HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Detroit Red Wings Have Me Excited Again!

Old
07-10-2013, 01:01 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
The Detroit Red Wings Have Me Excited Again!

http://lastwordonsports.com/detroit-red-wings-have-me-excited-again/

Quote:
Feelings of exctiment, passion, and impatience is what was missing from last year’s off-season, likely the result of a dissapoitning loss to the Predators and another early exit. While that was hard enough to swallow we also were hit with a huge bombshell that was Nicklas Lidström’s retirement. We always had a feeling it would come sooner or later, but it really did come all too soon...

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

I'd be real excited if Cleary was not brought back and Sammy sent packing.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:26 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

My enthusiasm for the upcoming season is predicated on Cleary not returning and Abdelkader not playing in the top six. Hard to be excited when you have a piece of garbage stapled next to Datsyuk's wing and another old and washed up veteran wasting a roster spot for three years.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:30 PM
RedWingsForPresident

Getting Alfredsson and Weiss really changed my perspective on this upcoming season.

Shows that we're still willing to spend and get some good Free Agents in Detroit.

Also, Alfredsson is on a mission for a championship and so is Weiss, just not as much with having many years left. Shows that we're going to push hard for these guys to win a Cup, especially Alffie.

Hopefully we can see Zetterberg immediatley hand the Cup to Alffie next June

RedWingsForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Detroit Sports
NMC aka LOL -Jimmy H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
I'd be real excited if Cleary was not brought back and Sammy sent packing.
Can you make a post without the word Cleary in it? Maybe if you lay off him we don't resign that bum. You might jinx it.

Detroit Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Shoalzie

I'm probably more excited/intrigued by the Weiss signing than Alfredsson...going to compare him to Flip in Tampa all year long. The Wings might finally have a legit 2nd line for the first time probably since the recent back-to-back finals teams.

What annoys me is having damn near ten bottom 6 forwards on the roster. A healthy (and effective) Helm is going to be a huge boost though.

I think the emergence of Andersson, Nyquist and Tatar have probably changed Kenny's plans but he's still saddled with Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Eaves and Tootoo (and likely Cleary) because there are just too many forwards. Normally, not a problem for teams but not when they're either young and unproven or old and past their prime.

His approach still seems to be where you stick with the vets even though the youth movement gives this team such a shot in the arm. It's funny that he's not afraid to go with young guys on defense but god forbid, you play a forward under the age of 23.

Shoalzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:59 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
I'm probably more excited/intrigued by the Weiss signing than Alfredsson...going to compare him to Flip in Tampa all year long. The Wings might finally have a legit 2nd line for the first time probably since the recent back-to-back finals teams.

What annoys me is having damn near ten bottom 6 forwards on the roster. A healthy (and effective) Helm is going to be a huge boost though.

I think the emergence of Andersson, Nyquist and Tatar have probably changed Kenny's plans but he's still saddled with Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Eaves and Tootoo (and likely Cleary) because there are just too many forwards. Normally, not a problem for teams but not when they're either young and unproven or old and past their prime.

His approach still seems to be where you stick with the vets even though the youth movement gives this team such a shot in the arm. It's funny that he's not afraid to go with young guys on defense but god forbid, you play a forward under the age of 23.
Not just a legitimate second line, but I really think a part of the problem the last couple seasons was a pretty much toothless second PP unit. I don't think we are talking about that a lot. We should be able to role two legitimate units that can do damage keep the pressure up and really wear on teams.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Chance on Chance

This teams looking up now with the twins together and what could be a solid scoring 3rd line

Chance on Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:36 PM
we like our team

filppula - zetterberg - hudler was a legit second line...

we like our team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Nyquist

I'm super excited. We solved our two biggest needs on offense imo, and the defense will be ok as long as Howard is there.

Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:42 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braille View Post
filppula - zetterberg - hudler was a legit second line...
It was really our first line anyway.

The second PP unit wasn't very good, admittedly better than last year, but still had problems.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance on Chance View Post
This teams looking up now with the twins together and what could be a solid scoring 3rd line
I'd prefer to split em up. Dat's needs a sniper/elite goal scorer to pass to. It would be nice to have 1 real good PP unit and another pretty good unit. Instead of an ineffective and useless units.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

I wonder how our goaltending duo is going to play out this year... Gus never really got back to back starts if I recall correctly, so it's hard to judge him from a half season. It's probably best that we don't start Howard 65 games unless we're really in a bind.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:03 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
I wonder how our goaltending duo is going to play out this year... Gus never really got back to back starts if I recall correctly, so it's hard to judge him from a half season. It's probably best that we don't start Howard 65 games unless we're really in a bind.
A little tired of Howard's work rate, even if he is a work horse type #1. We need to get him some relief, of course the move east will help him, less time in airplanes and less wear and tear on the body.

Part of what I would always say about Brodeur, yes it is still extremely impressive that the guy started virtually every game for a bunch of seasons. But it was easier considering the travel load Jersey has.

This is a part of why I think Rinne finally went down to injuries, that guy just plays too much. Playing for the Preds also isn't an easy travel situation to start 70 games.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:08 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsForPresident View Post
Getting Alfredsson and Weiss really changed my perspective on this upcoming season.

Shows that we're still willing to spend and get some good Free Agents in Detroit.

Also, Alfredsson is on a mission for a championship and so is Weiss, just not as much with having many years left. Shows that we're going to push hard for these guys to win a Cup, especially Alffie.

Hopefully we can see Zetterberg immediatley hand the Cup to Alffie next June
The cup should go Zetterberg -> Datsyuk -> Alfie if we win the cup.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
I'll be thrilled if we make it to the WCF. As constituted the Wings are not yet a LEGIT SCF contender IMO.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Todd Bertuzzi pretty much will be on the TOP3. It would be his first one and he has pretty long Red Wing history.

2008 the 2nd one after Lidström was Dallas Drake.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:46 PM
14ari13

Quote:
I'll be thrilled if we make it to the WCF. As constituted the Wings are not yet a LEGIT SCF contender IMO.
We were one goal, one period, one win away of knocking out the Hawks.
We seem stronger going into the NeXT season.

I am too excited about this team. Moving East also might be much easier for us for several reasons.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
We were one goal, one period, one win away of knocking out the Hawks.
We seem stronger going into the NeXT season.

I am too excited about this team. Moving East also might be much easier for us for several reasons.
I agree. It'll be easier to gauge my expectations once the roster is finalized.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:52 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Nope really comes down to Bert or Alfie, but both will touch the cup before Datsyuk. In fact really good chance Howard touches it before Datsyuk in terms of stars getting us there. And yes I did just call Howard a star, but lets be honest if we win the Cup he is likely to be a front and center story and it will be his first. Keep in mind Datsyuk is the kind of guy that won't care either, this will be his third cup if it happens. But both Bert and Alfie will touch the thing immediately. I think the stranger thing is it's a forgone conclusion Alfie will touch it first could see the Wings giving Bertuzzi that honor even over Alfie.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Yzerberg

Quote:
I'd prefer to split em up. Dat's needs a sniper/elite goal scorer to pass to. It would be nice to have 1 real good PP unit and another pretty good unit. Instead of an ineffective and useless units.
I like them better separated too. I'd rather see a top six something like....

Mule/Dats/Afie
Hank/Weiss/Goose

Probably too early to be talking about who is first hand-off with the Cup but it should be Bert.

Yzerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:03 PM
irishock
LMAO pre-90s NHL

vCash: 50
We should be figuring out how to compete with Boston and Toronto right now instead of thinking about the Cup already. If we re-sign Cleary and do nothing else, 2nd round exit at the very best.

irishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
My enthusiasm for the upcoming season is predicated on Cleary not returning and Abdelkader not playing in the top six. Hard to be excited when you have a piece of garbage stapled next to Datsyuk's wing and another old and washed up veteran wasting a roster spot for three years.
I don't neccessarily love Abdelkader in the top 6, but is it really a big deal if he is playing on a line with both Datsyuk AND Zetterberg? Those guys don't need a talented 3rd wheel, they have each other. Didn't they both put up 100 pts with Holmstrom on their line, IIRC?

I know you're strongly against him in the top 6, but in this circumstance I really think it's not a big deal. Those 2 have enough magic together to where they just need a big body to get them the puck then go stand in front of the net. That's all Homer did, and that line worked awesome.

Abby in the top 6 last year was worse because we weren't as deep IMO. I really don't mind it if he's playing with those 2.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
I don't neccessarily love Abdelkader in the top 6, but is it really a big deal if he is playing on a line with both Datsyuk AND Zetterberg? Those guys don't need a talented 3rd wheel, they have each other. Didn't they both put up 100 pts with Holmstrom on their line, IIRC?

I know you're strongly against him in the top 6, but in this circumstance I really think it's not a big deal. Those 2 have enough magic together to where they just need a big body to get them the puck then go stand in front of the net. That's all Homer did, and that line worked awesome.

Abby in the top 6 last year was worse because we weren't as deep IMO. I really don't mind it if he's playing with those 2.
Homer is talented though. A guy that slow doesn't play in the NHL unless he's got some other tremendous skills.

Beyond his obvious net front skills, he had very good hockey sense. When he wasn't in front of the net, he was in the right place because he could see the play intelligently. He always knew how to get the puck back to guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg and had the passing skills to do it. He wasn't bad on the boards either. Frequently came up with the puck and quickly dished it back to D/Z so they could do their magic stuff.

More than anything else, D/Z need *smart* hockey players who know where to go to benefit from the incredible intelligence that those two guys have.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:35 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Honestly -- to me --
a Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson line is basically the same as
Franzen-Flip-Brunner

One line has more experience. One line has more youth. But stylistically and production wise, I see little difference.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote