HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Orszagh's knee injury has Predators wary

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2005, 09:54 AM
handtrick

vCash: 500
Orszagh's knee injury has Predators wary

It seems Orzagh's knee injury at the World's was more extensive than advertised [he had surgery on his MCL] and may not be ready for camp.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....506140359/1028

Old
06-14-2005, 10:38 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

he's not under contract anyway. i'd be surprised, especially with this latest news, if he was re-signed.

Old
06-14-2005, 11:24 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessean
Predators General Manager David Poile said Nashville would be interested in re-signing Orszagh but would check on the status of his knee first.

"He plays very hard and he's a very good player,'' Poile said. "If it's still our intent to re-sign him, we'd bring him in and check everything out medically.''

That "if" seemed to stand out to me too.

Old
06-14-2005, 11:34 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
That "if" seemed to stand out to me too.

yeah, that's what i noticed. even before the lockout season, some of us felt that Orszagh was one of the more likely to be leaving, especially if Upshall has a good camp.

Old
06-14-2005, 11:52 AM
handtrick

I find it very interesting that Orzagh had his MCL repaired.

The current dogma is that if it is an isolated MCL tear, [like Weber had this year] you treat that non-operatively. Fixing them leads to a lot higher incidence of knee stiffness.
There may be more to the story, like a torn meniscus that needed to be fixed [if that is the case he probably won't be ready by camp].

It appears it was fixed elsewhere [probably in Europe] without the Preds docs being involved. That leads me to wonder if the injury would have been treated the same way here.

Old
06-14-2005, 04:42 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
he's not under contract anyway. i'd be surprised, especially with this latest news, if he was re-signed.
He'd still be an RFA right? Hopefully we'd still keep him as he has some value. I'd hate to lose him outright without getting something for him.

Old
06-14-2005, 04:46 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
He'd still be an RFA right? Hopefully we'd still keep him as he has some value. I'd hate to lose him outright without getting something for him.

Well, if all things remain reasonably sane, he'd be an RFA if we tendered a qualifying offer and he chose not to accept it. If we don't tender that offer, he would become UFA after whatever cutoff date. Making that offer is dangerous because...he could accept it...and coming off an injury like that, he's going to hold very little trade value, especially considering the fact that he didn't have a TON of trade value to begin with.

Old
06-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I disagree with the "danger" in qualifying him. He is a 15/15 guy and is making less than a million post-arbitration. Factor in a potential rollback, and he is dirt-cheap. If insurance is in on the deal, I have no problem carrying him around as a 13th forward until he is game-ready, and if he doesn't work out, we could always put him on waivers......He would almost definitely be picked up. If I was in charge, I would keep him and try to at least get something of worth in a trade, whether it be a low round draft pick (Heck, Chris Mccalister was traded for a 6th round pick, Darby Hendrickson was traded for a 4th rounder and he was in the AHL part of the year last season, and we got an 8th for Timo Helbing) or pick/prospect.

A lot of teams are desirous of the grit/game Orszagh displays...No need to cut him loose unless there is really some major damage to the knee or an extensive recovery time.

06-17-2005, 03:48 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
A lot of teams are desirous of the grit/game Orszagh displays...No need to cut him loose unless there is really some major damage to the knee or an extensive recovery time.
Agreed, if could sign him for cheap why not? His heart and grit are top notch, I still remember the diving head into the post goal he scored in the playoffs.

Closed Thread