HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs have spoken with Morrow

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Bloumeister
Party like it's 1984

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I've actually said in the past that i'm fine with the briere acquisition as long as DD is moved for the exact reason I posted above. It allows galchenyuk to develop at C on an exploitation line, and we have Briere who can slot in if we have some injuries.

It is really convenient that the playoff points stats column contains all the context necessary to judge a player, though.

And I like your lineup in your previous post. It is pretty sploosh worthy, I have to say. Wouldn't mind signing Morrow cheap if we can have that lineup in place. Otherwise, no room. As he's NOT better than Gionta, despite what some in here would like to believe.
19,000 posts does not mean you're right

Old
07-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I've actually said in the past that i'm fine with the briere acquisition as long as DD is moved for the exact reason I posted above. It allows galchenyuk to develop at C on an exploitation line, and we have Briere who can slot in if we have some injuries.

It is really convenient that the playoff points stats column contains all the context necessary to judge a player, though.

And I like your lineup in your previous post. It is pretty sploosh worthy, I have to say. Wouldn't mind signing Morrow cheap if we can have that lineup in place. Otherwise, no room. As he's NOT better than Gionta, despite what some in here would like to believe.
I don't see how Morrow isn't better than Gionta. He's about as good of a scorer, he's a leader, he plays a more physical game, will sit in front of the net.

Not to say that Gionta isn't a warrior, but Morrow just plays a nicer game. And Morrow doesn't give the other teams breakouts off shots high and wide every other rush.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:22 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Our meat-and-potatoes, minute-eating defenceman is Emelin. In my mind, he is clearly top-4. Hopefully, Emelin will return undiminshed by December. When he does, the Habs will still need a big, mean dependable defenceman. One who--unlike Emelin--can drop the gloves when necessary.

Tinordi is a step in that direction but (rookie or not) one cannot reasonably expect him to do the job alone. Little Frankie B. is the only other source of toughness on the D-line. He has the heart of a lion but at 38-years old, is not likely to grow.

What we desperately require is a Johny Boychuk-type player. Been around. Tough as nails. (Kudos to the Bruins for sticking with Boychuk long enough that he developed into a very useful component of their defensive corps.)
Emelin averaged ~20 mins per game last season. That is not a minute eater.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:27 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
I don't see how Morrow isn't better than Gionta. He's about as good of a scorer, he's a leader, he plays a more physical game, will sit in front of the net.

Not to say that Gionta isn't a warrior, but Morrow just plays a nicer game. And Morrow doesn't give the other teams breakouts off shots high and wide every other rush.
Simply put, he's just not nearly as good a two way player as Gionta.

This board is starting to make me look like a gionta lover, when I'm really not. He's a really frustrating player to watch. Entertainment wise, he's pretty ****. Production wise, he's pretty damn crucial to our top 6. You can't replace him with a morrow or a briere, in the same way you can't replace pleks with Eller or DD.

Eller is bigger and tougher than pleks, plays more physical and goes to the net hard, too, but I wouldn't go slotting him in as our #1 center any time soon. I feel the same things could be said about Morrow vis a vis gionta.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:34 PM
dunner

I really just don't see why we didn't make Morrow our first target, seems to fit way better than Briere on this roster.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:06 PM
EveryDay

Wow Bergy WAKE up and SIGN Morrow!

Old
07-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunner View Post
I really just don't see why we didn't make Morrow our first target, seems to fit way better than Briere on this roster.
Umm no. Above anything we needed pure talent and a goon. Habs don't have that many creative players with great hands. I would love to add Morrow, especially at the expense of Desharnais and put Galchenyuk as the 2nd line center.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I'm hoping for him or Cleary. A defenseman would be nice. Also, maybe another physical grinder
I would like Cleary. Good character guy.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:06 PM
yianik

While Im not thrilled with the signing of Briere, I agree with Maxpac that Briere brings great hands and that is in short supply on this team. He should be good on the half boards and bolster an already good PP. He should also help cycling the puck with his puck control, as long as he can still dodge the hits.
As to Morrow, if the question is can he help this team be better this year, then for me the answer is an absolute yes. While just an average sized player Morrow brought a good skill set which was made very effective given his willingness and determination to consistently play a physical game and go to the tough parts of the ice. Hes 34 now and things are slowing down for him but I think his skill level is still good enough and his tenacity, leadership and character is still there that he would definitely help this team. The only question for me is where that gets us. If its to improve the team this year and have a better chance in the play-offs this coming season, then I think we get it with Morrow. Not enough to go for the Cup though. If its to improve the team to hit a window where we can go for the Cup, then signing him does nothing for that, just like the Briere signing. My only concern with signing him is if it keeps us from making a big trade this summer that would help us open our window to go for the Cup. I want MB to have some Cap space in case a Cap tight team, like the Flyers, is ready to do a trade, so that we can hopefully capitalize from their situation.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:28 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Emelin averaged ~20 mins per game last season. That is not a minute eater.
He play hard minutes on the pk and usely vs top lines of other teams. Don't forget that most player come into the league(dman) playing around 14-18 minutes a game. Anyone playing 20+ minutes is a minute eating player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post

I starting to get annoyed with this whole Gionta thing. Me to, I can't see him fitting in my line up. I would love to keep DD over him simply cause he's french...I know bias of me but it's the habs for crying out loud, they need locale product. One thing is for sure, dough we win a cup with both those player on the roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Wow Bergy WAKE up and SIGN Morrow!
I'm with you but what would say if it was for 3.75+ over 2-3 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I 'm not loving Cleary. If the roster was different maybe but not now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
While Im not thrilled with the signing of Briere, I agree with Maxpac that Briere brings great hands and that is in short supply on this team. He should be good on the half boards and bolster an already good PP. He should also help cycling the puck with his puck control, as long as he can still dodge the hits.
As to Morrow, if the question is can he help this team be better this year, then for me the answer is an absolute yes. While just an average sized player Morrow brought a good skill set which was made very effective given his willingness and determination to consistently play a physical game and go to the tough parts of the ice. Hes 34 now and things are slowing down for him but I think his skill level is still good enough and his tenacity, leadership and character is still there that he would definitely help this team. The only question for me is where that gets us. If its to improve the team this year and have a better chance in the play-offs this coming season, then I think we get it with Morrow. Not enough to go for the Cup though. If its to improve the team to hit a window where we can go for the Cup, then signing him does nothing for that, just like the Briere signing. My only concern with signing him is if it keeps us from making a big trade this summer that would help us open our window to go for the Cup. I want MB to have some Cap space in case a Cap tight team, like the Flyers, is ready to do a trade, so that we can hopefully capitalize from their situation.
Well I also am not crazy about the Briere signing. He's injured prone, soft and a winer.
He also stud the Habs up years back. Moving on cause he's now on the roster. He's a good skater who see the ice very well. A proven point producer and PO man. IMO the Habs needs a few more tweaking in order to maximized Briere's potential. Morrow could be a piece of the puzzle.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Craig71

Why don't we go after a big physical D to help us with our oft injured D core?

Old
07-10-2013, 10:00 PM
dunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Umm no. Above anything we needed pure talent and a goon. Habs don't have that many creative players with great hands. I would love to add Morrow, especially at the expense of Desharnais and put Galchenyuk as the 2nd line center.
I've got to disagree with you. Habs were top 5 in scoring last year and I don't expect regression from the rooks. What I judged on was both Briere and Morrow are clearly regressing if Briere doesn't score he is useless If Morrow doesn't he can still be an effective grinder and provide grit. Also Morrow outproduced Briere last season and still can add supplemental offense to a 3rd line.

Also don't agree with pure Goons. Orr and McLaren add nothing to the laughs but Chara, Lucic, Macquaid and Thornton help the B's because they are not negative value when on the ice.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Effective in front of the net, got good speed, play gritty. Pretty much like Morrow, but he has more playoff experience. For me it's one or the other.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:12 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
He play hard minutes on the pk and usely vs top lines of other teams. Don't forget that most player come into the league(dman) playing around 14-18 minutes a game. Anyone playing 20+ minutes is a minute eating player.
Emelin was 5th in defensemen for PK TOI/G.

Do you have evidence he had higher quality of competition than other defensemen on the team? I don't know, but you are making the assertion.

20 minutes for a defenseman a night (19:40 a night to be precise) was good for 5th for defensemen on the team.

Of course, Emelin received little to no PP time, so that is skewed a bit.

However, 20 minutes a night is average for a defensmen considering there are three pairings on a team and there is 60+ minutes in a game.

A minute eating defensemen receives ~24 minutes of ice time a night, in any given situation.

No one on the Habs is capable of those types of minutes except Markov and Subban. Considering that Markov gets a nice chunk of his time on the PP, this is simply not good enough and exactly my point.

The Habs desperately need a solid two-way second pairing defenseman.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Habbadasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Emelin was 5th in defensemen for PK TOI/G.

Do you have evidence he had higher quality of competition than other defensemen on the team? I don't know, but you are making the assertion.

20 minutes for a defenseman a night (19:40 a night to be precise) was good for 5th for defensemen on the team.

Of course, Emelin received little to no PP time, so that is skewed a bit.

However, 20 minutes a night is average for a defensmen considering there are three pairings on a team and there is 60+ minutes in a game.

A minute eating defensemen receives ~24 minutes of ice time a night, in any given situation.

No one on the Habs is capable of those types of minutes except Markov and Subban. Considering that Markov gets a nice chunk of his time on the PP, this is simply not good enough and exactly my point.

The Habs desperately need a solid two-way second pairing defenseman.
Why don't you guys take this somewhere else, this is the Morrow thread.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Naslund

With Jagr, we either make the playoff or trade him for a first round pick. Not the case with Morrow. That's why Jagr is the priority.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
Why don't you guys take this somewhere else, this is the Morrow thread.
Okay, my answer is in the UFA frenzy thread.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:36 PM
boundless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
Yeah man! WE THE BEST!

hah! i made those sweatshirts they are wearing!

Old
07-10-2013, 11:52 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naslund View Post
With Jagr, we either make the playoff or trade him for a first round pick. Not the case with Morrow. That's why Jagr is the priority.
A 41 year old Jagr isnt going to net you a first round pick. If that was the case, every team would be banging down his door just to trade him for it.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:03 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boundless View Post
hah! i made those sweatshirts they are wearing!
Wow, really?

Old
07-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Kirk Muller

A big no to Clearly for me. He is a product of a good Detroit team and system and not even a great product at that.

Outside of his blip of 26 goals, he is now a 10-15 goal man and 30-35 point player.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:33 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

I'd take both Jagr and Morrow, find a way to move both DD and Gionta. Would love it!

Old
07-11-2013, 01:55 AM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
A 41 year old Jagr isnt going to net you a first round pick. If that was the case, every team would be banging down his door just to trade him for it.
Perhaps not, but didn't Jagr get Dallas a 1st rounder (29th overall), and two prospects just a couple of month ago?

Old
07-11-2013, 04:16 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Perhaps not, but didn't Jagr get Dallas a 1st rounder (29th overall), and two prospects just a couple of month ago?
Conditional second rounder which became a first because Boston made it to at least the East finals. Plus two useless AHL fodder. Dont see history repeating itself

Old
07-11-2013, 04:37 AM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Conditional second rounder which became a first because Boston made it to at least the East finals. Plus two useless AHL fodder. Dont see history repeating itself
So I was right then? Just checking.

And by the way, though the two prospects were not A-listers, Payne is 19 with some size, and played in the OHL last season. MacDermid is 23, and suited up for 9 NHL games last year.

I think you may be devaluing the return to try and support your point.

Closed Thread