HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Devils vs Islanders vs Rangers

View Poll Results: Which one and which order?
Devils, Islanders, Rangers 19 8.68%
Devils, Rangers, Islanders 29 13.24%
Rangers, Devils, Islanders 32 14.61%
Rangers, Islanders, Devils 93 42.47%
Islanders, Devils, Rangers 7 3.20%
Islanders, Rangers, Devils 39 17.81%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Not sure why the Rangers are getting so much love in this thread.
The Islanders and Rangers were essentially even last year.
In a 48 game schedule, the way the divisions are now the Isles wouldn't have even been in the playoffs. Rangers were 3-0-1 against the Isles last year.

Quote:
The Rangers lose Clowe/Gaborik while the Islanders are mostly net neutral from last year.
Clowe did nothing for us but get hurt, Gaborik netted us depth on D and C. Saying the Isles are net neutral with their D looking like it is and needing improvement is not a good thing

Quote:
They also aren't going to punt 5 games to DP like last year which can only help
Nabokov looked horrible in the playoffs, Is Poulin ready to be a #1?

Last edited by Championship*: 07-12-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

G - Rangers, Devils, Isles
D - Rangers, Devils, Isles
F - Isles, Rangers, Devils (edge goes to Isles b/c of Tavares, but it's not that far off. Would have ranked the same way pre-kovalchuk)

Last edited by Championship*: 07-12-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old
07-12-2013, 08:14 AM
dspbathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
In a 48 game schedule, the way the divisions are now the Isles wouldn't have even been in the playoffs. Rangers were 3-0-1 against the Isles last year.

Clowe did nothing for us but get hurt, Gaborik netted us depth on D and C. Saying the Isles are net neutral with their D looking like it is and needing improvement is not a good thing

Hey it's been a while since we've had so few weak areas

dspbathroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:25 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:

Rangers offense looked horrible in the playoffs AND the regular season. Nabokov looked horrible, yes, but he was also going up against the Pens.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Rangers offense looked horrible in the playoffs AND the regular season. Nabokov looked horrible, yes, but he was also going up against the Pens.
Nabokov is one year older now. He's not getting any better and it's not just the playoffs he didn't play we'll.

Torts doesn't work in NY anymore. Lets see what AV can get out of this offense.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspbathroom View Post
Hey it's been a while since we've had so few weak areas
Eventually that will get there as well with Reinhart and Pulock. De Haan would be great as well if he wasn't hurt all the time. Hamonic and AMac are great as well.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:16 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Nabokov is one year older now. He's not getting any better and it's not just the playoffs he didn't play we'll.

Torts doesn't work in NY anymore. Lets see what AV can get out of this offense.
Technically not true.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Devilsfan118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan118 View Post
It's going to be a VERY exciting season, with all 3 NY metro area teams having very competitive teams.

Can't freakin wait for the season to start.
Whoops.

Can I change my vote now.

Devilsfan118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I guess the Isles/Devils are interchangeable, but Rangers are clearly ahead IMO.
Maybe interchangeable because they're passing each other while one is on the way up and the other is on the way down. Right now, Devils top 6 are

Elias-Zajac-Clowe
???-Henrique-Ryder

Zajac and Henrique made their muffins with far more dynamic wingers than they have now. I don't know how that looks great to anyone. Add to that a goaltending situation with two starters...

I agree than the Rangers are ahead of the Islanders, mostly due to goaltending. It will be really interesting what happens with the Rangers this year. They'll be under the most pressure to get off to a great start. How they respond will mean everything.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:21 PM
lboogie42*

damn you kovalchuk.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Maybe interchangeable because they're passing each other while one is on the way up and the other is on the way down. Right now, Devils top 6 are

Elias-Zajac-Clowe
???-Henrique-Ryder

Zajac and Henrique made their muffins with far more dynamic wingers than they have now. I don't know how that looks great to anyone. Add to that a goaltending situation with two starters...

I agree than the Rangers are ahead of the Islanders, mostly due to goaltending. It will be really interesting what happens with the Rangers this year. They'll be under the most pressure to get off to a great start. How they respond will mean everything.
their forward group is largely mediocre, but they added a .930 sv% goalie on already one of the top teams at preventing shots against. not sure how that'll be since they let go off Clarkson, who was one of their top puck possession players.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:43 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Not sure why the Rangers are getting so much love in this thread. The Islanders and Rangers were essentially even last year. The Rangers lose Clowe/Gaborik while the Islanders are mostly net neutral from last year. They also aren't going to punt 5 games to DP like last year which can only help
The Rangers were a much better team after they dumped Gaborik for Moore, Brassard and Dorsett.

We also missed Dorsett for the regular season, didn't have Staal and Hagelin/Callahan were each playing with one arm.

So while we didn't technically "add" many pieces of value, a healthy group and adding in some very good prospects like Kreider and Miller, I really think we're going to be a lot better than last year. If anyone watched the team last season, our biggest issue was finding help from our bottom 6. We had 2 lines that were relevant and the rest were trash.

We fixed that issue, to the point of over signing guys. It's a very deep team now and with AV at the helm we will be much more offensively oriented.

Say what you want, but last season was a bad year for us with injuries. If we stay healthy this year, this team will be back to one of the best in the East.

And losing Ryan Clowe hahahaha. All 2 games he scored in were so vital to our success last season. Guy is done.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:02 AM
blueowl2
Canes & Bucs

I chose Rangers, Devils, Islanders.

I think Rangers will finish with more points than the other two, but between the Devils and Isles that is another toss up.

blueowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:23 PM
msv957

The Rangers are the much better team than the Isles and Devils. It's not even close. Lots of injuries last year hurt the Rangers. This team with a new coach could be a top seed in the east.

Besides Tavares, I don't see much talent on the Isles. The Isles over a long 82 season could struggle to get a playoff spot

Losing Kovy hurts the Devils but they still have some real good players. I can see the Devils still getting a playoffs spot.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:30 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
The Rangers are the much better team than the Isles and Devils. It's not even close. Lots of injuries last year hurt the Rangers. This team with a new coach could be a top seed in the east.

Besides Tavares, I don't see much talent on the Isles. The Isles over a long 82 season could struggle to get a playoff spot

Losing Kovy hurts the Devils but they still have some real good players. I can see the Devils still getting a playoffs spot.
lol what a joke of a post.

You don't see much talent on the Isles? Lots of injuries last year hurt the rangers? You mean one injury, right? Staal.

Last edited by 19NYSports91: 07-13-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old
07-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
lol what a joke of a post.

You don't see much talent on the Isles? Lots of injuries last year hurt the rangers? You mean one injury, right? Staal.
Staal was a gigantic injury for us. Callahan and Hagelin had labrum tears.

Old
07-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Virtanen2Horvat
Radim Vrbata #17

vCash: 447
The only reason why I think the Devils will be second is because of Schneider and Brodeur's goaltending. Otherwise if that fails they are dead last.

Virtanen2Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:31 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Staal was a gigantic injury for us. Callahan and Hagelin had labrum tears.
Yes, obviously Staal was a big loss, he was having a great year. Callahan and Hagelin only lost 3 games combined though.

That's not even the reason why I said it was a joke of a post. People think Tavares is the only good player on the team, it's nonsense. Saying the Rangers are a much better team and it's not even close is questionable. How about we see what the new coach does with the team first.

Old
07-13-2013, 08:37 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Yes, obviously Staal was a big loss, he was having a great year. Callahan and Hagelin only lost 3 games combined though.

That's not even the reason why I said it was a joke of a post. People think Tavares is the only good player on the team, it's nonsense.
Callahan and Hagelin both played with torn labrums requiring surgery. Callahan's occurred in January. Injuries that require a player to sit out are not the only types of injuries.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 480
Quote:

Who cares what the divisions will be like next year, the Isles made the playoffs based on what was there, not what wasn't. Then the circumstances would change for everyone and the games are different. It's stupid to suggest that. And for the Rangers going 3-0-1, that's nice but let's also realize that other then the 4-1 loss in the first game, the last three went to OT/SO, that record is hardly representative of how the games were played.

Nabokov did look horrible in the playoffs. But he also played 41 of the 48 regular season games and was probably burnt at that point. I believe he was second in wins. Give him Poulin instead of Ricky (who killed us in every game he played in, literally) to back him up and he gets more breathers. Either way, if he's ass in the playoffs he's a playoff no show then, we can still ride his regular season success in there.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:

That's not even the reason why I said it was a joke of a post. People think Tavares is the only good player on the team, it's nonsense. Saying the Rangers are a much better team and it's not even close is questionable. How about we see what the new coach does with the team first.
I don't agree with the poster who said there is little talent on the Islanders, but the Rangers are a better team and the difference isn't negligible.

As for those injuries, see azroks post below.

Old
07-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Who cares what the divisions will be like next year, the Isles made the playoffs based on what was there, not what wasn't. Then the circumstances would change for everyone and the games are different. It's stupid to suggest that. And for the Rangers going 3-0-1, that's nice but let's also realize that other then the 4-1 loss in the first game, the last three went to OT/SO, that record is hardly representative of how the games were played.

Nabokov did look horrible in the playoffs. But he also played 41 of the 48 regular season games and was probably burnt at that point. I believe he was second in wins. Give him Poulin instead of Ricky (who killed us in every game he played in, literally) to back him up and he gets more breathers. Either way, if he's ass in the playoffs he's a playoff no show then, we can still ride his regular season success in there.
You should care what the divisions will be like next year. It's going to be harder for teams to make the playoffs.

Wins are wins. You can spin it anyway you want but the Rangers didn't have a regulation loss against the Islanders once last year.

Poulin hasn't proven anything yet. Nabokov is one year older, 38 years old. How will he fair in the full season?

Old
07-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1400
I just wonder how 22 people could possibly think the Rangers will be the last of the three.

07-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 480
Quote:
You should care what the divisions will be like next year. It's going to be harder for teams to make the playoffs.

Wins are wins. You can spin it anyway you want but the Rangers didn't have a regulation loss against the Islanders once last year.

Poulin hasn't proven anything yet. Nabokov is one year older, 38 years old. How will he fair in the full season?
You said the Isles wouldn't have made the playoffs if the divisions were how they are designed for this upcoming season. You don't know that. You have no idea how it would have played out, no one does.

Agreed, but to throw out the 3-0-1 record like it has any bearing on next year or how the games went down doesn't mean much to me.

No he hasn't and I don't know. But I believe Poulin is at the age and has had the proper development in the AHL to be a quality back up. In a normal season, maybe not as normal with the olympics but still better than the 48 game schedule, Poulin will be able to give Nabby the rest he needs which will definitely serve him better. Ricky couldn't be put out there because he was outright terrible and lost us games we wish we had back. That liability is gone for next season.

Just throwing in that you want to question goaltending, that's fine but know that despite his playoffs and age, I believe Nabokov is a good starting goalie. Good. That's it. He definitely has the ability to get hot given his March-April record. He has the teams confidence. He also now doesn't have to be a work horse playing 85% of the teams games, which surely would only better him.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
You said the Isles wouldn't have made the playoffs if the divisions were how they are designed for this upcoming season. You don't know that. You have no idea how it would have played out, no one does.

Agreed, but to throw out the 3-0-1 record like it has any bearing on next year or how the games went down doesn't mean much to me.

No he hasn't and I don't know. But I believe Poulin is at the age and has had the proper development in the AHL to be a quality back up. In a normal season, maybe not as normal with the olympics but still better than the 48 game schedule, Poulin will be able to give Nabby the rest he needs which will definitely serve him better. Ricky couldn't be put out there because he was outright terrible and lost us games we wish we had back. That liability is gone for next season.

Just throwing in that you want to question goaltending, that's fine but know that despite his playoffs and age, I believe Nabokov is a good starting goalie. Good. That's it. He definitely has the ability to get hot given his March-April record. He has the teams confidence. He also now doesn't have to be a work horse playing 85% of the teams games, which surely would only better him.
especially considering 2 of those games were won in OT (Gaborik and Girardi OT goals).

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote