HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, What's Next? | Part VII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2013, 05:34 PM
  #226
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 14,352
vCash: 500
I guess that frees up enough money for the Devils to sign all of the free agents still available ...

aragorn is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 05:36 PM
  #227
Harbinger
sic parvis magna
 
Harbinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,084
vCash: 500
is there a reason why?

Harbinger is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 05:37 PM
  #228
Slow Hands
The feels
 
Slow Hands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500
Dude just pulled a Alfie

Slow Hands is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 05:41 PM
  #229
dzingelalltheway
Moderator
Let's win it all -MR
 
dzingelalltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 50
I'm not sure I understand how the Devils were able to get out of paying the full sum. Was it just because of mutual contract termination?

__________________
dzingelalltheway is online now  
Old
07-11-2013, 05:43 PM
  #230
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader
 
Ether Prodigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,307
vCash: 500
Terrible contract, it might be an awful few seasons but over the long term this is the best thing the Devils could have hoped for.

They could try to squeeze a draft pick back out of it and it might work.

As for the speculation about the KHL and his next contact, pretty hilarious. Maybe it's just me but Puck Daddy and all the KHL-lovers need a serious reality check. $20 million ? No. $10 million? Possibly but I doubt it.

The $20 million number is particularly funny. He's not making as much as soccer superstars - that's for sure.

He's 30, which isn't old but it's not young for a goalscorer either. And New Jersey has a problem on its hands - Kovalchuk leaves for home, Clarkson leaves for home, Parise leaves for home. LOL.

Ether Prodigy is online now  
Old
07-11-2013, 05:48 PM
  #231
Whizar
#KeepTheSenate
 
Whizar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bath/Edm/Winn/Cold
Country: Belarus
Posts: 17,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reg Season SC View Post
Terrible contract, it might be an awful few seasons but over the long term this is the best thing the Devils could have hoped for.

They could try to squeeze a draft pick back out of it and it might work.

As for the speculation about the KHL and his next contact, pretty hilarious. Maybe it's just me but Puck Daddy and all the KHL-lovers need a serious reality check. $20 million ? No. $10 million? Possibly but I doubt it.

The $20 million number is particularly funny. He's not making as much as soccer superstars - that's for sure.

He's 30, which isn't old but it's not young for a goalscorer either. And New Jersey has a problem on its hands - Kovalchuk leaves for home, Clarkson leaves for home, Parise leaves for home. LOL.
the numbers i heard were 12-15 mil but that may be for 2 years.

Whizar is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 05:52 PM
  #232
Benjamin
/\
 
Benjamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: /
Posts: 29,547
vCash: 271
Kovy will probably get a ton of money from endorsements as well.

Also saw a tweet saying he made 15mil in the KHL during the lockout.

Benjamin is online now  
Old
07-11-2013, 05:54 PM
  #233
Magix
Registered User
 
Magix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,511
vCash: 500
The only thing that was driving the devils offense is gone and no draft pick this year as well...


At least they didn't overpay clarkson.

Magix is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 05:59 PM
  #234
MrG
Lord and Saviour
 
MrG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
This is like the equivalent of Spezza retiring.

I feel for Devil fans.

MrG is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 06:01 PM
  #235
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis
 
Tap on the Ankle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,704
vCash: 500
This will work out better for the Devils in the longterm anyway, that contract was just obscene. Doesn't make it any less of a stinger for the fans though, lost Parise, Clarkson, now Kovalchuk with this year's 1st forfeited.

Tap on the Ankle is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 06:38 PM
  #236
MiscBrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,734
vCash: 500
If they get the pick back this was completely planned by the devils. Such bs they didn't give it up when they picked 29th.

MiscBrah is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 06:42 PM
  #237
Lenny the Lynx
Registered User
 
Lenny the Lynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscBrah View Post
If they get the pick back this was completely planned by the devils. Such bs they didn't give it up when they picked 29th.
Why do people think they will get it back? The circumvention already happened, I don't see how this changes that.... Am I the only one that thinks that? I'm surprised it's even bring discussed

Lenny the Lynx is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 07:10 PM
  #238
Senscore
The Superior B-Side
 
Senscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,430
vCash: 500
Das cold.


He's like a super-Heatley.

Senscore is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 07:43 PM
  #239
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 35,181
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Why do people think they will get it back? The circumvention already happened, I don't see how this changes that.... Am I the only one that thinks that? I'm surprised it's even bring discussed
I honestly think it would be the right thing to do to let the Devils keep their pick

The team is have financial issues due to debt on the arena and if the League wants (and they should) teams do well it might be better to not kick them in the balls when they're down

I don't expect the pick to be reinstated and part of me knows it's the right thing to

The other part of me thinks that the Devils just got majorly screwed and deserve a bit of a break

Do Make Say Think is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 07:50 PM
  #240
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 29,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reg Season SC View Post
Terrible contract, it might be an awful few seasons but over the long term this is the best thing the Devils could have hoped for.

They could try to squeeze a draft pick back out of it and it might work.

As for the speculation about the KHL and his next contact, pretty hilarious. Maybe it's just me but Puck Daddy and all the KHL-lovers need a serious reality check. $20 million ? No. $10 million? Possibly but I doubt it.

The $20 million number is particularly funny. He's not making as much as soccer superstars - that's for sure.

He's 30, which isn't old but it's not young for a goalscorer either. And New Jersey has a problem on its hands - Kovalchuk leaves for home, Clarkson leaves for home, Parise leaves for home. LOL.
Bobrovsky... BOB was offered 10 mil. Kovalchuk is good friends with a billionaire back home. Him getting 15-20 is not out of the question.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now  
Old
07-11-2013, 07:52 PM
  #241
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?
 
Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,852
vCash: 500
The NHL is not, nor should be, in the business of doing favors.

If the Devils are looking for pity points they need to get in line, it's lengthy.

Powdered Toast Man is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 07:56 PM
  #242
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW
 
Neil Patrick Harris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,944
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hands View Post
Dude just pulled a Alfie
Hey now, he just retired.

I wish Alfie had pulled a Kovalchuk, rather than an Alfie.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 07:58 PM
  #243
WillyBilly1990
Registered User
 
WillyBilly1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I honestly think it would be the right thing to do to let the Devils keep their pick

The team is have financial issues due to debt on the arena and if the League wants (and they should) teams do well it might be better to not kick them in the balls when they're down

I don't expect the pick to be reinstated and part of me knows it's the right thing to

The other part of me thinks that the Devils just got majorly screwed and deserve a bit of a break
They broke the rules you gotta pay for that maybe let them have the 30th but nothing more

WillyBilly1990 is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 07:58 PM
  #244
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 29,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
Hey now, he just retired.

I wish Alfie had pulled a Kovalchuk, rather than an Alfie.
Agreed.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now  
Old
07-11-2013, 08:03 PM
  #245
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
This is like the equivalent of Spezza retiring.

I feel for Devil fans.
It is worse then losing Spezza. Kovy averaged more ice time then Any of their D-Men! He played their 1st AND second PP on the point. He played on their PK and made it the largest offensive threat of any PK in the NHL since he joined the Devils.

Kovalchuk is essentially a PMD on the PP as well as their #1 winger.

Kovalchuk is the most irreplaceable player in the NHL probably.

Sens Rule is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 08:04 PM
  #246
Senscore
The Superior B-Side
 
Senscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
The NHL is not, nor should be, in the business of doing favors.

If the Devils are looking for pity points they need to get in line, it's lengthy.
This is for 2003 and denying Roger Nielsen a Cup.

Senscore is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 08:06 PM
  #247
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader
 
Ether Prodigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Bobrovsky... BOB was offered 10 mil. Kovalchuk is good friends with a billionaire back home. Him getting 15-20 is not out of the question.
I doubt he was offered 10 million dollars. It was a rumor. I'm sure he got a nice offer but I really, really, really doubt it was 10 million.

He knows a lot of wealthy people in Russia who are semi-interested in hockey so maybe 10-15 is not out of the question.

Ether Prodigy is online now  
Old
07-11-2013, 08:16 PM
  #248
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 23,312
vCash: 500
So I go to bed and all is (relatively) normal in the hockey universe.

I wake up, and Ilya Kovalchuk is retiring.



.... WHAT THE HELL, MANG?!?

There's like 180 pages of threads on the main boards... can anyone give me a concise Coles Notes version on what happened?

BonkTastic is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 08:22 PM
  #249
WORLDSTARHIPHOP
Stone 4 Calder
 
WORLDSTARHIPHOP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Farhaven
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
So I go to bed and all is (relatively) normal in the hockey universe.

I wake up, and Ilya Kovalchuk is retiring.



.... WHAT THE HELL, MANG?!?

There's like 180 pages of threads on the main boards... can anyone give me a concise Coles Notes version on what happened?
-Lockout
-Kovy plays in SKA
-Lockout ends
-Kovy decides he liked playing at SKA
-Kovy realizes he earns more money at SKA while being in his own country
-Kovy retires to get of his contract and play for SKA
-Devils are ****ed and functionally lost Parise, Clarkson, and 2 first rounders for nothing.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 08:25 PM
  #250
DJB
Registered User
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,446
vCash: 50
Are people seriously going to continue to say there is no Russian factor?


DJB is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.