HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Allen was interested in purchasing Coyotes for Portland (UPD: #94 confirmed)

Old
07-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Tawnos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Though hindsight is 50/50 I'm curious what the Blazer's offer would have been as the article mentions 'as long as the price and terms made financial sense'. With a ready NHL building now, PDX would trump both Sea and QC by a long shot, yet Seattle was widely touted as the potential Yotes landing spot.
Well, the Trailblazers interest was internal within the organization and maybe some communication with the NHL. The Seattle arena situation was a matter of public record.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:42 AM
CerebralGenesis

Could easily see Portland and Seattle filling in that 32 team league that is expected with the current alignment.

QBC won't take this news lightly

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brodie
King at the Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
If both got teams, who would move to the Midwest/Central?
it'd open up space for a Coyotes relocation either to the east or to a CST market.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Portland would be a great market for the NHL to move into. Still think they're with Kansas City and Markham in the 2nd tier of cities that would get a NHL team (Behind the 1st tier of Quebec City, Seattle and Houston)
Markham in the second tier?

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Could easily see Portland and Seattle filling in that 32 team league that is expected with the current alignment.

QBC won't take this news lightly
Meh, we'll see who is ready to pay the 300-400 millions for expansion.

But who knows, maybe the crazy ''Bettman hates Canada'' people are correct and he'll sell Portland and Seattle expansion for 200 millions and ignore how much money PKP is ready to pay.

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
I have doubts to these claims

Allen showed little interest in NHL in past. He only showed interest when Rose Garden was no longer under his control and he was trying to get it back (Thus why him pretending to have interest in NHL team came up ,, Good PR)

Once he got control of Rose Garden again he dropped all interest in NHL team. I don't buy him having legit interest

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:03 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
Meh, we'll see who is ready to pay the 300-400 millions for expansion.

But who knows, maybe the crazy ''Bettman hates Canada'' people are correct and he'll sell Portland and Seattle expansion for 200 millions and ignore how much money PKP is ready to pay.
I will always throw Winnipeg Jets whenever people claim that.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:18 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
I will always throw Winnipeg Jets whenever people claim that.
Mind to explain ?

Jets were not an expansion team btw.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:25 PM
The Korean*

If Bettman hated Canada, and had power to keep the teams out which is alleged by many Anti Bettman folks surely Winnipeg Jets would not have come to be? Could have easily just taken the team and kept in ATL. Like Coyotes.

Old
07-11-2013, 02:31 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
If Bettman hated Canada, and had power to keep the teams out which is alleged by many Anti Bettman folks surely Winnipeg Jets would not have come to be? Could have easily just taken the team and kept in ATL. Like Coyotes.
Completely different situation, you're way off base here.

The Thrashers were kicked out of their arena. The Coyotes have an arena that the city is begging to keep them in.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:31 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor ray View Post
Betman was not going to let the Coyotes deal go. He was proving a point to the hockey world that he was correct all along.

With 16 teams in the East and 14 teams in the West adding Portland/Seattle makes too much sense now for the NHL. Portland has, and Seattle is going to have, a hockey sutiable arena and both have solid ownership groups. I cant see how this isnt going to happen if all of this is true. The NHL has thrived in Nor Cal and the WHL is thriving in Ore/Wash. I think this is only a matter of time.
Yes he was if Glendale had said no to the lease.

gstommylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Tinalera

I keep thinking that in 3-5 years we're going to see expansion-QC and Seattle get teams, and if things don't work out in 5 years in Phoenix, Leblanc sells the team to Portland.

NHL goes to 32 teams, two more teams fill out the west to 16 teams, QC gets their team, and one of the teams currently in the "C" division gets bumped back to "B".

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:50 PM
silvercanuck

Id like to see a three team expansion to Seattle, Portland and Quebec and have them share in Coyotes dispersal draft. Again, it's really too bad that the league could not have gotten into Seattle and Portland in the 90's instead of Columbus Florida etc. The PNW would be great NHL market today.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Id like to see a three team expansion to Seattle, Portland and Quebec and have them share in Coyotes dispersal draft. Again, it's really too bad that the league could not have gotten into Seattle and Portland in the 90's instead of Columbus Florida etc. The PNW would be great NHL market today.
Florida was much better option in early 90's (And lets not forget it was a pretty damn good success for NHL in 90's)

Sonics owner killed NHL chances when he did the Key Arena redesign in mid 90's and Allen didn't have much interest last round of expansion. Columbus was and still is a great choice

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:08 PM
The Korean*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Completely different situation, you're way off base here.

The Thrashers were kicked out of their arena. The Coyotes have an arena that the city is begging to keep them in.
Fair enough.

Still convinced Bettman isnt anti-Canada. Lets keep in mind expansion in the sun states began with LA kings over 40 years ago

Last edited by The Korean*: 07-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old
07-11-2013, 05:23 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Fair enough.

Still convinced Bettman isnt anti-Canada. Lets keep in mind expansion in the sun states began with LA kings over 40 years ago
Plus Dallas, Tampa Bay, San Jose, and Florida were actually all agreed to before Bettman. Often overlooked but whatever.

In my opinion Portland and Seattle make more sense to the league partners than getting into another over-saturated market in Canada. Sure they know what they have there, but if I am league owner I vote for these two first without a second thought.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

Allen showed little interest in NHL in past. He only showed interest when Rose Garden was no longer under his control and he was trying to get it back (Thus why him pretending to have interest in NHL team came up ,, Good PR)

Once he got control of Rose Garden again he dropped all interest in NHL team. I don't buy him having legit interest

I think he's enough of a businessman to understand whether or not it makes sense to get a second anchor tenant for their operation. Given that it's not a huge market, having an NBA and NHL team might not be a bad thing for them. It was mentioned that the price for which the team could be gotten was a factor, thus pretty clear it would be a 'business' decision.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:11 PM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I think he's enough of a businessman to understand whether or not it makes sense to get a second anchor tenant for their operation. Given that it's not a huge market, having an NBA and NHL team might not be a bad thing for them. It was mentioned that the price for which the team could be gotten was a factor, thus pretty clear it would be a 'business' decision.
Is Portland large enough to support both and NBA and NHL team? I don't have the data in front of me, but wouldn't it be the smallest market to have both? I think Denver is currently the smallest market to have both NBA and NHL, and it has about 1 million more people than Portland.

MuzikMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:14 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

I'm in Portland and I somewhat agree with you. However, the reason for this leak is different than the reason for his supposed earlier interest, and this might be a factor. It might not.

What I believe: Allen probably wanted in on a discount, or he wants Bill Gallacher to make the purchase and (much like the Sounders to CenturyLink) Allen gets an ownership interest in exchange for better terms renting the Rose Garden. Gallacher, as owner of the Winterhawks, is an interesting wildcard in this situation, which is very different from the days when Phoenix and Pittsburgh rumors ran rampant.

So is Merritt Paulson. The main columnist in town is about to name him as more influential than Allen. The point: between Paulson and Gallacher, the impetus for making a challenge to Allen has begun.

Paulson is getting so much traction in Portland (never mind the Timbers, he's got 12,000 a game for the Portland Thorns) that he could be thinking of getting another sport.

The city is now seen as trying to squelch Memorial Coliseum. Wednesday night games against a Tri-City or a Prince George are simply not big draws in the Rose Garden, which is why the Winterhawks split time between RG and MC. Would Gallacher consider building his own rink if the MC plans fall apart? That could take a lot of concert business from Allen (who has managing rights at MC as well as RG).

So it's possible Allen has to get a team... or at least look like he's trying to get a team. What happens from here is anyone's guess.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
Is Portland large enough to support both and NBA and NHL team? I don't have the data in front of me, but wouldn't it be the smallest market to have both? I think Denver is currently the smallest market to have both NBA and NHL, and it has about 1 million more people than Portland.

It's larger than Nashville, Pittsburgh (no NBA but MLB + NFL), and close to St. Louis's size. Buffalo is the smallest, hosting an NHL and NFL team.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:19 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Denver is only 100,000-200,000 larger than Portland.

I think you're right about how Portland would be the smallest with both NBA and NHL. It is the largest market with only one of the "big 4." That could be a factor here.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
Denver is only 100,000-200,000 larger than Portland.

I think you're right about how Portland would be the smallest with both NBA and NHL. It is the largest market with only one of the "big 4." That could be a factor here.

However, read my post. There are other markets that have more than just one major league team which are smaller. The benefit to an arena owner or manager is getting the second anchor tenant-- or keeping one out of a competing arena, which usually only works if you have at least one anchor tenant.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:48 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
I'm in Portland and I somewhat agree with you. However, the reason for this leak is different than the reason for his supposed earlier interest, and this might be a factor. It might not.

What I believe: Allen probably wanted in on a discount, or he wants Bill Gallacher to make the purchase and (much like the Sounders to CenturyLink) Allen gets an ownership interest in exchange for better terms renting the Rose Garden. Gallacher, as owner of the Winterhawks, is an interesting wildcard in this situation, which is very different from the days when Phoenix and Pittsburgh rumors ran rampant.

So is Merritt Paulson. The main columnist in town is about to name him as more influential than Allen. The point: between Paulson and Gallacher, the impetus for making a challenge to Allen has begun.

Paulson is getting so much traction in Portland (never mind the Timbers, he's got 12,000 a game for the Portland Thorns) that he could be thinking of getting another sport.

The city is now seen as trying to squelch Memorial Coliseum. Wednesday night games against a Tri-City or a Prince George are simply not big draws in the Rose Garden, which is why the Winterhawks split time between RG and MC. Would Gallacher consider building his own rink if the MC plans fall apart? That could take a lot of concert business from Allen (who has managing rights at MC as well as RG).

So it's possible Allen has to get a team... or at least look like he's trying to get a team. What happens from here is anyone's guess.
PCS, I think the argument you make here is a fair and valid one, and honestly, I kind of wonder about that as well.

That all said, this news coming out is very interesting not only for the NHL to Portland, but the NHL to Seattle as well IMO. If Allen is genuinely interested in pursuing an NHL team, and based on this story there seems to be no reason to doubt that, the league ought to be on the phone with him like this second to discuss his interest further, as IMO there not only are options for Allen in Portland, there are ones as well in Seattle with the B/L group. If you wonder what the options could be for Allen in Seattle w/Bartosek and Lanza, I would suggest taking a look at the Sounders management and operations structure for clues. Joe Roth and Drew Carey may own the team, but they have Allen's people running it, and the results speak for themselves.

I would argue that a similar arrangement could be set up for a Seattle NHL team (Bartosek and Lanza buy the team/Allen manages it through Vulcan), and frankly, considering the track record the Allen folks in Seattle have in getting new sports properties off the ground (Sounders and the Boeing Classic golf tourney, which they also manage), if Seattle has to get a team on short notice, they're the guys to make things happen in a hurry.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:52 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Portland would have a lot of the same market characteristics as Seattle, with the regional draw and what not. The only differences between PDX and SEA are PDX has a building and it's a little farther down I-5 for the Canadians to travel, but hey, if Canadians pack the buildings up and down the West Coast when VAN/CGY/EDM roll into town, it's not going to be too difficult to get them into Portland. I think, and PCS can correct me if I'm wrong, but you can fly out of PDX to all three Western Canadian NHL cities?

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:30 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
I think, and PCS can correct me if I'm wrong, but you can fly out of PDX to all three Western Canadian NHL cities?
A couple nonstops to Calgary (and NOT cheap), nothing direct to Edmonton, but plenty of cheaper one-stop trips. More than a few to Vancouver.