HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs have spoken with Morrow

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 03:17 PM
gusfring

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
If the habs have already expressed interest, and morrow wanted to be here, I think he already would have signed by now.

Since he isn't signed, either morrow isn't THAT interested in Montreal, or he wants more money, and the habs wont get into any bidding war as evidenced by their frenzy activity.

Similar scenario to jagr, really.

As far as morrow the hockey player goes, I like him, however, he doesn't address any massive needs on this club. Having said that, if you have struck out on addressing those big needs, and you have some money laying around to provide morrow a short term offer, why not give it a shot? He's the type of player that can fit on any team, and provide leadership and dare I say it.... character.
I can only imagine what our offer would be for Morrow, after the Vinny lowball.

1ry/900k?

Old
07-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Would be really pleased if he's signed for short term. Perfect 3rd liner that fills a lot of need involving grit. He can actually play tougher D minutes too. Might work well with Plekanec:

Morrow - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Briere - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Eller - Bourque

Old
07-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Would be really pleased if he's signed for short term. Perfect 3rd liner that fills a lot of need involving grit. He can actually play tougher D minutes too. Might work well with Plekanec:

Morrow - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Briere - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Eller - Bourque
I really, really don't think we should be slotting Briere at C at this point in his career. He's not that great on faceoffs, is often overmatched defensively, and we have Galchenyuk who could probably benefit from taking those minutes.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:34 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I really, really don't think we should be slotting Briere at C at this point in his career. He's not that great on faceoffs, is often overmatched defensively, and we have Galchenyuk who could probably benefit from taking those minutes.
Agree. If desharnais somehow disappears like in that lineup, then you can have a sheltered line with Galchenyuk at C and briere on wing to help show him how to stick people in the balls. #character

So you're left with two tough minute lines and an exploitation line that will help galchenyuk ease into the C position. briere on his wing will also help when he's thrown out of faceoffs. Better than prust, I guess.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:37 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Agree. If desharnais somehow disappears like in that lineup, then you can have a sheltered line with Galchenyuk at C and briere on wing to help show him how to stick people in the balls. #character

So you're left with two tough minute lines and an exploitation line that will help galchenyuk ease into the C position. briere on his wing will also help when he's thrown out of faceoffs. Better than prust, I guess.
We get it. You don't like Briere.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:

And, add Morrow to that mix and you've got something even more interesting:

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Eller-Gallagher
Morrow-Galchenyuk-Briere
Prust-White-Moen

Davey's here to stay, though. No need to get our hopes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Unlike yourself, many of us here have brought something to the table as to why we don't like the Briere signing other than "he gets points in the playoffs!".

Old
07-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Ginu

If we're planning on playing Galchenyuk to center this year, DD can't play center. We don't have the space at center and can't shelter two centers in our lineup to face weaker opposition.

With Morrow:

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Eller - Briere
Morrow - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Moen - White - Prust
Parros

I don't see how we'd be able to get Morrow without trading DD.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:39 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Feel free to bring forth an actual argument, we're talking hockey here.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Feel free to bring forth an actual argument, we're talking hockey here.
He gets points.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Year 101

I'd love to have Morrow on the habs, but it doesn't really make sense as we'd have too many forwards without a trade even if Gio starts the lineup on IR. That being said Morrow would being Grit, Goal score, charachter and leadership to the team, I'd prefer this over Jagr any day.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:42 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
He gets points.

I've actually said in the past that i'm fine with the briere acquisition as long as DD is moved for the exact reason I posted above. It allows galchenyuk to develop at C on an exploitation line, and we have Briere who can slot in if we have some injuries.

It is really convenient that the playoff points stats column contains all the context necessary to judge a player, though.

And I like your lineup in your previous post. It is pretty sploosh worthy, I have to say. Wouldn't mind signing Morrow cheap if we can have that lineup in place. Otherwise, no room. As he's NOT better than Gionta, despite what some in here would like to believe.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
I'm not that confident he'll be given such a role so soon. MT showed last season he's more inclined on giving top offensive opportunities to vets regardless of performance.

In terms of f/o and defense - pretty much the same as what Desharnais brings but with a history of at least playing a bit more tougher competition.

Having both DD and Briere in the top 6 is really going to be scary...Plekanec can't shelter everyone and I'm not sure Eller is ready yet to increase his D competition which is already right behind Pleks.

Morrow/Gionta have historically shown they won't be lit up by facing off against top line so I don't think they'll have issues playing the role with Plekanec. Bourque showed some chemistry with Galchenyuk and might benefit from a lighter D role with Eller.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Milhouse40

Bourque - Plekanec - Brière
Pacioretty - Eller - Desharnais
Prust - White - Parros/Moen

When Gionta's back, trade him or DD
But hten, we might have have other injuries!!

Old
07-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Morrow-Galchenyuk-Briere
Prust-White-Moen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Moen - White - Prust
Parros
Hmmm now that I see it this way...I change my mind. Morrow has a reputation as a leader and can even back up the Gallys when opposition try to intimidate them. He's sound (not the greatest but ok) defensively so would help in that side too.

Pacioretty - Eller - Gallagher/Briere
Morrow - Galchenyuk - Briere/Gallagher
Moen - White - Prust
Dumont/Parros

Somehow this lineup doesn't even seem that 'smurf' as it would with DD. Grit/size/skill every line. Feel bad for Plekanec though.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:53 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Hmmm now that I see it this way...I change my mind. Morrow has a reputation as a leader and can even back up the Gallys when opposition try to intimidate them. He's sound (not the greatest but ok) defensively so would help in that side too.

Moen - White - Prust
Dumont/Parros

Somehow this lineup doesn't even seem that 'smurf' as it would with DD. Grit/size/skill every line.
I really like that line-up. I'd probably put Briere with Patches and Eller, and Gallagher with Morrow and Galchenyuk.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

If Morrow signs here. Wouldn't we have too many forwards?

Old
07-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
And, add Morrow to that mix and you've got something even more interesting:

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Morrow-Galchenyuk-Briere
Prust-White-Moen

Davey's here to stay, though. No need to get our hopes up.

Unlike yourself, many of us here have brought something to the table as to why we don't like the Briere signing other than "he gets points in the playoffs!".
I can actually get on board with a lineup like that. If DD somehow magically disappeared overnight and with Parros, Dumont and a call up as spare parts that is not actually a bad group of forwards.

I like the idea of splitting up the Gallys, mostly because entering their 2nd season its time that they each start forging their identities as professionals. Get Brendan on the 2nd line so he can be put into a bonafide scoring role because he's ready, and groom Alex for top duties by giving him sheltered minutes at centre with two veterans who can score and play a little D (well Morrow anyways).

Eller gets a scoring role. Great news and i think he's going to have a great season next year provided his injury did not have any lasting effects (physical or mental).

You could also shift everyone up a spot while Gionta's out, and move Prust to the third line. Patches-Eller-Briere sounds like a pretty good combo to me.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:04 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
He gets points.

- He brings much needed playoffs scoring, while everyone knows it's what we lacked last season.

- He brings some welcome depth at the center position. If there's an injury to Pleks, Desharnais or Eller, we can replace them with Briere and STILL expect the line to have an offensive contributor at C, something very few teams can say.

- He HAS leadership, no matter what you say.

- The guy has something to prove, and will play in front of a crowd that has serious doubts about him.

- He only has a 2 years, 4M/per contract. In the next two years, this team won't be a contender, AND none of our prospects is expected to step up and become a regular NHLer up front in that period. They're expected to continue developing in Hamilton. A stop-gap solution like Briere is not a bad thing, especially knowing a guy like Gionta will be gone next season, that nobody is likely to step up from our prospect pool to replace him that soon, and that we'll have plenty of money to bring size with the cap raising, AND the 10.75M saved from Gionta's and Markov's contracts.

That being said, try to bring some ****ing corsi and fenwick ridiculous stats taken out of context to prove that "his playoffs points are inflated because blahblahblah...". Briere has produced in the playoffs for a lot of different teams. Whether it was an offensive squad in Buffalo, in a primary role in his early Philly years, or in a secondary role in the last few seasons. THAT is a fact.

"Briere, at this point of his career, shouldn't be used at C". That's ridiculous, that's a claim that's clearly out of your ass. Anybody who's watched Briere over the last few seasons know he's way more comfortable as a C, and that he'll always be. He produces more and is way more dangerous when put on C.

We decided to take a smaller risk and hire a player for 2 years instead, and wait for a guy within our reach to actually be available instead of doing a stupid mistake.

But yah... "He gets points"... Perfectly sums it up if you can't read.

What are your arguments again? He's small? He's soft? He's a forward who should be used against weak opposition? He's aging?

Guess what. The big, tough, two-way forwards on the market aren't legion. And the ones who kinda fit that role this summer were had for ridiculous contracts.

I've never seen that big of a controversy for a 2 years, 8M signing. And looking at what's happening on this forum... Looking at the current scapegoats...

Therrien... Bouillon... Desharnais... Briere...

Last edited by JeffMangum: 07-10-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
If Morrow signs here. Wouldn't we have too many forwards?
You didn't get the memo? DD will not play for the Habs next year.

They will either make him disappear, or simply harvest his body for parts in order to patch up Gionta.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
You didn't get the memo? DD will not play for the Habs next year.

They will either make him disappear, or simply harvest his body for parts in order to patch up Gionta.
Help make Gionta taller.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Help make Gionta taller.
Either way, MB isn't signing or trading anyone. Book it.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:18 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Moen gone...
Morrow signed...

Desharnais becomes a midget wrestler...

Old
07-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
He did say he's not planning to trade one of the smurfs. Yet everybody simply assume that DD or Gionta or both are gone.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
He did say he's not planning to trade one of the smurfs. Yet everybody simply assume that DD or Gionta or both are gone.
Exactly. MB likes playing it safe, personally I don't like it to much but I trust him.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Forsead

I'm hoping for him or Cleary. A defenseman would be nice. Also, maybe another physical grinder

Closed Thread