HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs have spoken with Morrow

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Gary320

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
I think we need more size and experience in our top 6 than bottom 6.

Jagr would finally give Plekanec a good winger that he has chemistry with.
I'd rather we find Plekanec a good winger who he can be with for 2-3 years. Instead of a one year player.

Plekanec and Bourque weren't that bad. They just need another winger not named Gionta and they are solid.

I would kinda agree that top 6 needs more size than bottom 6. But give me the option, I'd take Morrow. Get rid of Moen while we are at it, to balance things out a bit.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Kafka

I wasn't surprised to hear that Morrow wanted to join the Habs yesterday. After all, his wife, Ms Carbonneau, is from here.

Morrow would be a great addition to our roster, althought only if he agrees to take a major cut in ice-time and salary, acting mostly as a 3rd-4th line winger with some PP minutes. We need that mix of size and talent on the wing (I wanted Clarkson for that reason, but only at 4M$/year). If Morrow agrees for a 2 years contract at a cap hit around 2-2,5M$, it would be a nice addition. Over that, I say no.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
I wasn't surprised to hear that Morrow wanted to join the Habs yesterday. After all, his wife, Ms Carbonneau, is from here.

Morrow would be a great addition to our roster, althought only if he agrees to take a major cut in ice-time and salary, acting mostly as a 3rd-4th line winger with some PP minutes. We need that mix of size and talent on the wing (I wanted Clarkson for that reason, but only at 4M$/year). If Morrow agrees for a 2 years contract at a cap hit around 2-2,5M$, it would be a nice addition. Over that, I say no.
Plus he might go stand in front of the net to create havoc.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
Cleary is so soft he can make Charmin feel rough. PASS

Morrow is a grinder somehow talented but also is his own older self.

I'd still get him for our 2nd / 3rd line, he's an improvement on Gionta IMO, on the 2-way aspect of his game. Well, the Gionta of last year, not the Gionta that scores 30 goals.
Well after reading the comments on the Red Wings page, I guess i don't want Cleary anymore. 450 hate posts can't be ignored, lol.

I like Morrow, but he started to really nosedive in Dallas the last couple of years. He was rejuvenated in Pittsburgh, but everyone looks awesome on that team (besides Fleury, lol).

If they could somehow get him on a 2-year deal in the vicinity of 3.5m per, i'd be down.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
That's why I talked about him getting PP minutes. However, it seems he wasn't used that way last season. Only 4 points on the PP.

Thing is that we need that kind of winger IMO. But only if the price is right. The Leafs probably already regret the offer they made to Clarkson. He shouldn't have got more than 4-4,5 M$, and that's only because he was already making 3-3,5M$ a year.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Well after reading the comments on the Red Wings page, I guess i don't want Cleary anymore. 450 hate posts can't be ignored, lol.

I like Morrow, but he started to really nosedive in Dallas the last couple of years. He was rejuvenated in Pittsburgh, but everyone looks awesome on that team (besides Fleury, lol).

If they could somehow get him on a 2-year deal in the vicinity of 3.5m per, i'd be down.
By giving him 3,5M$ a year, you need to play him like he is one of your top 6 forwards. If that's the case, then we have a pretty bad team. He needs to be used in a less important role, in important situations.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Bloumeister
Weakileaks source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
DOES

NOT

COMPUTE

Old
07-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
By giving him 3,5M$ a year, you need to play him like he is one of your top 6 forwards. If that's the case, then we have a pretty bad team. He needs to be used in a less important role, in important situations.
I understand that logic, but when you have a very young team like we do, a guy like Morrow or Briere can be used effectively in the top 6 when necessary, and who knows, maybe guys like Eller and Galchenyuk spend another year honing their skills on the 3rd line.

You can afford to pay Morrow to be in the top 9 at 3.5 if you have other top 9 guys like Gallagher, Eller, Bourque and Galchenyuk all making less, as well as no player making more than 5.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:00 PM
ValorJames

vCash: 376
I think signing him would be good depth move. We can play him in the top 9 on any line when needed. He plays a game that shines more in the playoffs....and you can never have too many guys like that.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Morrow in, Gionta out...

Galchenyuk Briere Gallagher
Pacioretty Eller Desharnais
Bourque Plekanec Morrow
Moen - Prust - Parros/White

Old
07-10-2013, 02:09 PM
hardcorehabs

I'd take morrow ten times out of ten over gionta

Old
07-10-2013, 02:23 PM
BigDaddyLurch
#NukeDaFoxhole

Gionta's hurt, so he isn't going anywhere right now...let his year run out, then he's gone anyways...

Trade Moen, Desharnais
Trade for Brian Boyle (cap relief for NYR, so it won't be too expensive - prospect, mid pick)
Sign Morrow

Pacioretty - Briere - Bourque
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Morrow - Plekanec - Gionta/LeBlanc
Prust - Boyle - White/Parros

Tinordi - Subban
Markov - Emelin/Gorges
Gorges/Bouillon - Diaz/Pateryn
Drewiske

Price
Budaj

*edit* - and I still want Cody Franson, if we can get him form the Laffs...

Old
07-10-2013, 02:36 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
Gionta's hurt, so he isn't going anywhere right now...let his year run out, then he's gone anyways...

Trade Moen, Desharnais
Trade for Brian Boyle (cap relief for NYR, so it won't be too expensive - prospect, mid pick)
Sign Morrow

Tinordi - Subban
Markov - Emelin/Gorges
Drewiske

Price
Budaj

I would give Moen 1 more year to prove himself but what about DD for Boyle and a 2nd, btw I like this lineup but is Briere able to take that role?

Old
07-10-2013, 02:38 PM
BigDaddyLurch
#NukeDaFoxhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
I would give Moen 1 more year to prove himself but what about DD for Boyle and a 2nd, btw I like this lineup!!!!
Rangers need the cap relief, so no way they take on DD...and Moen is done, it's time to cut bait with him...and Briere would fit as a top 6 centre until Galchenyuk is ready...

Old
07-10-2013, 02:45 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Pacioretty-Briere-Gallagher
Desharnais-Eller-Galchenyuk
Bourque-Plekanec-Morrow
Moen-Prust-Parros/White/Dumont

(Gionta IR)

Old
07-10-2013, 02:47 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
From what Gio said it's a 5 month recovery so it will be tight. He could be ready for opening night or still miss 3-4 weeks. Not enough to base a replacement on.

Emelin allows us to add another player if he is on LITR to begin and that player will only have about 60% of his cap hit if it's around 2 mil I believe.

For example if you sign Fistric 4 mil 2 years to help replace Emelin, he has no cap hit while Emelin is out, then his cap hit only applies for say 50 games once Ememin is back so 50/82 x 2 mil=1.21 mil.
I think you're allowed to excede the cap by the amount of the injured players accumulated salary, it's not that it doesn't count, but the buffer allows you to excede the cap by X amount of dollars. I could be wrong, but I though that was how it worked.

I'm ok with Morrow at a shortened deal, preferably only 1 year, but if a 2nd is thrown in, it's not the end of the world. I'd prefer we pass on him enitrely though and address the defence. It's funny how all these veteran players will consider the habs now that they are only marginally effective, but when they were actually good, they wanted nothing to do with us. I don't think we need anymore forwards, our D needs tweaked.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:52 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
Jagr
older
costs more
only wants to be here for money
czech

morrow
younger
costs less
more heart
more gritt
wants to be here
canadian
Being Canadian is a pro?

Old
07-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Pacioretty-Briere-Gallagher
Desharnais-Eller-Galchenyuk
Bourque-Plekanec-Morrow
Moen-Prust-Parros/White/Dumont

(Gionta IR)
Finally another person getting the DD on the wing idea. Though I'd still find a way to have him play with Pacioretty:

Bourque-Plekanec-Morrow
Briere-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Desharnais-Eller-Pacioretty

Any of these lines can be the 1st or 3rd lines in any given game, but clearly the most complete line when you take into account offense and defensive prowess is the Plex line.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I'd rather we find Plekanec a good winger who he can be with for 2-3 years. Instead of a one year player. Plekanec and Bourque weren't that bad. They just need another winger not named Gionta and they are solid.

I would kinda agree that top 6 needs more size than bottom 6. But give me the option, I'd take Morrow. Get rid of Moen while we are at it, to balance things out a bit.
I would too but there's nothing left on the UFA market and we are in desparately need size in our current to 6. Jagr would be good a short term solution and the chemistry with Plekanec would be a big +.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:55 PM
S Bah

Quote:

Signing Morrow is a no-brainer, he's the proto-type player the Habs want and is a perfect role model for all of the youngsters that will be coming up during the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post

Trade Moen, Desharnais
Sign Morrow

Tinordi - Subban
Markov - Emelin/Gorges
Drewiske

Price
Budaj

The Habs are getting close to the 50 contract limit, but signing a big center like Boyle with 6yrs. exp. in the NHL would be gold especially in the playoffs. Guys with his size that can play center are rare to say the least.

Within three years the Habs should be making a serious run at the SC and players like Brian Boyle and Mike McCarron in the lineup will wear down the opponents. Not to mention Boyle's game improves in "Money Games" as will McCarron's game, after watching him play at the U/18's this year it became obvious. If Boyle's available now sign him or trade for him as quickly as possible.

Cody Franson could be a good seventh Dman, I would much prefer the Habs keep an eye on Tyler Hill's progress, as he wasn't drafted this year. Tyler Hill being a hulking LW might fill George Parros's role in a couple of yrs. and could become a decent hockey player also.

If Hill's abilities improve as I expect they will, the Habs could ice one of the biggest lines ever in a couple of yrs. Boyle (Center 6'7"), McCarron (RW 6'5") and Hill (LW6'6") McCarron is still growing apparently, Andy Murray the coach at WMU lists him at 6'6" and 235 lbs. The Habs could have one of these players on each of the top three lines, to keep opponents in line as well as scoring.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Signing Morrow is a no-brainer, he's the proto-type player the Habs want and is a perfect role model for all of the youngsters that will be coming up during the year.

The Habs are getting close to the 50 contract limit, but signing a big center like Boyle with 6yrs. exp. in the NHL would be gold especially in the playoffs. Guys with his size that can play center are rare to say the least.

Within three years the Habs should be making a serious run at the SC and players like Brian Boyle and Mike McCarron in the lineup will wear down the opponents. Not to mention Boyle's game improves in "Money Games" as will McCarron's game, after watching him play at the U/18's this year it became obvious. If Boyle's available now sign him or trade for him as quickly as possible.

Cody Franson could be a good seventh Dman, I would much prefer the Habs keep an eye on Tyler Hill's progress, as he wasn't drafted this year. Tyler Hill being a hulking LW might fill George Parros's role in a couple of yrs. and could become a decent hockey player also.

If Hill's abilities improve as I expect they will, the Habs could ice one of the biggest lines ever in a couple of yrs. Boyle (Center 6'7"), McCarron (RW 6'5") and Hill (LW6'6") McCarron is still growing apparently, Andy Murray the coach at WMU lists him at 6'6" and 235 lbs. The Habs could have one of these players on each of the top nine lines, to keep opponents in line as well as scoring.
Boyle is not a UFa so he can't be signed. He's massively overrated here.

Alsop the Habs are not close to their 50 contract limit, I believe with RFA's they are at 43.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Habssince89
Feel the Radulove

vCash: 351
Morrow would be an ideal complementary player. Great leader, and even at his age hes more than serviceable in the kind of role the habs will put him in. I really hope we can sign him. Any other teams rumoured to be after him?

Old
07-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Smokey Thompson

Would definitely like seeing Morrow in a Habs jersey.
Have wanted a player like him for years now.

The problem is our forward lineup is almost full and we're approaching the cap limit.
And i still believe we have to improve on D as just about every dman not named Subban or Tinordi was embarrassing to say the least during the playoffs.

Will be interesting to see which way MB goes in the coming weeks.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:04 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Being Canadian is a pro?
Yeah man! WE THE BEST!

Old
07-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

If the habs have already expressed interest, and morrow wanted to be here, I think he already would have signed by now.

Since he isn't signed, either morrow isn't THAT interested in Montreal, or he wants more money, and the habs wont get into any bidding war as evidenced by their frenzy activity.

Similar scenario to jagr, really.

As far as morrow the hockey player goes, I like him, however, he doesn't address any massive needs on this club. Having said that, if you have struck out on addressing those big needs, and you have some money laying around to provide morrow a short term offer, why not give it a shot? He's the type of player that can fit on any team, and provide leadership and dare I say it.... character.

Last edited by Hackett: 07-10-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Closed Thread