HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mats Zuccarello Re-signs (1 year, $1.15M)

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 07:45 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers made a mistake qualifying Zuccarello. They made him eligible for salary arbitration. They can't walk-away from the award because it has to be at least $3.5M. Try to sign him and let him go somewhere else if both sides couldn't reach an agreement. Don't qualify him. That was their walk-away. They didn't do that.
I didn't understand this move at the time. I didn't get why they felt they had to qualify him.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

With all the complaints about Stepan's negotiation, this is the one thats turning into a real mess.

And if I had to guess its because the Rangers simply don't know if they want him back or not.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
meh, then we'd just replace him with someone on the wrong side of 30 anyway like Lecavalier.
Lecavalier would not be the only option out there

Old
07-11-2013, 08:46 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
With all the complaints about Stepan's negotiation, this is the one thats turning into a real mess.

And if I had to guess its because the Rangers simply don't know if they want him back or not.
Lol. How is it turning into a mess? He filed for arbitration. He isn't the first player to do it nor will he be the last.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

In 2009,Nigel Dawes filed for salary arbitration. PHX waived Dawes and Calgary claimed him. Calgary signed him.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Lecavalier would not be the only option out there
ok fine, then he'd have given the max contract to Clarkson.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:11 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

Why wouldn't the Rangers want to re-sign Stepan? He doesn't have arbitration rights. In 2010,Staal didn't sign his 5 year contract until two days before training camp was beginning. I guess the Rangers didn't want Staal 3 years ago either. Staal was in the same position as Staal. No arbitration rights.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Why wouldn't the Rangers want to re-sign Stepan? He doesn't have arbitration rights. In 2010,Staal didn't sign his 5 year contract until two days before training camp was beginning. I guess the Rangers didn't want Staal 3 years ago either. Staal was in the same position as Staal. No arbitration rights.
pretty sure he meant Zucc

Old
07-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Of course they want Stepan, was talking about Zuccarello.

Sure seems like the Rangers are wavering. Is there a better option available? Considering all the forwards that are signed, would it just be better to have a little cap flexibility by letting Zuccarello go? I dont think the Rangers have the answers to these questions yet.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
ok fine, then he'd have given the max contract to Clarkson.
There were dozens of UFA's available

Old
07-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
There were dozens of UFA's available
and every single one of those contracts were awful

Old
07-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
and every single one of those contracts were awful
Generalize much?

They're not even all signed yet, so for some of them you don't even know what the contract would be.

And the real question is if the contract is/would be better than the Richards contract. That's the alternative, so the bar is set verrrrrrrrrrrry low.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
I really don't mind if Zuccarello doesn't come back. People here make him out to be some elite player. He's invisible, ineffective most of the time. His vision is good and creative, but thats only because everyone else on our team ISN'T.

Move away from players like him, and focus on players with the ability to bury the puck in the net. Not just during shootouts.
characterizations like this piss me off. Nobody says he's elite first of all; although he has certain skills which are elite. He is almost never invisible; his dogs the puck, plays a tough game and gets under the opponent's skin. There is nothing soft about his game. the fact that he can be knocked over due to his size does not make him soft or invisible. He wins alot of puck battles and has great vision, stick handling ability and passing skills. We need him right now and the arbitration filing ensures that he will be a Ranger. Right now we have two 4th line centers making a million plus. One (Boyle) should be traded for a pick and cap space magically opens.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Of course they want Stepan, was talking about Zuccarello.

Sure seems like the Rangers are wavering. Is there a better option available? Considering all the forwards that are signed, would it just be better to have a little cap flexibility by letting Zuccarello go? I dont think the Rangers have the answers to these questions yet.
My fault. I thought you were talking about Stepan. The Zuccarello thing is a joke. He has 34 points in 67 regular season games. He had something like 7 points in the playoffs. The one goal he scored made it 5-0 in game 7. He hasn't played a full NHL season yet.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
My fault. I thought you were talking about Stepan. The Zuccarello thing is a joke. He has 34 points in 67 regular season games. He had something like 7 points in the playoffs. The one goal he scored made it 5-0 in game 7. He hasn't played a full NHL season yet.
Agreed.

From the way I've seen him portrayed by some posters here, he is the most offensively gifted player with the least amount of production in the history of the game.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

I really don't think this is as much of a big deal as people are making it out to be. Zuccarello filed for arbitration in order to ensure he has a contract with an NHL team. As for the Rangers, my guess is that they have low-balled him at the moment while they're getting Stepan signed, just to make sure the cap isn't a problem. The team wants Zuccarello back, but Stepan is more important.

We knew (or, for some, should've known) since they decided not to buy out Richards that someone was going to be on the bottom of the totem pole because of the tight squeeze the Rangers are under this summer. That guy is Zuccarello. I think they'll still get him signed before the arbitration hearing, provided that Stepan is signed before then too.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Agreed.

From the way I've seen him portrayed by some posters here, he is the most offensively gifted player with the least amount of production in the history of the game.
Those same posters will tell you that you can simply extrapolate out his numbers over an 82 game schedule and you know what you'll get. No accounting for wear and tear the grind of an 82-game schedule can take. No accounting for injuries (in his career, Zuccarello has missed 28 games and played in 67).

He was better than I thought he would be when he came back from the KHL. But he's still a one-dimensional player who is generally unproven.

07-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Green Blob*

Quote:
The Rangers made a mistake qualifying Zuccarello. They made him eligible for salary arbitration. They can't walk-away from the award because it has to be at least $3.5M. Try to sign him and let him go somewhere else if both sides couldn't reach an agreement. Don't qualify him. That was their walk-away. They didn't do that.
Wasnt a mistake in the least bit.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:43 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I really don't think this is as much of a big deal as people are making it out to be. Zuccarello filed for arbitration in order to ensure he has a contract with an NHL team. As for the Rangers, my guess is that they have low-balled him at the moment while they're getting Stepan signed, just to make sure the cap isn't a problem. The team wants Zuccarello back, but Stepan is more important.

We knew (or, for some, should've known) since they decided not to buy out Richards that someone was going to be on the bottom of the totem pole because of the tight squeeze the Rangers are under this summer. That guy is Zuccarello. I think they'll still get him signed before the arbitration hearing, provided that Stepan is signed before then too.
People love to make everything into a big deal. As you said, Zucc's will likely be signed prior to the hearing. If he isn't he'll be awarded an affordable contract that will be reasonable to both parties. It's a non-issue.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:06 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

I like this clear headed analysis.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Agreed.

And haters gonna hate.

He is a talented player that very well could become a +40pt player while adding much needed skill on the PP. And if we can add that for 1.25-1.85$ we should do it.

Last edited by Sticky Fingers: 07-11-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old
07-11-2013, 11:19 AM
emodwarf

Why are people making a big deal out of this? The sky isn't falling.

He filed for arbitration. We have time to re-sign him before then.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:56 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emodwarf View Post
Why are people making a big deal out of this? The sky isn't falling.

He filed for arbitration. We have time to re-sign him before then.
I was literally going to say the same thing, it's not a big deal at all sather can make room if he needs more cap space.

zucc wants to be a ranger and we all know we could use him on the team, the two sides will get it done I'm not worried.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:28 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

Even if we don't reach a deal with Zucc before the hearing, I'm sure Sather will free up enough space so that the cap won't be as much of an issue by then.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
You don't think Zucc is worth a 1.5-2 mill cap hit?

Closed Thread