HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVI: MacT, send more help!

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 07:37 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
Nick Spalling has filed for arbitration. I wouldn't mind him to improve our C depth. They need depth at D. You guys think they'll bite on Nick Schultz?
They need D depth? Um what?

Weber
Jones
Josi
Klein
Ekholm
Ellis
Bartley

their NHL 7 are set.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:41 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
I agree with the sentiment that Smyth needs to go.

I was really hoping he would retire. Guy has always been about the money so it doesn't shock me that he wants to collect that 2.5 million that Tambo gifted him.

If MacT wants to be "bold" he'll waive his washed up hack and send him to OKC....there is no way he's better than our 15th forward at this point. Acton, Hamilton, Joensu, and Brown should all get more run on the 4th line than mullet boy.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:51 AM
AJGass4

vCash: 500
I have and always will be a backer of Smytty. That being said, he is done.

I wish he had the grace to retire but I don't think that will happen. He loves the game and will fight tooth and nail to continue playing but the writing needs to be on the wall.

I don't understand how we justify playing him when he can't keep up.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Oilception

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

I was really hoping he would retire. Guy has always been about the money so it doesn't shock me that he wants to collect that 2.5 million that Tambo gifted him.

If MacT wants to be "bold" he'll waive his washed up hack and send him to OKC....there is no way he's better than our 15th forward at this point. Acton, Hamilton, Joensu, and Brown should all get more run on the 4th line than mullet boy.
Your hate for Smyth is strong
You probably had never heard of joensu till a couple days ago but obviously better than Smyth right?

If used properly on the 4th line he will be fine. I can guarantee the difference between this team being good and bad is not thy 4th line left wing spot. Why your all so concerned is beyond me

And Smyth has not "always been about the money" he had been takin home town discounts to play in edmonton and wanted his due. I remember there were rumours that the islanders offered him an outrages amount of money to stay and he decided to go somewhere else where he thought he had a better chance of winning.

In the decreasing part of his career? Ya. But lets be real

Old
07-11-2013, 08:06 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilception View Post
Your hate for Smyth is strong
You probably had never heard of joensu till a couple days ago but obviously better than Smyth right?
How can you possibly ignore how truly terrible Smyth was last season? Seriouly for basically 2 seasons (when not playing with the elite talent of the kids) Smyth has been useless, and it's not close.

Right now, if you have Smyth on this team as anything more then a part-time 4th-liner, you're team lacks proper depth.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Oilception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
How can you possibly ignore how truly terrible Smyth was last season? Seriouly for basically 2 seasons (when not playing with the elite talent of the kids) Smyth has been useless, and it's not close.

Right now, if you have Smyth on this team as anything more then a part-time 4th-liner, you're team lacks proper depth.
He scored 19 goals two years ago!
And a I agree he should be a 4th line tweener, which is what he is? So what is the problem? I guarantee there are worse options for 4th line. I'm more worries about filling that 3LW than I am about replacing Smyth for the fourth/press box spot.

Also wishing he had the grace to retire? Would you retire if you could still cash in over 2 mill. That's not even money driven that's just smart.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:23 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
A couple of seasons is a very long time. Corey Potter had more goals than him and he just edged out Marty brodeur.

Remember when Cheechoo was an NHL threat?

Old
07-11-2013, 08:26 AM
ruok

A couple things :
1. I think the teams biggest need right now (outside a 1 d man which is not coming) are third line wingers. Mac needs to push hard for Clifford, greening, koepecky, those types. Even if we give up good assets. Hemsky, Gernat Musil, next years first, we need to win now.

2. I think it's way more important than a 4 line center. Look at some of the better teams in the league. Is Colin Fraser really that much better than Lander? I also believe that Mac plans on giving arcobello a real chance while RNH is injured.

Hall - Ganger Eberle
Perron - RNH - Yakupov
Clifford - Gordon - Kopecky
Smyth/Joensu - Lander - Jones

Old
07-11-2013, 08:30 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
With regards to Smyth. I've come to terms with him being on this team.

I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt that the lockout hurt him.

Everything I've seen and heard about MacT and Eakins so far leads me to believe if Smyth isn't able to do anything at the NHL level that it will become a non-issue. Other than of course Katz paying him.

Smyth playing 8-10 minutes a night might have some value to us, and given what we have I really don't have an issue with him coming into Training camp and fighting for his spot. If he's truly lost it then hopefully a gentleman's agreement can be made and Smyth retires.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:33 AM
ruok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilception View Post
Also wishing he had the grace to retire? Would you retire if you could still cash in over 2 mill. That's not even money driven that's just smart.
Not to mention it is a 35 + plus contract no?

Old
07-11-2013, 08:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruok View Post
Not to mention it is a 35 + plus contract no?
I don't think it matters. We aren't in a cap crunch.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

LULZ! A career AHLer, a pair of tweeners and the worst thing on skates in the NHL? I want some of whatever you're smoking.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:56 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A T M A N View Post
Btw thanks to Alzner, McDonagh, Subban, Petry, Del Zotto and Fowler(most comparable IMO) etc. Schultz's second contract won't be as big as you guys think. I think he gets max 4/year if he's lucky and hits 45 points this year. I think it'll be more like 3.85-4 per for 4-5 years.
This is a point I've been making for almost a month now. Josi/Shattenkirk like contracts are the absolute upper end Schultz should be getting on an extension.

McD/Alzner are poor comps because they're more defensive than offensive, and unfairly take smaller cap hits for it. MDZ is the best J Schultz comp I can think of

Old
07-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Well looks like our top 6 is officially the smallest in the NHL now. Sam Gagner looks like the odd man out and should no longer be part of our long term plans. If I'm MacT, I'm looking to swap him for a big 2-way center. Vancouver is apparently considering rebuilding, their timeframe for the cup is slowly but surely closing, and they could seriously use an injection of youth. Would you guys consider:

Sam Gagner+David Musil+2014 1st
for
Ryan Kesler

He's injury prone and a d*******, but he's also a big, physical, 2-way center, exactly what we need. As of the 2013-2014 season, Ryan Kesler is the best player in the deal. In a few years though, the Oilers will likely have given up the higher value. That being said, we've already got our "futures" pieces in place. RNH/Hall/Yak/Eberle up front should have us set for the next 10 years. Nurse/Klefbom/Marincin/Schultz give us a solid foundation on the blueline as well. It's time we moved into the win now phase, and I'm willing to overpay value to a division rival to get it done. Gagner+Horvat+Shinkaruk is a good start for Vancouver up front, and our 2014 1st could net them a solid young player as well. They were able to hold their own last season without Kesler, so it's not like trading Kesler for Gagner is going to cripple their playoff chances or anything.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:54 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
This is a point I've been making for almost a month now. Josi/Shattenkirk like contracts are the absolute upper end Schultz should be getting on an extension.

McD/Alzner are poor comps because they're more defensive than offensive, and unfairly take smaller cap hits for it. MDZ is the best J Schultz comp I can think of
Of course, it all depends on how Schultz plays next year, which is a complete question mark. He was on pace for 47 points if the season was not shortened. None of the comparables that the other poster or yourself have mentioned have put up that production. Especially with his obvious adjustment difficulties to the long season, there's decent potential Schultz puts up 50+ points next year. If that's the case, he's definitely clearing the comparables mentioned and would start getting into the Ekman-Larsson, Karlsson range.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Petro Points

MacT has spoken about building partnerships and trust with other GMs in a couple of his interviews... I think this deal will pave way for bigger ones down the road.
Other GMs now know he isnt just all talk and has the guts to make quality for quality deals.

Also, STL has a few other pieces that would fit in very nicely here..

Old
07-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Well looks like our top 6 is officially the smallest in the NHL now. Sam Gagner looks like the odd man out and should no longer be part of our long term plans. If I'm MacT, I'm looking to swap him for a big 2-way center. Vancouver is apparently considering rebuilding, their timeframe for the cup is slowly but surely closing, and they could seriously use an injection of youth. Would you guys consider:

for
Ryan Kesler

He's injury prone and a d*******, but he's also a big, physical, 2-way center, exactly what we need. As of the 2013-2014 season, Ryan Kesler is the best player in the deal. In a few years though, the Oilers will likely have given up the higher value. That being said, we've already got our "futures" pieces in place. RNH/Hall/Yak/Eberle up front should have us set for the next 10 years. Nurse/Klefbom/Marincin/Schultz give us a solid foundation on the blueline as well. It's time we moved into the win now phase, and I'm willing to overpay value to a division rival to get it done. Gagner+Horvat+Shinkaruk is a good start for Vancouver up front, and our 2014 1st could net them a solid young player as well. They were able to hold their own last season without Kesler, so it's not like trading Kesler for Gagner is going to cripple their playoff chances or anything.
Why not give a Feaster a call too, lol.

Gagner + Hemsky + N. Schultz

for

Glencross + Giordano + Stajan (filler)

Never gonna happen though, but it probably would make some sense for both sides if the Oilers pick up Grabovski.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

I would be up for signing Grabovski and trading Gagner, but I don't think MacT wants Grabo's attitude on this team (not to mention he's not that much bigger or more physical either). As of right now, the only way we're going to get a big 2-way center is through trade, and very few of them out there are available.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:25 AM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I forgot who's idea, but offersheeting Clifford for $3M/yr for 4 years is a good idea. The 2nd means very little when Clifford could bring a lot of what we look for in the top-6.

Kings would have a tough time matching and it would give us a guy who does a lot of what we need.

He's not as proven as we'd like, but atleast we'd be much harder to play against.
We can not offer sheet him we do not have a 2nd rd pick

Old
07-11-2013, 10:31 AM
RisingSun

I hope the Z.Smith deal is not dead yet. (Assuming it was real at any point) We could really use him on our fourth line.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:41 AM
MeestaDeteta

If I was MacT, I would be trying hard to get Clifford. Would be a great 3rd line winger, and could move up to the 2nd line to add some physical presence when required. Not sure if LA would have any interest in moving him, or if they did, what they would want.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Anyone here praying that Zach Bogosian gets like 6 mil+ or something in arbitration and becomes a UFA? Then we can swoop in and sign him for like 5/6 years around 5.5 mil per season.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:43 AM
NeutralZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
I hope the Z.Smith deal is not dead yet. (Assuming it was real at any point) We could really use him on our fourth line.
I don't think that deal ever existed outside of these boards. Makes a lot of sense, but it's never been a rumor. Just something the fans on both sides liked.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:44 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post

for
Ryan Kesler

I realize it's HFB, but this seems like an overpayment to me.

And with respect to Grabovski, do we want guys that are competitive and play hard and occasionally get pissed off? If he is a sulky player that doesn't give a hoot then no thanks, but by all accounts, he generally works his butt off.

If he's getting zero interest (he was talking Caps recently I think), then sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
If I was MacT, I would be trying hard to get Clifford. Would be a great 3rd line winger, and could move up to the 2nd line to add some physical presence when required. Not sure if LA would have any interest in moving him, or if they did, what they would want.
How about Pitlick or Marincin and the 2015 2nd round pick for Clifford?

Closed Thread