HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Price vs. Rask (Consider Contracts)

View Poll Results: Which goalie do you take on your team, considering contracts?
Price (5 more years at $6.5 million per) 76 34.08%
Rask (8 more years at $7 million per) 147 65.92%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
RASK HAS BEEN A STARTER FOR ONE SEASON.

He also ha the benefit of playing behind probably the best defensive team in the league.
TWO SEASONS GOD DAMMIT.

And how are we the best defensive team?

Besides Chara we have Seidenberg (good but trending downward this year), Ference (not that good at all), Hamilton Krug and Bartkowski (rookies all offensive minded), McQuaid (serviceable number 6 tough guy). I don't look at that on paper and think we have the best defense haha. If you watched more than a couple Bruins games you'd see what I'm talking about.

Seriously the whole "Rask is only good because of the team in front of him" crap gets old especially coming from fans of a team with the current Norris winner. Kind of a double standard

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:21 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
RASK HAS BEEN A STARTER FOR ONE SEASON.

He also ha the benefit of playing behind probably the best defensive team in the league.
Did you know that Luongo posted an almost identical even strength save percentage playing for Florida as Vancouver? Backstrom under the best defensive coach in league history (Lemaire) as Richards/Yeo? That the average change in save percentage when a goalie changes teams is worth less than 2 goals a year?

The team you play behind doesn't matter as much as you seem to think.

Also, RASK MAY HAVE BEEN THE STARTER FOR JUST ONE SEASON, but he's also faced over 4,500 shots at the NHL level and his evsv% is among the best in the league.

A goalie who has faced almost 5,000 shots and stopped them at an elite level doesn't typically suddenly falter massively when faced with the daunting task of an extra 10-15 starts... Believe what you want.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Suddenly7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
TWO SEASONS GOD DAMMIT.

And how are we the best defensive team?

Besides Chara we have Seidenberg (good but trending downward this year), Ference (not that good at all), Hamilton Krug and Bartkowski (rookies all offensive minded), McQuaid (serviceable number 6 tough guy). I don't look at that on paper and think we have the best defense haha. If you watched more than a couple Bruins games you'd see what I'm talking about.

Seriously the whole "Rask is only good because of the team in front of him" crap gets old especially coming from fans of a team with the current Norris winner. Kind of a double standard
Just to point out Chara and Seidenberg were able to stop the Crosby line in the playoffs. Much less they one of the best shutdown defensemens in the league last season. They are usually covering the best line the opponent have to offer every game. Any team would love to have any of those two players on their team.

When I mention Boston is the best defensive team in the league I didn't just mean there defensemen. They have some of the best defensive forwards in the league as well. I don't know any other team that has as many two way forwards as Boston.

Given the choice I would pick Price since he has been able to dealt with horrible defense and no support. Rask is good as well.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:27 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Rask is the better goalie, contracts are similar.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Tuomaz

If Rask would be canadian Price wouldn't have a single vote.

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:55 PM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
If Rask would be canadian Price wouldn't have a single vote.
If price played for Boston Rask wouldn't have a single vote.

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Dominate Kesler

Rask is a significantly better goalie getting paid slightly more. Rask without hesitation.

Dominate Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Marc9

Price

But then again i'm a habs fan

Marc9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponomega View Post
Rask.

Until Price proves he can handle playoff pressure. As of right now the only goalies more unreliable than him in the playoffs are probably Fleury and Bryzgalov.
What about that goalie who is only one of three in history to blow a 3-0 series lead (and a 3-0 game lead) AND let in two goals in 17 seconds to lose the SC? Sounds like he can't really handle playoff pressure even with a way better D. What was his name? Something about two Us and two Ks...

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Burke the Legend

Tuuka Rask career save % vs. Montreal Canadiens is .901

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Boobie Miles

Would rather have Price, still think he's the better goalie.

Boobie Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:30 PM
ChesapeakeRipper
🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁

vCash: 0
Rask is money in the bank. price has been inconsistent in the last few years. had some good seasons and had some bad seasons as well. he's a big question mark, so i'll take rask.

ChesapeakeRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:46 PM
KidLine93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
Price has never had a season like Rask's

And Rask's season isn't too far away from the norm for him.

=

Still dissapointed in the contract.
Bruins had to pay that because another team would easily offer Rask that kind of money. Bruins didnt really have a choice. Better than letting an elite goalie walk

KidLine93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:58 PM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterCallSaul View Post
Rask is money in the bank. price has been inconsistent in the last few years. had some good seasons and had some bad seasons as well. he's a big question mark, so i'll take rask.
What? Sounds like your talking out of your ass.

Price was having a great season until the last 2 weeks derailed his stats. Last year he had good numbers on a 15th place team. I don't think you know how bad montreals defense can be. And of course the year before he finished 7th in hart voting, while playing 72 games.

Price has just as many ?s as Rask, seeing how he has never played over 45 games in a year, and has a phenomenal team/system in front of him.

Just the ol' what have you done for me lately mentality of HF.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin

Quote:
What? Sounds like your talking out of your ass.

Price was having a great season until the last 2 weeks derailed his stats. Last year he had good numbers on a 15th place team. I don't think you know how bad montreals defense can be. And of course the year before he finished 7th in hart voting, while playing 72 games.

Price has just as many ?s as Rask, seeing how he has never played over 45 games in a year, and has a phenomenal team/system in front of him.

Just the ol' what have you done for me lately mentality of HF.
Not really. Price had the single best defenseman in front of him this year, as well as the NE winner and the #2 seed.

And how bad were his 'last 2 weeks' to bring his SV% down to one of the lowest in the league? That's not something you just brush off.

Rask has played 55(58?) games now twice, and in both years he had elite numbers.

Chieftans22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:20 PM
CP31

Quote:
Not really. Price had the single best defenseman in front of him this year, as well as the NE winner and the #2 seed.

And how bad were his 'last 2 weeks' to bring his SV% down to one of the lowest in the league? That's not something you just brush off.

Rask has played 55(58?) games now twice, and in both years he had elite numbers.
Subban won because of points, combined with very good defensive play. He is no Chara though. Chara is miles better than PK in his own zone right now. And if you think that Bostons D-Core and forwards are worse defensively than the Habs, give your head a shake. The ONLY dman I trust in our end is PK, while our only good 2way forward is pretty much plek. Not to mention we played a VERY offensive, aggressive style this year, hence the reason we were top 5 in goals.

In the last 2 weeks, if you watched (which you obviously didn't) the team was an absolute train wreck, while Price was not good either, but he was not the main reason for the last 2 weeks. The team just imploded.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin

Quote:
Subban won because of points, combined with very good defensive play. He is no Chara though. Chara is miles better than PK in his own zone right now. And if you think that Bostons D-Core and forwards are worse defensively than the Habs, give your head a shake. The ONLY dman I trust in our end is PK, while our only good 2way forward is pretty much plek. Not to mention we played a VERY offensive, aggressive style this year, hence the reason we were top 5 in goals.

In the last 2 weeks, if you watched (which you obviously didn't) the team was an absolute train wreck, while Price was not good either, but he was not the main reason for the last 2 weeks. The team just imploded.
Bruins were playing ****** for the last couple of weeks as well, difference in the goalies is one of the goalies bailed out his team as well as he could.

Price was not close to the level Rask was playing at, and you can't shovel the blame onto the team, when they were - at least - above average defensively.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:14 AM
CP31

Quote:
Bruins were playing ****** for the last couple of weeks as well, difference in the goalies is one of the goalies bailed out his team as well as he could.

Price was not close to the level Rask was playing at, and you can't shovel the blame onto the team, when they were - at least - above average defensively.
Wait, Montreal is above average defensively? Did you watch the playoffs?

Old
07-12-2013, 09:23 AM
NewbieOfGames

the real question would be more of like:

Who would you rather have: Carey Price or Roberto Luongo?

or

Who would you rather have: Carey Price or Malcolm Subban?

NewbieOfGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:27 AM
kasper11

I'm a bit confused. The contracts are pretty much a wash (500k difference).

Rask has a career save % of .927.
Price's career best save % was .923.

Price has been relatively average throughout his career. He is comparable to Kari Lehtonen, Cam Ward, Jonas Hiller, Jaroslav Halak, Marc-Andre Fleury etc.

Meanwhile, although Rask has only played 133 regular season games, he has been one of the best goalies in hockey for 133 regular season games.

How is this a contest? How would people rather have a goalie who has proven to be mediocre (maybe occasionally great, but also occasionally bad) over a goalie that has been great?

Oh wait, Price apparently always has a terrible defense in front of him. Of course, Sergei Brobovski was able to shine last year in front of a terrible defense. So was Reimer. Nabokov put up better stats behind the Isles' defense. Sorry, I don't buy the excuse.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Rask is the better goalie at the moment. Price needs to get his **** together.

One of the two cost their team wins last year. I'll take the other guy.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:45 AM
BBB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Halak?

How would the Blues look today if they had given him an 8 year, 56$ million contract in 2010.

BTW I'm not trying to turn this into some kind of Rask vs Price slapfest, clearly Price did not earn his 6.5 million last season. I'm just questioning why the Bruins rushed to give Rask such a huge contract when they could've been a lot more flexible on term at 7$ million AAV?
Rushed, really? Rask has put up superior numbers all throughout his hockey career, he has been with the Bruins for seven seasons, don't think that is rushing a hugh contract. My belief is that in a few years this contract will look like a steal for the Bruins, when the cap goes over 70m after next season this will be super, all those years they bought of Tuukka's UFA years. No one has ever matched his save % he put up this past season in the POs being a starter.

BBB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:50 AM
BBB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
What about that goalie who is only one of three in history to blow a 3-0 series lead (and a 3-0 game lead) AND let in two goals in 17 seconds to lose the SC? Sounds like he can't really handle playoff pressure even with a way better D. What was his name? Something about two Us and two Ks...
Funny how hab fans cry about how supeior the Bruins defence is to the habs, yet you pick out an example where you blame just the goalie. Yes they were up three zero but look at what happened to the team, Bergeron, Krejci, Chara, Lucic, Sturm all injured, not Rask's fault at all. As for the two goals in 17 seconds, again team breakdown, not just on the goalie. Price is a headcase, and I would really like him to fix that before Suchi as I believe he is Canada's only hope for a medal.

BBB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:56 AM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I'm a bit confused. The contracts are pretty much a wash (500k difference).

Rask has a career save % of .927.
Price's career best save % was .923.

Price has been relatively average throughout his career. He is comparable to Kari Lehtonen, Cam Ward, Jonas Hiller, Jaroslav Halak, Marc-Andre Fleury etc.

Meanwhile, although Rask has only played 133 regular season games, he has been one of the best goalies in hockey for 133 regular season games.

How is this a contest? How would people rather have a goalie who has proven to be mediocre (maybe occasionally great, but also occasionally bad) over a goalie that has been great?

Oh wait, Price apparently always has a terrible defense in front of him. Of course, Sergei Brobovski was able to shine last year in front of a terrible defense. So was Reimer. Nabokov put up better stats behind the Isles' defense. Sorry, I don't buy the excuse.
The Montreal system is probably the worst for goalie stats. We allow so few shots but all the chances are good scoring chances for the most part. Never really perimeter shots. Not easy to have a great save percentage with that.

Also, people forget that even after the Toronto game, the GMs voted him as the eastern vezina winner.

Old
07-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin

Quote:
The Montreal system is probably the worst for goalie stats. We allow so few shots but all the chances are good scoring chances for the most part. Never really perimeter shots. Not easy to have a great save percentage with that.

Also, people forget that even after the Toronto game, the GMs voted him as the eastern vezina winner.
And the GMs were wrong. Stop making excuses for him.