HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OKC Barons 2013/14

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2014, 12:31 AM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Results are what I'm interested in.
Agreed, don't know why some cockiness, takes away from his excellent play.

At least half of the players in the NHL are that way.

Old
04-03-2014, 01:03 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
Agreed, don't know why some cockiness, takes away from his excellent play.

At least half of the players in the NHL are that way.
Never met the kid, so I have no idea about his attitude. But if a player isn't committed to getting better, they will never make it. If a guy is complacent with ripping up junior and his head gets too big (Schremp), its something to watch out for.

I have no problem with a bit of cockiness, as long as he puts in the work. Subban, Yakupov, Ovy etc can all have swagger if theyd like. All are intense about training.

But like I said, first time I have ever heard about this. Havent seen any negative things about his attitude anywhere in any report

Old
04-03-2014, 02:20 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

There have been some gigantic *******s that have had long, successful NHL careers (I could name many and I'm sure others could as well).

I don't think a guy has to be a locker room favourite and the nicest of guys to be successful... it's certainly a bonus if a player is like that... but certainly not a necessity.

Old
04-03-2014, 02:32 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
For now, he's in the minors. Next year, he'll probably be back in the WHL.

Maybe the AHL will expose his dirty boxers, but I'm sure he's just feeding on adrenaline right now.

There's a lot of time between here and his NHL debut, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Maybe you can get away with a lot in the WHL, but pro will be tougher, and the expectations are very different. I hope he can bring a more positive attitude as a pro.

Old
04-03-2014, 03:03 AM
Arpeggio

David Perron was reportedly a complete ***** in junior too, guys grow up. I'm pretty excited about Chase, seems like exactly the kind of player the Oilers need, and he seems to have the potential to provide some offence.

Old
04-03-2014, 09:35 AM
bewbies

Big win last night...2 points out of a playoff spot with 7 games to go.

This is all secondhand, but:

Andrew Miller and Greg Miller both were huge. Brad Hunt was his typically excellent self. Khaira and Combs were pretty bad. Joey Leach is really awful, would really like someone to...replace him on defense. Eager was uniquely bad.

Old
04-03-2014, 09:35 AM
glassbangers
#FireEakins

vCash: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
David Perron was reportedly a complete ***** in junior too, guys grow up. I'm pretty excited about Chase, seems like exactly the kind of player the Oilers need, and he seems to have the potential to provide some offence.
So was Corey Perry. Apparently he was bullying smaller boys in school etc and he's a major **** outside of the rink, too.

Old
04-03-2014, 11:20 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Michael Jordan was an ******* who was probably sociopathic.

Nobody cares.

Old
04-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Neal is saying the Jones twins to OKC.

Old
04-03-2014, 12:42 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Cocky, arrogant, entitled...there was a time that those would be among the 3 most common words used to describe Mark Messier.

04-03-2014, 01:04 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Neal is saying the Jones twins to OKC.

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@okcbarons · 2m
NEWS: The #OKCBarons have signed forwards Kellen and Connor Jones to ATOs, 14-15 AHL SPCs > http://*******/1j5jw7w . pic.twitter.com/Xdq5FpvAYN

Edit: What does this mean? Should I be excited? We're certainly grabbing a buncha guys for OKC.

Old
04-03-2014, 01:07 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
NEWS: The #OKCBarons have signed forwards Kellen and Connor Jones to ATOs, 14-15 AHL SPCs > http://*******/1j5jw7w . pic.twitter.com/Xdq5FpvAYN

Edit: What does this mean? Should I be excited? We're certainly grabbing a buncha guys for OKC.
Are they good?

Old
04-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Oilception

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
Are they good?
Both kids who played in university, and are small 5"9' but nothing wrong with depth

Old
04-03-2014, 01:18 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
Are they good?
42 points in 40 games in the NCAA

Was one of the top 25 for Hobey Baker I believe.

Smaller guys, but could add scoring

Old
04-03-2014, 01:26 PM
topchowda

Heres a write up on Chase

Quote:
Greg Chase would end his night with a goal on three shots towards net. He was on the ice for two Barons goals for, none against. His big frame enthused that fourth line centered by Travis Ewanyk, and gave a back-end skill that has been lacking for much of the season of farm play. Regardless of age, he’s a gamer. The big frame is quick, aware of angles, and unafraid to be in front of the net. For a beefy winger he has legit handles, his footwork is crisp. Keep in mind they played the Hamilton Bulldogs, whom are prone to messy defense, but on this night, his first pro game, Chase seems like a legit prospect

Old
04-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Hipfan

Regarding Greg Chase;

He's sometimes prone to taking a night or two off, but what teenager in junior hockey doesn't? As a Calgary Hitmen fan, I can remember Getzlaf doing that more times than not and he grew up. As for the "lippy-ness", you can tell he's always talking or making remarks out there on the ice and he seems to be an 11 out of 10 on the intense scale when he's getting competitive/worked up. I can't say what that means for his teammates, but one can say that his attitude must be very polarizing one way or the other and gets under the skin of opponents. However, these are traits that these kids can grow out of - what he does bring to the table is really good hockey sense, great vision for the play, and improving skill. He has taken leaps and bounds since he showed up in Calgary and I'm willing to bet that he improves on his 85 points of this season in the upcoming 2014/15 campaign.

The key will be how he handles next year as he'll be one of the 4 oldest guys on a Calgary Hitmen team and will be expected to exude more leadership, both by words and by example. Oilers scouts will probably just camp out at the Saddledome for a while this fall to see how he develops in this way.

Old
04-03-2014, 02:18 PM
dnicks17

Quote:

Sweet.

I was afraid that these guys would be forgotten.

Not ideal for them with it being an AHL deal, but at least they'll be around.

Old
04-03-2014, 04:01 PM
RisingSun

Id like to see Khaira play on the third line with Chase. I think an easier QoC would benefit Khaira and Chase deserves some third line minutes.

Regarding Chase's attitude: I think lots of guys grow up being ***holes in junior, especially given the amount of attention given to these kids with the emergence of social media/forums. I think once he graduates to the pro level, he'll humble up real quick.

Old
04-03-2014, 04:01 PM
sid49
#FreeGaza

I'm really excited for Chase. I really hope we found our Andrew Shaw.

Old
04-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
Big win last night...2 points out of a playoff spot with 7 games to go.

This is all secondhand, but:

Andrew Miller and Greg Miller both were huge. Brad Hunt was his typically excellent self. Khaira and Combs were pretty bad. Joey Leach is really awful, would really like someone to...replace him on defense. Eager was uniquely bad.
I actually liked Eagers game. Guy has speed to burn that really creates a lot of havoc, and his effort level has been just fine for the last while IMO. When he plays disciplined he is a very effective AHLer. He had some poor turnovers that were silly last night and was on the ice for a couple GA but he was playing with a nervous Jujhar Khaira who couldn't win a defensive zone draw to save his life, and an abysmal Curtis Hamilton.

Curtis Hamilton was the weak link on second pp unit with Khaira & Chase IMO. He should probably take a seat in pb next game to give one of the amateurs a shot. Poor guy just has a hard time consistently being a factor at this level.

Old
04-03-2014, 10:22 PM
topchowda

Chases 1st AHL goal for anyone wondering

Old
04-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipfan View Post
Regarding Greg Chase;

He's sometimes prone to taking a night or two off, but what teenager in junior hockey doesn't? As a Calgary Hitmen fan, I can remember Getzlaf doing that more times than not and he grew up. As for the "lippy-ness", you can tell he's always talking or making remarks out there on the ice and he seems to be an 11 out of 10 on the intense scale when he's getting competitive/worked up. I can't say what that means for his teammates, but one can say that his attitude must be very polarizing one way or the other and gets under the skin of opponents. However, these are traits that these kids can grow out of - what he does bring to the table is really good hockey sense, great vision for the play, and improving skill. He has taken leaps and bounds since he showed up in Calgary and I'm willing to bet that he improves on his 85 points of this season in the upcoming 2014/15 campaign.

The key will be how he handles next year as he'll be one of the 4 oldest guys on a Calgary Hitmen team and will be expected to exude more leadership, both by words and by example. Oilers scouts will probably just camp out at the Saddledome for a while this fall to see how he develops in this way.
Any idea if he plays C or RW mostly? I would guess he'll play 1C with some players turning pro for the Hitmen.

Old
04-04-2014, 01:43 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

That was a beaut.

Old
04-04-2014, 09:22 AM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:

Man I don't want to get to excited but if this guy keeps improving at the rate he has I could see him being that bigger skilled winger we wanted. Him and Perron on a line could give teams fits.

Fact that the guy was such a low draft pick, then the year after exploded offensively he could turn into the steal of the draft...

I also don't care if the guy is cocky. Better then the losing mentality that has plagued the team for so long.

Old
04-04-2014, 10:01 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:

Nice goal, but yikes, brutal play by the D there.

Closed Thread