HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting op ed on Revenue Sharing and CBA

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 04:40 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Interesting op ed on Revenue Sharing and CBA

Here's an op ed piece from the Times about revenue sharing and the CBA in Major League Baseball. With the future of the NHL very much in doubt, I thought it was an interesting read. Thoughts?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/30/opinion/30ZIMB.html

09-30-2003, 05:25 AM
True Blue

Can you post the entire article? I can't seem to get into the Times sites.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Can you post the entire article? I can't seem to get into the Times sites.

I'll PM it to you.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:08 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I'll PM it to you.
Thanks. I just read it. The article states why there will never be a level playing field in baseball. The Brewers were the most improved team, financialy-wise. However, their opening payroll dropped. While every team criticizes the Yankees in general and Steinbrenner in particular, the thing that separates him form owners like Selig is that he takes his $$$ that he made on the Yankess and reinvests it in his own team. The other owners critisize him for not doing what they do....i.e. take the $$$ and line his own pocket.
The Oakland A's are another example. The best pitching staff on the planet. One of baseball's top offensive players in Miguel Tejada, at a key position (shortstop). Yet they are not even going to make an effort in resigning him. First they loose Giambi. This year it will be Tejada. Next year Eric Chavez is a free agent. And they wonder why they never make it past the first round of the playoffs.

With the NHL, it is not much different. However, here a part of the injustice is that you have teams who are not only more interested in lining their own pockey, but also are incapable of selling out their own building. Even a top end team like the 'Sens, cannot seem to sell out the 1st round of the playoffs. Seems to me that before coming for handouts, these teams should market a little better and show that there is a large fan support in place. If the fans don't care enough, why should the league care enough to give handouts?

Old
09-30-2003, 06:19 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

firstly its nice to see that this issue is getting some press stateside. I think however that hockey is a very different creature than baseball is, firstly its more international in that a higher percentage of clubs use loonies, not washingtons. Secondly baseball has twice the number of games for revenue generation. Third baseball has a true national tv contract.
Its a tough nut certainly... If the solution were simple, I suspect they would have dealt with it by now. sadly its probably going to result in little to no NHL hockey next year, so get ready for the A, which also has very entertaining hockey. It should be interesting which pro roster players (if any) play in the A, which ones go to europe and so on. Perhaps Mr Hull's new WHL maybe an option for a few.
I can see guys like Robitaille, Hull, Sakic, Modano, Yzerman with little else to prove in the NHL taking their acts to the W for franchise money.
We will all have to wait and see. All I can say is GO PACK !

Closed Thread