HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mats Zuccarello Re-signs (1 year, $1.15M)

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2013, 02:51 AM
TigerJack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
It's referring to the bureaucracy (not Gulag ). I've had many encounters with Norway, both in work and private. Norway is like where Sweden was 25-30 years ago.

There would be zero understanding for that in Sweden. The "well that is how it is attitude" when you point out something unreasonable and unlogical.

Norwegian hockey can expect to own a player during a championship. They can't expect to own him 24/7/365.

Agree 100%.

The funny part of this is that Norsk Tipping (The stately driven betting company) brags about being the "arcitect" behind Zuccarello. One of the guys even spoke out in the media that it was because of Norsk Tipping that Mats ended up as a good hockey player and eventually in the NHL and Rangers. That is just hilarous and an embarrasing statement.

Take a look around Norway and the hockey facilities. I don´t know how many rinks there are in total in Norway, but I have heard that the Swedish City of Göteborg has more ice rinks than the whole Country of Norway.

Norway´s national arena, Jordal Amfi, is a disgrace to hockey. Don´t even know what to compare it with.....
I have seen hockey rinks in small towns in the US with a population of a few 100 that have hockey arenas of way better quality than Norways national arena.

It would seem that the few norwegian hockey players that make it to SEL or KHL and those even fewer to NHL, has done this with their own hard work and not because of, on the contrary, despite the extremely poor hockey facilities in Norway.

I have no Idea where the money that Norsk Tipping is talking about (You know the money that got Mats to NHL) actually ends up in the hockey association. I don´t know if it ends up in the pockets of the leaders or other mysterious places, but it obviously does not get used to build new hockey arenas and remodel the old ones.

The only arena in Norway that is acceptable is DNB Arena (Stavanger Oilers), which is very nice. But one is not enough.

OK, this was a little OT but....

Nothing new in norwegian media about Zuccarellos contact situation. Looks like it will go to arbitration. Only two days until jul 31st.

Old
07-29-2013, 03:07 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagh View Post
Isn't the problem that the unibet commercials with Mats keep running during the time of the national team's tournament games? I'm sure he could take part if he limited his agreement with unibet to a point where it was only valid for when he wasn't in games with the national team.

Would that still be objectionable to people?

That's not a point being made by the Norwegian Ice Hockey Federation, but that was certainly what provoked the reaction. I'm pretty sure things will settle down and Mats will play in the olympics.

I think the reaction from the NIHF was too much, but one has to consider a couple of things (and "Norwegian bureaucracy" is not one of them").

As in most nations - including the US - gambling is restricted and regulated in Norway. It is controlled by a national agency and other gambling businesses are illegal. It is also illegal for banks and financial institutions fascilitate the transfer of funds to international gambling sites.

Now. If MZA featured in a Foxwoods commercial on MSG there would be no issue. But the target audience in this case is Norwegian viewers. The NIHF see MZA doing a commercial for a company which is trying to circumvent Norwegian gambling regulations and at the same time are competitors of the largest financial comtributor and sponsor of Norwegian ice hockey. Airing it during the IIHF WC only made it worse.

In the end I don't agree with the NIHF's desicion, but it is their's to make. Playing for the national team is not a right. What's sad is Norwegian hockey and the national team will suffer more from MZA not playing, than from him doing the commercial.

Now if we're going to talk Soviet states and who's 25-30 years behind whom, I'd rather be in Norway's financial, political and governmental (including our bureaucracy) positiion than in Sweden's. That however is a discussion for another board so I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
The funny part of this is that Norsk Tipping (The stately driven betting company) brags about being the "arcitect" behind Zuccarello. One of the guys even spoke out in the media that it was because of Norsk Tipping that Mats ended up as a good hockey player and eventually in the NHL and Rangers. That is just hilarous and an embarrasing statement.
They do not. One person from NT made such a statement. It was quickly retracted and apoligized for.

Last edited by SixGoalieSystem: 07-29-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old
07-29-2013, 03:35 AM
Dagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGoalieSystem View Post
They do not. One person from NT made such a statement. It was quickly retracted and apoligized for.
I can vouch for that. They corrected that the day after it hit the papers.

Old
07-29-2013, 03:46 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Anyway. Looks like this might be going to arbitration. I don't see the arbitrator awarding him more than 1.6 tops, probably 1.3-1.4. How much would he have to be awarded for the Rangers to start looking to trade him? 1.8?

MZA would be nice to have, but not if it's going to give us difficulties re-signing Steps or leaving us with no space to work with going into the sesason .

Old
07-29-2013, 04:03 AM
Ola

Quote:
Airing it during the IIHF WC only made it worse.
I don't ge why since Mats didn't play in the WCH.

I also don't at all get the nature of the supposed rule Mats broke. He has no contract with NIHF. He wasn't a part of the national team. He didn't play for a club team in Norway.

They (the hockey federation) have generally applying rules that applies to everyone? To all "members" (is Zucc a member?)?

Or someone at the state monopoly just called them up and complained and the hockey federation DECIDED to suspend Zucc because they felt like it and not because Zucc had broken a rule?

Old
07-29-2013, 04:19 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I also don't at all get the nature of the supposed rule Mats broke. He has no contract with NIHF. He wasn't a part of the national team. He didn't play for a club team in Norway.

They (the hockey federation) have generally applying rules that applies to everyone? To all "members" (is Zucc a member?)?

Or someone at the state monopoly just called them up and complained and the hockey federation DECIDED to suspend Zucc because they felt like it and not because Zucc had broken a rule?
He didn't play in the WCH but he was part of the team in training camp (before he left for NYC), and is associated with the team. There is a reason why the betting company chose tho air the commercial during the championships.

He has not been suspended. He is not being punished. He has not broken any rules. The NIHF coaches and officals choose the olympic roster. If they want to exclude players who have made deals with foreign gambling companies that's their choice to make.

Last edited by SixGoalieSystem: 07-29-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old
07-29-2013, 06:57 AM
Ola

Quote:
He didn't play in the WCH but he was part of the team in training camp (before he left for NYC), and is associated with the team. There is a reason why the betting company chose tho air the commercial during the championships.

He has not been suspended. He is not being punished. He has not broken any rules. The NIHF coaches and officals choose the olympic roster. If they want to exclude players who have made deals with foreign gambling companies that's their choice to make.
Yeah there is a reason why airing a commercial with a hockey player in April/May. It would be odd to do it in July.

Old
07-29-2013, 06:57 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Today they submit the offers, yes? I hope the Rangers don't go higher than 1.5M.

Old
07-29-2013, 07:33 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah there is a reason why airing a commercial with a hockey player in April/May. It would be odd to do it in July.
On the TV-channel which airs the WCH - not the NHL - and the campaign starting on the same day as the championships. The connection is pretty obvious.

Old
07-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
Today they submit the offers, yes? I hope the Rangers don't go higher than 1.5M.
rangers will probably offer the least possible number they can, the arbitrator almost always splits the difference. mza will ask for the most, and theyll get a number in the middle.

Old
07-29-2013, 07:46 AM
TigerJack

Article about this in Norway today. Zuccarello is ready for hard negotiations where the club will do everything they can to "talk their own player down"
Former arbitrations are mentioned, ex. Avery and Tommy Salo where the players were "shocked" and left the negotiations in tears (Salo).....

Google translate

Knowing this, I wonder if this is for the best for Zuccarello... I really hope that he will accept a last offer from the club and stop the arbitration process.

Last edited by TigerJack: 07-29-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old
07-29-2013, 07:51 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJack View Post
Article about this in Norway today. Zuccarello is ready for hard negotiations where the club will do everything they can to "talk their own player down"

Former arbitrations are mentioned, ex. Avery and Tommy Salo where the players were "shocked" and left the negotiations in tears (Salo).....

Google translate
Quote:
New York Rangers are forced to accept wages as determined through mediation, but can choose whether the club will bind to one or two seasons.
I like this. If the salary is low enough, the Rangers would be smart to take a 2 year deal.

Old
07-29-2013, 08:09 AM
SirKillalot

Quote:

All players who play for National Teams represents the Norwegian Sports Association. And the Norwegian Sports Associations rules states that a individual can't agree to sponsorship-deals without their consent as long as they represent the National Team.

If Rangers had been knocked out earlier, he was originally going to join the National Team, but because of that deal. The Norwegian National Team had to suspend him for breaking a rule.

Norwegian Sports Association's law states (google translated):

Quote:
§ 13-2. Who may enter into agreements
Agreements may be entered into only by organizational units. Agreements shall be in writing and signed by the organizational control. For sports clubs with control group, this means the Executive Board.
Quote:
§ 13-3. Athlete's rights and obligations under agreements with industry
The competitor can not enter into individual agreements relating to sporting activities, including employment, other than organizational.
Now, the Norwegian Hockey Federation is a organizational unit under Norwegian Sports Association. Therefore, they are the only ones who can sign an agreement for what players can do, when they are with the National Team. Players can come to them with deals and ask, but it's the National Team who have to sign the papers.

That is why they had to do what they did.

For those interested, they can read chapter 13 in the Norwegian Sports Association Law: http://www.lovdata.no/nif/hifl-20070...01.html#map013

Swedes should have no problems reading, others should use google translate as best they can.

07-29-2013, 08:30 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
I can see us signing Zuccarello very soon for 2 years and then trading him before the year to DRW for something unexpected up front. Know there is interest in him there...

Old
07-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

I'm curious as to how the relationship between player and Club is after a hearing like this..

I doubt it's going to be the same after it's all said and done - or do the Club "blame" the agent more than the player ?

I could see the Club souring on the player after a short while, so unless zuke nets like 4 goals and has 8 assists in the first 8-12 games then he'll be either traded, demoted or sent Down..

I can see the patience Level going Down fast after a hearing like this...

I'm on the record saying I think he signs a 1 year 1 way deal for 1.375 million - I doubt it's higher than that and frankly I'm beging to feel he's not Worth the hassle and the trouble anymore...

I'm begining to doubt that money's not the driving force for him playing in nhl. He's on the record saying he's not greedy for Money, but greedy for respect - it's time for him to live up to that..

Take the lower offer, take one for the team and earn a better contract Next year..

Old
07-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Dagh

If he was only in it for the money, I'm sure he'd head back to Russia.
That still doesn't mean he has to take anything offered him.

Old
07-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I like this. If the salary is low enough, the Rangers would be smart to take a 2 year deal.
Wouldn't the Rangers have to elect for a one or two year deal before the hearing?

Old
07-29-2013, 09:17 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
Wouldn't the Rangers have to elect for a one or two year deal before the hearing?
I'm not sure, that's probably the case, but I hope it isn't.

Old
07-29-2013, 09:24 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post

That's not how it works. For instance it'll be 1/1.5 deal or 2/3.5 mill deal. Rangers would have an option of choosing which one they want. They wont decide on the figure and then decide on the length.

Old
07-29-2013, 09:35 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
That's not how it works. For instance it'll be 1/1.5 deal or 2/3.5 mill deal. Rangers would have an option of choosing which one they want. They wont decide on the figure and then decide on the length.

I thought there'd be a catch. It's still going to be interesting to see what the two options are presented as (if it gets to arbitration).

Old
07-29-2013, 09:52 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
rangers will probably offer the least possible number they can, the arbitrator almost always splits the difference. mza will ask for the most, and theyll get a number in the middle.
This is one of the few instances that the MLB gets it right. Both parties submit their number, and the representative can only pick one of those 2 values, none of this splitting the difference nonsense.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The party taken to arbitration selects the term in their brief which must be submitted 48 hours prior to the hearing. Either 1 or 2. It can only be 1 if the player is a year away from group III which doesn't apply in this case. The Rangers made the mistake making the QO. If the player couldn't be re-signed by July 5,move on. The Rangers could have signed another player with the $ allocated to Zuccarello. Brooks wrote it is $1.25M. For the Rangers to get to this point with no settlement,that's not enough for Zuccarello. The free agent market is full of players who will gladly accept $1.25M but the Rangers are stuck with Zuccarello. The Red Wings have their own cap issues. They are trying to trade Tootoo back to Nashville to clear $ for Dan Cleary. Nashville needs to move a player to another team to add Tootoo.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:21 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
This is one of the few instances that the MLB gets it right. Both parties submit their number, and the representative can only pick one of those 2 values, none of this splitting the difference nonsense.
Agreed. Forces both sides to come up with what they believe is a realistic number, rather than two completely unrealistic "positioning" numbers. Also, it gives the sides a true understanding of how far apart they are as well as their best/worst case outcomes - which should be very useful in allowing them to reach last minute deals.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers made the mistake making the QO.
Please.

Old
07-29-2013, 11:19 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Please.
I have to agree with RB on this one. By qualifying him, we retain his rights, but at what cost? If the arbitrator decides the compensation should be 1.8 mil, we can't walk away from it. We can try to trade him, but who is going to take him at that salary? We'll be forced to give Stepan a shorter term deal, or find some other way to clear cap space.

If we didn't qualify him, we would lose his rights, but still could have negotiated with him. And if he continued to ask for more than we were willing to give, we could have replaced him with someone who is willing to play for less. There are a lot of players still out there who will be happy just to get a contract. I imagine Mason Raymond will be signed eventually by someone, but for how much? You think he might be willing to take 1.25 mil per for 2 years?

Closed Thread