HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brendan Smith files for salary arbitration

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Henkka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
If the buyout thing really is true, I bet the Wings asked him to do this.
We need at least two guys for arbitration...

Quote:
However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to exercise such an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period.
So let's ask Nyquist or Andersson...

Old
07-10-2013, 05:39 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Wonder how often they will quote Zetterberg's line about creating chances... for both teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
How about showing them our GDT's from the Chicago series?

He was the Hawks' MVP of that series.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:42 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Smith had a lousy year statistically (and in all other ways). I fail to see why everyone is writing down a huge cap hit for the guy now, just because he filed for arb. He won't get a huge contract out of arb, though he may still get one out of Holland.
Sort of a part of Smith's argument will be that he was #3 in playoff ice time and tied for the team lead in defensive scoring.

Also he will come up with player comparisons and relative market value. He might even argue in front of the arbitrator with press clippings backing this up that he was stuck in the minors "while ready" losing money.

This will be an interesting case, can see him getting somewhere between 3.5 to 4.5 over 2 years. Also will a two year contract take him to another RFA deal just short of UFA?

Quite frankly I am pretty happy with this, it means we cannot fall victim to an offer-sheet on him.

It will be interesting to see how each side approaches this, I actually hope they don't trash Smith too hard trying to bring down his price. Arbitration can be a very ugly part of this business.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post

They might be. Maybe that's part of negotiations. Don't players only get to file for arbitration a limited amount of times? It could be something like a little bit better of a contract in exchange for burning their arbitration rights.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:50 PM
SirKillalot

Well. Smith might just be doing this to avoid getting offer sheets.

07-10-2013, 05:54 PM
SimplySolace
"We like our team"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post

What about this..?

"@jessespector Don't teams need a second hearing to qualify for the 2nd buyout period?

@BrandonPeleshok No."

Old
07-10-2013, 05:54 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
This will be an interesting case, can see him getting somewhere between 3.5 to 4.5 over 2 years. Also will a two year contract take him to another RFA deal just short of UFA?

Quite frankly I am pretty happy with this, it means we cannot fall victim to an offer-sheet on him.
And I don't think the Wings will have much problems with a similar sum. Not much downside for the Wings, not much upside for Smith. Spells for settling this in time and calling it "part of the process".

Old
07-10-2013, 05:55 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
And I don't think the Wings will have much problems with a similar sum. Not much downside for the Wings, not much upside for Smith. Spells for settling this in time and calling it "part of the process".
We don't know how much interest is out there, but I think this shows Smith wants to be a Red Wing as odd as that sounds. He just wants to kick the process in high gear and doing this helps that step take place.

By the way for those pointing to it, I don't know that either Andersson or Nyquist are eligible for this yet. Andersson might be because of age, but not quite sure Nyquist even has this option yet.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:58 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
We don't know how much interest is out there, but I think this shows Smith wants to be a Red Wing as odd as that sounds. He just wants to kick the process in high gear and doing this helps that step take place.
Yeah, we've seen these things go well into training camp and whatnot. That's a bad deal for everyone.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:13 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
Well. Smith might just be doing this to avoid getting offer sheets.
why would Smith want to avoid getting offer sheets? it's not like he has to sign them if he doesn't want to

Old
07-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Chance on Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
why would Smith want to avoid getting offer sheets? it's not like he has to sign them if he doesn't want to
speeds up the process this way?

Old
07-10-2013, 06:40 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Good luck getting that big contract, Brendan.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

More importantly for Smith, he's not going to be sitting in No Man's Land, waiting for all the other chips to drop, maybe traded if he's not willing to take a low ball offer. His agent may have been willing to play along but is it really in a player's interest to file for arb if the agent believes an offer sheet is possible? Let's assume he knows he wants to stay, then filing for arb gives them certainty that a contract will be done by early August-- at the latest. And it will have to reflect market value. He's also not going to end up signing for more than 1 or 2 years base on just the past year's data points.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Smith is either really cool for doing this, or a total d-bag.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Eternal Sunshine

To be entirely honest, I'm surprised our RFA's don't do this all the time. Holland is the lowball offer legend.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:51 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Smith has done nothing to deserve a raise more than the mandatory 5% or whatever.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Number 9*

I'm not sure how Smith thinks this is a good move? He's been just above not very good.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

here is the thing, if smith wasnt drafted by the DRW how much money would he have already earned in the NHL(would his bank account balance be bigger) if he was to have played for the isles, the leafs, the flames, the bolts, the panthers, etc?

if its more then what he earned last year, 900k pro-rated to a 48 game year, then that means he has lost NHL money, and if he is anything like all other human beings he dosent like losing money and now wants it back

thats the game you play when you prefer a longer development period outside the NHL

Old
07-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
Smith is either really cool for doing this, or a total d-bag.
Why a total d-bag? Let's not forget that the Wings kept him in the AHL when he should have been in the NHL. They definitely owe him a bit.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:04 PM
obey86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
lol I was gonna say the exact same thing.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Yzerberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
here is the thing, if smith wasnt drafted by the DRW how much money would he have already earned in the NHL(would his bank account balance be bigger) if he was to have played for the isles, the leafs, the flames, the bolts, the panthers, etc?

if its more then what he earned last year, 900k pro-rated to a 48 game year, then that means he has lost NHL money, and if he is anything like all other human beings he dosent like losing money and now wants it back

thats the game you play when you prefer a longer development period outside the NHL
An interesting point.

The other side of that is those teams you mention don't exactly have a great track record of developing NHL players. Pretty good possibility with a team like the Isles Smitty is already out of the NHL by the end of his first contract or is a career journeyman/AHLer. It could still go that way for him but at least he's going to get at least one decent NHL contract out of his hockey career.

Last edited by Yzerberg: 07-10-2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: added more words
Old
07-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzerberg View Post
An interesting point.

The other side of that is those teams you mention don't exactly have a great track record of developing NHL players. Pretty good possibility with a team like the Isles Smitty is already out of the NHL by the end of his first contract or is a career journeyman/AHLer. It could still go that way for him but at least he's going to get at least one decent NHL contract out of his hockey career.
detroit hasent drafted and devloped a good player who wouldnt have been good had they been drafted elsewhere

we have perhaps developed a player who would have been a bum elsewhere and turned them into a legit career player(maybe a maltby or draper kinda guy) but thats about it

but if smith is good and is a legit NHL dman he would be so no matter where he was drafted to

if i were him i would want to know the average total NHL earnings of all 2007 1st rd drafted players, subtract what I have made total and demand the difference

so if the average 2007 1st rounder has made a combined 2.5 million and i have made just 500k then i want that 2 milion or whatever it happens to be

Old
07-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzerberg View Post
An interesting point.

They repressed him more than developed him! Coaches wanted him up two years ago. On most other teams, he would have been worked in after he left the NCAA, maybe splitting time between the A and NHL. Some teams develop their players in the NHL. The main reason the Wings didn't do so is due to their own philosophy of having old guys mixed in even at the lower level, and the glut ahead of Smitty due to the carryover from those 2008+ rosters, which put a squeeze on Quincey, Ericsson and Kindl as well.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Bench
#notmyroof

How often have Wings players gone to arbitration? I'm trying to remember.

But I know league wide, this is pretty common and not necessarily a sign of any hard feelings, just business.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
How often have Wings players gone to arbitration? I'm trying to remember.

But I know league wide, this is pretty common and not necessarily a sign of any hard feelings, just business.
All I can think of is Hudler?

Closed Thread