HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT ESPN Q2 Viewership Drops Sharply

Old
07-10-2013, 07:26 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Across all of Canada...

MLB teams: 1
NFL teams: 0
NBA teams: 1
MLS teams: 2
NHL teams: 7

So...there are nearly twice as many NHL teams, as the four other major sports leagues COMBINED. It's amazing there are sports networks in Canada...and not just hockey networks. I can see where Toronto would be the center of the universe seeing as how three of the four major sports teams outside the NHL, are all in Toronto.
Right, and people outside Toronto have a tough time accepting that this is the centre of the sports universe in Canada. Its just small man complex.

but even during hockey season, its only logical to lead with the Leafs, we have the largest fan base and draw the most viewers. Again, people outside the GTA have a tough time grasping simple concepts.

The good thing about the sports networks in Canada is that they dont need a Canadian team to do a good job covering the sport. We get great coverage of the NFL, MLB, and the NBA. So I dont get why people would complain about TSN or Sportsnet.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMonty View Post
It's not much different on TSN (ESPN Canada) - the Leafs lead off the Sportscentre broadcast during hockey season, and the Blue Jays lead off during baseball season (or as we like to call it in Canada: "when hockey's not on" season)

It's the T(oronto) Sports Network. I shudder to think what would happen if the Leafs won the cup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
if not the leafs and hockey, what should they lead off with?

easy to criticize, harder to make a legit case for something else.

I always find the toronto sports network moniker to be ********. no other cities have top tier pro teams outside hockey. and the leafs draw bigger numbers than every other canadian hockey team. so yes, they get top billing.

Toronto is an actual sports city that has a life outside of sports. Canada sucks for sports, but that is for another day. Canada only does will at stuff no one cares about, like hockey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Across all of Canada...

MLB teams: 1
NFL teams: 0
NBA teams: 1
MLS teams: 2
NHL teams: 7

So...there are nearly twice as many NHL teams, as the four other major sports leagues COMBINED. It's amazing there are sports networks in Canada...and not just hockey networks. I can see where Toronto would be the center of the universe seeing as how three of the four major sports teams outside the NHL, are all in Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Couldn't agree more. They really shove the NBA down the viewers throats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
They do a better job moving on though. Sure that is the lead and that is the big ticket item that satisfies the biggest audience. But they show the other highlights.

ESPN basically has put Sportcenter into a 30 minute talk show with two or three highlights then they haphazardly work their way through highlights even cutting off entire games or just flashing scores which I can see on the bottom line anyway and have for the last 30 minutes of LeBron talk, or what so and so said on twitter in the NFL today.

You used to tune in for the catch phrases and to see all the highlights. I don't tune in to watch Jalen Rose pontificate about Lebron or scream back and forth with Screaming A Smith. Watch guys debate the NFL in the middle of June when nothing is transpiring.

As others have said they went the way of MTV. They mistaked us maybe liking a segment and blew it up in an uncontrollable way. As a viewer I like the Cold Hard fact at the 45 minute mark, after the highlights were over by in large, that is what I tuned into see in the first place, but they expanded that idea because it worked popularly after the highlights. Now they have slipped the debates in all over, they have smashed the flow of the show.

I also think there has been a remarkable drop in quality when they went to the live format where they do each show the same for hours at a time. The lets produce the big one once at night had a structure and a real attention to detail. Now they try to drop segments from before into a live show, it just doesn't work. It might have been replayed over and over, but it was a far superior product/execution which made that better than what they are doing now in my opinion.
So if you guys don't watch ESPN, why do you care about this? If hockey players wern't sticks in the mud(as a collective) then ESPN would cover this too. And why does these complaints always happen about the NBA but never the NFL? or MLB? I would if some people are NFL fans because everyone else is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
Right, and people outside Toronto have a tough time accepting that this is the centre of the sports universe in Canada. Its just small man complex.

but even during hockey season, its only logical to lead with the Leafs, we have the largest fan base and draw the most viewers. Again, people outside the GTA have a tough time grasping simple concepts.

The good thing about the sports networks in Canada is that they dont need a Canadian team to do a good job covering the sport. We get great coverage of the NFL, MLB, and the NBA. So I dont get why people would complain about TSN or Sportsnet.
Because Canada is lame when it comes to sports. We like second tier stuff, like curling.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:43 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
So if you guys don't watch ESPN, why do you care about this? If hockey players wern't sticks in the mud(as a collective) then ESPN would cover this too. And why does these complaints always happen about the NBA but never the NFL? or MLB? I would if some people are NFL fans because everyone else is...
Pretty sure I had criticism for their year round coverage of the NFL in all of my posts. However, I doubt that reflects their sharp decline in a huge way, just bothers me, but I conceded that I must be in the minority that don't want to hear about what some NFL star said on twitter or what Tebow had for breakfast in the middle of May & June, displacing the leads on Playoff hockey or MLB games.

But the biggest reason you would pick on the NBA in this thread is these numbers correlate pretty closely to when the NBA is supposed to be a bell-cow for the network. When they are pumping the NBA at it's absolute max volume and there is a noticeable decline in interest.

So you can say I don't care and I am going out of my way to put it down, because of my overall disinterest in the league, but there is a reason. Targeting that sport would seem to be appropriately placed given the data and timing. The reason I no longer watch highlights this time of year is because those are the only thing they are really offering anymore. That fits in with the critiques on sportscenter, ESPN isn't alone anymore, they might be on the mountaintop looking down, but they need to do a better job, this article shows tangible evidence of that.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Pretty sure I had criticism for their year round coverage of the NFL in all of my posts. However, I doubt that reflects their sharp decline in a huge way, just bothers me, but I conceded that I must be in the minority that don't want to hear about what some NFL star said on twitter or what Tebow had for breakfast in the middle of May & June, displacing the leads on Playoff hockey or MLB games.

But the biggest reason you would pick on the NBA in this thread is these numbers correlate pretty closely to when the NBA is supposed to be a bell-cow for the network. When they are pumping the NBA at it's absolute max volume and there is a noticeable decline in interest.

So you can say I don't care and I am going out of my way to put it down, because of my overall disinterest in the league, but there is a reason. Targeting that sport would seem to be appropriately placed given the data and timing. The reason I no longer watch highlights this time of year is because those are the only thing they are really offering anymore. That fits in with the critiques on sportscenter, ESPN isn't alone anymore, they might be on the mountaintop looking down, but they need to do a better job, this article shows tangible evidence of that.
I should not have quoted you, my apologies, that was a general criticism.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

ESPN has 18 hours of NFL 3 hours of LeBron and 3 of people screaming at each other about the NFL or LeBron

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
ESPN has 18 hours of NFL 3 hours of LeBron and 3 of people screaming at each other about the NFL or LeBron
See zetteberg this is what I am talking about...

Old
07-10-2013, 08:50 PM
gernb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
ESPN is under the impression that the NBA is a lot more popular than it actually is.

gernb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maupin Fan View Post
Perhaps if they hadn't turned into TMZSPN this wouldn't be happening.

Most of their non-game telecast programming is an absolute joke.
With more and more sports channels popping up and the internet, what do you expect ESPN to do?

It's like *****ing about MTV not playing music videos anymore. Despite the fact that music videos are obsolete.

More importantly, markets and superstars matter more than ever in sports. I'd expect NBCSN to have higher numbers than last year due to the markets in the last few rounds and having the majority of the games.

TNT, not ESPN, has the majority of the NBA playoffs and ESPN was stuck with a pair of small markets in San Antonio and Memphis. Which ended in a sweep, no less.

Personally, I'm more interested in seeing what FoxSports1 will do. They won't topple ESPN but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they surpassed NBCSN. Outside the NHL, that network still has NOTHING.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Brodie
I'm a jackhammer

I'm with RC on this... as I always point out when the MTV comparisons come out, there are cable networks that show nothing but music videos and nobody watches. NBCSN puts on their own highlight show to answer the criticisms of SportsCenter leveled in this thread and nobody watches.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:10 PM
DyerMaker66

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
With more and more sports channels popping up and the internet, what do you expect ESPN to do?

It's like *****ing about MTV not playing music videos anymore. Despite the fact that music videos are obsolete.

More importantly, markets and superstars matter more than ever in sports. I'd expect NBCSN to have higher numbers than last year due to the markets in the last few rounds and having the majority of the games.

TNT, not ESPN, has the majority of the NBA playoffs and ESPN was stuck with a pair of small markets in San Antonio and Memphis. Which ended in a sweep, no less.

Personally, I'm more interested in seeing what FoxSports1 will do. They won't topple ESPN but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they surpassed NBCSN. Outside the NHL, that network still has NOTHING.
Music videos would be watched if they were played. Don't blame MTV's terrible programming decisions on the public.

What are the most watched videos on Youtube? The top 6 are music videos; as are 29 of the top 30. Don't just repeat what MTV execs tell you.

DyerMaker66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Brodie
I'm a jackhammer

music videos are played... why isn't Fuse beating MTV in the ratings?

Old
07-10-2013, 10:13 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I'm with RC on this... as I always point out when the MTV comparisons come out, there are cable networks that show nothing but music videos and nobody watches. NBCSN puts on their own highlight show to answer the criticisms of SportsCenter leveled in this thread and nobody watches.
That show was on in a terrible time slot. Might have done better if they aired it at night.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:20 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
It would help if I could get that channel...

Because they aren't going for the same demographic. Music Television is not a music station.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:22 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
It was just explained, because music videos are better watched online anyway.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Brodie
I'm a jackhammer

I agree that NBCSN's highlight show had timeslot issues, but it was hyped to death during the Olympics and still flopped incredibly hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
It was just explained, because music videos are better watched online anyway.
so MTV made the right decision? Yep.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:09 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Personally I watch more Fuse than MTV. But I'm not a 12-to-16-year-old so I doubt they care.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:19 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:

so MTV made the right decision? Yep.
I don't think you'd find many people who would argue against that.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:24 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

For me, the only reason I ever tune in to ESPN is college football.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:27 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
The point is that we're not watching ESPN. To each, their own, but my reason is because they won't stop with the NBA/LeBron discussion.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:58 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

ESPN Response: http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2013/07/...rom-letterman/

Summary:
'We aired way less NBA games and didn't have the big markets in many of those games'.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Guy

If ESPN isn't showing a live sporting event, I'm not watching. Maybe if enough other people stop watching they'll be forced to reevaluate whether or not people want to watch morons argue with each other or watch NFL coverage in June with 50 different analysts/commentators when nothing is happening.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:39 AM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
If ESPN isn't showing a live sporting event, I'm not watching. Maybe if enough other people stop watching they'll be forced to reevaluate whether or not people want to watch morons argue with each other or watch NFL coverage in June with 50 different analysts/commentators when nothing is happening.
I'm the same way... if there isn't a game I care about on, ESPN is useless and makes me rather watch Auction Hunters, Rehab Addict, Vanilla Ice Project, or something with more substance.

Seriously, I'd rather watch Vanilla Ice demo a crapper and rebuild it with jewel-encrusted bling than watch the adulation of the personality cults they offer.

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:17 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Isn't watching people argue the only thing Americans turn on the TV for? I mean you watch people fight on reality shows, watch people argue on the news and you watch people argue on sports stations.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:49 AM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Isn't watching people argue the only thing Americans turn on the TV for? I mean you watch people fight on reality shows, watch people argue on the news and you watch people argue on sports stations.
And we pay for it via subscriptions... most of us just don't want to pay to be abused!!

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
The point is that we're not watching ESPN. To each, their own, but my reason is because they won't stop with the NBA/LeBron discussion.
So then why do you care about their ratings. And what bugs you about the NBA so much that doesn't about the NFL, which runs at the same time and has the same social problems.