HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVI: MacT, send more help!

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 10:56 AM
oiler4ever

vCash: 500
I have seen Hamilton's game. He is a perfect fit for 4th line. Big body who goes to the net and good grinder and scorer. His work ethic and passions reminds me of Shjon Podein.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
How about Pitlick or Marincin and the 2015 2nd round pick for Clifford?
Big difference between these two players. Ones looking like a bust/disappointment, the other one is coming along nicely.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Detroit looks like they have a hole at 2RW, their top 6 forwards are currently Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Weiss/Alfie/Franzen/Bertuzzi, the last who isn't a top 6 forward anymore. They have a logjam in the bottom 6 in Helm/Tatar/Samuelsson/Abdelkader/Tootoo/Eaves/Miller/Emmerton. Plus they need to make room for Nyqvist. I think we could get 2 of their bottom 6 forwards for Hemsky at retained salary. This bumps Bertuzzi to a more appropriate 3rd line role and adds some skill to their second line. We seriously need some proven capable bottom 6 forwards, preferably physical players, aka no Cory Emmertons. If guys like Smyth/Joensuu are getting regular shifts, we are to put it bluntly, going to have a dead weight 4th line. Obviously Darren Helm and Tomas Tatar are pipe dreams and Holland would have to be high to give up players like that for Hemsky. But if we could get 2 of Abdelkader/Tootoo/Eaves for our 3rd line, our bottom 6 would look a lot nicer. Then trade like David Musil or something for a guy like Jordan Nolan.

Abdelkader-Gordon-Eaves
Nolan-Lander-Jones

Old
07-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
I don't think that Smyth is an every day type of player next season. I would imagine that he's had discussions with MacT and Eakins about his role and he would be okay with that if it meant staying in Edmonton for his kids and getting to retire with the one organization he loves.

This is his last year in the NHL, and he knows it.

Now, I'd love MacT to get more 3rd, 4th line depth, but I don't think Hemsky has any value. I'd be interested to see if he deals more potential from the farm for NHL players.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:21 AM
OnTheBrink

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Well looks like our top 6 is officially the smallest in the NHL now. Sam Gagner looks like the odd man out and should no longer be part of our long term plans. If I'm MacT, I'm looking to swap him for a big 2-way center. Vancouver is apparently considering rebuilding, their timeframe for the cup is slowly but surely closing, and they could seriously use an injection of youth. Would you guys consider:

Sam Gagner+David Musil+2014 1st
for
Ryan Kesler

He's injury prone and a d*******, but he's also a big, physical, 2-way center, exactly what we need. As of the 2013-2014 season, Ryan Kesler is the best player in the deal. In a few years though, the Oilers will likely have given up the higher value. That being said, we've already got our "futures" pieces in place. RNH/Hall/Yak/Eberle up front should have us set for the next 10 years. Nurse/Klefbom/Marincin/Schultz give us a solid foundation on the blueline as well. It's time we moved into the win now phase, and I'm willing to overpay value to a division rival to get it done. Gagner+Horvat+Shinkaruk is a good start for Vancouver up front, and our 2014 1st could net them a solid young player as well. They were able to hold their own last season without Kesler, so it's not like trading Kesler for Gagner is going to cripple their playoff chances or anything.
If Oilers are going to try and put a quantity for quality trade may as well go all out..

Gagner + Nurse(would rather this be Maracinin but they would demand Nurse/Klefbom) + 2014 1st Rnd for Kopitar

would never happen but would have best top 6 in league

Hall - RNH - Yak
Perron - Kopitar - Eberle

Old
07-11-2013, 11:41 AM
jsho

For competition for our 4th line Center, what about Dave Steckel? UFA that's a big body, would be cheap and is good on faceoffs. Would give competition as well for Lander for the 4th line. I think he would be much better than Smithson.

It would also be great if we could land Brenden Morrow. But at 34 I'm not sure what type of deal hes looking for. He would bring what we need for the 3rd line but again, depends on the term and if he is even interested going to a non-contender.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:43 AM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I don't think that Smyth is an every day type of player next season. I would imagine that he's had discussions with MacT and Eakins about his role and he would be okay with that if it meant staying in Edmonton for his kids and getting to retire with the one organization he loves.

This is his last year in the NHL, and he knows it.

Now, I'd love MacT to get more 3rd, 4th line depth, but I don't think Hemsky has any value. I'd be interested to see if he deals more potential from the farm for NHL players.
For Smyth to be part of the team he has to be the 13th forward. Its been pretty evident the last few years he cant play in a full season. If he is drawing in every few games that's fine. But even as a full time 4th liner its a waste.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:44 AM
RisingSun
Feels good man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
If Oilers are going to try and put a quantity for quality trade may as well go all out..

Gagner + Nurse(would rather this be Maracinin but they would demand Nurse/Klefbom) + 2014 1st Rnd for Kopitar

would never happen but would have best top 6 in league

Hall - RNH - Yak
Perron - Kopitar - Eberle
Wayyyy too far fetched. Kopitar is a major major player on the Kings. We need realistic upgrades.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:45 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
For competition for our 4th line Center, what about Dave Steckel? UFA that's a big body, would be cheap and is good on faceoffs. Would give competition as well for Lander for the 4th line. I think he would be much better than Smithson.

It would also be great if we could land Brenden Morrow. But at 34 I'm not sure what type of deal hes looking for. He would bring what we need for the 3rd line but again, depends on the term and if he is even interested going to a non-contender.
I'd take Steckel, heck I'd take Smithson back. I just don't want us giving a spot to someone who has very little experience as a 4th line center. If we bring someone in doesn't mean Lander or whoever can't take that spot, just means we have a backup plan and depth.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:45 AM
RisingSun
Feels good man.

How about for starters we try to get Mueller signed for our #3RW position.

Edit: I just realized how offensively bad our third line is. We would be lucky to get 80 points total out of them.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:46 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

I'd rather sign and waive a player because we had too much depth than sign and waive off the season because we had too little.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:48 AM
5 14 6 1
We are the 11.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'd take Steckel, heck I'd take Smithson back. I just don't want us giving a spot to someone who has very little experience as a 4th line center. If we bring someone in doesn't mean Lander or whoever can't take that spot, just means we have a backup plan and depth.
I think at this point resigning Smithson wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:48 AM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
He might bring what is needed on the 3rd line but he might continue his regression and all of a sudden become the new Ryan Smyth, a guy who just can't keep up with the play and contribute in any shape or matter.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Bryanbryoil

Please don't feed the troll, we don't want him throwing up all over us when we hit him in the gut with an infraction.

07-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler4ever View Post
I have seen Hamilton's game. He is a perfect fit for 4th line. Big body who goes to the net and good grinder and scorer. His work ethic and passions reminds me of Shjon Podein.
How is his skating and his physical play?

Old
07-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
He might bring what is needed on the 3rd line but he might continue his regression and all of a sudden become the new Ryan Smyth, a guy who just can't keep up with the play and contribute in any shape or matter.
On a short term deal I dont think it's a problem. Convincing him to come here on a short term deal without a significant overpay might be the problem.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Cerebral

Hamilton is a guy I'd like to see get a shot to compete for a 4th line spot. He has size, he's tenacious, and he's developed some goal scoring ability down in the AHL over the last few years.

He might perpetually be a tweener but with his size and work ethic, I don't see why he can't carve out a role for himself on the fourth line. If he can play 8 minutes a night of defensively solid hockey, get in aggressively on the forecheck and score a goal here or there, what else do we need?

07-11-2013, 12:30 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
From OTTERS 2 OILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
MacT has spoken about building partnerships and trust with other GMs in a couple of his interviews... I think this deal will pave way for bigger ones down the road.
Other GMs now know he isnt just all talk and has the guts to make quality for quality deals.

Also, STL has a few other pieces that would fit in very nicely here..
Tough to see PRV go and Perron is a good player, but would have preferred a deal that centered around Stewart and one of their goalies instead...that said, its not too bad of a deal I guess, I like the way Perron was talking about being excited about coming here, that's encouraging to hear.

Still need another LW though now that we traded one for another (although Perron said he's comfy playing either side, so that's good too). I agree that St Louis has some nice pieces that would fit here though. There are a bunch of other teams that are going to have to shed salary before the season starts too, Mac should be targeting these teams as well (Philly, Boston, etc).

Old
07-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post

Still need another LW though now that we traded one for another (although Perron said he's comfy playing either side, so that's good too). I agree that St Louis has some nice pieces that would fit here though. There are a bunch of other teams that are going to have to shed salary before the season starts too, Mac should be targeting these teams as well (Philly, Boston, etc).
MacTavish said in one of his interviews that he sees Jones as a third line left winger. If so, I see the lineup shaking down like this:

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Perron-RNH-Eberle
Jones-Gordon-XXX
Smyth-Lander-Joensuu
Eager-Brown

I really think people need to stop penciling in Gordon on the fourth line - we're flat out not bringing in another high priced centreman when we gave Gordon $3M. Likewise, MacT has already stated Gordon is the third line centreman and given how many minutes he has played in the past, that seems pretty realistic regardless of how many points he scores.

I'm really not as concerned about our depth as others are. If we can add one more legit third line winger who can play a strong defensive role (ie. Kelly), I'll be happy. I have a feeling Lander will step up this year in a fourth line role and, if not, he'll only be playing 6-8 minutes a night anyway so it's really not that big of a deal. The one name that stands out to me in a negative way is Smyth - I really hope Eager impresses in camp and earns that fourth line spot or Hamilton works his butt off and forces Eakins to pencil him in and bump a guy like Brown.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:42 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Anyone know the status of Bergenheim?

There was that issue with him and FLA with him getting injuried during the lockout. Wonder if he's available?

Seems like the perfect 3LW to replace PRV. And yes I know he's 5'10.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Detroit looks like they have a hole at 2RW, their top 6 forwards are currently Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Weiss/Alfie/Franzen/Bertuzzi, the last who isn't a top 6 forward anymore. They have a logjam in the bottom 6 in Helm/Tatar/Samuelsson/Abdelkader/Tootoo/Eaves/Miller/Emmerton. Plus they need to make room for Nyqvist. I think we could get 2 of their bottom 6 forwards for Hemsky at retained salary. This bumps Bertuzzi to a more appropriate 3rd line role and adds some skill to their second line. We seriously need some proven capable bottom 6 forwards, preferably physical players, aka no Cory Emmertons. If guys like Smyth/Joensuu are getting regular shifts, we are to put it bluntly, going to have a dead weight 4th line. Obviously Darren Helm and Tomas Tatar are pipe dreams and Holland would have to be high to give up players like that for Hemsky. But if we could get 2 of Abdelkader/Tootoo/Eaves for our 3rd line, our bottom 6 would look a lot nicer. Then trade like David Musil or something for a guy like Jordan Nolan.

Abdelkader-Gordon-Eaves
Nolan-Lander-Jones
No matter what any other team, their own fans, etc, think... Abdelkader is in their top six. Tatar and Nyquist will roll with Andersson on their third line and grinders galore on their fourth. They have no need or room for Hemsky. The Oilers can however pick up a guy like Emmerton or Eaves at a pretty minimal price.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Jagr needs to hurry up and sign to put some pressure on GM's who need a #2 RW, like the one we have for sale.

Hemsky goes, Mueller comes ?

Third line of
Jones - Gordon - Mueller could definitely score and play defensive hockey

Old
07-11-2013, 12:46 PM
jeetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
How about for starters we try to get Mueller signed for our #3RW position.

Edit: I just realized how offensively bad our third line is. We would be lucky to get 80 points total out of them.
With Gordon and Jones 2/3 of our 3rd line, and no size in the top 6, we are disparate for a heavy hitter with hands.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
MacTavish said in one of his interviews that he sees Jones as a third line left winger. If so, I see the lineup shaking down like this:

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Perron-RNH-Eberle
Jones-Gordon-XXX
Smyth-Lander-Joensuu
Eager-Brown

I really think people need to stop penciling in Gordon on the fourth line - we're flat out not bringing in another high priced centreman when we gave Gordon $3M. Likewise, MacT has already stated Gordon is the third line centreman and given how many minutes he has played in the past, that seems pretty realistic regardless of how many points he scores.

I'm really not as concerned about our depth as others are. If we can add one more legit third line winger who can play a strong defensive role (ie. Kelly), I'll be happy. I have a feeling Lander will step up this year in a fourth line role and, if not, he'll only be playing 6-8 minutes a night anyway so it's really not that big of a deal. The one name that stands out to me in a negative way is Smyth - I really hope Eager impresses in camp and earns that fourth line spot or Hamilton works his butt off and forces Eakins to pencil him in and bump a guy like Brown.
Every line combos I see put up no matter what it is gets ruined for me when I see Smyth on it.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:48 PM
RisingSun
Feels good man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Jagr needs to hurry up and sign to put some pressure on GM's who need a #2 RW, like the one we have for sale.

Hemsky goes, Mueller comes ?

Third line of
Jones - Gordon - Mueller could definitely score and play defensive hockey
I could see Mueller replicating his 07-08 season here. A little far fetched but with some good wingers, it's possible.

Closed Thread