HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs have spoken with Morrow

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 05:14 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
It almost seems like Bergevin thinks the Habs are a contender with the way he has approached this offseason.
it's absolutely not true. if that were the case he would have traded prospects, picks and he would have over payed UFAs in cash and years - none of which he has done yet.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:16 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
So I was right then? Just checking.

And by the way, though the two prospects were not A-listers, Payne is 19 with some size, and played in the OHL last season. MacDermid is 23, and suited up for 9 NHL games last year.

I think you may be devaluing the return to try and support your point.
Yes, but to think teams will pay the same price for a 40 years old player who will obviously be a year older and didnt have great playoffs makes no sense.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:43 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
it's absolutely not true. if that were the case he would have traded prospects, picks and he would have over payed UFAs in cash and years - none of which he has done yet.
His only two moves on paper have been to acquire two veterans on short-term contracts. He has been rumoured to be interested in Jagr, Lecavalier, and Morrow.

The proof is in the pudding no?

One does not need to trade 'picks and prospects' to be in a contender mindset.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Wow Bergy WAKE up and SIGN Morrow!
I'd prefer he wake up and have a good breakfast...worst thing a GM can do is negotiate on an empty stomach. My hunch is Nonis did with Clarkson and it killed him.

Quote:
His only two moves on paper have been to acquire two veterans on short-term contracts. He has been rumoured to be interested in Jagr, Lecavalier, and Morrow.

Signing guys to short tem deals as UFA doesn't mean it's a "contender mindset" it just means if you're going to overpay for UFA's, do it short term so it doesn't impact the cap when Eller Galchenyuk Gallagher Tinordi Beaulieu etc get new deals unlike a guy like Clarkson who will be like cholesterol in the Leafs arteries for 7 years.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:59 AM
WestIslander

I have a feeling that Bergevin is not signing Morrow or Jagr yet because he is going after Coburn and Talbot from Philadelphia, these are two players that will automatically make us a much better team overnight!

Talbot = 4th line centre
Coburn = Top 4 defenseman

Old
07-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Drive425

Quote:

Not sure how adding a couple of vets proves Bergy is in win now mode. There are alot of young players on this team and some veteran leadership will help turn these kids into excellent nhlers.

Loading up at the trade deadline would prove he's in win now mode, not in the offseason.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I have a feeling that Bergevin is not signing Morrow or Jagr yet because he is going after Coburn and Talbot from Philadelphia, these are two players that will automatically make us a much better team overnight!

Talbot = 4th line centre
I don't really care about Talbot, I mean I like the guy and if we can swap for Moen definitely a big yes but I agree, a guy like Coburn is a guy that Bergevin should definitely target. I know it was only rumors and probably BS but that would be a great deal for us going forward

Old
07-11-2013, 08:11 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

Talbot = 4th line centre
I'm not sure if Talbot would do nicely on this roster. Good PO guy not dough. Coburn has add a few season of ...well not his best hockey but I like.
I'm just currious to know what we would offer in a package. Last time I check, Philly needed Ds and in this trade, we would be getting one of there top 4.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I'm not sure if Talbot would do nicely on this roster. Good PO guy not dough. Coburn has add a few season of ...well not his best hockey but I like.
I'm just currious to know what we would offer in a package. Last time I check, Philly needed Ds and in this trade, we would be getting one of there top 4.
Talbot would be better then Moen no doubt about it, he won't fight but he brings 100x more energy to the rink

Old
07-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
- He brings much needed playoffs scoring, while everyone knows it's what we lacked last season.
That's not even the main reason we lost against Ottawa. Briere wouldn't have solved our injury woes or ensured Price played average-calibre hockey while Anderson didn't do his best Jaroslav Halak impersonation. Do you think the Capitals would have won in 2010 had they added Briere, using your logic, because they lacked scoring against us?

Quote:
- He brings some welcome depth at the center position. If there's an injury to Pleks, Desharnais or Eller, we can replace them with Briere and STILL expect the line to have an offensive contributor at C, something very few teams can say.
Okay.

Quote:
- He HAS leadership, no matter what you say.
Fine

Quote:
- The guy has something to prove, and will play in front of a crowd that has serious doubts about him.
So did Scott Gomez. Wait, sorry, because you took a shot at my defending him earlier, I guess bringing him up invalidates the point I'm making. That doesn't mean jack-squat. Plenty of players have something to prove, doesn't mean they're worth having.

Quote:
- He only has a 2 years, 4M/per contract. In the next two years, this team won't be a contender,
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it makes me a kool-aid drinker here to question you and ask you where you bought your crystal ball from.

Quote:
AND none of our prospects is expected to step up and become a regular NHLer up front in that period. They're expected to continue developing in Hamilton. A stop-gap solution like Briere is not a bad thing, especially knowing a guy like Gionta will be gone next season
I've only viewed Briere as a stopgap, so you're preaching to the choir.

Quote:
That being said, try to bring some ****ing corsi and fenwick ridiculous stats taken out of context to prove that "his playoffs points are inflated because blahblahblah...". Briere has produced in the playoffs for a lot of different teams. Whether it was an offensive squad in Buffalo, in a primary role in his early Philly years, or in a secondary role in the last few seasons. THAT is a fact.
You clearly have no interest in comprehending or analyzing what "****ing corsi and fenwick ridiculous stats" (really, your wording there says it all), so there's no point in even trying to change your mind. Stay set in your own simple-minded offensive production bubble and ignore the complete liability Briere is overall, in spite of this supposed production. That's cool. I can shut my ears and scream loud enough and ignore reality when it stares me in the face too, doesn't mean reality is what I imagine it to be.

Quote:
"Briere, at this point of his career, shouldn't be used at C". That's ridiculous, that's a claim that's clearly out of your ass. Anybody who's watched Briere over the last few seasons know he's way more comfortable as a C, and that he'll always be. He produces more and is way more dangerous when put on C.
Has very little to do with how comfortable or dangerous he is and has very much to do with the type of line matching and opposition that will be required to, even if you keep denying it, mask his defensive deficiencies. If your C is playing good minutes on a top-6 line, as you keep pencilling him in, then he has to be able to play against tough competition. There's no room to shelter both him and DD on two separate lines at C and win games/prevent goals on a consistent basis, unless we get incredibly lucky. The odds would be strongly against two diminutive, overmatched Cs playing quality minutes on two separate lines keeping up any kind of success over prolonged periods of time.

Quote:
But yah... "He gets points"... Perfectly sums it up if you can't read.
I'm not the one here using playoff production as the crux of my argument, as you have. So, come again.

Quote:
What are your arguments again? He's small? He's soft? He's a forward who should be used against weak opposition? He's aging?

Guess what. The big, tough, two-way forwards on the market aren't legion. And the ones who kinda fit that role this summer were had for ridiculous contracts.
Let me get this straight: you list out the common criticisms of Briere then dismiss them with a blanket statement by saying there are no big forwards available that could have been had for reasonable contracts?

So it's ok to avoid making a big mistake in handing out money like candy to overrated grinders like Clarkson and Clowe and instead hand that money to declining, soft, aging, small players like Briere because there was no good option available in the size category?

Impressively done on your part to dodge the real questions about Briere, which you have yet to actually directly address.

Quote:
I've never seen that big of a controversy for a 2 years, 8M signing. And looking at what's happening on this forum... Looking at the current scapegoats...

Therrien... Bouillon... Desharnais... Briere...
Look at you, trying again to blanket everyone here. Bouillon, Desharnais, and Briere all have serious issues as players, and on one team that's hurting for an upgrade in makeup, it is most certainly an issue whether you want to admit it or not.

I have no problem with Therrien. And believe it or not, I don't dislike Briere. I, like many others here, have some legitimate concerns about his ability to fit into our lineup while redundantly compounding a dimension (small/soft) we already had enough of. It's not a bad signing, but the risk highly outweighs the reward that he shapes up and proves everyone that the last 2 seasons weren't the start of an alarming dry-up in his production.

I'll give him his chance and fair due, just like everyone should.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:41 AM
No Team Needed

Game four.

Montreal had a 2-0 lead.

Ottawa scored an illegal goal in the third period and followed it up less than 10 minutes to tie the game. Ottawa then wins in overtime to take a 3-1 series stranglehold instead of Montreal turning it into a 2-2 series.

Nope, a proven point producer certainly wouldn't have helped.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:45 AM
BigDaddyLurch
I fought the Law...

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Game four.

Montreal had a 2-0 lead.

Ottawa scored an illegal goal in the third period and followed it up less than 10 minutes to tie the game. Ottawa then wins in overtime to take a 3-1 series stranglehold instead of Montreal turning it into a 2-2 series.

Nope, a proven point producer certainly wouldn't have helped.
Actually, if you look at the footage of the Ottawa 2nd goal with 30ish second left, you'll see Kyle Turris interfere with Carey Price in the crease seconds before the goal went in...so both goals shouldn't have counted...not that I'm still POed or anything...

Old
07-11-2013, 08:48 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

They were both good goals. We lost. The end.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:51 AM
BigDaddyLurch
I fought the Law...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
It's never the end...Habs fans hold grudges forever...you should know that...

Old
07-11-2013, 08:53 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
Montreal indeed lost but you were definitely dreaming of Drouin and not paying attention to the game if you thought the first goal was by the rules. Sens fans admitted it, everyone who watched the video admitted it, Kerry Fraser said it was a no goal and the NHL apologized for it.

If Montreal had added a third goal, they would have won. But everyone focuses on the blow outs instead of the actual turning point in the series.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Montreal indeed lost but you were definitely dreaming of Drouin and not paying attention to the game if you thought the first goal was by the rules. Sens fans admitted it, everyone who watched the video admitted it, Kerry Fraser said it was a no goal and the NHL apologized for it.

If Montreal had added a third goal, they would have won. But everyone focuses on the blow outs instead of the actual turning point in the series.
I thought it was placing the faceoff on the wrong side of the ice they apologized about. Or was it the false icing calls?

Old
07-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Ottawa had just about every break in that series...

Price/Budaj both palyed like crap
Anderson played his best hockey EVER
They got a few controversial calls go their way
They got Spezza back
We lost Emelin(reg season) Eller Prust Gionta Pacioretty and eventually Price

Old
07-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

Price/Budaj both palyed like crapAnderson played his best hockey EVER
They got Spezza back
Not trying to defend him or anything but Price wasn't THAT bad. Anderson was miles ahead but in the 4 games Price played, he was bad "only" in half of them. He was good in game 2 and 4. Budaj in the other hand was just pathetic.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

Price/Budaj both palyed like crap
Anderson played his best hockey EVER
They got Spezza back
Exactly.

Adding Briere may have given us a chance to tie the series at 2, but he alone wouldn't have been enough to overcome everything you just listed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
I thought it was placing the faceoff on the wrong side of the ice they apologized about. Or was it the false icing calls?
It was the faceoff on the wrong side, if memory serves me right. No way did they apologize for the blown no-goal.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Not trying to defend him or anything but Price wasn't THAT bad. Anderson was miles ahead but in the 4 games Price played, he was bad "only" in half of them. He was good in game 2 and 4. Budaj in the other hand was just pathetic.
Yeah but Budaj gave up a weak one to lose game 4 so in 4 of 5 games they gave up bad goals. Overall goaltending was the biggest issue in that series.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
You can't be good in the playoffs for only half of them. I love Price but game 1 those weak goals he gave up early in the 3rd killed us.

As for Budaj it's kind of thought to come in the way he did in OT in game 4, + that deflected shot that beat him he had no chance. In game 5 he was terrible but just as much as the rest of his teammates

Old
Coldplay
Courage

Budaj was put into a no-win spot, though. Price gets pulled and he comes in and a fluttering shot through traffic hits Diaz and squeaks in.

Game 5 was just forgettable all-around, goaltending included.

Not to dwell.

Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Exactly.

Adding Briere may have given us a chance to tie the series at 2, but he alone wouldn't have been enough to overcome everything you just listed out.

It was the faceoff on the wrong side, if memory serves me right. No way did they apologize for the blown no-goal.
I think bringing in Briere is replacing Ryder for 2 years, they see more character in Briere than Ryder. Judging by what Ryder signed for in NJ the Hbas probably could have had him for 7-8 mil over 2 yeras had they wanted.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Budaj was put into a no-win spot, though. Price gets pulled and he comes in and a fluttering shot through traffic hits Diaz and squeaks in.

Game 5 was just forgettable all-around, goaltending included.

Not to dwell.
The back angle replay showed it never touched Diaz and Budaj confirmed it. I agree it was a tough spot, but he crapped the bed in game 5.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
You can't be good in the playoffs for only half of them. I love Price but game 1 those weak goals he gave up early in the 3rd killed us.

As for Budaj it's kind of thought to come in the way he did in OT in game 4, + that deflected shot that beat him he had no chance. In game 5 he was terrible but just as much as the rest of his teammates
I never said Price was good just saying that he didn't played like crap. He was good in 2 of the 4 games and the first 2 periods of game 3.

As for Budaj and his weak goal in OT, wasn't that shot going wide and Budaj deflected it back in his net himself?

Closed Thread