HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mats Zuccarello Re-signs (1 year, $1.15M)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2013, 12:28 PM
  #101
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
My fault. I thought you were talking about Stepan. The Zuccarello thing is a joke. He has 34 points in 67 regular season games. He had something like 7 points in the playoffs. The one goal he scored made it 5-0 in game 7. He hasn't played a full NHL season yet.
I was pretty dissapointed with Zucc during the POs, but on the other hand it had been a long year for him and Torts hockey is hardly a fit for him...

But, Zucc was arguably like a top 3 forward for us in 1/3 of the game he played, a top 6 forward in 1/3 of the games he played, and a top 9 forward in 1/3 of the games he played.

In short, no matter what stats he had, he was game in and game out one of other better forwards/players.

Zucc have had zero continuity over the last 2-3 years with goin up and down, being injured, not getting a contract and what not. Having Gabby/Cally/Prust infront of him. I think he could do both worse and better than what people are expecting from him.

But like I've said, it's a shame if he doesn't even get a shot next season....

Ola is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 12:31 PM
  #102
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,886
vCash: 500
Im just hoping the Rangers don't trade a guy like Boyle to make room for Zucc. That would be asinine if you ask me. Boyle is worth a lot more to this team because he slots in perfectly as a 4th liner. Zucc can be moved all around and I see him more as a depth forward on this team now, with the signing of Pouliot and some of the prospects coming up, including Kristo.

I think it would be good to have Zucc around, at least until Hags and Cally are out - as an option and depth in camp. But I wont be crying if he isn't in a blueshirt next season.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now  
Old
07-11-2013, 06:59 PM
  #103
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,847
vCash: 500
In 2011,Pittsburgh decided they didn't want Tyler Kennedy filing for salary arbitration. They didn't qualify him but Shero re-signed Kennedy. 2 years/$4M.

Look at Kennedy's numbers leading up to the summer of 2011. He had 45 points in 10-11. 25 points,35 points and 19 points in his first year splitting time in the AHL. 3 full NHL seasons and 1/2 a season. Zuccarello wants $2M. Based on what? What do players with 34 points in 67 career regular season games receive?

Last week,Pittsburgh traded Kennedy to SJ for 2nd after they qualified him. SJ signed Kennedy to a 2 year contract.

http://capgeek.com/player/481

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 07:06 PM
  #104
Joey Bones
Registered User
 
Joey Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,741
vCash: 500
When he came back, he was really good and helped the PP. It wasn't great, but was better when he wasn't here. Zucc will be counted on for the PP again and under AV I think will be a way better player in general. He has shown grit, but with his size it's already tough for him to do that. All in all, he should be given a full time slot. Hope he comes back.

Joey Bones is online now  
Old
07-11-2013, 07:57 PM
  #105
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
When he came back, he was really good and helped the PP. It wasn't great, but was better when he wasn't here. Zucc will be counted on for the PP again and under AV I think will be a way better player in general. He has shown grit, but with his size it's already tough for him to do that. All in all, he should be given a full time slot. Hope he comes back.
The PP was horrendous down the stretch of the playoffs - couldnt have been worse, in fact.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 08:03 PM
  #106
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,820
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
When he came back, he was really good and helped the PP. It wasn't great, but was better when he wasn't here. Zucc will be counted on for the PP again and under AV I think will be a way better player in general. He has shown grit, but with his size it's already tough for him to do that. All in all, he should be given a full time slot. Hope he comes back.
He had 1pp assist.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 08:55 PM
  #107
Joey Bones
Registered User
 
Joey Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The PP was horrendous down the stretch of the playoffs - couldnt have been worse, in fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He had 1pp assist.
It looked a lot better when he was on the team, but I didn't say it wasn't horrendous. Believe me, the PP still was awful, but they moved the puck better and had better scoring chances when he was out there. He didn't put up points, but created chances.

Joey Bones is online now  
Old
07-12-2013, 06:40 AM
  #108
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,847
vCash: 500
Zuccarello will be back unless he decides to terminate his contract to play in the KHL

The Devils will be a lottery team without a lottery pick because of Kovalchuk.

The arbitration dates will be released today. NHLPA.com should have it posted by the end of the day. I read the hearing dates would be released today.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 07:18 AM
  #109
KenGuru
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oslo, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
In 2011,Pittsburgh decided they didn't want Tyler Kennedy filing for salary arbitration. They didn't qualify him but Shero re-signed Kennedy. 2 years/$4M.

Look at Kennedy's numbers leading up to the summer of 2011. He had 45 points in 10-11. 25 points,35 points and 19 points in his first year splitting time in the AHL. 3 full NHL seasons and 1/2 a season. Zuccarello wants $2M. Based on what? What do players with 34 points in 67 career regular season games receive?

Last week,Pittsburgh traded Kennedy to SJ for 2nd after they qualified him. SJ signed Kennedy to a 2 year contract.

http://capgeek.com/player/481

So what has Hagelin done to deserve 2,25 mill ? He is not even good enough for Swedens Olympic team. He does not produce more than Zucc either

KenGuru is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 07:24 AM
  #110
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey
 
Hellion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,935
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGuru View Post
So what has Hagelin done to deserve 2,25 mill ? He is not even good enough for Swedens Olympic team. He does not produce more than Zucc either
He is worth more than Zucc to the team at this point, even for me as a Norwegian hehe.
If Zucc gets to play a whole season, then things might be different, but as of today Hags is worth more.
1.75 mill is what Mats should get.

Hellion is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 07:31 AM
  #111
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
You don't think Zucc is worth a 1.5-2 mill cap hit?
at this time no. I mean even Boyle and Pyatt who many crap on have had longer NHL careers and have put some descent seasons together and the are 1.5 and 1.7

So Zucc needs to take a 1-1.25 in my books and he will. If he doesnt the arbitrator should think the same way, no?

Vitto79 is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 07:35 AM
  #112
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGuru View Post
So what has Hagelin done to deserve 2,25 mill ? He is not even good enough for Swedens Olympic team. He does not produce more than Zucc either
Hagelin is a more effective all around player. He's a much better forechecker. He's faster, stronger on the puck and better defensively. He plays on the PK.

And while their PPG numbers are similar, Hagelin has done it over a larger sampling of games.

Saying Hagelin isn't good enough for Sweden's Olympic team isn't a slight against him. Sweden has a lot of good players. Zucc wouldn't make that team either (assuming he were Swedish).

I have no problem with Zucc asking for 2 mil per season. I will have a problem if he gets it though. As much as I like him, he hasn't earned that yet. And more to the point, we can't afford it. If he wants to play here, he needs to take what the Rangers can afford to pay him. Take a 1 year deal if necessary, prove himself, and then get a bigger payday when the cap goes up and Richards is (hopefully) off the books.

GAGLine is online now  
Old
07-12-2013, 07:37 AM
  #113
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey
 
Hellion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,935
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
at this time no. I mean even Boyle and Pyatt who many crap on have had longer NHL careers and have put some descent seasons together and the are 1.5 and 1.7

So Zucc needs to take a 1-1.25 in my books and he will. If he doesnt the arbitrator should think the same way, no?
Read that Zucc is at 2 and Rangers at 1.25. Natural middleground would be 1.5-1.75 range

Hellion is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 07:41 AM
  #114
PavelBure9
Registered User
 
PavelBure9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
I'm thinking 1.6 if an arbitrator rules on it, based on the Zucc camp wanting 2 and the Rangers camp wanting 1.2-1.3. He has .50 ppg on a relatively small sample size making It hard to judge. If I'm the rangers I offer, 2yr 3mill, giving Zucc some security while paying him a little more then the Rangers want

PavelBure9 is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 08:19 AM
  #115
SKS
Registered User
 
SKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelBure9 View Post
I'm thinking 1.6 if an arbitrator rules on it, based on the Zucc camp wanting 2 and the Rangers camp wanting 1.2-1.3. He has .50 ppg on a relatively small sample size making It hard to judge. If I'm the rangers I offer, 2yr 3mill, giving Zucc some security while paying him a little more then the Rangers want
Sounds like a good deal to me. 1.5-1.6m per over 2 years on a 1 way deal.

I am the biggest Zucca fan there is (and as a response to him not making a Swedish national team that plays on larger surface and with a guy who was points leader and MVP in a weaker version of himself when he left SEL - I call BS) However, Hags is a far more established player with a bigger all-round game at the moment.
However, where I differ with many posters on here is that Zucc has or is close to reaching his ceiling. He should be valued like many rookies, since he has yet to play a full season, is still getting used to rink size and is showing continuous improvement. I honestly believe he will become a St Louis light - and I understand why many people will laugh at me for that comment, but that is my honest belief.

Come on guys, lets remember what the hobbit looks like when he is on the ice, not become the downer debbies that seems to remember a smallish guy with no impact.

Bleed Ranger Blue and SingnBlues - you are excused from that comment, you have called it like you saw it the whole time and while my opinion differs I think we would all be happier if my opinion proves true


Last edited by SKS: 07-12-2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typo
SKS is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 08:36 AM
  #116
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
It looked a lot better when he was on the team, but I didn't say it wasn't horrendous. Believe me, the PP still was awful, but they moved the puck better and had better scoring chances when he was out there. He didn't put up points, but created chances.
Here we go again.

Mats Zuccarello -- makes the team "look good" without the production.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 08:38 AM
  #117
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,847
vCash: 500
The Rangers are not required to submit $1.25M because that's what management has budgeted for him. The Rangers should stick to the QO in their brief. Two way. Bring up all of the facts. Hasn't played a full NHL season. 34 career points in 67 regular season games. Zuccarello can ask for $2M with the Rangers sticking close to the QO. Beat him up in arbitration and keep the number as close to $925,000 as possible so they can assign him to the AHL if necessary. If the Rangers settle for a penny more than they offered,they're idiots. This player has proven nothing to get a one way deal at a decent buck.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 08:40 AM
  #118
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Here we go again.

Mats Zuccarello -- makes the team "look good" without the production.
I mean he produces pretty well. If he can score 40-50 points, which is not unreasonable if he stays healthy, I would take him @ 1.5 million easily. He controls the puck very well and looks to make plays. One of the few guys on this team who can slow the game down.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 08:55 AM
  #119
SKS
Registered User
 
SKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Here we go again.

Mats Zuccarello -- makes the team "look good" without the production.
First of all, he is above .5pg. Secondly, first you classify him as unproven and need a larger sample size - however, that sample size can only be attributed to possible downside, not possible upside due to the lack of games?

"looking good without production" will not matter over the long haul - but when you are saying that his sample size is too small, in which i agree, then that argument suddenly becomes much more valid. Over a 60ish game sample size it is very possible to get unlucky with production.

SKS is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 09:04 AM
  #120
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,820
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKS View Post
First of all, he is above .5pg. Secondly, first you classify him as unproven and need a larger sample size - however, that sample size can only be attributed to possible downside, not possible upside due to the lack of games?
Who has ever said that?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 09:07 AM
  #121
SKS
Registered User
 
SKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Who has ever said that?
It was an interpretation of the "here we go again, looking good without production" comment.
Perhaps an erroneous one at that

SKS is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 09:13 AM
  #122
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKS View Post
First of all, he is above .5pg. Secondly, first you classify him as unproven and need a larger sample size - however, that sample size can only be attributed to possible downside, not possible upside due to the lack of games?

"looking good without production" will not matter over the long haul - but when you are saying that his sample size is too small, in which i agree, then that argument suddenly becomes much more valid. Over a 60ish game sample size it is very possible to get unlucky with production.
For various reasons, its taken him 3 years to play 67 NHL games. All of a sudden, that makes him a 40-50 point player over a full NHL season - something hes never come close to doing.

The sample size is too small, he adds some offensive creativity with mundane production so far, and - most importantly - give the cap situation, its a bit foolish to hand over a 1 way deal to the guy for $2M per.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 09:15 AM
  #123
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers are not required to submit $1.25M because that's what management has budgeted for him. The Rangers should stick to the QO in their brief. Two way. Bring up all of the facts. Hasn't played a full NHL season. 34 career points in 67 regular season games. Zuccarello can ask for $2M with the Rangers sticking close to the QO. Beat him up in arbitration and keep the number as close to $925,000 as possible so they can assign him to the AHL if necessary. If the Rangers settle for a penny more than they offered,they're idiots. This player has proven nothing to get a one way deal at a decent buck.
The NHL has become the Nr 1 socialist league in sports. It can't pay its players even 30% of what they would make elsewhere (in Zuccs case probably more like 10-15%).

Beat up Zucc in arbitration? You are ridiculous. He would leave instantly. This is pro-sports, people should move to North Korea if it suits them better. When have you ever left 80% on the table to work with someone who "beat you up" in something like an arbitration?

Why pay Stepan much more than our other players in the same situation got? He has zero options. No arbitration rights. Won't move to Russia. Boosted stats from having zero competition at his position. Let him sit out. He will get paid in two years when the cap has gone up.

"Beat up" Zucc in arbitration...

Ola is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 09:18 AM
  #124
SKS
Registered User
 
SKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
give the cap situation, its a bit foolish to hand over a 1 way deal to the guy for $2M per.
And here we agree 100%. Hope he signs for much less than that. And I will happily finish my argument here as well, rather than going into a prolonged argument based solely on my own gut feeling with posters whose love for the team never wavers and whom I respect.

SKS is offline  
Old
07-12-2013, 09:21 AM
  #125
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,329
vCash: 500
If he's a Ranger cool, if not we will survive

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.