other major sports leagues COMBINED. It's amazing there are sports networks in Canada...and not just hockey networks. I can see where Toronto would be the center of the universe seeing as how three of the four major sports teams outside the NHL, are all in Toronto.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:28 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

You guys with TSN are just completely spoiled

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:41 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Across all of Canada...

MLB teams: 1
NFL teams: 0
NBA teams: 1
MLS teams: 2
NHL teams: 7

So...there are nearly twice as many NHL teams, as the four other major sports leagues COMBINED. It's amazing there are sports networks in Canada...and not just hockey networks. I can see where Toronto would be the center of the universe seeing as how three of the four major sports teams outside the NHL, are all in Toronto.
MLS has 3 teams in Canada (Vancouver Whitecaps, Toronto FC, Montreal Impact)

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:57 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
this pleases me
outside of live games, ESPN absolutely sucks, have u guys tried watching sportscenter at all lately? even 3 weeks after the NBA finals they STILL keep trying to talk about lebron, like seriously, enough already
Couldn't agree more. They really shove the NBA down the viewers throats.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:58 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMonty View Post

They do a better job moving on though. Sure that is the lead and that is the big ticket item that satisfies the biggest audience. But they show the other highlights.

ESPN basically has put Sportcenter into a 30 minute talk show with two or three highlights then they haphazardly work their way through highlights even cutting off entire games or just flashing scores which I can see on the bottom line anyway and have for the last 30 minutes of LeBron talk, or what so and so said on twitter in the NFL today.

You used to tune in for the catch phrases and to see all the highlights. I don't tune in to watch Jalen Rose pontificate about Lebron or scream back and forth with Screaming A Smith. Watch guys debate the NFL in the middle of June when nothing is transpiring.

As others have said they went the way of MTV. They mistaked us maybe liking a segment and blew it up in an uncontrollable way. As a viewer I like the Cold Hard fact at the 45 minute mark, after the highlights were over by in large, that is what I tuned into see in the first place, but they expanded that idea because it worked popularly after the highlights. Now they have slipped the debates in all over, they have smashed the flow of the show.

I also think there has been a remarkable drop in quality when they went to the live format where they do each show the same for hours at a time. The lets produce the big one once at night had a structure and a real attention to detail. Now they try to drop segments from before into a live show, it just doesn't work. It might have been replayed over and over, but it was a far superior product/execution which made that better than what they are doing now in my opinion.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 07-10-2013 at 06:03 PM.
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:36 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Yeah, it was starting to go downhill before they went to the kinda CNNesque always live format, but it really slid at that point. And now ESPNEWS is just an overflow for when SC isn't on the main or 2, so they killed that channel's quality as well.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Results reflect quality. ESPN as a sports broadcaster absolutely blows.

They've been swimming in a monopoly for so long they forgot how to make their television anything more than mediocre, and it's gonna come back to bite them in the ass sooner rather than later.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote