HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NAS] Nashville signs Seth Jones to ELC

Old
07-10-2013, 11:13 AM
caley

vCash: 500
[NAS] Nashville signs Seth Jones to ELC

per Joshua Cooper
Quote:
Seth Jones will be signing his contract today per the #preds

Last edited by caley: 07-10-2013 at 01:04 PM.
caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'm at camp covering, he's definitely signing (they're making it public)

The scuttlebutt is that it's for the usual rookie max--ie...same contracts Drouin and Mackinnon have signed already.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:03 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Old
07-10-2013, 01:07 PM
TylerSVT*

10 years 100000000 billion dollars.

But yea, should just be max contract for him. He will play in the NHL next year for sure.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Filip Forceberg

As expected, he'll be wearing #3.

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Sevanston

Not looking forward to the Hawks being in the same division as him for the next few years

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Elever
Hth

I'm assuming he's playing in the NHL this year and not the CHL along with MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, and Nichushin?

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I'm assuming he's playing in the NHL this year and not the CHL along with MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, and Nichushin?
From what the Predators are saying, the chances of him not making the Predators are very slim. Poile called him "the most NHL ready player in the draft."

Old
07-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
All signs point to yes, after hearing from Poile, Trotz, and Housley. He's penciled in to be our #4 defenseman on the 2nd line with Kevin Klein. I think it's safe to say he'll be in the lineup on opening night unless he just has a rotten training camp.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:21 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Reminder: Calling into question the worthiness of a thread is against the site rules. If you are not a moderator you are to leave those judgments up to us.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Pual Statsny
Overpaid, overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
All signs point to yes, after hearing from Poile, Trotz, and Housley. He's penciled in to be our #4 defenseman on the 2nd line with Kevin Klein. I think it's safe to say he'll be in the lineup on opening night unless he just has a rotten training camp.
I can't really think of a better situation for him, and this gives the Predators ostensibly two top pairings and a very good third.

I'd disagree that he's the most NHL ready player in the draft, but I do think he will look great in a Predators sweater and the team will be able to sufficiently mask his deficiencies while showing off his strengths.

Pual Statsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:40 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Welcome to the party Seth!

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Filip Forceberg

From the Preds' website:

Quote:
NASHVILLE – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has signed defenseman Seth Jones, the fourth overall selection in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, to a three-year entry-level contract. The base salary of the contract is $925,000, with maximum rookie contract signing bonuses giving him a salary cap number of $3.225 million.

“Seth is a special prospect and we were fortunate to be in position to select him,” Poile said. “As a player, he brings so much to our organization, from size you can’t teach to a skill set that every team hopes to add and a personality and maturity that will allow him to grow and develop with our veteran core and other young players. He has excelled at the junior and international levels and we anticipate him enjoying great success at the NHL level.”

Jones, (10/3/94), was ranked the No. 1 North American skater by NHL Central Scouting after finishing the 2012-13 season with 14 goals and 42 assists for 56 points to go with a +46 rating in 61 games as Portland posted its best regular-season record in franchise history. That point total led all WHL rookie blueliners. He added another five goals and 15 points in 21 WHL playoff games as the Winterhawks captured the 2013 WHL Championship. Jones, who won the Jim Piggott Trophy as the WHL’s Rookie of the Year, played alongside current Preds prospect Brendan Leipsic during the 2012-13 season.

“I’m excited to be one step closer to realizing the dream of playing in the NHL, especially with a world-class organization like the Nashville Predators,” Jones said. “Since being drafted by the Predators and coming to development camp, I’m certain this is the right spot and right organization for me. I can’t wait for the opportunity to learn from and play with world class players like Shea Weber and Pekka Rinne and other veteran players who will help me in my development on and off the ice.”

Internationally, Jones served as alternate captain of Team USA at the 2013 World Junior Championships, and helped lead the Americans, who were coached by Preds assistant coach Phil Housley, to the gold medal after posting seven points (1g-6a) and a +8 rating in seven tournament games. In 2012, he captained the Under-18 team to gold at the World Championship, finishing second in team scoring with eight points (3g-5a). He also claimed gold at the World Under-18 Championships in 2011.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:04 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

vCash: 50
Why don't all teams put the contract value in the press release? Just seems silly.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:31 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 825
Love the look of that jersey.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:37 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I love Jones and I am so glad he went to Nashville. FWIW, though, I hope they send him back if he looks even remotely out of place.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Sarava

Still amazed they got him with the #4 pick. Good for Nashville!

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
No surprise, grats to him.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Jubal

Saw him at development camp today before the signing. Looked absolutely solid and the coaches looked really impressed/happy when working with him. When signing autographs after he made sure to get everyone, looked and smiled at every camera. Seems like a really nice kid. We saw Popeye there too. Congrats to Seth.

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:50 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

A Weber-Jones pairing is gonna be scary

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 456
Not surprised. The Preds are probably the best team to help him reach his potential.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:32 PM
zaqtrash

I loved watching him play with the Winterhawks last season. He was one of the biggest reasons the Hawks finally captured the title. Congrats to Jones and the Preds.

zaqtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
Not surprised. The Preds are probably the best team to help him reach his potential.
Except I am surprised they are starting him out as a #4. Easing him in the first year on the 3rd pairing would be the best way to protect their investment IMO.

I thought Poil's Nashville organization was a little more conservative, and ripe with solid defenseman....

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
He'll be on the team next season, for sure.

Screw Weber-Jones, Imagine Ellis-Jones.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:43 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
Except I am surprised they are starting him out as a #4. Easing him in the first year on the 3rd pairing would be the best way to protect their investment IMO.

I thought Poil's Nashville organization was a little more conservative, and ripe with solid defenseman....
It's a similar manner that they eased Suter and Weber into the lineup. Both of those guys stepped, more or less, right on to the second pair, albeit they were a little older. Nashville's not a team to rush prospects...if they think he can play on the second pair, it's because they think he's ready.