HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Five members of the Winnipeg Jets file for salary arbitration

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2013, 09:17 PM
  #51
knorthern knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,846
vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Is that 2013 cba? I had heard that the arbitration no offer sheet thing was gone (one of the few player wins from cba)
Yes, 2013. I cut-pasted directly off the PDF file downloaded from URL http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...A_2013_CBA.pdf (warning over 11 megabytes). Note that there are 20 pages of "table of contents", etc. so "page 58 of the agreement" is actually physical page 78 of the PDF file.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:21 PM
  #52
Tintin's Ghost
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
Problem is allot of the criticism isn't constructive and is just spewed venom for really no reason
I agree that in a debate there is lowest-common denominator on every side of the argument that dilutes the overall discussion with insults and inferring things that aren't there. However, I think the debate on the reasons behind Burmi's exit from Winnipeg are illuminative and healthy debate so far. Some of are perhaps unnecessarily worrying. However, there may be, unfortunately, some truth to Noel being a problem in this instance.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:32 PM
  #53
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,150
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
I agree that in a debate there is lowest-common denominator on every side of the argument that dilutes the overall discussion with insults and inferring things that aren't there. However, I think the debate on the reasons behind Burmi's exit from Winnipeg are illuminative and healthy debate so far. Some of are perhaps unnecessarily worrying. However, there may be, unfortunately, some truth to Noel being a problem in this instance.
No where have I said that Noel gets no blame in this. Because there needs to be some laid upon him.
But there are always the same people in these burmistrov thread laying pretty much all the blame on him. Which IMO is not right.

Burmistrov gets the majority of that.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:36 PM
  #54
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
My guess is Ron 'the negotiator' Hainsey has kept the boys pretty well versed in the current cba clauses and educated them on their contract rights.

I don't think this is a play to get to UFA status sooner, to leave, rather i see it as a play to exercise their contract rights and push for the best deal they can make. I still see long term deals for all 3 before it gets to arbitration hearings.

Bob E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:22 PM
  #55
boanst
Registered User
 
boanst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 283
vCash: 590
This really should not come as a surprise. We had a very high number of rfa to start, having a high number of arbritration cases possible shouldnt be a surprise. I dont know but I bet its proportional across the league: most rfa results in most arbitration cases.

boanst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:42 PM
  #56
larmex99
HFBoards Sponsor
 
larmex99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mexico
Country: Mexico
Posts: 363
vCash: 1312
In the end this is all about the size of the contract more than the term imo. Any player who wants out of town just has to play the "get out of town" free card by demanding a trade and they will be traded. If they have a choice of destinations due to a form of a NTC, all the better for them. The low cap this year is making this year's crop of contract seekers just a bit less fabulously wealthy than last year's and next year's. I really think that will be reflected in the final figures for the elite players, of which we have several. Just another challenge for our ownership. As they have always done in their business careers, they will succeed. These are serious men.

larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:53 PM
  #57
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Yes, 2013. I cut-pasted directly off the PDF file downloaded from URL http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...A_2013_CBA.pdf (warning over 11 megabytes). Note that there are 20 pages of "table of contents", etc. so "page 58 of the agreement" is actually physical page 78 of the PDF file.
Will review tommorrow Maybe I am wrong. Thought that was one of the big player wins in the new CBA, maybe not...

Also, I hope the "warning" was directed at others since I think you know I have reviewed that document at length

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:02 AM
  #58
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 50
I got a chuckle out of that one too.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:35 AM
  #59
knorthern knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,846
vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Will review tommorrow Maybe I am wrong. Thought that was one of the big player wins in the new CBA, maybe not...

Also, I hope the "warning" was directed at others since I think you know I have reviewed that document at length
From some of your previous posts, I assumed you had downloaded it already. But I'm sure there are some people on this forum plodding along at 768 kbits. Any dialup users out there? I have a USB dialup modem for emergency backup. I test it out occasionally, especially when installing linux on a new machine. And approx once a year, I actually have to use it for real during an outage... painful. How did we ever survive on dialup?

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:32 AM
  #60
kairobo
Rookie User
 
kairobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
the difference between LA and peg is, that LA doesnt need those players, muzzin is decent but barely a 3rd pairing defender. He is the only one I would keep. but not at any price.
while winnipeg has basicaly their young core to sign, and in the new NHL you cant afford to overpay 3 players

kairobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:41 AM
  #61
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,744
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
My guess is Ron 'the negotiator' Hainsey has kept the boys pretty well versed in the current cba clauses and educated them on their contract rights.

I don't think this is a play to get to UFA status sooner, to leave, rather i see it as a play to exercise their contract rights and push for the best deal they can make. I still see long term deals for all 3 before it gets to arbitration hearings.
I'm sure its more them making decisions based on their agents being well versed in the CBA to push for the best deal they can make...
After all, it's kinda why you hire them haha.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:51 AM
  #62
SensibleGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 50
Its a little concerning to me that our three "big guns" are on this list while none of the rest are that critical to their teams. I expect this is the way it'll often be for Winnipeg though. We ain't getting any "hometown discounts" from anyone I guess. Every big contract negotiation is going to get pushed to the limit while players try and squeeze every last ounce of juice from the lemon.

SensibleGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:57 AM
  #63
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,150
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
Its a little concerning to me that our three "big guns" are on this list while none of the rest are that critical to their teams. I expect this is the way it'll often be for Winnipeg though. We ain't getting any "hometown discounts" from anyone I guess. Every big contract negotiation is going to get pushed to the limit while players try and squeeze every last ounce of juice from the lemon.
Wouldnt you?

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:07 AM
  #64
Resurrection
Registered User
 
Resurrection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 50
The point is that other teams seem to be able to get a hometown discount. I hope it happens for us. Maybe Ladd counts?

Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:10 AM
  #65
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,150
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
The point is that other teams seem to be able to get a hometown discount. I hope it happens for us. Maybe Ladd counts?
worked well for ottawa and alfredsson didnt it

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:25 AM
  #66
SensibleGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 50
Alfredsson is famous for signing deals with Ottawa for 17 years that were considered lower than he could have gotten though. He got flak from the union for it...

I just very much doubt that Chevy hasn't made reasonable offers to all three guys. None of them will sign anything until they know there's nothing more coming. Every contract will be the absolute maximum it can possibly be and will be signed at the last minute...

I think being a pro sports fan requires you develop a pretty hard shell of cynicism. All the players coming to Winnipeg hit the usual talking points - its awesome to play in front of a great knowledgeable fan base in a full arena like MTS yadda yadda. The reality is they are all just as happy playing in front of 6,000 hardcore golf fanatics in a city where they can hit the beach on off days...they might even do it for less money.

SensibleGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:00 AM
  #67
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 5,925
vCash: 350
Just throwing this out there for discussion...

Wouldn't the fact that if 5 of your players have filed for arbitration, this "could" point to the fact that the GM is low balling his offers to the players and rather firmly in doing that?

I fully understand that when it comes to negotiating a salary, the club is obviously going to start off this process at the low end of the scale and the player will start off at the high end of the scale, and then you have some back and forth until you come to a point that both sides agree on and you are done. But to me if it ends up actually going to arbitration, then the above process has failed. The blame in that failure can be on either side still... the team being too cheap or the player being unreasonable.

I would hope that the filing for arbitration on the players side is just a negotiating tack and not indicative of a franchise that has decided that making a profit will always come before winning.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:22 AM
  #68
Samcanadian
Registered User
 
Samcanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,464
vCash: 54
How much free time do these guys even get? Between practices, morning skates, preparing before and after games and then road trips how much time would they even spend in Winnipeg?

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:23 AM
  #69
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,150
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Just throwing this out there for discussion...

Wouldn't the fact that if 5 of your players have filed for arbitration, this "could" point to the fact that the GM is low balling his offers to the players and rather firmly in doing that?

I fully understand that when it comes to negotiating a salary, the club is obviously going to start off this process at the low end of the scale and the player will start off at the high end of the scale, and then you have some back and forth until you come to a point that both sides agree on and you are done. But to me if it ends up actually going to arbitration, then the above process has failed. The blame in that failure can be on either side still... the team being too cheap or the player being unreasonable.

I would hope that the filing for arbitration on the players side is just a negotiating tack and not indicative of a franchise that has decided that making a profit will always come before winning.

If one player goes to arbitration, i can deal with that, especially if its postma.

but if 2 or 3 go.... I have a serious issue with what Chevy has done.

But without knowing what the current offers are, tough to lay "blame" on either side.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:27 AM
  #70
SensibleGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 50
gonna be interesting to see what happens. Bogo, Little and Wheeler are big contracts. If they all go for the absolute max that they might see themselves as "deserving" we could be in trouble...

SensibleGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:36 AM
  #71
seasontixholder
Registered User
 
seasontixholder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 661
vCash: 576
Maybe these players don't want to play for Noel like Burmi? Just a hunch. No proof.

seasontixholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:42 AM
  #72
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Howard Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
gonna be interesting to see what happens. Bogo, Little and Wheeler are big contracts. If they all go for the absolute max that they might see themselves as "deserving" we could be in trouble...
And if those salaries eat up the cap space, those players will find themselves with no big FA signings to help them win games. Tough call, do you take a little less on the condition that Chevy uses the money to help the team win more games, or say screw it, all that matters is my salary?

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:06 AM
  #73
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,002
vCash: 574
Obviously an unsigned player who is arb eligible will file for it. Its a negotiating tactic on their side. Not sure why people are reading so much into this.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:58 AM
  #74
EpicGingy
Registered User
 
EpicGingy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 50
I'm a little disappointed that they filed for arbitration, but I hope it doesn't actually go to them actually requiring it.

The last thing we need is for them to push it to the max to get the most money they can.

Considering 5 players on our team filed I'm going to question the way Chevy has treated negotiations but without any insight it's hard to definitively blame him for this. But if they get signed to reasonable contracts I won't really care about this.

EpicGingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:29 PM
  #75
Zhamnov10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 780
vCash: 500
I would replace Tangradi immediately he his in no position to be pushing for more money he hasn't even proved he is a full time NHL decent guy to have around at this point definitely not worth a whole lot,same goes for Postma I'm sure the jets have tried to move him only to find out there were no takers luckily we already have replacements for Postma. I would be willing to bet that the jets let both of these guys walk and I would be totally ok with it ,we could use the cap space to add another quality player.

Zhamnov10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.