HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[BOS] Bruins re-sign Tuukka Rask [8 Years/$7,000,000 AAV]

Old
07-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Flying

vCash: 500
i don't care about the $$$ or anything but 8 years is ridiculous. both boston and rask are going to be regretting the term.

Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
Wonder if Rask becomes the first super-mega-goalie-contract that actually pans out

Please God let it be so
Lundqvists didn't? 6 years at 6.875 mil IIRC.

07-10-2013, 11:11 PM
bobbyt91
plz quote cuz bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Cautionary tale? How does that go? Be careful about signing a long term contract that the league approves...they might decide a few years later it is illegal and that you will now incur penalties!
Their talking about signing a goalie to a long long term deal. Not that your GM signed a B.S front loaded pos contract. Also it was the contract that made Luo unmovable not the risk of penalties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostito Rangers View Post
OK I had a look at the stats (sorry I'm both a stat geek and a goalie geek )

I looked at the top 18 goalies in GAA for 4 seasons, 0, 3, 5 and 7 years back - Year 0 being this season), I only counted goalies with at least half of the games played. (Personally I think GAA is the best goalie stat indicator - others might disagree)

Space not permitting to break down the numbers individually - but the point is that there is less fluctuation than you might expect, and that the fluctuation is the same if not more stable than for skaters:

• the top 18 covered just 39 different goalies when adding up years 0,3,5 and 7;
  • 14 goalies appeared only one season in the top 18 (Year 0: Craig Anderson, Corey Crawford, Sergei Bobrovsky, Cory Schneider, Viktor Fasth, 3: Chris Mason, 5: Pascal Leclaire, Niklas Backstrom, Dan Ellis, 7: Manny Fernandez, Vesa Toskala, Curtis Sanford, Dwayne Roloson)
  • 14 goalies appeared twice in "consecutive" seasons (i.e. 0&3; 3&5; 5&7) (0&3: Tuukka Rask, Jimmy Howard, Jaroslav Halak, Antti Niemi, Brian Elliott, Pekka Rinne, Jonathan Quick, 3&5: Evgeni Nabokov, Roberto Luongo, 5&7: Chris Osgood, Jean-Sebastien Giguere, Dominik Hasek, Marty Turco, Manny Legace)
  • 4 goalies appeared twice but five years apart (0&5: Jonas Hiller, Marc-Andre Fleury 3&7: Ryan Miller, Miikka Kiprusoff)
  • 1 goalie appeared twice but eight years apart (Ray Emery)
  • 4 goalies appeared three times in the top 18 GAA (0,3,7 Tomas Vokoun; 3,5,7 Ilya Bryzgalov, Cristobal Huet, Tim Thomas)
  • 2 goalies appeared every time (Henrik Lundqvist, Martin Brodeur)
Great post all in all but I fell that save% is a much better stat to judge a goalie on. GAA reflects on a team almost as much as the goalie. You can have a goalie who is getting 40+ shots a game and a goalie who gets 20-25 shots a game. And the goalie on the more defensive team will look better yet have an easier time.

bobbyt91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:26 PM
CptPicard

Mega contract for sure. I think he just needs to keep his head together and still live like an athlete and he'll be fine. I agree that no goalie is worth contracts like this.

CptPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:03 AM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

Big risk for the Bs. Its so long. Who knows what the bruins will be like in 5 years.

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:08 AM
Tostito Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt911 View Post
Their talking about signing a goalie to a long long term deal. Not that your GM signed a B.S front loaded pos contract. Also it was the contract that made Luo unmovable not the risk of penalties.

Great post all in all but I fell that save% is a much better stat to judge a goalie on. GAA reflects on a team almost as much as the goalie. You can have a goalie who is getting 40+ shots a game and a goalie who gets 20-25 shots a game. And the goalie on the more defensive team will look better yet have an easier time.
I'll look at the saves tomorrow - I guess it'll be similar numbers.

Tostito Rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:26 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Rask is the real deal. Definitely worth it.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:32 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Most long term big money deals for goaltenders end up biting the team in the ass... I don't see how this one is likely to be different.

Far too risky in the cap era to lock up that kind of cash on a player who will be sitting on the bench 20-30% of the games when completely healthy!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

terrible contract. good luck boston. guy's biggest plus is the team playing in front of him. don't think he earned close to this. here's hoping it's not another luongo

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Vesa Awesaka
PuempeltoBorotoAndy

king herik is looking at castles after he heard this news .

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:53 AM
NiKrejci

I see Henrik making around the same when he's up after next year. The King isn't worth more than that. He's not better than Rask, he's just been doing it longer.

NiKrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:18 AM
Howard Beale

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Rask is the real deal. Definitely worth it.
So was Luongo, when the deal started... Being worth the money at the start of the contract doesn't guarantee he'll still be worth it halfway through. Lots of players don't keep up the level of play you expect them to, especially players with relatively few games played.

If you made a list of all the players signed to contracts of 7 or more years since the 2005 lockout, by the halfway point, I bet you'd find more disappointments than ones that maintained or exceeded the level of play expected at the start.

Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:19 AM
deckercky

Does anybody really believe Lundqvist won't command 8-8.5M AAV next year?

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:34 AM
Dado

vCash:
Capgeek has him as NOT having an NTC or NMC...is that correct?

Old
07-11-2013, 01:37 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Capgeek has him as NOT having an NTC or NMC...is that correct?
He wouldn't be eligible for one until his first UFA year if I'm not mistaken.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:38 AM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Canucks View Post
Quick $5,800,000 vs Rask $7,000,000
Not really fair

Quick is just on an insanely good contract. Its like trying to compare contracts with Tavares haha

I love Rask, and if this is what it took to get him here for the longterm then ok, but it does seem a little much, but not as bad as people are saying

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:42 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
He wouldn't be eligible for one until his first UFA year if I'm not mistaken.
So he's still tradable...interesting...

Old
07-11-2013, 01:44 AM
HooliganX2

Rask is a good goalie I just don't think he is a 7 million a season goalie. Really I don't think any goalie is worth 7 million a season. Heck for me 5 million is pushing it for a goalie.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:52 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

This contract made me smile.

Luongo says "ohhhhh boy!"

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:55 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Rask is a good goalie I just don't think he is a 7 million a season goalie. Really I don't think any goalie is worth 7 million a season. Heck for me 5 million is pushing it for a goalie.
Agreed... $5m for an elite goalie... ie Lundqvist... Rinne.

Above avg IMO should only be around $4m...

Avg and below - $3m and below.

Any contracts larger should be for above avg to elite skaters playing in front of said goaltenders.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:58 AM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Please tell me that at least there isn't a NMC.
He doesn't appear to have one according to capgeek. I can see him getting dealt in a few years if Subban develops.

B's are paying a lot here but Rask took discount deals including a 1 year prove it deal and he proved it. He has always been highly regarded and they are buying prime UFA years. I don't mind the term for that reason, the B's are paying full freight here though.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:08 AM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

That is an insane contract for a goalie.

What did the lockout solve again?

It's like no one got the memo from the lockout, salaries need to come DOWN but all the players still want the same money, none of the star players realize they need to take less to help the team be competitive, this lockout has now officially had no effect on star players it's the 4th line pluggers who are gonna suffer because the salary cap comes down, not the stars, shameful.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:09 AM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
GMs disagree. 14 goalies have cap hits of $5M or more, so $5M is an average goaltender. Pretty much any goalie that establishes themselves as a starter will command $5M. $7M is top of the heap right now, but with the current CBA, the numbers will only go up.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:21 AM
KingPuckChoo

let's see..

Quick gets $5.8m
Rask gets $7m
Rinne gets $7m

good stuff

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:22 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
GMs disagree. 14 goalies have cap hits of $5M or more, so $5M is an average goaltender. Pretty much any goalie that establishes themselves as a starter will command $5M. $7M is top of the heap right now, but with the current CBA, the numbers will only go up.
How many of those $5m goalies are top 10 in goaltending and how many of the top 10 are paid less than $5m?

$5m is the going rate for a UFA who has proven himself maybe... but I'd rather go back to the well and work on finding the "next" $5m goaltender and play him until that point and move on again.