HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OKC Barons 2013/14

Old
04-13-2014, 05:48 PM
Oilers10

vCash: 500
OKC dominated the 5 min OT. It would be a travesty if they don't get the 2nd point in the shootout.

Oilers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 05:49 PM
topchowda

Nurse looks so good out there. Had a bad give away in the second, but looks really dangerous out there otherwise

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 05:50 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Holy **** that horn!

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 06:04 PM
BleedingOil

Big win for OKC, Lander gets the SO winner. Now 2 points up for 8th with a game in hand.

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 06:16 PM
FlyingV

Nurse looked solid today. Has great offensive instincts. Can't wait till he puts on a little more strength and size so that he can dominate defensively.

Anyone know when Arco is expected back? Would be really nice to have him and Lander back as our 1-2C's for the playoffs.

FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Hugo Stiglitz

vCash: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
Nurse looked solid today. Has great offensive instincts. Can't wait till he puts on a little more strength and size so that he can dominate defensively.

Anyone know when Arco is expected back? Would be really nice to have him and Lander back as our 1-2C's for the playoffs.
I don't think he's expected to be back until the 1st round of the playoffs.

Hugo Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 06:19 PM
topchowda

Lander is like the Malkin of the AHL. Its really frustratign that he cant translate his skill to the NHL

Nurse looked really good. Klefbom looked solid too.

Old
04-13-2014, 06:20 PM
FlyingV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
I don't think he's expected to be back until the 1st round of the playoffs.
Bummer, oh well they should be fine making it there without him.

Also liked the little I saw out of Khaira, has really good positioning/instincts defensively and uses his size well. Ewanyk also looked pretty good on the PK.

FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 06:33 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

They play the Texas Stars next which should be a tough test.

At least now OKC controls their own fate. 3 games left and 1 game in hand on the 2 teams right behind them. Should be fun to watch them fight for that last spot next week.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 07:24 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Watching this team play man.. I love Nelson. He is a great coach there is no other way that team does as well as it does. Our call ups often look great, and they all seem to play hard. I'm really excited to for training camp this year to see these guys fight for a spot.

DeathbyCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 07:46 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Great game, I was impressed with Nurse. He looked more and more composed and confident with the puck as the game went on. For a guy in his 2nd pro game with a new team he was solid. He looks at least as good as Klefbom already.

Also Lander is hands down the best player on the Barons. He's got to be on the oilers third line soon, just needs the right linemates.

I really hope the Barons keep their playoff spot, now that the oilers are done they've got loads of depth. I think they can go deep, defence is pretty young but it's a solid group.

http://imgur.com/xM5QnNZ
http://imgur.com/qZCkzn1

Last edited by Lay Z Boy GM: 04-13-2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Pics aren't loading on my phone
Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 09:15 PM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post

Great game, I was impressed with Nurse. He looked more and more composed and confident with the puck as the game went on. For a guy in his 2nd pro game with a new team he was solid. He looks at least as good as Klefbom already.

Also Lander is hands down the best player on the Barons. He's got to be on the oilers third line soon, just needs the right linemates.

I really hope the Barons keep their playoff spot, now that the oilers are done they've got loads of depth. I think they can go deep, defence is pretty young but it's a solid group.

http://imgur.com/xM5QnNZ
http://imgur.com/qZCkzn1
17?

Gross.

Awesome news though.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:18 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
17?

Gross.

Awesome news though.
I'm pretty sure everyone on the barons had to choose a number below 30 so his choices were pretty limited.

Just want to add that while Nurse looked at least as good as Klefbom, Klef was banged up and had ice packs pretty much whenever he was on the bench, seemed to have a sore neck and I didn't see him lay the body on anyone but he took up a lot of space and used his stick real well. Also I was slightly bummed out that I didn't get to see marincin play, Gernat was scratched and Chase was too. But hey, there's a lot of extra bodies in case guys get injured in the playoffs. I like the Barons chances.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 08:35 AM
bewbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Horak - Lander - Pitlick
Fyten - Stretch - Miller
C. Hamilton - Acton - Pinizzotto
Ewanyk - Khaira - Ford

Nurse - Fedun
Klefbom - Musil
Davidson - Hunt

Scratches: Plenty.

Game starts at 2:00 MT on Sportsnet 360.
The 4th line was our first line 2 weeks ago. Unbelievable how much better this team just got.

We play Texas Wednesday; they've been the best team in the league this year and have generally outplayed us wire to wire. They score a ton of goals and are scary. Iowa has been really terrible this year and we close out with two games at home against them. Lucky break.

If we win out we'll be in the playoffs and playing Texas, so Wednesday might be a playoff preview. With the roster we iced yesterday I think we'll be at least a match for Texas, and if we beat Texas in the first round...could go pretty deep.

It would be so great if Arcobello could get thrown back in there somewhere.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:23 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
The 4th line was our first line 2 weeks ago. Unbelievable how much better this team just got.

We play Texas Wednesday; they've been the best team in the league this year and have generally outplayed us wire to wire. They score a ton of goals and are scary. Iowa has been really terrible this year and we close out with two games at home against them. Lucky break.

If we win out we'll be in the playoffs and playing Texas, so Wednesday might be a playoff preview. With the roster we iced yesterday I think we'll be at least a match for Texas, and if we beat Texas in the first round...could go pretty deep.

It would be so great if Arcobello could get thrown back in there somewhere.
If Simpson signs soon, could he be an improvement on Davidson or Musil?

Musil looked decent yesterday and was good along the boards. Has he looked good this season?

Simpson looked fantastic in his frozen four game, but don't know if hell crack the line up so late in the season. He's a good option tho

Old
04-14-2014, 03:33 PM
bewbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
If Simpson signs soon, could he be an improvement on Davidson or Musil?

Musil looked decent yesterday and was good along the boards. Has he looked good this season?

Simpson looked fantastic in his frozen four game, but don't know if hell crack the line up so late in the season. He's a good option tho
Musil and Gernat both are servicable 5/6 guys in the AHL but they're obviously both young and have all of the things that come along with that. Grebeshkov is a better option than either in the near term and he's scratched (I suspect at the instruction of the Oilers front office) plus we have so, so many LHDs. On the other hand 4 year college guys tend to do really well making the transition and depth is always a good thing in the playoffs.

These are the pairings I would use with no restrictions:

Hunt/Fedun
Davidson/Grebeshkov
Klefbom/Nurse

Also we now have 10 LHD on the roster. 1 RHD, but at least it is Fedun.

Also where Larsen? We could really use that guy.

Last edited by bewbies: 04-14-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old
04-14-2014, 03:46 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Musil and Gernat both are servicable 5/6 guys in the AHL but they're obviously both young and have all of the things that come along with that. Grebeshkov is a better option than either in the near term and he's scratched (I suspect at the instruction of the Oilers front office) plus we have so, so many LHDs. On the other hand 4 year college guys tend to do really well making the transition and depth is always a good thing in the playoffs.

Hunt/Fedun
Davidson/Grebeshkov
Klefbom/Nurse

Good to know! From a development standpoint having Musil/Gernat/Simpson playing minutes in the AHL over Grebeshov is better, but from a team standpoint, playing Grebeshkov is probably better

I wonder what they will do next year with all the influx of young players.

I could see Larsen as a good forward option in OKC. The D seem ok for know, but the forwards could really use some scoring help. Larsen was decent at forward in the NHL, so could maybe be added to a bottom 6 line to provide offense

Old
04-14-2014, 04:20 PM
BleedingOil

Larsen brings a ton of energy at forward, wouldnt mind seeing him there for an extended look next year

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I think that Larsen would have to be subjected to waivers to go back to the AHL? Which is why he wasn't reassigned? I could be wrong.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 05:09 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I think that Larsen would have to be subjected to waivers to go back to the AHL? Which is why he wasn't reassigned? I could be wrong.
I thought he passed through earlier?

Old
04-14-2014, 05:10 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
Larsen brings a ton of energy at forward, wouldnt mind seeing him there for an extended look next year
I hope that since this is an OKC thread that you mean as a forward in the AHL. I want no part of Larsen as a forward with the Oilers.

04-14-2014, 05:25 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I hope that since this is an OKC thread that you mean as a forward in the AHL. I want no part of Larsen as a forward with the Oilers.
If Vancouver and Calgary got rid of their face punchers and actually tried to progress hockey in some way, I would take Larsen over Gazdic as the 14th forward without hesitation.

I would get actual players for the bottom 6 with size who can cycle/ forecheck. But would carry Larsen as the extra and use him when scoring is hard to come by.

Ofcourse, this a pipe dream as Burke is about the most backwards GMs in the league, and probably still watches Don Cherry to get hockey advice

Old
04-14-2014, 05:37 PM
bewbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
They put him on waivers back in March and he cleared. Only thing I can think of is they gave him a choice and he didn't want to come down. Or hurt maybe?

Old
04-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Brewster

Ehhhh if only Lander's game would translate into the NHL. He looks so tentative with the big club and so smooth and relaxed on the farm. It's quite frustrating.

Good to hear Nurse had a nice debut - hopefully we can get him some AHL playoff experience this year as we'll!

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:

Hunt/Fedun
Davidson/Grebeshkov
Klefbom/Nurse

I like Grebeshkov game too, wish he got more time throughout season. However, he is hurt at the moment. Ran into forklift playing pre game soccer warm up with the guys. He will be out for another 2-3 weeks if I recall correctly

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote