HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Blues acquire Magnus Pääjärvi & 2nd for David Perron

Old
07-10-2013, 05:15 PM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacain View Post
MPS is an RFA, isn't he? That number isn't set in stone.

Overall though, I'd still take this scenario. We traded a 25 year old underachiever who doesn't fit our system, for a 22 year old who does, and got a 2nd out of it. Is Perron gonna succeed in Edmonton? Hopefully. I like Perron. But I think MPS is gonna end up being viewed as the best player in this trade, or at minimum, a lot closer then it looks now.
I've got no problem if you liked the moves made. Differences of opinion. But you challenged the people who didn't like the trade/moves to give you something reasonable; I was trying to do just that. Right now, no one knows how the moves will work out and whether it will benefit the Blues short and long term, but I don't think its unreasonable for someone to take either position.

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Novacain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
The hypocrisy is hilarious here. Two months ago when I voiced an opinion on acquiring Paajarvi, you all pointed out his invisible potential, and how we shouldn't trade a top six winger for him and a pick.

Here we are, trading a top six winger and a pick for Paajarvi and suddenly its a good idea?

I've wanted this to happen for a while and I've made that pretty clear. But now you guys are all for this move? At least be like Hooligan who hated it then and hates it now.
2 months ago we needed a top 6 Center and thought we'd have enough money to re-sign all 4 RFA's. Circumstances change. Get off your high horse.

Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
The hypocrisy is hilarious here. Two months ago when I voiced an opinion on acquiring Paajarvi, you all pointed out his invisible potential, and how we shouldn't trade a top six winger for him and a pick.

Here we are, trading a top six winger and a pick for Paajarvi and suddenly its a good idea?

I've wanted this to happen for a while and I've made that pretty clear. But now you guys are all for this move? At least be like Hooligan who hated it then and hates it now.
I don't recall us ever discussing the idea of getting PRV, but I may be in the minority there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I want Perron to get 30 goals but Edmonton to finish in the lottery again (for sake of the 2nd rounder).
I'd rather see Perron get 25 goals, PRV pot 15-20 goals, and Edmonton finish in the lottery.

Oberyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Novacain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco5886 View Post
I've got no problem if you liked the moves made. Differences of opinion. But you challenged the people who didn't like the trade/moves to give you something reasonable; I was trying to do just that. Right now, no one knows how the moves will work out and whether it will benefit the Blues short and long term, but I don't think its unreasonable for someone to take either position.
To be fair, that was more aimed at the people who also badmouthed the Roy move, and tore it apart as indefensible from moment one. But yes, that is a fair scenario, I'll give you that.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Oilers fan here. You guys win this trade. You're going to love this kid. He's one of the hardest workers in the league and has a great attitude, always doing exactly what coaches/management ask of him. The team sent him down, he took it like an opportunity to work on his game instead of a demotion. The team tells him to learn how to drive the net, he does exactly that and ends up getting 9 goals in the last 25-30 games. Really bummed about losing him.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:19 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 600
Quote:

You have to acknowledge that the salary cap situation the Blues are in now wasn't part of the equation a couple months ago. I'd prefer the Blues to put the best team on the ice for this coming season possible. All other things being equal, I think next season's Perron > MPS. But for the salary cap space it granted and the potential down the road (most importantly for the salary structure that allows for a potential Stastny type guy next year) I think this is the right move.

I've liked MPS since the WJC. I think he's a great fit. You're right about that. But there is a lot more information now when evaluating this trade than the one you mentioned several weeks ago.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:22 PM
sepHF
Patreeky

Just for the record Perron scored ONE more goal than Paajarvi last year... One...

for four times the salary.

You guys win this deal IMO. MPS has a great attitude (everytime he was sent to the AHL he didn't pout, he worked his ASS off to get better). Not only does he have a great attitude but he also has an impeccable work ethic.

Every open practice I've ever gone to MPS is the last player on the ice, working on his shot, skating, you name it - he's always out there last.

He wants to be better, and I felt like he really started to take some strides this last season.... This is a guy you can keep around for a decade on a decent contract who will fill your 3rd line LW role perfectly. He's also good enough with the puck that he can hop up into the top-6 in case of an injury and not hurt you at all.

I strongly feel like he has the potential to score 20 + goals a season.

MPS was my favourite Oiler and I've never liked Perron so you can imagine how much I'm liking this deal.

Enjoy MPS, treat him well... just a great person, who turns out is a pretty good player too.

Last edited by sepHF: 07-10-2013 at 05:28 PM.
sepHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:23 PM
illninofan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Just for the record Perron scored ONE more goal than Paajarvi last year... One...

With a lot less time, from what I can gather.

I hope I grow to like this move, though. Won't be surprised to see both sides winning this trade, though.

Both players could use a change of scenery from all indications.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Terror91
Lets Do It.

I'm not here saying "haha I called it you didn't." I'm saying my opinion of him never changed.

Two moths ago many of you were "he a bust with invisible potential" and now you're excited about his potential.

Terror91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Can someone tell me about Perron's puck possession game? We're sorely lacking at that at even strength, and just lost our biggest top 9 forward. Really hoping Perron can at least help our puck possession.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Novacain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

You guys win this deal IMO. MPS has a great attitude (everytime he was sent to the AHL he didn't pout, he worked his ASS off to get better). Not only does he have a great attitude but he also has an impeccable work ethic.

Every open practice I've ever gone to MPS is the last player on the ice, working on his shot, skating, you name it - he's always out there last.

He wants to be better, and I felt like he really started to take some strides this last season.... This is a guy you can keep around for a decade on a decent contract who will fill your 3rd line LW role perfectly. He's also good enough with the puck that he can hop up into the top-6 in case of an injury and not hurt you at all.

I strongly feel like he has the potential to score 20 + goals a season.

MPS was my favourite Oiler and I've never liked Perron so you can imagine how much I'm liking this deal.

Enjoy MPS, treat him well... just a great person, who turns out is a pretty good player too.
Sounds like another Steen, by your description. Can't have enough of those.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Can someone tell me about Perron's puck possession game? We're sorely lacking at that at even strength, and just lost our biggest top 9 forward. Really hoping Perron can at least help our puck possession.
He can possess the puck no doubt about; now making a play with it or passing it off when needed to is a different question.

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:34 PM
OCTA8ON*

Quote:
He can hold on to the puck better than anyone the Blues had last year. It sometimes lead to trouble, but he can tight turn and grip the puck for a good 25-30 seconds until he finds a play to be made.

OCTA8ON* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Brokenhead

Quote:
Sounds like another Steen, by your description. Can't have enough of those.
Steen is a great comparison, except Magnus is faster. I don't know if he will turn out as good as Steen but the potential is there and those Swedes are late bloomers.
Blues win this trade imo.

Brokenhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:35 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
You will be impressed at how strong he is on the puck, he's able to fight off bigger defenders because of his determination and surprising strength.

stlblues9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:36 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Completely hit and miss. He's good in puck battles. He can steal the puck in the neutral zone and then keep the puck on a string and get the other team running around in their own end. But then he can spend a month giving the puck away on ill-advised shots and failed attempts at fancy moves.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

I'll always remember Perron for this goal. What a beauty.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Sigh, sounds like he's got a good puck possession skillset but doesn't know how to use it properly. Hopefully we can put him next to our puck possession black hole Gagner, let Perron get the puck, and Gagner make the actual play.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:40 PM
mk80

I have mixed feelings on this trade:

On one hand I'm a little sad to see Perron go, however the potential that Paajarvi has interests me, I just hope he can break out to his potential soon.

But this is one of the first moves we have made that I am ok with.

mk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Sigh, sounds like he's got a good puck possession skillset but doesn't know how to use it properly. Hopefully we can put him next to our puck possession black hole Gagner, let Perron get the puck, and Gagner make the actual play.
I think he'd be better suited with RNH. But then again, if I had Hall on my team I'd prefer to have with play with my best center.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Louie the Blue
Because it's a trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk80 View Post
I have mixed feelings on this trade:

On one hand I'm a little sad to see Perron go, however the potential that Paajarvi has interests me, I just hope he can break out to his potential soon.

But this is one of the first moves we have made that I am ok with.
I feel similar to you, but a little different.

While I did think Perron would be on the move(either him or Halak), I didn't want it to happen. On the other hand, it clears space for Petro and Stewart while also acquiring a player with good potential. Granted, I don't know much about MPS, but what from Oilers fans have said about him, I am excited.

Edmonton is going to like what they have in Perron, assuming last season isn't his norm.

Louie the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Lord Helix
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
I'll always remember Perron for this goal. What a beauty.

I watched that video last night before I went and skated for a bit so I could learn it.

Lord Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:59 PM
simon in canada

Quote:
To be fair, that was more aimed at the people who also badmouthed the Roy move, and tore it apart as indefensible from moment one. But yes, that is a fair scenario, I'll give you that.
I love this trade. We just got bigger, younger, better defensively and probably faster. We even got a a 2nd as a bonus. The most important thing to me is that he fits our defense first system, a system that I fully endorse. It is also cost- efficient, which is important to a small market team like St. Louis. As for Roy, we signed a 5'9" center with a history of injuries who is not known for his defensive responsibility. He's costing us 4mil and Army put himself in a difficult cap situation, which may have compromised his trading leverage and options. Needlessly. You see you can't put as all in one category. I think the word "indefensible" is appropriate. I love the latest trade, loved the Laperriere signing, indifferent to the Aucoin signing and hate the Roy move.

simon in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Louie the Blue
Because it's a trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon in canada View Post
I love this trade. We just got bigger, younger, better defensively and probably faster. We even got a a 2nd as a bonus. The most important thing to me is that he fits our defense first system, a system that I fully endorse. It is also cost- efficient, which is important to a small market team like St. Louis. As for Roy, we signed a 5'9" center with a history of injuries who is not known for his defensive responsibility. He's costing us 4mil and Army put himself in a difficult cap situation, which may have compromised his trading leverage and options. Needlessly. You see you can't put as all in one category. I think the word "indefensible" is appropriate. I love the latest trade, loved the Laperriere signing, indifferent to the Aucoin signing and hate the Roy move.
The Roy signing was made, IMO, because of three things:

1. Armstrong went after Flippula and Weiss, both of whom took more money and years than Roy.

2. Roy appears to have been another option that Armstrong liked.

3. There's nothing to lose in this deal aside from $4 mil. spent in a single season. If Roy produces, he will have done what he was brought to do for the Blues, and that could lead to a longer contract with the Blues. If he doesn't, the Blues simply address the need for a center via trade or free agency.

There's no long term risk in this deal. The only thing it really impacted was some player having to be moved sooner rather than later because of all the RFAs the Blues had this season.

Louie the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Hooliganx3

Quote:
I'm not here saying "haha I called it you didn't." I'm saying my opinion of him never changed.

Two moths ago many of you were "he a bust with invisible potential" and now you're excited about his potential.
I still don't see him as more then a 3rd liner that will score in the 30 point range his talent is there but no hockey IQ at all. It's crappy value for Perron. IMO Armstrong screwed the deal. If we were going to get a player like him that player should have at least been a center.

Armstrong screwed up his share in Dallas he is not a flawless GM.

People don't seem to realize MPS has no hockey IQ. EDM fans never saw him being anything more then a good 3rd liner.

Last edited by Hooliganx3: 07-10-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Hooliganx3 is offline   Reply With Quote