HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: Where will Dallas finish for the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?
1st-5th 4 4.71%
6th-10th 12 14.12%
11th-15th 38 44.71%
16th-20th 24 28.24%
21st-25th 5 5.88%
26th-30th 2 2.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2014, 05:46 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyFromThere View Post
Not to mention Tanner Pearson was drafted at 19, so from the day of his first draft year it took him 2 and half years to develop into a player that's an NHL regular. Pretty close to the three years-four years like you said it usually takes.
You beat me too it. I was forming my on second look regrettable smart ass response.

No really need to come off like that but the point stands that nearly no team truly rushes their players. Very few guys 4 and 5 years removed from the draft are playing in their 2nd or 3rd season in the NHL. Some haven't even played a full season yet and some are just playing their 2nd season.

Pearson can't even be called NHL ready though. He's played a single NHL game since being drafted. If he plays his first full season next year ... he'd be right on track for any normal pick in his 4th season from being draft eligible.

Old
05-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Satan
& try another year

Cmon BigG just admit if we traded up to the top 5 each season to take high potential players we'd have the past 3 Stanley Cups

Old
05-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Henderson33

Just to add to this a little bit, Dallas also drafted a goalie in 2010, who typically take much longer than 4 years to develop. Had the Stars drafted a forward/defense he would have most likely played in the NHL by now. Unless said player was Hishon (Injuries slowed him down) or Forbort, who is just playing his first season in the AHL because he was in college.

Other than Glennie, all of the first round picks since him are right on track. Oleksiak could be in the NHL next year, and Faksa seems to be showing Texas Stars fans exactly what he was showing the OHL, that he is much better than the numbers show.

Old
05-11-2014, 06:10 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan View Post
Cmon BigG just admit if we traded up to the top 5 each season to take high potential players we'd have the past 3 Stanley Cups
Funny ... yes ... but is that a stretch?

Sometimes you have to get lucky ... Chicago has a ton of high picks, but their number 1 D is a late 2nd.

In 2007, that's Dallas' lucky pick. I think many people would be OK agreeing Jamie Benn is the 2nd best forward in that draft. He's at least Top 5 talent.

Dallas also has Top 5 talent from the 2010 and 2013 draft. As far as talent goes, Dallas has as much at the top as a team like Chicago, and the state of the Texas Stars is encouraging enough to make you believe Dallas should have similar talented depth of a team like Chicago in just a short period of time.

The thing that separates Dallas from being great is what we've already acknowledged. Top pair D. Dallas either has to get lucky like Chicago and draft it ... potentially later in the draft now because of how could the team is OR get lucky like Boston and sign it OR somehow pull off another Segun-level trade on the backside.

As far as high end talent goes though, Dallas is as good as almost every other team, and they're better off than most. On the opposite end of the spectrum, EDM probably has higher end talent than most, but their ability to build a team and draft in the later rounds is pretty poor. All that top end talent to this point hasn't lucked out in producing solid role players like a Saad or Kruger/Shaw in CHI or Dallas scouting mining talent like Roussel, Dillon or late round success with Sceviour and others.

No team is going to just draft high end talent. You have to draft a team.

Old
05-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Starry Knight
A New Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyFromThere View Post
Konecny actually played quite a few games at centre. Like, the majority of his games.
shows what I know

Old
05-12-2014, 09:18 PM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
It seems to me that when it comes to players projected to go in the top 10 of the NHL Entry Draft, we seem to praise and focus on the strengths of their game. To me weaknesses are often overlooked as we err on the side of optimism for these highly touted young players. For the top 10-12 of this years draft, does anyone have insight on the faults in their game?

Old
05-12-2014, 09:20 PM
SolidusAKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttMorrow View Post
It seems to me that when it comes to players projected to go in the top 10 of the NHL Entry Draft, we seem to praise and focus on the strengths of their game. To me weaknesses are often overlooked as we err on the side of optimism for these highly touted young players. For the top 10-12 of this years draft, does anyone have insight on the faults in their game?
I know its been said earlier, but apparently Kevin Fiala cant play defense to save his life.

Old
05-12-2014, 09:45 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Ekblad - I'm only paraphrasing here but I've heard him described as having man child syndrome sort of making him a man amongst boys and he's peaked physically at a young age and will have a tougher time adjusting to playing against people as or more physically mature as him when he reaches the next level.

Reinhart - his shot/size/strength/footspeed may not be nhl quality yet? I'm only taking that from limited viewings but I think he'll need time to add the physical dimension.

Draisaitl - skating can look 'clunky' at times

If you read through the players individual threads in the prospect boards you will definitely find some critics and their critiques.

Old
05-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Slightly OT - but anyone wanting to see a great junior hockey game go to whl.ca. Tonight, there is a FREE webcast for game 7 of the Championship final between Edmonton and Portland. Off the top of my head speedster Mads Eller, brother of Lars is a draft eligible prospect in this one.

Last edited by Karitimes: 05-12-2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Did I mention game 7 is tonight!
Old
05-12-2014, 10:04 PM
TheGuyFromThere
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't remember him being weak in his defensize zone the few games I saw him in person, but I've heard a few people bemoan Perlini's play in his own end.

I'm pretty surprised with the size at the top of the draft. Kapanen, Nylander and Ehlers are 5'11 but really everybody else who wouldn't be a reach in the top 10 is 6'-plus.

Old
05-13-2014, 12:45 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karitimes View Post
Slightly OT - but anyone wanting to see a great junior hockey game go to whl.ca. Tonight, there is a FREE webcast for game 7 of the Championship final between Edmonton and Portland. Off the top of my head speedster Mads Eller, brother of Lars is a draft eligible prospect in this one.
Oil Kings win, the Memorial Cup is now almost set. London (Host), Guelph (OHL), Edmonton (WHL) are all in with the winner of tomorrow night's game 7 in the QMJHL between Val D'Or and Baie Comeau set to become the final team.

Eller was awesome in this one with 1 G, 1 A. Of the many drafted prospects in this one Lazar (Ott), Moroz (Edm), scored for the OilKings, while Leipsic (Nsh) and Bjorkstrand (Cbj) scored for the Winterhawks.

Of note Dumba was awful. He was on the ice for 3 OilKing goals (against), I can't believe he scored his first NHL goal against the Stars this year.

Old
05-13-2014, 11:26 AM
marty182

in that series played many undrafted prospects. For Edmonton - Pollock (34 ranked), Mayo (82), Irving (90) and for Portland - de Leo (36), Schoenborn (78), Iverson (85), Turgeon (97). I just watched few first games and really liked Portland 3rd line Iverson-Turgeon-Schoenborn. Thas trio is so dynamic!

Old
05-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Starry Knight
A New Hope

The more I give it thought, the more I would like Fabbri. At this point any denfenceman taken at 14 is a bit of a reach (unless Fleury falls). I think we can afford a high risk pick like him. Really warmed up to him throughout the OHL playoffs.

Old
05-14-2014, 06:38 PM
OttMorrow

I like Fabbri too.

Old
05-14-2014, 06:51 PM
Starry Knight
A New Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starry Knight View Post
This is a little pointless speculating on the later rounds, but I would be extremely happy if we draft Christian Dvorak in the 3rd or 4th round. In my totally biased opinion, he has a similar skillset to Jared McCann's. He got a regular shift on the Knights PK to start the year and got limited 4th line minutes (like Remi Elie got last year). He was rated in the mid second round on Craig Button's lists early in the year and now is listed as a early 3rd rounder. It is uncertain where he will go because he's been out the second half of the year because of knee surgery.

His stats:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=194889
For those who will be watching, Dvorak has been cleared to play in the Memorial Cup. Super pumped to see him fly by the Oil Kings live

Old
05-16-2014, 10:35 AM
OttMorrow

The more I look into this draft, the more of a mess it becomes. There's really no telling who will be there when we pick! Should be a fun one in that regard.

Old
05-16-2014, 11:38 AM
BigG44

Quote:
The more I look into this draft, the more of a mess it becomes. There's really no telling who will be there when we pick! Should be a fun one in that regard.
Pronman's latest Top 100 has Ehlers and Fiala high in the Top 10, and he mentions there is a Top 16 in the draft. The tiers he mentions are 1, 2-4, 5-9, and 10-16.

He also said that there isn't an elite player in this draft, and the guys at 1-2 aren't as strong, but the Top 10 is an above average group. His Top 10 has players that most have in the teens though so it's not bad to think Dallas made the playoffs and still has a shot at an above average player or at least one of the guys before the talent really dips.

Old
05-16-2014, 11:43 AM
BigG44

The other side to Pronman's evaluation of the draft is Dallas' pick at 14 could be more valuable in a trade. Pronman's case for the draft makes it seem like trading back would be a mistake because you'd be giving up a on drafting a a more talented player in the Top 16, but if you moved it for a defender you could get good value.

Old
05-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

I have a hunch that there will be a lot of trading back in this draft. I'd love for us to trade our pick + Chiasson + prospect/pick for a top end defender or bring Spezza to Dallas.

Seguin
Spezza

Amazing 1,2 punch.......

Old
05-16-2014, 12:25 PM
OttMorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Dallas made the playoffs and still has a shot at an above average player or at least one of the guys before the talent really dips.
For sure. There will be high quality prospects on the board when it's our turn. I wouldn't mind trading the pick for a legitimate immediate upgrade on to our 1st pairing D or a young 2C. The only thing that would make me throw things at the TV would be if we did an Armstrong 14th for the 22nd and a 54th type of trade.

Old
05-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Klockis
Our Savior

vCash: 1075
Quote:
For sure. There will be high quality prospects on the board when it's our turn. I wouldn't mind trading the pick for a legitimate immediate upgrade on to our 1st pairing D or a young 2C. The only thing that would make me throw things at the TV would be if we did an Armstrong 14th for the 22nd and a 54th type of trade.
If Nill thinks that is the right move I would trust him. I probably never cared less for who we draft, I'm more intrested in the trades as whoever we draft isn't going to help us next season. That said I still care a lot, just less than previous years.

Old
05-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Satan
& try another year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeth View Post
I have a hunch that there will be a lot of trading back in this draft. I'd love for us to trade our pick + Chiasson + prospect/pick for a top end defender or bring Spezza to Dallas.

Seguin
Spezza

Amazing 1,2 punch.......
Chiasson + 14th overall and another prospect for potentially one year of Jason Spezza?

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Old
05-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Yeah I don't get this Spezza crazy talk. Dallas isn't Spezza away from winning the Central or being a WCF team. You trade Chiasson for a better long term solution, not a hope that Spezza might re-sign. He's older, injury prone, has never played in the West and will be expensive to acquire. Why would Dallas want to touch a deal like that? Especially when it may not solve the center hole beyond next season.

Old
05-16-2014, 01:32 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

I would want Nill to be able to negotiate an extension prior to the trade ofcourse. Ottawa could add also, depending on what prospect/additional pick we are giving up.

Old
05-16-2014, 01:54 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeth View Post
I would want Nill to be able to negotiate an extension prior to the trade ofcourse. Ottawa could add also, depending on what prospect/additional pick we are giving up.
That's not common ... getting a new contract in place before a trade, and you couldn't agree to a contract before July 1st (1 year out from the expiration of Spezza's contract).

Now your 2014 is off the table unless they happen to like they guy you drafted AND you're willing to move that player ... highly unlikely but say a situation like 2013 develops once again and you're surely not going to move a guy like Nichushkin who fell to you.

Closed Thread