HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending 2013-2014

Old
07-07-2013, 07:12 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Goaltending 2013-2014

What does Labarbera or Bachman do for Edmonton? Are you satisfied with a tandem of LaBarbera-Bachman if Dubnyk gets injured?

What are your opinions on the goaltending situation in Edmonton today?

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:15 PM
timekeep

vCash: 500
Not happy with the goaltending situation at all, including DD. Weakest part of the team going forward.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Tommy35

Goaltenting is our biggest concern going into this season as long as DD is our #1. I actually can see Labarbera taken that # 1 role from DD and even at that? Yes we need help between the pipes if we are serious about, at least, making the playoffs

Tommy35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:26 PM
aqib

I'm holding out hope that with improved play out of our D it may make life easier for Dubnyk.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:03 PM
oilexport

Well, no real upgrade so I would say It could be better. Some good younger goalies that we failed to make deals for. Year after year this happens, and we can't even develop enough of them ourselves.

Gotta hope the Team in front of DD is better and it should be but we needed to upgrade this position. Mac-T gets the fail grade on this one. Gonna blame K-Lowe too cause he should have been fired long ago.

Small chance that DD and one of the back-ups combine to make us better but yet another question mark heading into the season....once again.

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Oil Gauge

I'm fine with DD and Lababara, Its not the best tandum by far, but I think they can get us into the playoffs if the rest of the team plays good enough. Don't think they will hurt us.

Hope Dubby takes another step forward this year.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:59 PM
skorf

DD is an above average starter in the NHL. He is a better option then Smith, Bryzgalov, Miller, or Backstrom and most other goalies out on the market.

sure he lets in the occasional weak one, but ALL goalies do, look at Quick in the playoffs even and he's a top 5 goalie in the world right now.

He is 27 years old, his numbers have improved each year, and to be honest a lot of goalies don't reach their full potential until their 30's.

I don't want to use stats, but he was #12 in SV% in the league last year with a bottom five defense in front of him. Edmonton faced the second most shots out of anyone so his GAA isn't in the top but no goalie would be top in GAA facing that many shots.

Watching him you can tell he can still improve, but he's already an above average NHL goalie... who else could we get that is better then him. I guess Schneider but Gillis wouldn't allow that but there is no one out there that's a better option.

As for the backup spot. I like signing both Labarbara and Bachman. They were both decent backups last year. This can provide a bit of competition and we can see who rises to the occasion.

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:11 AM
RoboNerdOK

vCash: 1050
Ugh, not this again... look, Dubnyk is a very good goalie who has been playing behind a horrible defense. Period. End of story.

But by all means, let's run him out of town like the rest of our talent.

RoboNerdOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:32 AM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboNerdOK View Post
Ugh, not this again... look, Dubnyk is a very good goalie who has been playing behind a horrible defense. Period. End of story.

But by all means, let's run him out of town like the rest of our talent.
The Oilers defence was undeniably weak in front of Dubnyk last season. He did have more than a few mental lapses and bad goals.

Hopefully, the D play improves under Eakins.

Ference was a nice addition, but won't dramatically improve the D without other changes.

J. Schultz had a decent rookie season, but needs to strive to be more consistent. Smid also needs to work on his consistency. It would be great if Eakins' reputation for fostering young players helps these two improve their overall games. It would be nice to see Belov turn out to be a reliable 5/6 guy.

If all that comes together than this is the true test for Dubnyk. No excuses for the mental lapses.

I've had my doubts about Dubnyk, but would love to be proven wrong. Please prove me wrong Doobie!

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:47 AM
HopelessOilFan

I don't have a problem with DD as the number one.

He lets in the odd weak goal, but so does every goalie. His ability to bounce back is the most important thing, and he's great at that. He can play an absolute stinker of a game, but come back the next day and look like an elite goaltender.

Our d was embarrassing last year, but even still he had respectable stats.

This will be his 5th season in the nhl, and he has gotten better in every single one. He may not be the best goalie in the league, and he does have his flaws, but he is not the oilers biggest problem right now.

Lets shore up the D a bit, and see how he does then.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:49 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
I really hope Dubnyk works out the kinks in his game. The only way he can do that is by playing.

He seems to be on the rise, but how far up is his plateau?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:34 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Dubnyk should flourish if Eakins can get a proper defensive scheme going here.
If Labarbera is good for 20 games we're okay.
I don't think Bachman is NHL-ready.

I'd also be good for bringing Labarbera off the bench for shootouts if Dubnyk can't find his groove.

If dubnyk regresses I think we need to hunt for starter candidates next summer. This is his year to take the job or lose it.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:30 AM
surshot*

Obviously its a do or die year for Dubnyk. Would of preferred someone better then Labarbra to push Dubnyk but Labarbra is a proven NHL option. This Bachman kid could surprise as well.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:35 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Dubnyk is a fine starter. Gives us a chance to win pretty much every night, cant ask for more.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:39 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Not worried about that. Worried more about depth at center and LW.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:40 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Patrick Roy in his prime couldn't have done much better with the garbage team DD was playing behind last season. Let's wait until there's a competent group out on the ice and see how he plays before we run Dubby out of town.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:34 AM
TheOtherScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Dubnyk should flourish if Eakins can get a proper defensive scheme going here.
If Labarbera is good for 20 games we're okay.
Agreed on both counts. Dubnyk's workload last season was very high with our D allowing as many shots as they did and he still had a save percentage at 920.

TheOtherScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:43 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Couple things, one I don't really know why people are going worse case scenario with if DD gets hurt. If we had Rask would we have a better #2 and #3? Probably not. So that complaint is kinda pointless at this point.

As for Labarbra and Bachman. I don't mind it. I really like Bachman for OKC. Still young enough that there is potential for this guys to prove himself and become a piece of this team going forward. Labarbra I don't know that he was the best candidate for the job, but I don't think he is the worse. But having him and Dubnyk being good buddies is a good thing.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:18 AM
hockeyjack89
R.I.P. Thrashers

I like Bachman but not Labarbera as much. Still both great goalies. Dubnyk is definitely IMO the best of the three.

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:23 AM
coachnoodles
Rookie User

I've seen enough from DD thus far that makes me happy to go with him as the main man this year. With an improved D he should look better. If he's garbage then look for help at the deadline.

Labarbra is fine as a backup for what we are paying him though i'm not sure i'd want him starting large portions of the season is DD went down injured.

coachnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:04 AM
taunting canadian

So some perspective to keep in mind: LaBarbera was considered good enough by the Coyotes to be the top backup for an NHL club last season (and the season before). Bachman was also considered good enough by the Stars to be the top backup for an NHL club last season (and the season before). Yeah, they're backups. Bachman had kind of weak statistics last season, although on the flipside Labarbera had very strong stats for a backup.

I guess my point is, if the implication is that the Oilers backups are insufficient, the evidence we have shows otherwise - 2 different clubs considered them sufficient for the past 2+ seasons. Yeah, if the top goalie goes down to injury, that won't be an ideal situation, but that's just the nature of the game. If Lehtonen or Smith went down last year or the year before, exact same story.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:53 AM
Joey Moss

If Dubnyk doesn't take another step this season he needs to go. Out of the few solid moves Tambellini made for this team, Dubnyk's 2 year deal is one of them. It was the perfect amount of term to see who he really is.

I'm also not a fan of the Labarbera signing. He's a weak backup that thrives on teams with a very good #1. Dubnyk is not that yet. All this time MacTavish (and even Tambellini) have been talking about getting a goalie to push Dubnyk and this signing was a major letdown to me. Khudobin made way more sense and he even went to Carolina for cheaper!

I'm not confident in our goalies at all. At this point I'm just hoping Dubnyk proves me wrong. Goaltending will be very interesting in 2014 when all three of Dubnyk, Labarbera and Bachman are UFA's. Especially with Lundqvist, Miller, Hiller, Halak, and Crawford possibly being UFA's.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote