HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Allen was interested in purchasing Coyotes for Portland (UPD: #94 confirmed)

Old
07-11-2013, 09:34 PM
DyerMaker66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Mind to explain ?

Jets were not an expansion team btw.
I'm guessing that he thinks because Bettman's hands were tied and he was forced to go to Winnipeg that means Bettman loves Canada.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:30 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I'm guessing that he thinks because Bettman's hands were tied and he was forced to go to Winnipeg that means Bettman loves Canada.
He wasnt forced to go to Winnipeg and he certainly didnt take away the original Jets neither.

MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 07-11-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: ot
The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:38 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
He wasnt forced to go to Winnipeg and he certainly didnt take away the original Jets neither.

MOD
Nah, he had 17 different options and chose the city that was the closest to his heart.

Clearly he loves Da' Peg over excellent franchise locations such as Phoenix.

MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 07-11-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: no need for that
DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:44 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

The CSN guy who reported this, Dwight Jaynes, was on KJR today:

http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/player...l&mid=23453131

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 03:32 PM
hisgirlfriday

So what would the Portland hockey franchise be named.

Portland Polar Bears?

hisgirlfriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:03 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post

Portland Polar Bears?
I doubt that the Rosebuds are brought back and the Winterhawks will be vetoed by the Blackhawks, so probably just some new name.

I'd almost say the Portland Lumberjacks, but with how environmental the crowd is out there I doubt that that'd name would fly.

It'd probably be just some random name that has a fringe connection to the area, is fairly safe, and is instantly forgettable.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post

Portland Polar Bears?

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:24 PM
dilbert719

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I doubt that the Rosebuds are brought back and the Winterhawks will be vetoed by the Blackhawks, so probably just some new name.

I'd almost say the Portland Lumberjacks, but with how environmental the crowd is out there I doubt that that'd name would fly.

It'd probably be just some random name that has a fringe connection to the area, is fairly safe, and is instantly forgettable.
The rose theme in Portland is strong enough that I could see a team named the Portland Thorns.

dilbert719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:43 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert719 View Post
The rose theme in Portland is strong enough that I could see a team named the Portland Thorns.
already taken by the womens pro soccer team.

gstommylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:50 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Portland Pioneers

In keeping with the Portland Trail Blazers, Oregon Trail theme.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 09:58 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
If both got teams, who would move to the Midwest/Central?
Assuming that Phoenix goes to Portland, and Seattle gets an expansion franchise nobody moves, the divisions would be 8/7/8/8 like so...

PACIFICCENTRALEASTATLANTIC
AnaheimChicagoBostonCarolina
CalgaryColoradoBuffaloColumbus
EdmontonDallasDetroitNew Jersey
Los AngelesMinnesotaFloridaNY Islanders
PortlandNashvilleMontrealNY Rangers
San JoseSt LouisOttawaPhiladelphia
SeattleWinnipegTampaPittsburgh
Vancouver TorontoWashington

And the speculation would start about KC/Houston to fill in CENTRAL.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Grudy0

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post

MOD
Quote:
Nah, he had 17 different options and chose the city that was the closest to his heart.

Clearly he loves Da' Peg over excellent franchise locations such as Phoenix.

MOD
I'm asking for a bit of latitude in this...

We clearly have the hindsight of history now, and can actually employ it as a history can repeat itself ideal...

The original Jets were purchased by Burke and Gluckstern, and had attempted to move the team to Minnesota and Target Center. When the state and local governments balked at the handouts, Jerry Colangelo (of the NBA Suns and MLB Diamondbacks) welcomed them with open arms.

Is the NHL supposed to allow the movement of the Jets to Minneapolis but disallow it to Phoenix? I bring this up, because...

After year one of owning the Coyotes in the desert, the NHL found a willing partner in True North Sports and Entertainment, to allow their name to be tossed about regarding the relocation of the Coyotes so that the City of Glendale would help underwrite the Phoenix Coyotes losses. So when two teams were up for relocation, the NHL could get one to Winnipeg. Which is exactly what happened when the owners of the Thrashers didn't want the NHL in their building anymore.

It was a back-room deal. And I'd infer that there could be another of these deals in Seattle.

Which now leads me to Portland. Paul Allen tried to buy the Penguins ages ago, and was also involved in the Coyotes once before. He's been kicking that can for a while. And let's not forget that there are many NHL owners that are NBA owners as well. If Allen doesn't mind an expansion franchise, and Seattle doesn't either, then I could see that type of expansion happening relatively quickly, a la the Ducks/Panthers additions.

I pointed this out in another thread:

There aren't any teams that are portable now. There may be one five years from now. Anyone want to give any ideas how to get Portland (with a billionaire owner controlling the arena), Seattle (with billionaire partners in the arena and possible NBA team) and Quebec (billionaire TV magnate running the new arena) into the League other than expansion?

Grudy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:12 PM
silvercanuck

I like the Buckaroos name. It was the traditional hockey name going all the way back to the 30's and several HHOF members are associated with it. Maybe shorten it to Bucks, but use that name.

I know people some people from Oregon like Pioneers name but to me that is really boring. "Pioneers" just doesn't sound like a hockey team name. A hockey name should sound a little fierce or quirky. "Pioneers" sounds like a museum tour.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:22 PM
pdxshark
@jmbradd

If Portland got a team my jumping for joy might set off the locked up cascade subduction zone; thus ruining both markets.

I think portland and seattle both getting teams would be good for the league. Portland has a lot of extra "sports money" floating around and if Allen were interested, it would make sense to have a 2nd major tenant in the rose garden and have some consolidated core teams to save money (the blazers have not made money in a long time from my understanding).

pdxshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:30 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
I like the Buckaroos name. It was the traditional hockey name going all the way back to the 30's and several HHOF members are associated with it. Maybe shorten it to Bucks, but use that name.

I know people some people from Oregon like Pioneers name but to me that is really boring. "Pioneers" just doesn't sound like a hockey team name. A hockey name should sound a little fierce or quirky. "Pioneers" sounds like a museum tour.
...which potentially ensures Portlanders voting for it.

In reality, when I was growing up here, Pioneers was the runaway favorite name for a theoretical new NFL team. Since that was 30 years ago and this IS Portlandia, I have no clue what to expect next.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:01 PM
aemoreira1981

This would not surprise me...the Rose Garden is already suitable for NHL hockey or can be made so very quickly. The only question might be: where would the Portland Winterhawks end up, and how would that bode for WHL realignment, given that major junior hockey is largely a bus league?

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
This would not surprise me...the Rose Garden is already suitable for NHL hockey or can be made so very quickly. The only question might be: where would the Portland Winterhawks end up, and how would that bode for WHL realignment, given that major junior hockey is largely a bus league?
IMO, it's possible for the Winterhawks to stay put, albeit moving to the Memorial Coliseum full time. Given the history and following they have, I find it hard to believe they just be swept under the rug. Not to mention a 2.2 million metro area, I think the market is big enough.

An added benefit is if Bill Gallacher (owner of the Winterhawks) is involved with the NHL team. If the ticket demand for the NHL team is high, he could use the Hawks as a way of getting future NHL season ticket holders on board. Not necessarily the only way, but by buying Hawks tickets you move up the wait list. Either way, I think the Hawks have a better chance of staying if they're under the NHL ownership umbrella.

But, if they couldn't survive, I see them going to Winnipeg, if the rumours of True North wanting a team to play out of the MTS Centre are true. Kootenay moves to the US Division (renamed "South"), Winnipeg plays in a 7-team East Division, or Swift Current moves to the Central Division.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

As someone currently living in portland (haven't updated the stuff under my avatar yet...) Pioneers would probably work - one of the main areas downtown is Pioneer Square, along with the oregon trail stuff, etc.

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...terest-in-nhl/

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:21 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

As much as I want to see the Nordiques come back, a double expansion into the American Pacific Northwest would be awesome for the NHL. That region has to be, hands down, the biggest question mark area for why they've never had an NHL team.

Could definitely see a three-way Battle of Cascadia really develop between Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland in quick fashion.

Old
08-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

You know what jumps out at me?
Trail Blazers President/CEO Chris McGowan confirmed that report, suggesting that billionaire owner Paul Allen (pictured) is intrigued at the thought of adding an NHL team to his pro sports portfolio that already includes an NBA franchise (the Blazers) an NFL team (the Seattle Seahawks), and an MLS club (Seattle Sounders).

Allen is a Seattle guy. Unless he's really solely interested due to the NBA-NHL co-tenancy in Portland (which would be a sound reason), Seattle would make more sense for him otherwise especially if he partnered with Hansen on the arena. That would become a very lucrative venue. It's not like he doesn't have the money to do any of the above.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:27 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
You know what jumps out at me?
Trail Blazers President/CEO Chris McGowan confirmed that report, suggesting that billionaire owner Paul Allen (pictured) is intrigued at the thought of adding an NHL team to his pro sports portfolio that already includes an NBA franchise (the Blazers) an NFL team (the Seattle Seahawks), and an MLS club (Seattle Sounders).

Allen is a Seattle guy. Unless he's really solely interested due to the NBA-NHL co-tenancy in Portland (which would be a sound reason), Seattle would make more sense for him otherwise especially if he partnered with Hansen on the arena. That would become a very lucrative venue. It's not like he doesn't have the money to do any of the above.
All true, but he already has the venue ready and rearing to go in Portland. He would have to sink significantly less costs into opening up an NHL team in Portland than would be the case in Seattle, whether that be through expansion or relocation.

Old
08-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Allen bought the Seahawks out of a sense of civic duty and his stake in the Sounders is primarily about keeping the cash they generate in CenturyLink Field. Unless he controls the Seattle arena, he won't care about putting a team there... hockey would be all about making money in Portland.

ETA: This is pretty huge news. The only question for me now is whether they want Portland AND Seattle or Portland OR Seattle.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
As much as I want to see the Nordiques come back, a double expansion into the American Pacific Northwest would be awesome for the NHL. That region has to be, hands down, the biggest question mark area for why they've never had an NHL team.

Could definitely see a three-way Battle of Cascadia really develop between Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland in quick fashion.
I dont see expending into two non-hockey markets very close to one another as an awesome thing. But what do I know? I'm biased as all hell.

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:30 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
I dont see expending into two non-hockey markets very close to one another as an awesome thing. But what do I know? I'm biased as all hell.
Don't confuse two non-NHL markets with two non-hockey markets.

Portland and Seattle both have very long histories of professional and especially junior hockey.