HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs have spoken with Morrow

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
You're the reason why we don't deserve a great team.
what does that even mean?

Old
07-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Price My Man Crush

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
what does that even mean?
It means Habs fans are sometimes the most pathetic people on the planet. Saying "someone take that jersey away from Dumont ... WTF is he even doing on this team? useless slug" is pathetic.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:04 PM
DAChampion

Why does pittsburgh nit want morrow?

Old
07-14-2013, 07:05 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Cap issues?

Old
07-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Myron Gaines*

Quote:
They could barely keep Letang, Kunitz and Dupuis.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
0 Cap Space

Old
07-14-2013, 08:28 PM
25get

Flyers, Boston, Sharks, Pittsburgh and Hawks are all over cap or have less than 1M cap space.
CLB, Det, Wild and Min all have 3M or less.
Among those, only Flyers and CLB have a complete roster.

That's almost 10 teams and no more compliance buy-out.

This will be interesting.

Old
07-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Flyers, Boston, Sharks, Pittsburgh and Hawks are all over cap or have less than 1M cap space.
CLB, Det, Wild and Min all have 3M or less.
Among those, only Flyers and CLB have a complete roster.

That's almost 10 teams and no more compliance buy-out.

This will be interesting.
?

Philadelphia, Boston and San Jose are over.

Philadelphia and Boston have Pronger and Savard to put on LTIR

San Jose has a "complete" roster. They're 1 forward and 1 dman over.
Philadelphia has 13 forwards and 10 dman. 1-2 (maybe even 3( dman will be dealt.
Boston has 13 forwards and 7 dman. Nobody to re-sign. They're fine.
Pittsburgh has 12 forwards and 7 d. Probably need another forward. Could just be a prospect.
Chicago - They have 13 forwards and 7dman. They're good.
Columbus has 14 forwards and 7 dman. They could just send 1 forward down.
Detroit has 14 forwards and 6 dman. Likely to deal a forward for a dman.
Tampa has 12 forwards and 7 d. They were rumoured to be shopping Malone. They'll need another forward. Likely Connolly
Minnesota has 13 forwards and 7 dman. They're good.

The Islanders' team is "set" and they have 19 mill in space.

Florida has 14 forwards and 5 dman. Could look to add a dman, but they also have 18 mill in space.

Old
07-14-2013, 08:53 PM
zzoo

No news (about Morrow) is bad news ?

Old
07-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Saintpatrick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Come on.

The year that the team finished first in the conference was basically a team chalk full of homegrown players throughout the line-up.

Also, keep in mind the last management team brought in Timmins and co. They did build through the draft. And they produced two of the best teams that we had in the last two decades. And they got results. I don't see what there is more to ask for.

Not every trade was perfect. But at the end of the day they made the playoffs 6 out of 7 years (I am not counting the last season with Gauthier at the helm) and made the conference finals, with a number of second round appearances.

Good track record to me.
You must be a glass half full kind of guy. The Gainey regime was a frikken disaster. There's only two reasons why that team made it to the conference finals. Halak played out of his mind and Cammy was a beast in the playoffs that year. Yes we finished first in the conference in the 07-08 season but then he blew the team up two years later. The years following that conference finals run were a disaster, a first round exit and a last place conference finish. Hardly a good track record.

Gauthier was slightly better than Gainey but then again he wasn't with the team long enough to cause significant damage (thank goodness). The number of players Gainey let go for nothing or very little return are staggering. I really believe Gainey had a long term plan but he panicked and went with that half assed UFA rebuild. Gauthier was handicapped by Gainey's poor cap management and really couldn't put his stamp on the team or change it in the short time he was with the team. Gainey made one good decison when he was here. He hired Timmins. Other than that I don't see much good that came out his time here as GM.

Bergevin now has to dig the team out of the mess those two GM's left him with. So far so good but it's going to take a good 3 to 4 years before we see any significant change.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post

His (GM Bergevin) main objective is to build through the draft and create a young powerhouse......
Bergevin knows what we need, but he also knows the price to get what we need right now is not worth it.

He could be working on something that is worth it....he could be standing pat because the price is too high. Nobody knows what is going on in bergevins head...the season doesn't start for months and imo we are a better team with briere and parros than without them.
I also had to quote your post...very interesting post

Old
07-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Myron Gaines*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I also had to quote your post...very interesting post
That post should be stickied somewhere. Tired of seeing people whine about the Briere deal.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:36 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Might as well move on.

The team is what u see right now, unfortunately.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:53 PM
NobleSix
Max Patio-Ready

vCash: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Might as well move on.

Long season wooohooo

Old
07-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
Do you think Morrow turn the Habs into a contender for this year or the year after? That's what you gotta ask yourself. If you don't think so, then Morrow pretty much act as a hole-filler till our young guy develop.

Yeah, of course Bourque is better for us than Desharnais. But Desharnais has next to no trade value on the market.

When are we gonna be a cup contender then? 2-3 years from now? 2-3 years from now he we start building smartly. 2-3 years from now, Bourque is gonna be near 35 year old. Is value is gonna be really low and I doubt he will still be a useful player for us. He still has some value, we could use him as a trade baits and go after a 26-28 years old solid top 4 dman That said d-man would have A LOT better chance to help us in 2-3 years.

And I doubt Bergevin, Mr build trough the draft, trade a 26 years old foward in Desharnais to make place for the old Morrow, while keeping old Plekanec, old Gionta, old Briere and old Bourque into the line-up. Seems like a not so bright way do build for the future.
First off Bourque and Plekanec aren't old. They still have 4-5 years left of premier hockey. Secondly the reason why Desharnais isn't required on this team is he lacks Versatility. He isn't better than Eller or Pleks and once Galchenyuk is deemed ready by the staff there is no chance he is better than him so he would line up as our 4th line center. He can't play wing, he isn't a defensive forward so in reality what is his true use? A stopgap until Galchenyuk is ready. Now that we have Briere we literally have zero need for him. Bourque on the other hand is exactly what we need more of on this team, a big guy who will crash the net and go into the dirty areas.

Plain and simply we are making a puzzle and your trying to jam a piece that clearly doesn't fit in there because it's younger? Sure Bourque would make sense to trade from an age perspective but unless we are trading him for a younger version of him it's a step back words that's only going to put more pressure on players who aren't capable to play the role we will then need them to.

I want Morrow because he fits our system like a glove, hard working, responsible and creates a winning environment. The unfortunate part is that with the bonuses of Galchenyuk we don't have cap space for him.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:15 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpatrick View Post
You must be a glass half full kind of guy. The Gainey regime was a frikken disaster. There's only two reasons why that team made it to the conference finals. Halak played out of his mind and Cammy was a beast in the playoffs that year. Yes we finished first in the conference in the 07-08 season but then he blew the team up two years later. The years following that conference finals run were a disaster, a first round exit and a last place conference finish. Hardly a good track record.

Gauthier was slightly better than Gainey but then again he wasn't with the team long enough to cause significant damage (thank goodness). The number of players Gainey let go for nothing or very little return are staggering. I really believe Gainey had a long term plan but he panicked and went with that half assed UFA rebuild. Gauthier was handicapped by Gainey's poor cap management and really couldn't put his stamp on the team or change it in the short time he was with the team. Gainey made one good decison when he was here. He hired Timmins. Other than that I don't see much good that came out his time here as GM.

Bergevin now has to dig the team out of the mess those two GM's left him with. So far so good but it's going to take a good 3 to 4 years before we see any significant change.
No, I just don't have ridiculous expectations like countless on this board.

Gainey transformed a team in the complete dumps into a team that made the playoffs 6 out of 7 years.

Funny that you say Bergevin has to dig the team out of the mess when you don't consider Gainey did a far better job, with a far worse beginning roster.

When Gainey got the team, we had a young Plekanec, Markov and Theodore. That's freaking it.

I am glad you can boil down a great playoff run to two players. It may make sense in your head, but it doesn't in real life. Anyone who says a hockey team made it X far because of two players is out for lunch.

"Gauthier was slightly better than Gainey" LOL...all he did was drive the team into the freaking ground.

-----

And it's kind of funny to see people harp on him for all the players he let go. When you look at those players now, most of them are tweeners or play very small roles on their current team. Players like D'Agostini, Higgins, Lapierre, Kostitsyns, O'Byrne are really nothing players that are fringe players on their teams or don't even play in the NHL anymore.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Year 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I strongly doubt were getting Morrow, I think if MB does a move it'll be via trade, but I will say this, No news for the habs is usually good news. Every time there's a ton of fake rumours the less likely the chance of the deal actually happening.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Saintpatrick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
No, I just don't have ridiculous expectations like countless on this board.

Gainey transformed a team in the complete dumps into a team that made the playoffs 6 out of 7 years.

Funny that you say Bergevin has to dig the team out of the mess when you don't consider Gainey did a far better job, with a far worse beginning roster.

When Gainey got the team, we had a young Plekanec, Markov and Theodore. That's freaking it.

I am glad you can boil down a great playoff run to two players. It may make sense in your head, but it doesn't in real life. Anyone who says a hockey team made it X far because of two players is out for lunch.

"Gauthier was slightly better than Gainey" LOL...all he did was drive the team into the freaking ground.

-----

And it's kind of funny to see people harp on him for all the players he let go. When you look at those players now, most of them are tweeners or play very small roles on their current team. Players like D'Agostini, Higgins, Lapierre, Kostitsyns, O'Byrne are really nothing players that are fringe players on their teams or don't even play in the NHL anymore.
First of all Andre Savard started the transformation out of the mess Houle left for him. He inherited a team that was bad yes but you give Gainey far far far too much credit for the job he did. When he was hired he inherited Saku Koivu, Craig Rivet, Mike Ribeiro, Mike Komisarek, Michael Ryder, Sheldon Souray, Francois Beauchemin, Jose Theodore, and Sheldon Souray, Jose Theodore. So yeah it was a bad team but the core was there already.

In his first season he didn't do much except lose Francois Beauchemin on waivers. He did get Kovalev though which was probably his best move. Drafted Andrei Kostitsyn, Maxim Lapierre and Jaroslav Halak.

The next year was a lockout year. He drafts Chipchura, Alexei Yemelin and Mark Streit.

Year two he drafts Price, gets rid of players like Brisebois (bought out), Stephane Quintal. Dowd, Kilger and Hainsey. Signs Mathieu Dandenault as a UFA. Fires Juilen (unjustly I might add). Trades Theo for Aebisher. What a dynasty he's building!

Year three he drafts David Fischer and Ryan White. Signs Sergei Samsonov as a UFA. Trades Mike Ribeiro for jack ****, and in one of his better trades trades Rivet for Gorges and a 1st round pick (Max Pacioretty).

Year four he lets Sourey walk for nada (another one of those fringe players you mentioned), trades Samsonov for Jassen Cullimore, signs UFA's Roman Hamrlik, Bryan Smolinski, Patrice Brisebois and Tom Kostopoulos. Trades Huet for a 2nd round pick and still waiting for see where he made the team better....

Year five loses both Ryder and Streit for nada (more fringe players?) Trades our first round pick in 2008 and our 2nd in 2009 for Tanguay (wtf?) Signs Georges Laraque as a UFA, trades a 2nd round pick for Robert Lang and signs David Desharnais. Fires his 2nd coach (Carbo)

Year six (the year of the panicked half assed rebuild)
Lets Komisarek, Kovalev, Robert Lang, Alex Tanguay, Patrice Brisebois, Francis Bouillon, Mathieu Dandenault, Mathieu Schneider and the beloved captain Koivu walk for NOTHING! Trades Higgins and McDonagh for Gomez. Drafts Louis Leblanc. Signs Jaroslav Spacek, Hal Gill, Mike Cammalleri, Brian Gionta, Paul Mara, Travis Moen and Andreas Engqvist.

We made the playoffs 4 out of 5 seasons with Gainey so yes I agree he did pull us out of the downward spiral we were in but like I said above we had a decent core before he was hired. We had Timmins in place before he was hired and he was Gainey's saving grace but the asset management was just awful. The amount of draft picks alone that were traded away. In his time with the Habs he traded 20 picks away. 20!!! He loses Ribero, Sourey, Ryder, Streit, Beauchemin, Robert Lang, Alex Tanguay, Patrice Brisebois, Francis Bouillon, Mathieu Dandenault, Mathieu Schneider, Kovalev, and Koivu and doesn't get one good asset back for any of them. Those aren't marginal players.

As far as that conference finals run I was summarizing but yes if it wasn't for Cammy's timely scoring and Halak standing on his head we wouldn't have made it that far. Gionta and Gomez were great as was Hal Gill but if you boil it down Halak carried us there.

If you compare the two GM's Gauthier wasn't with the team as long and like I said in my last post he was handcuffed by the massive contracts Gainey signed in his slap dash rebuild. Gauthier traded away the marginal players you mentioned not Gainey. D'Agostini, the Kostitsyns, Lappierre, O'Byrne all traded away by Gauthier. Traded Halak for Eller, Signed Cole, drafted Beaulieu and Tinordi. Traded Cammy for Bourque.

If any GM ran the team into the ground it was Gainey. Gauthier made some strange personnel decisions and wasn't a great GM by any stretch but just take a look at Gainey's time here objectively. He just wasn't a good GM. I didn't have unrealistic expectations but I really wanted him to build us a cup winner. When he was hired I had such high hopes, I really did but he left us in a hell of a mess after he quit on the team.

Last edited by Saintpatrick*: 07-15-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old
07-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Might as well move on.

You don't know that for sure. Maybe Bergevin did show interest to Morrow and promised him something but needed to make a few moves before, we don't know

Old
07-15-2013, 10:42 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal961 View Post

Long season wooohooo
better team than last year

Old
07-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
You don't know that for sure. Maybe Bergevin did show interest to Morrow and promised him something but needed to make a few moves before, we don't know
There's no rush to sign Morrow. He'll sign somewhere, whether with us or not, in the next month or two.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:45 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Trade with the Flyers. They are both waiting for the other to blink.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Trade with the Flyers. They are both waiting for the other to blink.
Who knows what it is but the season is still far away and plenty can get done until. People need to relax

Old
07-15-2013, 10:56 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
better team than last year
How so? It's the same team.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
Bergevin knows what we need, but he also knows the price to get what we need right now is not worth it.

He could be working on something that is worth it....he could be standing pat because the price is too high. Nobody knows what is going on in bergevins head...the season doesn't start for months and imo we are a better team with briere and parros than without them.
If nobody knows what is going on in Bergevin's head then how do you know he knows what we need?

Closed Thread