HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec City to host preseason game (MTL/CAR)

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 12:03 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
You're not entitled to see whatever game you personally choose. Sheesh.
Hum, yeah I am, I just won't go...

Old
07-11-2013, 12:06 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Hum, yeah I am,
No, you aren't.

Quote:
I just won't go...
That's up to you.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:11 PM
GuelphStormer

sorry, why are y'all boycotting this?

Old
07-11-2013, 12:14 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
sorry, why are y'all boycotting this?
They has a mad that it's Carolina playing there and not the Avs, as best I can tell.

07-11-2013, 12:28 PM
LouisOlivier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
I wont be going, they are charging an arm and a leg to see the B (or sometimes C and D ) teams practice, especially since it's hard to root for either the Habs or the Sunbelt Whalers.

Now, I'm not saying it wont be fun for the Habs fans who go to the game, just that in my opinion a game where nobody plays to win isn't as fun as going to see the Remparts (or going to Ottawa to see the Sens).
I agree with this message.

I hate the habs and sunbelt team.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:43 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
THAT game I was interested in because it was the ex-Nords with still three players on the team. Seeing our rivals against a team I don't give a **** about, I find it close to insulting.
Forgive me, but as Jordan Staal's #1 fan, why wouldn't you want to see the Canes? I'd think you'd give at least one **** about his team.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:43 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
They has a mad that it's Carolina playing there and not the Avs, as best I can tell.
No, we are mad that the *** Habs are coming to our city when we have no team. Nothing to do with the Canes, we don't care about the Canes.

If it was the Avs, AT LEAST, there would be a connection to Quebec City: Sakic, Roy and the fact that they were the Nords once upon a time. Montreal and Carolina? We don't care about them. Montreal playing a yearly preseason game is already insulting enough, having them play a team that is COMPLETELY irrelevant to us is even worse. Nothing against the Canes though.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:44 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanginLikeaBiscuit View Post
Forgive me, but as Jordan Staal's #1 fan, why wouldn't you want to see the Canes? I'd think you'd give at least one **** about his team.
Because I am a Penguins fan that didn't change his username when Jordan was traded. Still love him, but never cared about the Canes.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:58 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
And it would have made no sense to put the team through that kind of travel in the preseason.

Personally, I'm not so crazy about preseason hockey that I want the team flying all over creation just to squeeze in a third home date.
That's probably why they're getting the money from the home game in QC. I suspect the league was pushing for this, and they needed to sweeten the pot to get a team to take more or less its entire preseason on the road, and make up for the lost game in their home arena. And Jim Rutherford, being in the inner circle of the old boys club, went along with the plan.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket

It has nothing to do with the Canes, it's just that following the Coyotes saga, this is insulting. Nobody cares about the Canes here, unlike say Pittsburgh/Boston/Tampa. This is a pure money grab. You're not gonna develop a market with a pre-season Habs-Canes game in QC.

They'll probably have 3-4 pre-season games next season as it'll be the last season before we get the new Colisee, managed by Québecor who will not let Bell hold events.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:29 PM
htpwn

It will be interesting to see how this sells after the debacle that was the Coyotes saga over the past few months.

Wouldn't blame Quebec fans at all for choosing to boycott.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:31 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
It has nothing to do with the Canes, it's just that following the Coyotes saga, this is insulting. Nobody cares about the Canes here, unlike say Pittsburgh/Boston/Tampa. This is a pure money grab. You're not gonna develop a market with a pre-season Habs-Canes game in QC.
Of course it's a money grab. That's why the NHL exists. It's not a charitable organization set out to make everyone happy, it's a business.

I'm sorry you guys didn't get the matchup you wanted, but that describes 90% of the NHL matchups on a nightly basis.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:33 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Nothing against Quebec City, but if they boycott an NHL game for such trivial reasons, maybe the decision to overlook them completely for a market like Seattle isn't such a bad idea.

And no, Carolina isn't in bad shape financially like holding a game in QC would erroneously lead people to believe.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:40 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelvl View Post
But, but, but you all have to go to show The Bettman that you love NHL hockey and want it back!
Say it sarcastically all you want, but not going isn't going to help Quebec City in any way. In fact, if anything, it hurts them. But whatever, not the NHL's problem.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket

If we go we look like we're part of the Habs' market, if we don't we should be overlooked? All the money is headed to your owner's pockets. That's the difference between a matchup you don't like in Raleigh and one in QC.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:49 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
If we go we look like we're part of the Habs' market,
So go wearing a Nords jersey and don't cheer FOR the Canes, but cheer AGAINST the Habs the whole time.

I think that's what everyone expects anyway. There are probably about 3 Hurricanes fans in QC, and everyone knows you guys hate the Habs.

edit: Also, if you don't go, then it will REALLY look like part of the Habs' market because it will be 16,000 Habs fans.

Old
07-11-2013, 02:01 PM
beenhereandthere

Love this boycott talk, lol. Even if it takes up to game day, the game will still sell out bonhommes.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Hal1971

Sorry boy, we could not get the puppy you asked for your birthday, but here's the poop of the neighbors dog if you want ?

Old
07-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

I might be the only one, but I think I'm gonna go to this game. We *ARE* the home team after all, should be at least one Hurricanes fan there

Also, FWIW, we're not desperate for money. Far from it actually. I'd surmise that the league was looking for teams who would play this game and JR being in the Old Boys Club volunteered.

Though, I am somewhat sad we had to give up a home game, would've loved to have seen one in the Carolina's somewhere

Old
07-11-2013, 03:23 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Lets not forget how last time there was a pre-season game in Quebec City, Islanders sent their 3rd squad the one not even in AHL yet to play Habs in Quebec City.

The same night, Tavares and cie were playing the Devils in Newark.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:35 PM
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Lets not forget how last time there was a pre-season game in Quebec City, Islanders sent their 3rd squad the one not even in AHL yet to play Habs in Quebec City.

The same night, Tavares and cie were playing the Devils in Newark.
That was 2010. There was a Habs-Lightning pre-season game in 2011.

By the way this Habs-Canes pre-season game in QC was supposed to take place last year, but of course the lockout changed all that.

Old
07-11-2013, 03:56 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal1971 View Post
Sorry boy, we could not get the puppy you asked for your birthday, but here's the poop of the neighbors dog if you want ?
well seeing as you let the last one run out into the road and get killed, maybe you should learn how to look after that borrowed poop for a night before anyone gives you a new dog of your own. to show us that you know how to take care of it and deserve to have one.

you know, i called out the seattle fans on their attitude. this is even worse. wow. frankly, if i were bettman and y'all indeed boycotted the game, i would delete PKP's number from my rolodex.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
well seeing as you let the last one run out into the road and get killed, maybe you should learn how to look after that borrowed poop for a night before anyone gives you a new dog of your own. to show us that you know how to take care of it and deserve to have one.

you know, i called out the seattle fans on their attitude. this is even worse. wow. frankly, if i were bettman and y'all indeed boycotted the game, i would delete PKP's number from my rolodex.
Yeah, sure, whatever.

I'm sure his inbox will be full of peopleother then PKP wanting to pay 300-400 millions for expansion in non-hockey markets.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket

Quote:

Do you seriously think Gary will take a look at the attendance figures of a pre-season game between Carolina and Montréal?

Hey Hamilton guys how would you have liked a pre-season game consisting of B squads of the Leafs and, say, Florida the season following Balsillie's saga?

Old
07-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Confucius

I'm boycotting the thing

Closed Thread