HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OKC Barons 2013/14

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Oilers10

vCash: 500
From what I've noticed of Todd Nelson, it usually takes him the first part of the season to get everyone into their proper roles as there is so much turnover being an AHL affiliate of an NHL team. Once the roster is more stable the team turns around and begins to play well (the sign of a good coach).

Schultz won Defenseman of the year, Ebs was leading league scoring by a country mile and Hall had the best PPG. Nuge was up there in scoring for a long while before he got hurt.

I would be freaking pissed too if I was Todd Nelson he deserved to be the head coach. As Nelson says his record speaks for itself. Why we hired a coach with similar or less credentials than Nelson is beyond me.

He deserves a shot with a better organization like Hemsky did.

Old
03-11-2014, 02:28 PM
LTIR

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers10 View Post
From what I've noticed of Todd Nelson, it usually takes him the first part of the season to get everyone into their proper roles as there is so much turnover being an AHL affiliate of an NHL team. Once the roster is more stable the team turns around and begins to play well (the sign of a good coach).

Schultz won Defenseman of the year, Ebs was leading league scoring by a country mile and Hall had the best PPG. Nuge was up there in scoring for a long while before he got hurt.

I would be freaking pissed too if I was Todd Nelson he deserved to be the head coach. As Nelson says his record speaks for itself. Why we hired a coach with similar or less credentials than Nelson is beyond me.

He deserves a shot with a better organization like Hemsky did.
Eakins looked and sounded a lot more competent than Nelson.. He also had better results. I was glad we finally went outside the comfort zone and hired someone based on merit. Too bad it didnt do us any good but was worth a try.
He dereves a shot sure but I dont think Nelson is up there in any organizations list for a head coach position right now. There are a few decent other options available..

Would be nice if he agreed to be an assistant here on the big club next year though.

Old
03-11-2014, 05:07 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Eakins looked and sounded a lot more competent than Nelson.. He also had better results. I was glad we finally went outside the comfort zone and hired someone based on merit. Too bad it didnt do us any good but was worth a try.
He dereves a shot sure but I dont think Nelson is up there in any organizations list for a head coach position right now. There are a few decent other options available..

Would be nice if he agreed to be an assistant here on the big club next year though.
Pretty much bang on. Eakins and Nelson were two great AHL coaches. Eakins had success with his team and also developing Kadri. Nelson had team success as well.

Toronto fans were pissed when he didn't replace Carlyle, and Vancouver fans all voted for him in a preseason coach poll (before he was signed)

At that point, it was a coin flip. Even now, Im skeptical of bringing in an AHL coach

Old
03-11-2014, 05:35 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Pretty much bang on. Eakins and Nelson were two great AHL coaches. Eakins had success with his team and also developing Kadri. Nelson had team success as well.

Toronto fans were pissed when he didn't replace Carlyle, and Vancouver fans all voted for him in a preseason coach poll (before he was signed)

At that point, it was a coin flip. Even now, Im skeptical of bringing in an AHL coach
That's just it. I don't know that bringing Nelson in now would do anything either. This teams needs some stable structure at this point or one of the best proven NHL coaches out there. Hiring yet another inexperienced guy seems like wheels on the bus going round and round and round and round.

Old
03-12-2014, 12:17 AM
dem

Arcobello with another 2 points. 26points in 13 games. Seriously.

Lander with 1g 2a
Pitlick with a goal

Barons win 5-2

Old
03-12-2014, 12:34 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

Lander with 1g 2a
Pitlick with a goal

Barons win 5-2
Hes like the Crosby of the AHL. Those are insane numbers.

Lander is putting up great numbers. He is 1 point behind Strome for 17th in league scoring. His playing at a 1.12 ppg pace. If he had played the full 55 game season (not played in the NHL) hed have 61 points, which is top 5 in the entire league

Pitlick, Lander and Arcobello seem to be emerging from the dust in OKC. To have 3 solid forward prospects, even if they have limited ceilings, is huge as it prevents us from overpaying for bottom sixers or trading picks for grinders

Last edited by topchowda: 03-12-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old
03-12-2014, 12:57 AM
topchowda

Player X- undrafted 5'08
4th pro season:
NHL: 58 games, 18 points
AHL: 17 games, 26 points

Arcobello- undrafted 5'09
4th pro season
NHL: 41 games 18 points
AHL: 13 games 26 points

Player X was no other than Mr. Martin St. Louis

Where the comparison gets depressing it that it is after this season MSL got traded to Tampa. And Arcobello looks to have no shot in the top six of the Oilers if Oilers keep Eberle or use Gagner/2014 top pick as their 2c

Old
03-12-2014, 03:12 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

He's definitely playing like a man possessed.

Old
03-12-2014, 05:02 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Hes like the Crosby of the AHL. Those are insane numbers.

Lander is putting up great numbers. He is 1 point behind Strome for 17th in league scoring. His playing at a 1.12 ppg pace. If he had played the full 55 game season (not played in the NHL) hed have 61 points, which is top 5 in the entire league

Pitlick, Lander and Arcobello seem to be emerging from the dust in OKC. To have 3 solid forward prospects, even if they have limited ceilings, is huge as it prevents us from overpaying for bottom sixers or trading picks for grinders
2014 stats
OKC 27 GP 18 W 7 L 2 OT

Arcobello 2.00 PPG (13 GP)
Lander 1.34 PPG (25 GP)
Horak 1.00 PPG (27 GP)
Pitlick 0.67 PPG (21 GP)

2013 stats
OKC 34 GP 11 W 17 L 6 OT

Arcobello (0 GP)
Lander 0.78 PPG (18 GP)
Horak 0.61 PPG (18 GP)
Pitlick 0.4 PPG (15 GP)

Old
03-12-2014, 09:51 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

Lander with 1g 2a
Pitlick with a goal

Barons win 5-2
I'll say it again. Arcobello is the new Marty St. Louis and I hope the Oilers recognize that before some other team.

Old
03-12-2014, 11:10 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
2014 stats
OKC 27 GP 18 W 7 L 2 OT

Arcobello 2.00 PPG (13 GP)
Lander 1.34 PPG (25 GP)
Horak 1.00 PPG (27 GP)
Pitlick 0.67 PPG (21 GP)

2013 stats
OKC 34 GP 11 W 17 L 6 OT

Arcobello (0 GP)
Lander 0.78 PPG (18 GP)
Horak 0.61 PPG (18 GP)
Pitlick 0.4 PPG (15 GP)
All good depth prospects. Plus having guys like Chase, Moroz, Khaira, Roy, Yakimov playing well in junior. Hopefully we an pull 3 solid bottom 6 players from this group, and maybe even a quality top 6 player

Old
03-12-2014, 12:16 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
I'll say it again. Arcobello is the new Marty St. Louis and I hope the Oilers recognize that before some other team.
I said this in another post, trade Yak and Gagner whatever for a bigger top pairing center and you run him with Arco and Hall on the wings and you have a fantastic top line

Old
03-13-2014, 01:13 AM
rickyrunfar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
I was thinking this for a while now, but I don't think this team has the brains to give him the keys to the Pontiac.

Old
03-13-2014, 09:04 PM
BleedingOil

Thats a major stretch. I'm a huge Arcobello fan and I was one of the very few who had him capable replacing Gagner at the start of the year but besides there size they really are not comparable.

Old
03-15-2014, 12:53 AM
LTIR

vCash: 300
OKC lost 3-2

but Arco scored a goal.

Looks like PP let them down... 0/5 including one late in 3rd.

Old
03-15-2014, 02:41 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
OKC lost 3-2

but Arco scored a goal.

Looks like PP let them down... 0/5 including one late in 3rd.
Whereas Grand Rapids scored 2 on the PP.

Hopefully they can bounce back tonight. If they can get a split this weekend against Grand Rapids who are tops in the conference that's pretty decent. Next weekend is pretty much the same story when they head to Texas.

Old
03-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
Another big comeback win for the Barons

Brandon Davidson with the OT winner
He just makes plays. He will play in the league as long as he doesn't get derailed again.

Old
03-16-2014, 03:11 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
And the team got better once they left the Barons too....

Probably cause they were giving the same kind of commitment in the AHL as they are giving in the NHL nowadays......much easier to get a kid to buy in when they are trying to make the NHL then one that is already making millions
It's one thing Eakins is struggling to adjust to.

As for Nelson, winning isn't everything at the AHL level. He has to take some responsibility for not developing guys over the last few. If there is an AHL coach who deserves an NHL job well before him it's Blashill in Grand Rapids. He is by far more deserving of an NHL job. Especially for a team like the Oilers.

Old
03-16-2014, 12:28 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
It's one thing Eakins is struggling to adjust to.

As for Nelson, winning isn't everything at the AHL level. He has to take some responsibility for not developing guys over the last few. If there is an AHL coach who deserves an NHL job well before him it's Blashill in Grand Rapids. He is by far more deserving of an NHL job. Especially for a team like the Oilers.
I understand the want for Nelson to move up however I would want to keep him on the Barons as long as possible. He is doing good things for the org in his role and promoting him or moving him opens room for a worse guy to fill that spot

Old
03-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
I understand the want for Nelson to move up however I would want to keep him on the Barons as long as possible. He is doing good things for the org in his role and promoting him or moving him opens room for a worse guy to fill that spot
But I think we really need to ask ourselves, is he really developing guys? In his defense, he hasn't been given much but we have pretty good data on him now and we're not seeing much in results.

As Lander just scores. Lol

Old
03-16-2014, 07:22 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
But I think we really need to ask ourselves, is he really developing guys? In his defense, he hasn't been given much but we have pretty good data on him now and we're not seeing much in results.

As Lander just scores. Lol
All his call ups look fantastic.
Gernat was a 5th round pick and is playing in his top pairing right now.
Look at how good Marincin and Petry have been for the Oilers.
Nelson is doing something right.

Old
03-16-2014, 08:07 PM
topchowda

Roman Horak has 29 points in 29 games to start of 2014, including 23 in last 18

Pitlick has 16 in his last 23

Both guys could be on the Oilers next year as solid bottom 6 guys

Maybe something along the lines of:

Hendricks-Gordon-Lander
Horak-XXX-Pitlick

Ideally itd be:

Kulemin-Gordon-Lander
Horak-Hendricks-Pitlick

Old
03-18-2014, 04:30 PM
LaGu

Back to back losses to GR (2nd in WC) this past weekend, back to back games against Stars (1st in WC) coming up. Despite an amazing record in Feb/Mar OKC still have a couple of points up to a playoff position.

I know what the purpose of the OKC and I think it is very important for Lander (and Klefbom, but to a much lesser extent) to get some ice time in Edmonton but still... Oklahoma is in a very important period right now (as acknowledged by Lander in his interview with ST last week) and they need their players, certainly they could use their Captain.

I guess I think they should be sent back for the benefit of Oklahoma... Is my reasoning off on this one?

Old
03-18-2014, 04:34 PM
doulos

Quote:
Back to back losses to GR (2nd in WC) this past weekend, back to back games against Stars (1st in WC) coming up. Despite an amazing record in Feb/Mar OKC still have a couple of points up to a playoff position.

I know what the purpose of the OKC and I think it is very important for Lander (and Klefbom, but to a much lesser extent) to get some ice time in Edmonton but still... Oklahoma is in a very important period right now (as acknowledged by Lander in his interview with ST last week) and they need their players, certainly they could use their Captain.

I guess I think they should be sent back for the benefit of Oklahoma... Is my reasoning off on this one?
Would love to see the Barons do well, but they are always secondary to the Oilers and they need to see what they have in Lander at the NHL level moving forward.

Old
03-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Digger12

Quote:

With Klefbom I could maybe see your point of view, but with Lander it really is important that he get put through the paces here. He's come to a critical juncture contract-wise with the Oilers, they need to see what he can bring at the NHL level right now. They need to find out if he's worth spending a 1 way contract on, because they know he's got lots of oversea options if he's decided to not accept another two way deal.

Closed Thread