HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OKC Barons 2013/14

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-17-2014, 03:54 PM
  #776
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I think that if Gordon wasn't on this team Lander would be playing 3C already.
If Lander can translate his AHL offence into some NHL scoring he could be a decent 2/3C tweener.
Lander's speed is what holds him back with offence at NHL level , don't think he will ever happen the gap control on him is evident when he handles puck.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 04:26 PM
  #777
LTIR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 638
So 2 games left in season and both against Iowa Wild (Worst record in Western Conference)

We SHOULD make the playoffs.

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 04:48 PM
  #778
Hall2Nuge2Ebs
Registered User
 
Hall2Nuge2Ebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,921
vCash: 50
We really have no offense from our forwards in OKC other than Horak and Lander
Not to mention Nurse and Fedun combined for 10 of our 25 shots on goal against the Stars
We're the Predators of the AHL lol

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 05:04 PM
  #779
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
We really have no offense from our forwards in OKC other than Horak and Lander
Not to mention Nurse and Fedun combined for 10 of our 25 shots on goal against the Stars
We're the Predators of the AHL lol
Once they get Arco back, they'll be golden. 28 points in 15 games

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 08:28 PM
  #780
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
Lander's speed is what holds him back with offence at NHL level , don't think he will ever happen the gap control on him is evident when he handles puck.
His coaches have said he's identified this and worked on it for the last several years. He looked good at C in the Oilers last game, if I remember right he blew by a dman for a good chance on Markstrom 1 on 1 but he got a blocker on it.

I'm a Lander fan, and I think it would be crazy to give up on him so early. He's only 22, turning 23. Fans around here (not saying you specifically, just generalising) are too spoiled by early first rounders and expect all of our prospects to be full blown NHL'ers by 21/22 it seems, hardly any other teams do this.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 09:34 PM
  #781
manningite
Registered User
 
manningite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Victoria
Posts: 594
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
His coaches have said he's identified this and worked on it for the last several years. He looked good at C in the Oilers last game, if I remember right he blew by a dman for a good chance on Markstrom 1 on 1 but he got a blocker on it.

I'm a Lander fan, and I think it would be crazy to give up on him so early. He's only 22, turning 23. Fans around here (not saying you specifically, just generalising) are too spoiled by early first rounders and expect all of our prospects to be full blown NHL'ers by 21/22 it seems, hardly any other teams do this.
I agree that it seems like people on this board are quick to give up on our prospects.

Personally hope Lander finds a contributing home on our bottom two lines, preferably as a winger who fills in at center when needed. Arcobello as well, don't see why there wouldn't be chemistry between Arco and Hendricks.

manningite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 10:48 PM
  #782
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,905
vCash: 500
Honestly just think Lander needs to pot a couple in the bigs and he'll be fine

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 10:50 PM
  #783
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,905
vCash: 500
Also meant to mention that the fact Nurse is being double-shifted in the 3rd period of a one goal game in his 3rd AHL game is pretty fantastic.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 12:39 AM
  #784
JoeCool16
Registered User
 
JoeCool16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,678
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by manningite View Post
I agree that it seems like people on this board are quick to give up on our prospects.

Personally hope Lander finds a contributing home on our bottom two lines, preferably as a winger who fills in at center when needed. Arcobello as well, don't see why there wouldn't be chemistry between Arco and Hendricks.
I don't think anyone (ok, some, but not most) are giving up on Lander... we may just feel he needs more time to develop, and doing it on the 4th line with 4th liners playing ~8 minutes a night in the NHL won't do it. The worry comes in that he might just leave the Oilers for the SHL if we don't give him a 1-way NHL contract though.

I definitely don't want to give up on him. I think he can be a very effective bottom 6 player for us in the next couple years, and then hopefully for a long time. We've just got to keep developing him the right way so he can achieve that, and keep him interested.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 01:52 AM
  #785
manningite
Registered User
 
manningite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Victoria
Posts: 594
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
I don't think anyone (ok, some, but not most) are giving up on Lander... we may just feel he needs more time to develop, and doing it on the 4th line with 4th liners playing ~8 minutes a night in the NHL won't do it. The worry comes in that he might just leave the Oilers for the SHL if we don't give him a 1-way NHL contract though.

I definitely don't want to give up on him. I think he can be a very effective bottom 6 player for us in the next couple years, and then hopefully for a long time. We've just got to keep developing him the right way so he can achieve that, and keep him interested.
You think that letting him light up the AHL and then the occasional call to try and make something happen in the top 6 is the way to develop him?

I think he could be part of the contributing bottom six that we are always talking about, then hopefully if the goals come in the bigs he can move up the lines.

Him, Arco, and either Hendricks or Gordon could be a line utilized primarily against other teams fourth lines for secondary scoring.

Like you said he probably doesn't see himself playing many more years in the AHL

manningite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 02:28 AM
  #786
Baby Nilsson
Registered User
 
Baby Nilsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by manningite View Post
You think that letting him light up the AHL and then the occasional call to try and make something happen in the top 6 is the way to develop him?

I think he could be part of the contributing bottom six that we are always talking about, then hopefully if the goals come in the bigs he can move up the lines.

Him, Arco, and either Hendricks or Gordon could be a line utilized primarily against other teams fourth lines for secondary scoring.

Like you said he probably doesn't see himself playing many more years in the AHL
Why not? Detroit prospects don't join the team until early to mid 20's.

Baby Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 03:05 AM
  #787
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
Why not? Detroit prospects don't join the team until early to mid 20's.
I agree with the main point here which I guess is to sign Lander for another couple of years and not be afraid to play him in OKC. The problem though is that a player who is not in the Detroit system may find this strange.

I think Lander is the real deal but he seems to be somewhat of a diesel. Takes time to get started but once he is up and running he just goes and goes. Took him 4 years in, shl, 3 in ahl, hopefully in the next couple of years he'll manage to play in the nhl.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 03:31 AM
  #788
Burnt Biscuits
Registered User
 
Burnt Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,707
vCash: 500
I hope we stick with Lander if he is willing to come back for another year. We have given Lander a pretty fair shake at holding down an NHL job and he still hasn't been able to grab the reins, this is typically where we would cut ties with said player, but Lander has made very noticeable improvements to his game this year, his puck protection and strength down low is worlds better than last year. He also has a lot of character and smarts, he's a really good human being by all accounts, he's the kind of guy you want around mentoring the young guys in the AHL even if he doesn't end up making the cut at the NHL level.

So, just two more game to go, I'm hoping the guys can hold down this last playoff spot. We need to put all our good vibes into the Barons for the next two days, I'd really like to see a long playoff run for the team.

Burnt Biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 03:38 AM
  #789
manningite
Registered User
 
manningite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Victoria
Posts: 594
vCash: 50
Lander is probably already capable of scoring consistently at the nhl level he needs to stop being so timid out there and start letting the shots go. I found he was making typical nervous mistakes of holding on to the puck for too long and making a pass when he had the best shooting option. I think leaving him in the bigs in the position I've talked about but consistently so that's his position and not just him on borrowed time then he will be more comfortable out there and do what he does.

manningite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 03:59 PM
  #790
tiger_80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
His coaches have said he's identified this and worked on it for the last several years. He looked good at C in the Oilers last game, if I remember right he blew by a dman for a good chance on Markstrom 1 on 1 but he got a blocker on it.

I'm a Lander fan, and I think it would be crazy to give up on him so early. He's only 22, turning 23. Fans around here (not saying you specifically, just generalising) are too spoiled by early first rounders and expect all of our prospects to be full blown NHL'ers by 21/22 it seems, hardly any other teams do this.
Yes, many people are raving about Nyquist's season in Detroit now, but Nyquist is 24 now and was a 2008 pick. Before this season he played the grand total of 40 NHL games, scoring 13 points. Now I am not saying Lander is as good as Nyquist, but the reality is he is almost 2 years younger and his numbers in the AHL this year are comparable to Nyquist's AHL numbers last year.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 04:35 PM
  #791
CurrenR
Registered User
 
CurrenR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 408
vCash: 450
Bob Stauffer retweeted a link on the speculation of Western Conference (specifically Pacific Division) teams moving their AHL affiliates out west.

http://mayorsmanor.com/2014/04/major...ects-to-socal/

Here are is the information from the article that is related to Edmonton:

Quote:
Through multiple league sources connected to the teams involved, we’ve confirmed that five to six NHL teams are prepared to move their top minor league prospects to a new AHL division based in Western U.S. markets.
The reason for this is actually quite simple; it just isn’t practical – or at least not ideal- to have the heart of an NHL franchise operating in one time zone, while their top development team is several time zones away.
At one point, as many as eight teams were involved in the discussions, including Anaheim, Los Angeles, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Phoenix, San Jose, and Vancouver.
Quote:
Regular conference calls and meetings have been taking place regarding this idea for a few years now and after vetting several different proposals – including the possibility of those teams starting their own league – it is now believed the AHL is on board with the idea.

From what we’ve learned recently, the new division will begin play in October 2015, as part of the AHL’s 2015-16 season.

The Coyotes, Ducks, Kings, and Sharks, are on board. As for the other one or two teams still in the mix, it is believed one of the Western Canadian teams’ interest in the project may have cooled.
Quote:
This is only speculation, but we would assume that team is the Vancouver Canucks. Their current AHL affiliate is located in Utica, N.Y. and Canucks Sports Entertainment owns the team. Although a move West would seem preferable, they just began play there this year, so perhaps there are some contractual agreements in place for the next few seasons. Edmonton purchased their ECHL affiliate in Bakersfield last year and Calgary owns their AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Heat (who are said to be moving next season anyway). Thus, they would most likely be part of the initial group of teams in 2015-16.

CurrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 04:39 PM
  #792
voxel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Yes, many people are raving about Nyquist's season in Detroit now, but Nyquist is 24 now and was a 2008 pick. Before this season he played the grand total of 40 NHL games, scoring 13 points. Now I am not saying Lander is as good as Nyquist, but the reality is he is almost 2 years younger and his numbers in the AHL this year are comparable to Nyquist's AHL numbers last year.
Been raving about Nyquist for years now. I have not seen Lander this season, but loved how Nyquist controlled the play in the lockout year. You could tell the AHL was a league beneath him.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...t#post73170349

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...t#post41287307

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 05:25 PM
  #793
Hall2Nuge2Ebs
Registered User
 
Hall2Nuge2Ebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,921
vCash: 50
Do you think it would be possible in the future to have our farm team in Edmonton?
The Oil Kings and Barons could play in Rexall and the Oilers of course would play in Rogers arena

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 08:03 PM
  #794
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,575
vCash: 500
I have to admit, this Arcobello tweet made me laugh.

Quote:
@sporkabella
It's my bobblehead giveaway 2nite in OKC for first 2,000 fans. How many times am I gonna hear the "Hey it's life size!" joke? Probably 2,000

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 09:29 PM
  #795
Kayen
Yakityyakyakyak
 
Kayen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seoul
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I have to admit, this Arcobello tweet made me laugh.
OKC has clinched a playoff spot. Going into OT now. 3-3 tie vs Iowa Wild.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 09:34 PM
  #796
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
3 point night for Lander.

Barons win in OT.


Last edited by Groucho: 04-18-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 09:38 PM
  #797
Rafters
Registered User
 
Rafters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Medicine Hat
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
3 point night for Lander.
1 more AHL season and he will be ready...just turning 23 this week....hopefully he does not decide to go home.....

Rafters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 09:41 PM
  #798
FlyingV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
1 more AHL season and he will be ready...just turning 23 this week....hopefully he does not decide to go home.....
A good offseason and a good camp and he will likely make the team. Could see him spending some time in OKC next year, but if he keeps the upward progression going he should be a bottom 6er on the oil next year. Just needs to start adding some offence in the NHL.

FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 09:41 PM
  #799
Burnt Biscuits
Registered User
 
Burnt Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,707
vCash: 500
The Wild really shouldn't of been in this game with us, just some poor mental lapses from the team, and Bachman hasn't looked quite as good of late, I think he needs a night off.

I swear it is uncanny how good we are at pouring it on late to tie it, it seems like half the Barons game I watch we come from behind to tie it in the last 5 minutes.

Burnt Biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 09:44 PM
  #800
FlyingV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 355
vCash: 500
Also Horak is starting to look like the hidden gem from that Smid trade. I didn't mind the trade at all when it was made, but I have to admit I was really only excited about having Brossoit in the system. Horak's really starting to grow on me though and could add some offence to the bottom 6 along with Lander in the future.

FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.