HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs have spoken with Morrow

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
How so? It's the same team.
No respect for the Greek guy

It is pretty much the same, replaced Ryder by Briere and that was it. Hoping the youngsters don't have a sophomore slump cause that would kill us

Old
07-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Pax Macioretty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
If nobody knows what is going on in Bergevin's head then how do you know he knows what we need?
Because every move he makes has long term purposes behind it. He already knows who or how is he is going to replace the player he just got.

As for Morrow, unless we're able to trade both Desharnais and Moen for picks, I would rather go with Prust on the 3rd line and stick with Moen-White-Parros/Dumont on the 4th line. Prust is younger, more versatile and protects the kids like nobody else.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Because every move he makes has long term purposes behind it. He already knows who or how is he is going to replace the player he just got.

As for Morrow, unless we're able to trade both Desharnais and Moen for picks, I would rather go with Prust on the 3rd line and stick with Moen-White-Parros/Dumont on the 4th line. Prust is younger, more versatile and protects the kids like nobody else.
I'm on the fence for Morrow if we are dealing a forward then sure go for it otherwise I don't think we really have the room for him.

But plenty of MB's moves don't have long term purposes or make me question whether he can reach that long term goal. Giving Subban a cheap bridge deal and now having to overpay for him going forward is exhibit A.

And besides even if he has a long term purpose behind his moves, that doesn't mean he knows what we need it just means he has a 5 year plan just like every other GM/armchair GM out there. Having a plan is not evidence that it's a good plan.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I'm on the fence for Morrow if we are dealing a forward then sure go for it otherwise I don't think we really have the room for him.

But plenty of MB's moves don't have long term purposes or make me question whether he can reach that long term goal. Giving Subban a cheap bridge deal and now having to overpay for him going forward is exhibit A.And besides even if he has a long term purpose behind his moves, that doesn't mean he knows what we need it just means he has a 5 year plan just like every other GM/armchair GM out there. Having a plan is not evidence that it's a good plan.
Not sure how MB giving Subban bridge deal shows that he doesn't have long term purposes in mind. I see quite the opposite actually.

As for Morrow...meh, I think he's still got some decent hockey left in him. It would be interesting to see where he fits into this lineup though.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Teufelsdreck

Morrow isn't Tomorrow. I'd prefer to see development of the many prospects in the Habs system. Let's realize what the past few drafts have yielded.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Morrow isn't Tomorrow. I'd prefer to see development of the many prospects in the Habs system. Let's realize what the past few drafts have yielded.
There's a big gap between Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Tinordi AND Beaulieu, Collberg, Thomas, whatever we've got...

There's nothing coming up front in the next 1 or 2 years, which is the term Morrow might be signed at.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Not sure how MB giving Subban bridge deal shows that he doesn't have long term purposes in mind. I see quite the opposite actually.

As for Morrow...meh, I think he's still got some decent hockey left in him. It would be interesting to see where he fits into this lineup though.
I would think Morrow would play a similar role to Prust last year without the fighting but a little more offence.

As for Subban it's been covered in many threads already but it boils down to this. We will now have to pay him 7-8m when we could've had him at 5m. Subban was willing to to trade dollars for long term security, MB wasn't.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:43 AM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
There's a big gap between Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Tinordi AND Beaulieu, Collberg, Thomas, whatever we've got...

There's nothing coming up front in the next 1 or 2 years, which is the term Morrow might be signed at.
Actually, Thomas has already been called up to the NHL once, and he and Leblanc might very well impress enough at camp to challenge for a spot.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Habsterix*

Quote:
But plenty of MB's moves don't have long term purposes or make me question whether he can reach that long term goal. Giving Subban a cheap bridge deal and now having to overpay for him going forward is exhibit A.
I have to disagree with that. As a matter of fact, I find that most of Bergevin's moves (and non-moves) are showing long term vision. Not trading his draft picks for temporary fixes are the best examples. Hiring staff whose role is solely looking at the development of those young prospects is another. Him saying that he's wanting to build a team who will be contending year-in, year-out is yet another sign that's he's thinking of the future. Him saying that you don't build a winner through free agency but through good draft/development shows continuity and foreground vision.

As for the Subban example, the fan base is divided half and half as to decide if the bridging contract was a good idea or not. Personally, seeing the youngsters around the league being signed too early to long term deals and seeing their reduced production, I strongly believe that Subban tried to prove his past season that he's deserving of that big contract and he'll do the same this coming season. The bridging contract, in my opinion, played a huge role in his motivation and there's a chance that he may not have won the Norris if it weren't for it. Also, Bergevin showed his long term vision knowing that he's getting Subban at rebate for two years (with the cap going down) and by the time his contract expires, the cap will be back up and Markov's contract will be off the books.

Bergevin is the best thing happening to the Habs in 20+ years and in my opinion, he's showing nothing but long term vision.

Now by signing Briere (and possibly Morrow), he's not giving any future away for those guys like he would in a trade. He's simply buying time for his young prospect to develop in order to be productive (and cheap) at the NHL level when those guys are gone. Again, an eye on competing today while keeping a close eye on the future.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
I would think Morrow would play a similar role to Prust last year without the fighting but a little more offence.

As for Subban it's been covered in many threads already but it boils down to this. We will now have to pay him 7-8m when we could've had him at 5m. Subban was willing to to trade dollars for long term security, MB wasn't.
I think Bergevin's resolve taught Subban a valuable lesson and perhaps spurred him to play at a level that merited the Norris trophy. There's more to managing a sports team than mere money.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Whether the Habs have to pay Subban 7-8M next year as opposed to the 5M they could of had him at on a long term deal last year, affects the team how exactly?

There's an assumption that having cap space means you will automatically spend it wisely. That's quite a leap.

Look at the Ryder/Cole swap...everyone was thrilled the Habs were going to save Cole's 4M per year cap hit. But a few weeks later, MB turned around and ate up more then half of those savings by re-signing Desharnais.

As long as MB uses the same template of negotiations with his other players, as he did with Subban (and really, there's no reason he shouldn't) then I have no qualms about the bridge deal he gave Subban. Who cares if he'll be making more money as a result of it, at least he will have earned it.

All MB's done is made his own job a bit more complicated...but that's why he's the GM.

Now back to Morrow...again, i'd be interested in the type of role they would have for him if he's signed. Without moving another veteran forward, I find it difficult to see why they wouldn't just let one of their own nearly-ready prospects compete for a spot.

A guy like Louis Leblanc I think will be motivated this summer to earn a permanent spot next year.

Old
07-15-2013, 12:11 PM
sampollock

no news yet?

Old
07-15-2013, 12:15 PM
NewHabsEra*

Unless we get rid of Bourque or Moen, it wont happen..

Old
07-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
.. why those two?

Old
07-15-2013, 12:27 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Did you watch the playoffs? Bourque was our best forward...

Old
07-15-2013, 12:57 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Huh ??? What the heck does getting rid of the only guy willing to go to the net during the playoffs have to do with signing Morrow ?

Last edited by PunkinDrublic*: 07-15-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old
07-15-2013, 02:11 PM
tinyzombies

Spoke with a guy from Pittsburgh yesterday and he says Morrow was great last year in his time with the Pens until he hurt his knee.

But isn't the the problem with him in the first place, because of his style and now age, always hurt..

I'd love to see him in Montreal though. And offload a few smurfs to smurfland.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 07-15-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old
07-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
This thread hasn't seen any news in Morrow and isn't even about Morrow at this point.

Old
07-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
This thread hasn't seen any news in Morrow and isn't even about Morrow at this point.
Agreed - more news on Morrow please

Old
07-15-2013, 06:07 PM
BigDaddyLurch
#Habs-R-FUBAR

IF we're gonna sign Morrow, we need to make a move first (please let it be Desharnais leaving, please let it be Desharnais leaving, ...)...

Old
07-15-2013, 06:49 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
IF we're gonna sign Morrow, we need to make a move first (please let it be Desharnais leaving, please let it be Desharnais leaving, ...)...
we could only wish!

Old
07-15-2013, 07:37 PM
habs86

vCash: 92
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Is there any news on Morrow?
As another poster stated this thread is not about Morrow...

Old
07-15-2013, 08:31 PM
BubbleGumPlant

The bridge deal for Subban means we get to keep him for 2 yrs and can sign him to another 8. Had there not been a bridge deal we would have signed him to something like 5 yrs and he would be a UFA at age 28. I would rather lock in Subban for 10yrs as opposed to 5yrs.

Problem with Morrow signing is that we're all under the impression he would accept a 1 or 2 yrs contract. What if he's like Vinny and wants 5 years?

Old
07-15-2013, 08:36 PM
BigDaddyLurch
#Habs-R-FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleGumPlant View Post
The bridge deal for Subban means we get to keep him for 2 yrs and can sign him to another 8. Had there not been a bridge deal we would have signed him to something like 5 yrs and he would be a UFA at age 28. I would rather lock in Subban for 10yrs as opposed to 5yrs.

Problem with Morrow signing is that we're all under the impression he would accept a 1 or 2 yrs contract. What if he's like Vinny and wants 5 years?
If we can dump Moen, I would give Morrow the 3 years Moen had left, as long as it was reasonable (Prust money, around 2.5 mill per)...an aged Morrow could still bounce between the 3rd & 4th lines...

Old
07-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Bullsmith

If we have the cap room and if it's a short term contract, then why on earth not add him?

Closed Thread