HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The Milan Hejduk appreciation thread

Old
07-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Congo Jack
Please Understand

vCash: 500
The Milan Hejduk appreciation thread

With the recent news that Milan won't be back in burgundy and blue, I believe we need a thread to honor, thank and congratulate him on his tremendous career with the Avs.
We'll all miss you Duke.

Article stating that he won't re-sign with the Avs:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Congo Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Teuras
Registered offender

vCash: 50
Over a thousand games played with the Avs, top scorer in his prime, important piece of the franchise for several years. His hard work and loyalty to the club will never be forgotten. Good luck, Duke! Let's hope you find a team and come back to Avs when you retire!

Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:08 PM
GamingGiant

I hope that after he is done playing he retires as a member of the Avalanche. He should have his number in the rafters when all is said and done.

1020 games played with 375 goals and 430 assists (all with Colorado), Stanley Cup champion, Olympic gold medal winner, Rocket Richard award winner, etc.

On another note, he had one of the nastiest toe drags in the NHL.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:11 PM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

vCash: 150
Long live the Duke!

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:21 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

1020 games played and not one single fight. The guy has no heart and no truculence.

Seriously though, he was about as fine a player as you could ask for and did everything professionally. He took home-town discount after home-town discount to remain an AV. I really feel bad that he still feels he has something left in the tank and the AVs don't have have him in their plans. What a rotten situation.

I'm not sure he's going to find a regular shift on any teams top 2 lines but I've always thought he'd be magic on the power-play being setup by Crosby. There were times over the last eight years where I secretly wished him to be traded so he could chase another Cup with the Penguins because the AVs were sucking, he was aging and Crosby was making payday after payday for wingers who weren't as good.

He's just always struck me as a great guy off the ice too. I just wish him all the best and am thankful for all the wonderful memories he's given me as a fan.

On an aside...I'm also glad he's learned to keep the speeding in check...do y'all remember how he got busted for driving 100+ MPH in a 65 MPH zone? I remember reading that he got lectured by the team, his attorney and his girlfriend over the whole thing. I believe he made a comment about how he was going to have her drive him around for a while to minimize his time behind the wheel.
Just looked up an article about it: Apologetic Hedjuk skates away from reckless driving charge
While Mulvahill also said Hejduk expressed remorse, he told the judge that in the Czech Republic, where Hejduk is from, police don't enforce the speed limits as strictly as they do in America.
Gold...

And while I'm at it...How does his resume stack up for the HHOF?
1020 games played
375 goals
430 assists
805 points
316 PIMs (That's awfully low...Scott Parker had more than that in one season with the Kelowna Rockets)
All-Rookie Team (98-99)
3 1st Team All Star Games (99-00, 00-01 and 08-09)
1 Stanley Cup (00-01)
1 Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy via Forsberg (02-03)
1 Bud Light Plus/Minus Winner (02-03)
1 2nd Team All Star Game (02-03 how the heck does the Rocket award winner not even make 1st team All-Star? ****ing east coast bias)
1 Olympic Gold Medal (1998)
1 Olympic Bronze Medal (2006)
1 WC Bronze Medal (1998)

Ultimately I think he's on the outside looking in. If he'd played all these years in New York or Toronto...it might be different. There are worse players in the hall but I don't think he's going to get in and that's a shame. I understand the HHOF tries to make it a very exclusive club but I'm not sure they do things right. How the heck is Pat Burns not in?

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:50 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
1020 games played and not one single fight. The guy has no heart and no truculence.

Seriously though, he was about as fine a player as you could ask for and did everything professionally. He took home-town discount after home-town discount to remain an AV. I really feel bad that he still feels he has something left in the tank and the AVs don't have have him in their plans. What a rotten situation.

I'm not sure he's going to find a regular shift on any teams top 2 lines but I've always thought he'd be magic on the power-play being setup by Crosby. There were times over the last eight years where I secretly wished him to be traded so he could chase another Cup with the Penguins because the AVs were sucking, he was aging and Crosby was making payday after payday for wingers who weren't as good.

He's just always struck me as a great guy off the ice too. I just wish him all the best and am thankful for all the wonderful memories he's given me as a fan.

On an aside...I'm also glad he's learned to keep the speeding in check...do y'all remember how he got busted for driving 100+ MPH in a 65 MPH zone? I remember reading that he got lectured by the team, his attorney and his girlfriend over the whole thing. I believe he made a comment about how he was going to have her drive him around for a while to minimize his time behind the wheel.
Just looked up an article about it: Apologetic Hedjuk skates away from reckless driving charge
While Mulvahill also said Hejduk expressed remorse, he told the judge that in the Czech Republic, where Hejduk is from, police don't enforce the speed limits as strictly as they do in America.
Gold...

And while I'm at it...How does his resume stack up for the HHOF?
1020 games played
375 goals
430 assists
805 points
316 PIMs (That's awfully low...Scott Parker had more than that in one season with the Kelowna Rockets)
All-Rookie Team (98-99)
3 1st Team All Star Games (99-00, 00-01 and 08-09)
1 Stanley Cup (00-01)
1 Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy via Forsberg (02-03)
1 Bud Light Plus/Minus Winner (02-03)
1 2nd Team All Star Game (02-03 how the heck does the Rocket award winner not even make 1st team All-Star? ****ing east coast bias)
1 Olympic Gold Medal (1998)
1 Olympic Bronze Medal (2006)
1 WC Bronze Medal (1998)

Ultimately I think he's on the outside looking in. If he'd played all these years in New York or Toronto...it might be different. There are worse players in the hall but I don't think he's going to get in and that's a shame. I understand the HHOF tries to make it a very exclusive club but I'm not sure they do things right. How the heck is Pat Burns not in?
Hejduk deserves to have his number up in our rafters but he isn't hockey HOF material.

It sucks that he doesn't really have a spot on our team anymore and it will be really difficult to see him in another jersey, but I wish him luck where ever he goes. He will deservedly get his day at Pepsi Center after he retires to watch his number go up next to Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, Bourque and Foote.

chet1926 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Hejduk and Forsberg were so fun to watch together.

Best of luck to him.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:10 AM
PeterTheGreat

Very sad but its for the best.

Best of luck Milan. I hope he goes to Pittsburgh and gets to play with Sid/Geno.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

I can't believe it and it breaks my heart.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:22 AM
viach

Good luck Milan and just Thank you

viach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:37 AM
AvsWraith

Will really miss the Duke...

Still remember watching his first game with the Avs like it was yesterday. The shot, the ability to take a huge hit and get back up like it was nothing, the AMP line, ect. Hope to see #23 in the rafters as soon as possible.

Was a true pleasure to get to see him play for us. Thank you for everything, Duke.

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:39 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
he was a bad mother****er in his prime. i appreciate all he gave to the Avs over the year. i especially love the duck celebration.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:39 AM
Freudian
calmer than you are

It won't affect how he's viewed here. If he wants to play another year, he should do so. Once that's over, he'll be back to have his number retired.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:48 AM
PAZ

I'm fine wherever he goes, even if it's Detroit (although I doubt he signs there). He wants to play, but there's no spot for him on the Avs anymore. If we were just going into a rebuild like the Flames, then i'd be a bit more upset. But we're trying to make the next step.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:23 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Very sad. I wish he played his last season with Avalanche.

Thank you for everything Hejduk! You are the best!

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:56 AM
El_Loco_Avs

I guess with Roy and Sakic back and Tanguay actually playing we still have our link to the glory days. So Hejduk wasn't the last remnant of that.

Duke kicked ass with Forsberg. I'll miss him.

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Commander Enigma

He's a guy I'd hoped would only ever where an Avs jersey in the NHL. It'll be strange seeing him elsewhere if he gets a contract. If he does, best of luck to him and I hope he rebounds and proves he's got something left.

For a guy who always took hometown discounts to stay with this team, it's tough to see Sakic and Roy be the guys to finally say "Sorry, we don't have room for you even if you play with us for cheap". But that's life. As a fan of his it hasn't been great watching him play as a shell of his former self.

Also, if he does sign elsewhere and returns to the Pepsi Center as a visiting player, I hope there's a big crowd and a rousing ovation for him. He deserves it, it's just a question if enough of Avs fan base is savvy enough to give it to him. He's never been as popular as the huge superstars that have played on this team, but Hejduk doesn't deserve any less than what they would get.

Last edited by Commander Enigma: 07-09-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:05 AM
niwotsblessing

I was at the Pepsi Center when Duke got his 50th goal, too long ago now. The energy and noise of that ovation built up over about a minute as it became clear that Duke got the goal, and became a crescendo of sound and appreciation, a moment I'll never forget.

Thanks Duke!!

niwotsblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Hesher
Church of MacKinnon

vCash: 4968
Thanks for everything Milan! My favorite Czech player by far.

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:58 PM
The Kingslayer

I made this waaaay back when

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

My favorite player of all-time.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:47 PM
BusterBluth

I felt more of a loss when Roy/Forsberg/Sakic retired.

For Milan, I don't feel that emptiness, and I think its due to how his last few seasons have gone. That's obviously partly due to Sacco.

But I guess at the same time, I'll always remember that Hejduk was always a player who did what was best for the team. He never held out for contracts he could have gotten elsewhere and instead often signed for less than what was fair.

And damn, was he consistent. I was really hoping he would break Sakic's team record for consecutive 20 goal seasons...

I wish you all the best Hejduk. I hope you get one last cup, and I'll be rooting for you wherever you sign. (I would kind of like to see what he can do on the Wings, but of course, I doubt that would happen)

BusterBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
I made this waaaay back when
Nice

Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote