HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVI: MacT, send more help!

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
What would really suck is if we traded the first away, finished one spot out of the playoffs and watched that pick win the lottery
Plus there's no keeping Hemsky, he's being moved.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Paralyzer008

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Don't the 2 wild card teams have to play their way in?

So if LA, Van and SJ make the playoffs, Ana and Edm would play in no?

Same for the other division, I'm pretty sure you don't play the other 'divisions' until the Stanley Cup Semi-Final.
The rumor is that basically the top two divisional teams play the wildcards. So the 1st place division team with the most points plays 8th, and the other 1st place division team plays 7th. Then the other two matchups are in division, so 2nd vs 3rd.

1) CHI vs 8) ANA
1) LA vs 7) EDM
2) SJ vs 3) VAN
2) STL vs 3) MIN

A play in would make sense though, at least in the East, because there are more teams

Old
07-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Well we at least know that's the plan.

I think that if there is a deal to be made for Hemsky that it happens shortly after Jagr signs or an interested team is out of the running.

I do think that MacT will bring him back though if he can't get something he likes in return.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Did you even watch him the last 2 years? He picked games to play like a first liner and games to coast about looking depressed that Eberle is now the first line RW. Add in the fact that he's been last one on the ice and first one off during practice, and you have a player who straight up doesn't give full effort.
So, in games where he made things happen he was giving an effort but, in others where he didn't create, he was being lazy? And to top it off, it was because Eberle had become the #1 RW? Oh boy..

But since you brought up Eberle...he had a very poor season. Hmm...well, he became the team's #1 RW, got an A on his jersey and signed a long-term 6 million dollar contract. I guess now that he has been handed everything he's become lazy and complacent! Ahhh!

Old
07-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:

I think that if there is a deal to be made for Hemsky that it happens shortly after Jagr signs or an interested team is out of the running.

I do think that MacT will bring him back though if he can't get something he likes in return.
Wouldn't make sense at this point

Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky makes no sense. Is that a checking line? A scoring line?

I think Hemsky will go for a player who is paid too much but less than Hemsky.

I could see MacT trading Hemsky for Stafford and then signing Cleary

Cleary-Gordon-Stafford

for line 3

run with Joensuu-Smyth-Jones on line 4, with Smyth and Lander taking turns at C, maybe another cheap vet like Halpern for some competition

Old
07-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:

There's always a "return" for a player that can help a team offensively, it just mine end up being much worse then first hoped.

I still think the Oilers can move him for a solid bottom-6 forward.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Wouldn't make sense at this point

Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky makes no sense. Is that a checking line? A scoring line?

I think Hemsky will go for a player who is paid too much but less than Hemsky.

I could see MacT trading Hemsky for Stafford and then signing Cleary

Cleary-Gordon-Stafford

for line 3

run with Joensuu-Smyth-Jones on line 4, with Smyth and Lander taking turns at C, maybe another cheap vet like Halpern for some competition
A deal like that would sense for both teams.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
The rumor is that basically the top two divisional teams play the wildcards. So the 1st place division team with the most points plays 8th, and the other 1st place division team plays 7th. Then the other two matchups are in division, so 2nd vs 3rd.

1) CHI vs 8) ANA
1) LA vs 7) EDM
2) SJ vs 3) VAN
2) STL vs 3) MIN

A play in would make sense though, at least in the East, because there are more teams
That would be the same as it used to be, which was what they were going away from.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:10 PM
AK Dandyman

Hemsky is definitely not easy to move. I think if we are willing to eat half his salary, we will be able to move him after the dust has settled. May be a team needs a skill top 6 winger, can't afford $5M but okay with $2.5M.

May be something surround the main pieces being Hemsky to Phx for Vermette. Phoenix can use skill on the wing, they already signed Ribeiro from UFA and has Hanzal as their top 2 lines center. Vermette is expensive for them at $3.75M as a 3rd line center. He'll be a useful 3c for us being very good defensively and on face off, as well as just enough offensive skill to get 45-50 pts if you put him between couple skilled wingers.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:12 PM
vickpeterson

Quote:

1) CHI vs 8) ANA
1) LA vs 7) EDM
2) SJ vs 3) VAN
2) STL vs 3) MIN

No how it would work is like the CFL. If the 5th place team in one division has more points than the 4th place team in the other division (same conference obviously), then the 5th place team crosses over into the other division. EX:

LA 10 pts
SJ 100 pts
Ducks 96 pts
Vancouver 95 pts
-----------------
Edmonton 94 pts
Coyotes 88 pts
Flames 72 pts

Hawks 110 pts
Blues 100 pts
Preds 96 pts
Minny 93 pts
------------
Stars 90 pts
Avs 88 pts
Jets 87 pts

Even though Minny is the 4th seed in their division, the Oilers ( The 5th seed in the other division) have more points than they do, so they cross over into the "Central" division and face the Hawks in the first round. This bodes well for the Oilers next year because they are better than the Preds and Stars, so they could slide into the "Central" division as a wild card

Old
07-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickpeterson View Post
No how it would work is like the CFL. If the 5th place team in one division has more points than the 4th place team in the other division (same conference obviously), then the 5th place team crosses over into the other division. EX:

LA 110 pts
SJ 100 pts
Ducks 96 pts
Vancouver 95 pts
-----------------
Edmonton 94 pts
Coyotes 88 pts
Flames 72 pts

Hawks 110 pts
Blues 100 pts
Preds 96 pts
Minny 93 pts
------------
Stars 90 pts
Avs 88 pts
Jets 87 pts

Even though Minny is the 4th seed in their division, the Oilers ( The 5th seed in the other division) have more points than they do, so they cross over into the "Central" division and face the Hawks in the first round. This bodes well for the Oilers next year because they are better than the Preds and Stars, so they could slide into the "Central" division as a wild card
You just explained my post.

The top 3 teams from each division make it in. Then, the next two best, no matter what division, make it in as wildcards. So, therefore, in this scenario, Edmonton and Vancouver make it. Then, because Edmonton had less points, they play the better of Chicago/LA, depending on who wins the tiebreaker of those two. The worst of Chicago/LA plays Vancouver.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:22 PM
armandh01

I'd try hitting up Colorado for a C. They are lacking RWers.

Hemsky for Stastny straight up JK. Maybe John Mitchell for depth purposes.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:25 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
You just explained my post.

The top 3 teams from each division make it in. Then, the next two best, no matter what division, make it in as wildcards. So, therefore, in this scenario, Edmonton and Vancouver make it. Then, because Edmonton had less points, they play the better of Chicago/LA, depending on who wins the tiebreaker of those two. The worst of Chicago/LA plays Vancouver.
I would think Vancouver plays LA no matter what and Edmonton as the only wildcard moves to the other division to play Chicago regardless of the tiebreaker.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:33 PM
OilerFan4Life

Hemsky for Stafford makes little sense unless you get a 3rd team involved.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Shizuka

I would hope MacT has enough saavy to somehow turn Hemsky into a youngish, tougher 3rd/2nd line LW tweener with enough moxie in his game to ride shotgun with skilled players. Easier said than done, I get it... but I have enough faith in MacT.

I don't get the love-in at all for someone like Stafford; he is a big body but doesn't play that way at all, isn't that the complaint from Buffalo fans? Completely inconsistent, doesn't use his size well...etc. Not really a fit in the category of players the GM wants to bring in, is he.

People keep talking about Clifford but I doubt he gets pried away from Lombardi. Someone had mentioned before, but it didn't get much play -- what about Matt Martin out of the Islanders? Pretty comparable player to Clifford, in fact I'd say he projects along the same path. He plays a hard game, fights, and is about the same size as well; even his stats in junior are a decent comparison with Clifford. Naturally I have no idea if he'd be available but surely for a Hemsky it wouldn't be out of the question for Garth Snow? Anyways just throwing another name out there to consider.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:37 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
hemsky, musil and the 2014 1st for ryan miller - heard it here first, maybe dubnyk going the other way, maybe not.

source - if i told you guys you would laugh at me

anyway

i was using the wifi at starbucks and some old dude on his computer was talking on his cell phone, i heard him say buffalo and hemsky and solid goaltender.......so i peeping tommed his computer to try and see what he was writing down. couldnt make it out so i filled in the blanks.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
hemsky, musil and the 2014 1st for ryan miller - heard it here first
Dude, we totally shored up our G depth with Labarbera and Bachman.

COME ON.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Hopefully for a Kopecky type player.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:43 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Dude, we totally shored up our G depth with Labarbera and Bachman.

COME ON.
lol ryan miller could win more games in one season then those 2 bumclowns could win the rest of their careers

PS i have no idea who this old guy was, he was in a suit so he must be important

Old
07-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
lol ryan miller could win more games in one season then those 2 bumclowns could win the rest of their careers

PS i have no idea who this old guy was, he was in a suit so he must be important
Hint: Did he have a name tag with the name Darcy on it?

Old
07-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

Ohhh you ninja edited!

Old
07-10-2013, 10:52 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
The only thing we can deduce from this information is that Ales Hemsky will be the backup goalie for Buffalo this season.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Oilers4life1987

Ok, now that the Oilers have traded away their only 2nd rounder in 2014 why is everyone so eager to move their 1st. So I guess they'll get a good player in the 3 to 7 round? Honestly people I get it that we all want them to make the playoffs but at what cost. we still need depth in the organisation.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:09 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
hemsky, musil and the 2014 1st for ryan miller - heard it here first, maybe dubnyk going the other way, maybe not.

source - if i told you guys you would laugh at me

anyway

i was using the wifi at starbucks and some old dude on his computer was talking on his cell phone, i heard him say buffalo and hemsky and solid goaltender.......so i peeping tommed his computer to try and see what he was writing down. couldnt make it out so i filled in the blanks.
"So you're saying hem the ski boots, then put the buffalo mozzarella on the pizza, then go to hockey? **** our team doesn't even have a solid goaltender, they need all the help up front they can get!"

Old
07-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Please tell me more about Hemsky's "albatross" contract.
5 mill for a guy who perennially leads the league in minuses and give aways. Only one year but we will be lucky to get a solid third liner out if him.

Also chronically injured and his production has fallen off. He is no longer seen as a top six on a very good team.

Having saidbthat, he is very tradeable if you know his faults and do not expect too much from the trade.

Closed Thread