HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Mitch Moroz - Redeemed?

Old
05-27-2014, 12:22 PM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Mitch Moroz - Redeemed?

The Moroz pick was ripped by plenty of Oiler fans and the larger hockey community at the time. Now, Moroz as 35 goal WHL season, and a 19 point ( in 21 games) playoff performance. He was also a member of one of the best lines in the Mem cup finals game.

What do people think of the pick now? Where do you see him ending up?

I think he has become a more legit prospect in my eyes. Not a potential top 6 PWF, but as a decent third line guy who can chip in ~25 points a season while providing energy and physicality.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 12:25 PM
thalegion

I refuse to put a limitation on someone with his apparent drive. Kid's got heart for days

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 12:28 PM
dnicks17

I still don't know why people thought it was a bad pick.

A) It was a horrendous 2nd round.
B) They really wanted him and he wasn't going to make it to the 3rd round.
C) He's exactly the type of player the Oilers need.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 01:35 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
I wouldn't call him a super prospect but he's a guy that has the potential to amount to something if he's allowed to develop properly. He needs to spend about 3 years in OKC building confidence and learning how to be a pro. If he ends up getting rushed because the Oilers don't give themselves better NHL roster options then he probably falls short like a lot of our other prospects have.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
The Moroz pick was ripped by plenty of Oiler fans and the larger hockey community at the time. Now, Moroz as 35 goal WHL season, and a 19 point ( in 21 games) playoff performance. He was also a member of one of the best lines in the Mem cup finals game.

I think he has become a more legit prospect in my eyes. Not a potential top 6 PWF, but as a decent third line guy who can chip in ~25 points a season while providing energy and physicality.
I'm too lazy to go look for his draft thread, but I do remember the pick being judged as awful. People didn't hate him, but thought he should have been drafted in lower rounds.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 01:58 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
I wouldn't call him a super prospect but he's a guy that has the potential to amount to something if he's allowed to develop properly. He needs to spend about 3 years in OKC building confidence and learning how to be a pro. If he ends up getting rushed because the Oilers don't give themselves better NHL roster options then he probably falls short like a lot of our other prospects have.
TOTALLY agree.

Our pain at the NHL level is making fans, management and coaches impatient. [ASIDE: I think that's a huge reason why we all hate Eakins. He came in expecting to teach a responsible, pro game to these guys... set expectations for professionalism and compete and was dealt 2/3 of a hand. A, Q, 10 of hearts... expected to make a royal flush. ]

I long for the days when we had the depth to mature a Pisani in the AHL until he was 24/25 years old. Say what you will about that 2006 team, but that was YEARS in the making and only enabled by having decent (we all called them mediocre at the time) players at the NHL that allowed Stoll, Pisani, and even Horc etc to mature more slowly.

bucks_oil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
It's a good lesson for some on why one shouldn't be writing off any prospects at the age of 19.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
Hey I was happy with the pick. He's big, drives the net, and he's nasty. We don't have enough of these guys on the Oilers

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
It's a good lesson for some on why one shouldn't be writing off any prospects at the age of 19.
To be fair, very few prospects go from showing absolutely nothing offensively to all of a sudden scoring nearly PPG and 35 goals.

If anything it shows how careful you have to be drafting Oil Kings. They have an incredibly deep team so sometimes good players don't get the ice time they would on other teams and as a result their stats suffer for it.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Ringo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
TOTALLY agree.

Our pain at the NHL level is making fans, management and coaches impatient. [ASIDE: I think that's a huge reason why we all hate Eakins. He came in expecting to teach a responsible, pro game to these guys... set expectations for professionalism and compete and was dealt 2/3 of a hand. A, Q, 10 of hearts... expected to make a royal flush. ]

I long for the days when we had the depth to mature a Pisani in the AHL until he was 24/25 years old. Say what you will about that 2006 team, but that was YEARS in the making and only enabled by having decent (we all called them mediocre at the time) players at the NHL that allowed Stoll, Pisani, and even Horc etc to mature more slowly.
I don't mean to sound condescending, but which prospects have the Oilers rushed? If you are referring to Hall, RNH, Yak, then I guess I see your point. I feel we have been very patient with the rest of our prospects.

Ringo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 02:49 PM
Aerchon

I rarely know anything of value about any prospect out of the top 10.

I thought it was a bad pick based on his predraft ranking but that's it. Defiantly a reach where he was taken but all prospects are a significant gamble past the first round.

He seems to be tracking well and really there is nothing to say he couldn't end up being a top 9 forward as unlikely as it may be. Stranger things have happened.

Even for his draft ranking I personally would be very happy if he just managed to be a solid bottom 6 forward.

Just great if he actually becomes a legit NHL player period.

Redeemed? No. Tracking well, yes.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 02:51 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
To be fair, very few prospects go from showing absolutely nothing offensively to all of a sudden scoring nearly PPG and 35 goals.

If anything it shows how careful you have to be drafting Oil Kings. They have an incredibly deep team so sometimes good players don't get the ice time they would on other teams and as a result their stats suffer for it.
Hopefully this is the case with Platzer as well. He put up pretty good points with his new team and more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo13 View Post
I don't mean to sound condescending, but which prospects have the Oilers rushed? If you are referring to Hall, RNH, Yak, then I guess I see your point. I feel we have been very patient with the rest of our prospects.
Lander should have spent a season in the AHL, and should have been sent to the AHL instead of playing in the NHL

MPS to a degree. Should have been sent down when struggling.

Pitlick should have spent another year in the CHL. But lack of progress likely due to injury

Old
05-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I still don't know why people thought it was a bad pick.

A) It was a horrendous 2nd round.
B) They really wanted him and he wasn't going to make it to the 3rd round.
C) He's exactly the type of player the Oilers need.
/thread

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 03:32 PM
backhandsauce

Could he become a Lucic type?

Lucic 6'4 220 lbs, Moroz 6'3 214 lbs.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 03:42 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsauce View Post
Could he become a Lucic type?

Lucic 6'4 220 lbs, Moroz 6'3 214 lbs.
Probaly more of a Clifford type. Similar junior numbers, styles

eh maybe Lucic (Lucic only scored 30 in junior). But if that ever happened I would go buy a lotto ticket the next day. I guess well have to wait and see

Old
05-27-2014, 03:52 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

has he played a game of pro yet? no--prospects/projects are that till they hit the show

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 04:07 PM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1234
If they moved down in the 2nd round to take him, i'd bet the majority of fans here would love the pick.. most of us just dont see it as a good value pick at that spot. he's had a good season which helps him but he's 20, he's supposed to dominate due to his size and experience. I'll wait til next year and see how he does in the pros.. he's got determination and a big heart thats for sure. impossible not to cheer for him and I hope he does well

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1214631

That's the thread

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 05:03 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
The handful of people that hated the pick and wanted Dalton Thrower instead is pretty funny in hindsight considering it looks like Thrower is going to go unsigned and re-enter the draft.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 05:14 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
TOTALLY agree.

which is why you could easily argue that the mess we are in now, could be caused by the fact we did not have an ahl development team for years. the time we could have been developing the strong role playing vets that we need now we spent sharing hamilton or some other BS team that was out of our control.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 05:19 PM
shogun99

I wanted them to draft Galchenyuk...... oh, wrong thread...

I remember everyone wanted Thrower but Moroz was the type of player we needed. Can't wait to see the draft thread when we draft Draisatl over Reinhart/Bennett.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 05:24 PM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1234
For the record, I wanted Severson but at the same time, he wouldve been a reach as well

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 05:25 PM
dyzfunctioned

Hated the Moroz pick - wanted Finn.

Good to see Moroz make some progress but 35 goals as a 19 year old in the WHL doesn't exactly convince me he's going to be a good player. Gives some hope anyway though.

dyzfunctioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
That thread is an absolute riot.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 06:00 PM
MoneyGuy

I thought it was a decent pick at the time and it's looking better now. I would have preferred one of two things: If Samuelsson had been available I wanted him but he went just before our pick was up, or maybe trade down later into the second round as I think Moroz would have been available 20 picks later.

On another note, I have an associate with the name Moroz who desperately wants this kid to make the team so he can get a jersey with the name on the back.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote