HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto - Carolina Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

vCash: 500
Toronto - Carolina Proposal

Carolina needs defensemen. They cant rely on Sean Hill and Glen Wesley anymore, both are getting old. I thought of this trade...tell me what you all think.

To Toronto - Justin Williams, Josef Vasicek

To Carolina - Bryan McCabe, Nikolai Antropov

Last edited by Dark Knight: 06-14-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old
06-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDdY
Carolina needs defensemen. They cant rely on Sean Hill and Glen Wesley anymore, both are getting old. I thought of this trade...tell me what you all think.

Sean Hill is a Panther! Wouldn't that trade also create a hole in the Leafs defence?

The Canes are rebuilding and won't likely accept McCabes contract. Williams & Vasicek should are part of that rebuilding prgramm. Guys like these two & Cole are pretty hard to acquire (I consider Staal untouchable).

Old
06-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Master Lok

Agree with Tomace. If Carolina was so desperate for defenseman, they could just sign some UFA instead. They're in a rebuilding state, they would NOT trade away their younger players such as Justin Williams just to feel a short term need. I could however, see them trading away older veterans instead.

Old
06-14-2005, 01:44 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Agree with Tomace. If Carolina was so desperate for defenseman, they could just sign some UFA instead. They're in a rebuilding state, they would NOT trade away their younger players such as Justin Williams just to feel a short term need. I could however, see them trading away older veterans instead.
omg people don't get the idea of a trade proposal...

I can say this about every trade... you can aquire ANYONE THROUGH UFA.....

more than half the league isn't singed...

analize the trade and not wheather you can get a guy through FA'cy..........

Old
06-14-2005, 01:51 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps

how can you analyze the trade value you're receiving back by ignoring options that might be available for free in free agency??

basically this trade for Carolina has them sending 2 young players out of a rebuilding program, getting back another young player - who's had a history of injuries - and an older dman, that if they actually needed such an asset at the salary it would cost them, then Free Agency is an offer.

in the Canes situation, how does this trade make any sense to me?

of course if we start ignoring issues which do impact the market value of players, then any trade can be seen as worthwhile for either team.... if McCabe's contract is not an issue... if his age isn't a factor where he can stick around with a rebuilding team, and they wouldn't risk losing him to FA before the team is ready to compete... well if these factors aren't brought in, then the trade could be fair.

But these are very real factors that every team has to think about... and they all do affect trade value.

Old
06-14-2005, 01:54 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
Sean Hill is a Panther! Wouldn't that trade also create a hole in the Leafs defence?
Yes. Only way the Leafs move McCabe is if they have a capable replacement to log top 4 minutes.

Old
06-14-2005, 01:54 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 4 - 3

Quote:

I can say this about every trade... you can aquire ANYONE THROUGH UFA.....more than half the league isn't singed...

not normally but this year you can, that's why any proposals make no sense at this time. Although this proposal makes no sense as long as the Canes are rebuilding.

Old
06-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
i'd rather have jeff o'neil or erik cole than vasicek

Old
06-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by think/blue
Yes. Only way the Leafs move McCabe is if they have a capable replacement to log top 4 minutes.
trade mccabe, sign aucoin

problem solved......or is it!

Old
06-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

Duh. I did analyze the trade and as I said before. It makes no sense for the Canes to give up two younger players when they're in a rebuilding stage to fill holes that they could sign one of many older UFA defenseman to fill.

Its one of those silly trades proposed by Toronto fans in order to get other team's younger players while giving up their older ones ignoring the fact that Toronto is NOT currently rebuilding and Carolina IS.

Old
06-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Duh. I did analyze the trade and as I said before. It makes no sense for the Canes to give up two younger players when they're in a rebuilding stage to fill holes that they could sign one of many older UFA defenseman to fill.

Its one of those silly trades proposed by Toronto fans in order to get other team's younger players while giving up their older ones ignoring the fact that Toronto is NOT currently rebuilding and Carolina IS.
yeah...good luck with your rebuilding without even a single good defense prospect in your system.

Old
06-15-2005, 01:27 PM
David Draiman

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDdY

Good old Antropov. No trade proposal is quite complete without him in it. It's kinda like a Canuck trade proposal without Sopel. You look and it and feel like it's not quite complete.

A number of problems here but they've all really been covered already. The 'Canes are rebuilding so I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense for them to move Williams and Vasicek in favor of McCabe and Antropov although in your favor, those guys aren't that old. At least you didn't offer something like Leetch and Roberts or something. But... McCabe won big time in arbitration, correct? I'd assume, seeing as the 'Canes ditching that greedy money grubber who did absolutely JACK SQUAT for them this past year Kevin Weekes, that they would be a little reluctant... not to mention the Leafs can't really afford to move McCabe, who is perhaps their best all-around defenseman.

Closed Thread