HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

OKC Barons 2013/14

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2014, 06:32 PM
millpoo

vCash: 500
After giving up their 2 goal lead in the 4rd, the Oil Barons win 6-4, the winning scored late by Curtis Hamilton! 7th place is theirs for now.

Old
04-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Here is a goal from Fedun Eric Rodgers posted on twitter
http://instagram.com/p/mdxHN4GIz2/#
Khaira blocking out the sun.

Old
04-06-2014, 06:57 PM
ales83fan

Man this team is like the anti Oilers.

Serious question:

Same Coaching Staff, Move Hall and maybe a D or 2 to the Barons, and Swap Goalies.... Who wins.

Alternatively, let the Barons spend to the cap.

I honestly think the drive and desire and system that Nelson has there is not to be ignored. And if it will be, we will see him coach in the NHL, just not for us.

Old
04-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Bouch1337

27 shots in the second period!!!! thats absolutely crazy

Old
04-06-2014, 10:07 PM
nexttothemoon
...better... or not

vCash: 50
I honestly never thought OKC had a shot at the playoffs with where they were over a month ago... now Nelson has got them to this point... on the verge of making it with this ramshackle roster.

Nelson up and Eakins down after this season. I know it won't happen... but it honestly should.

Old
04-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Heavy Dee

Iam sure the 500 people there enjoyed that game. I see that team in ft mcmurray in 3 years when they get their new rink built.

Furthermore their airport was just granted intl status as well. It's going to happen

Old
04-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
Iam sure the 500 people there enjoyed that game. I see that team in ft mcmurray in 3 years when they get their new rink built.

Furthermore their airport was just granted intl status as well. It's going to happen
I can see them in Sask maybe. Cant see Fort Mac being able to sustain a pro team.

Old
04-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Aceboogie

Roman Horak is having a pretty good season (40 in 48). Could be a good bottom 6 guy next season

Old
04-06-2014, 11:50 PM
McMozesmadness
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Here is a goal from Fedun Eric Rodgers posted on twitter
http://instagram.com/p/mdxHN4GIz2/#
That is some weird ****, the guy In front of him is wearing a Kamloops Blazers Chase Schaber jersey???

Old
04-07-2014, 01:37 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:

You realize this isn't canada, and we are talking minor league hockey right? Sunday afternoon is always not a prime date. So while the Barons are one of the lower draws in the league, it's not uncommon to see a Sunday afternoon attendance in the 3,000s like it was yesterday anywhere in the league, not just OKC

Old
04-07-2014, 02:02 AM
tempest2i
The Gloaming

Quote:
I can see them in Sask maybe. Cant see Fort Mac being able to sustain a pro team.
Have you ever been to Fort McMurray?

I believe they could support a team up there. It'd be the best form of entertainment in town, hands down.

Old
04-07-2014, 03:20 AM
VayaConDios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
That is some weird ****, the guy In front of him is wearing a Kamloops Blazers Chase Schaber jersey???
Well Schaber is signed to a contract with Bakersfield after going to Barons training camp so theres that.

Old
04-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Hockey Monkey

Quote:

Moving your farm team to an emerging metropolis like Fort McMurray is a great way to build interest and loyalty from valuable young players, particularly free agents coming out of college or juniors.

Players will be especially enthusiastic about 40 hour long bus rides from Fort McMurray to Austin or San Antonio, although they will no doubt be disappointed when the time comes to leave the frozen glory of northern Alberta for the terrible winter weather and exceedingly dull nightlife offered in cities like Austin. In particular, the food in Austin is absolutely terrible so they'll want to pack lunches.

In related news as I'm sure you're all aware a group of ECHL guys, kids straight from juniors and like 3 veteran AHLers managed to win two huge and very entertaining games this weekend.

I was pretty impressed with Jujar; he's big, fast, works hard, seems to see the ice very well. Skill level isn't great but he could be a VERY useful player. He's the kind of guy Nelson really likes (hard working, defensively responsible, physical, etc); if Nelson is here next year Jujar will likely play a really important role. He already is, actually...he took the last two defensive zone faceoffs in a 1-0 game Saturday night.

Oesterle is a good skater and a really good outlet passer but he's having a hard time with the physicality thus far.

Horak has been pretty great; he's the Barons best offensive player right now and he's getting it done despite having some pretty bad and/or inexperienced linemates. He could be an NHL guy next year.

Jones twins were enthusiastic and speedy but small and looked a little overwhelmed by the speed of the game.

Bachman won the game almost singlehandedly on Saturday and he's awesome.

Old
04-07-2014, 10:19 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Thanks, that's good news about Khaira, I don't think he was having an overpowering season with Everett.

Old
04-07-2014, 11:05 AM
JoeCool16

I really hope that Jujhar goes back to the CHL next year as opposed to playing in the AHL. I think he really needs to find his offensive game. It's great that he's becoming a very smart, reliable defensive forward but that'll probably top out at 4th line in the NHL, but what we need more is somebody who can play that 3rd line checking game, and chip in a few points too. Like a 20-30 point guy, rather than the 10-20 points. It'd be awesome if he could do that, and then next year move into the AHL and see if he can do it all together.

No need to rush him at all. We've got Hendricks and Gordon right now for less-skilled but hard-working and smart players.

Old
04-07-2014, 11:06 AM
McRobbiezyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
Moving your farm team to an emerging metropolis like Fort McMurray is a great way to build interest and loyalty from valuable young players, particularly free agents coming out of college or juniors.

Players will be especially enthusiastic about 40 hour long bus rides from Fort McMurray to Austin or San Antonio, although they will no doubt be disappointed when the time comes to leave the frozen glory of northern Alberta for the terrible winter weather and exceedingly dull nightlife offered in cities like Austin. In particular, the food in Austin is absolutely terrible so they'll want to pack lunches.
In related news as I'm sure you're all aware a group of ECHL guys, kids straight from juniors and like 3 veteran AHLers managed to win two huge and very entertaining games this weekend.

I was pretty impressed with Jujar; he's big, fast, works hard, seems to see the ice very well. Skill level isn't great but he could be a VERY useful player. He's the kind of guy Nelson really likes (hard working, defensively responsible, physical, etc); if Nelson is here next year Jujar will likely play a really important role. He already is, actually...he took the last two defensive zone faceoffs in a 1-0 game Saturday night.

Oesterle is a good skater and a really good outlet passer but he's having a hard time with the physicality thus far.

Horak has been pretty great; he's the Barons best offensive player right now and he's getting it done despite having some pretty bad and/or inexperienced linemates. He could be an NHL guy next year.

Jones twins were enthusiastic and speedy but small and looked a little overwhelmed by the speed of the game.

Bachman won the game almost singlehandedly on Saturday and he's awesome.
This would be AWESOME! We could name their arena "The gulags" and make references to exiling players to Siberia for poor play

Old
04-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:

Pretty much this. Fort Mac is growing, and has a hockey market (Barons are a big draw), the logistics is a nightmare, and the city itself is still not a draw. Even Edmonton, which is a big city, has troubles getting FA's due to climate. The logistics is also a nightmare too.

Atleast Saskatoon/Regina is still somewhat close to the States and you could bus to places. The cities are also fairly big, and I hear both cities are nice (minus the weather)

I would much rather play in OKC in front of 1000-2000 fans than in Fort Mac infront of 2500-3000

Old
04-07-2014, 02:11 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

vCash: 104
So, how are the newbies looking? Joneses, Khaira, Chase, Winquist, that defenseman, etc...

Old
04-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Oil In My Veins

Quote:

They might be more thrilled when the rich owner buys the team a nice little commuter jet to whisk them around

Old
04-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Roof Daddy

So it's not looking good for the Soo right now and in all likelihood they get swept by Erie. Is there any chance Nurse gets a look, or is the D too deep? I also realize that Klefbom and Marincin likely return to OKC unless they get the call for the World's.

Still though, I'd rather Nurse get a game or two than Oesterle.

Old
04-07-2014, 07:32 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
So it's not looking good for the Soo right now and in all likelihood they get swept by Erie. Is there any chance Nurse gets a look, or is the D too deep? I also realize that Klefbom and Marincin likely return to OKC unless they get the call for the World's.

Still though, I'd rather Nurse get a game or two than Oesterle.
I think the Oilers would also like Nurse to get some games in, so they'd ask/instruct management in OKC to play Nurse over Oesterle. Same goes for Marincin and Klefbom, if they're eligible to play in the minors.

Old
04-07-2014, 08:03 PM
knockoutpanda
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
I don't think Marincin was on the clear day roster so he will probably got to the worlds.

Old
04-07-2014, 09:20 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:

If the Oil Companies are willing to pay to fly a minor league baseball team to Hawaii on the regular (which is a team that is in the division that Ft. McMurray's team that is going to be playing in the new baseball stadium being built) I don't think they will have an issue flying a team that will do insane numbers in this city to Austin or Abbotsford or wherever they need to go.

And to be totally honest, the last thing that should be on a players mind when he's trying to work his way up to the big league is whether or not the city the farm team is on has a good night life. Fort McMurray has the two most important things, the money and the fans. If the Barons did end up playing here, our tickets would actually be pretty damned expensive I would imagine for the average AHL ticket. Probably 40 for the cheap seats and up to 80 for the good ones. And people here will pay. They pay $100 to go watch Prestige FC, and believe me, I love MMA, but $100 to watch a card that is 60% amateur fights...Not doin it. But I'd pay $80 for a good seat to watch the Oilers prospects.

Old
04-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
If the Oil Companies are willing to pay to fly a minor league baseball team to Hawaii on the regular (which is a team that is in the division that Ft. McMurray's team that is going to be playing in the new baseball stadium being built) I don't think they will have an issue flying a team that will do insane numbers in this city to Austin or Abbotsford or wherever they need to go.

And to be totally honest, the last thing that should be on a players mind when he's trying to work his way up to the big league is whether or not the city the farm team is on has a good night life. Fort McMurray has the two most important things, the money and the fans. If the Barons did end up playing here, our tickets would actually be pretty damned expensive I would imagine for the average AHL ticket. Probably 40 for the cheap seats and up to 80 for the good ones. And people here will pay. They pay $100 to go watch Prestige FC, and believe me, I love MMA, but $100 to watch a card that is 60% amateur fights...Not doin it. But I'd pay $80 for a good seat to watch the Oilers prospects.
AHL players over 25 also have family, so that's important. Not saying Fort Mac is horrible, but I think a city like OKC would be seen as a better play to raise family.

I think a WHL team would have to go there first before an AHL team would relocate.

I can see another bigger hockey market with a exisiting NHL team would be the first place to go to as well. A place like Minnesota, New York (Utica has a team, is that near NYC?), or even Ottawa or Calgary could sustain an AHL team

Old
04-07-2014, 09:50 PM
MisterD
5-14-6-1

I'm biased, but I think an AHL in Saskatoon would do great.

Closed Thread