Start trying trick plays.
The Flying V.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Pugnax

vCash: 500
Some assorted thoughts on this:

It was mentioned during the Cup finals that since the Blackhawks won the Cup in 2010, Joel Quenneville turned over his entire coaching staff. I don't think he was driven to this by management since his job has always appeared to be safe, so I am guessing that at least some coaches welcome fresh ideas that can come with new personnel. That might be reason enough for some changes in the Bruins' staff, especially on the power play where things haven't been clicking for a while now.

That said, I still think no matter what a coach draws up on the board, it's up to the players to execute. At least this last season, the PP seemed like a microcosm of the season: there was no hustle or desperation on the PP if it was early in the game, or at any time the Bruins had a lead. It would only seem to come to life when they desperately need a goal, and then it was often too little too late.

I would like to see Chara taken off the PP unit for two reasons: he doesn't do a good job keeping pinching and keeping pucks in the zone. It's too easy for the PK'ers to pressure him at the blueline and create a short handed opportunity. Also, I am convinced that the velocity of a player's snapshot is one of the most overrated factors when evaluating a player's offensive ability (much like a quarterback's arm strength). A quick release and accurate shot will always yield better results, and the difference between an average velocity shot and a great one is miniscule compared to all the other factors.

Lastly, I've noticed one thing the Bruin's have gotten away from in recent years on the PP, which is a consistent effort to score on the rush. I think it was 08-09 when they did this quite a bit with much success. I think it would help here for two reasons. It gives the PK'ers one more thing to think about - they can't assume the PP will always just enter the zone with a view to setting up. Also, given how well the Bruins play five on five, their PP would have more of a similar flow (i.e., less deliberate) which lead to a more sustained attack.

Pugnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:16 PM
missingchicklet

The PP was pretty dangerous in the playoffs. Jagr had something to do with that. One of the biggest headaches I got watching the B's PP during the reg season was the lack of firm possession in the offensive zone. Jagr fixed that by helping to keep the puck in the zone. It also helped that Krug looked pretty good on the PP. One of the other big reasons the PP flourished in the playoffs was that the forwards got dirty a lot more. Those were the biggest keys to a better PP IMO. I think there is too much criticism of Z on the PP. He doesn't hurt us as bad as some people suggest, plus he serves as a security blanket in the event there is a shorthanded rush. I think we only gave up 2 SHG all of last reg season.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:52 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Great to have a good PP, but as long as the Bruins dominate on the PK and can outscore teams 5on5, I'm not too worried.

What this team needs more than anything is a sniper, a player who's decent at scoring 30+ goals a Season regularly.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 07-13-2013 at 06:14 PM.
MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:14 PM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
Its been 4 years. At some point it stops being about the players, its the coach.

We fix the pp, we become a more dangerous team. If that means getting a new pp coach in there, which IMO needs to happen, then so be it.
Disagree. We traded for Jagr and that powerplay instantly turned into a better PP. Our percentage went up in the playoffs too.

I honestly think Julien somewhat figured it out by putting all the playmakers out there on two seperate PP units. It worked...can't wait to see how it works now with Eriksson and Iggy on our team. Should be solid.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Trap Jesus

Bump

Now past the 3/4 season mark the Bruins have the #3 ranked PP in the league (its says we're #4 on nhl.com, but if you divide PP goals by PP opportunites, we're marginally better than St. Louis and Phoenix), behind only the Crosby/Malkin led Pens and the Ovechkin/Backstrom led Caps.

Krug was such a massive factor in turning this around.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 02:36 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

Ya, I'd say Krug+Eriksson+Iggy+Soda is a lot to add at once. Worked well, they all bring something.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 03:13 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Now all we need to do is fix the PK......

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Uli Kunkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Ya, I'd say Krug+Eriksson+Iggy+Soda is a lot to add at once. Worked well, they all bring something.
Don't forget Geoff Ward.

What about replacing Smith on the left point with the Mez?

Uli Kunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 03:52 PM
VanIsle

Plus putting Chara in front of the net helps.

It is way better than the old system, cycle the puck around and give it to Chara to shoot from the blueline.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post
Plus putting Chara in front of the net helps.

It is way better than the old system, cycle the puck around and give it to Chara to shoot from the blueline.
2nd unit seems to have one bread-and-butter play, but their puck movement is great. Really like Bergeron sticking in the slot for either the one-timer or drawing people in only to pass it off. I can't remember if they were using him there before this year.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 03:58 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

Hey does a website track PP% by unit? Damn that would be cool to see.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 04:01 PM
VanIsle

Powerplay points

Krug - 18
Krejci - 17
Iginla - 13
Chara - 13
Lucic - 12
Smith - 12
Soderberg - 10

The Bruins finally have the PMD they have needed for so long and boom basically have of all Krugs points (35) have come on the PP.

I can't remember where Bergeron was before on the PP.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote