Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
For me, other than his face off prowess he has demonstrated next to no additional upside at the pro level when called up. He's been given a number of opportunities, and either can't or won't kick the door down and force the organization to keep him up. His game should be one of a feisty, hard to play against checking winger / centre that throws the body. This was his modus operandi during his junior years, but he seems to have gotten away from this game, unfortunately.

I think this will be a telling season for Cormier one way or the other - I believe that he's waiver eligible this year, yes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
He should have made the team out of camp this past season, the opportunity was there but the team felt the need to bring in players from other organizations, that really lowers my expectations for him.

Kulda's role / results on a team in a very strong league give me more hope for him.
Oh for sure, and I agree with both of these posts 100%. For what it's worth, Kulda is ahead of Cormier in my prospect rankings.

It just seems strange with all the talk about voting for completely unproven players that he hasn't been mentioned once for a nomination and, from all indications, might not even crack this top 20. If you were going strictly off NHL games played, only Postma has proven more than Cormier. And to be realistic, there is absolutely no way that each member of this entire top 20 will play 37+ NHL games (Cormier's total).

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 07-11-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
For me, other than his face off prowess he has demonstrated next to no additional upside at the pro level when called up. He's been given a number of opportunities, and either can't or won't kick the door down and force the organization to keep him up. His game should be one of a feisty, hard to play against checking winger / centre that throws the body. This was his modus operandi during his junior years, but he seems to have gotten away from this game, unfortunately.

I think this will be a telling season for Cormier one way or the other - I believe that he's waiver eligible this year, yes?
Agree. If Cormier wanted a spot it was there for the taking when Slater broke his hand/finger. He didn't do much to get noticed. To me, it would have been nice if Cormier played more of an agitators game, more physical, got under the skin of opponents, played more like a pest, etc. I mean, he's solid on the faceoff circle which is a huge bonus, but other than that he just doesn't stand out at all to me. I really wish he embraced the pesky checkers role, because he's got some toughness to him too.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I can indeed agree with you here on many of your points, Holden. With a chance comes opportunity but also with an opportunity comes a chance. Perhaps you are right and that is all Kulda needs, much like we gave Redmond and Postma this season.

I still have my doubts about Kulda, but I wouldn't be upset if he was given a chance by any means. We'll see. Not counting him out completely, I just think he needs to show something here at some point to open the eyes of management so they give him a chance. Step up and make a nice hard hit along the boards/at the blueline a few times. If it were me, there comes a time when just being average and 'safe' may not be good enough to get recognized, so you gotta step up and do something to catch the eyes of the people watching you. Make them notice you, demand they look at you.
However that often goes completely against what makes him so valuable. If needs to take himself out of position to make the big hit, to change his smart safe game to suit the Jets for a one time big hit that might backfire horrible (what people get on Stuart for for example) that is the fault in the coaching and scouting staff, not the player, IMO. People VASTLY undervalue to smart safe reliable first pass, positional board battling player until they are a marque name (ie Scuderi), IMO. This is a league wide phenomenon though, so I don't completely fault Jets management.

This is a systemic failure. One that somebody will eventually utilize to their advantage, much like the Oakland A's utilized unconventional players to their advantage. Somebody someday will realize that skating is by FAR the most overrated playing skill (not including size and bloodlines since those are not playing skills) and take advantage of this. I hope it's the Jets.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
However that often goes completely against what makes him so valuable. If needs to take himself out of position to make the big hit, to change his smart safe game to suit the Jets for a one time big hit that might backfire horrible (what people get on Stuart for for example) that is the fault in the coaching and scouting staff, not the player, IMO. People VASTLY undervalue to smart safe reliable first pass, positional board battling player until they are a marque name (ie Scuderi), IMO. This is a league wide phenomenon though, so I don't completely fault Jets management.

This is a systemic failure. One that somebody will eventually utilize to their advantage, much like the Oakland A's utilized unconventional players to their advantage. Somebody someday will realize that skating is by FAR the most overrated playing skill (not including size and bloodlines since those are not playing skills) and take advantage of this. I hope it's the Jets.
I agree with you, but those things can also be done without taking yourself out of position, and I think Kulda is smart enough to recognize when and when not to make such a decision. I'm just saying if he wants to make the big leagues he just may have to open some eyes, because other than that he may continue to go unnoticed as a smart and safe positional player who many view as pretty dime a dozen. It may be a shame, but like you say it is indeed a league wide phenomenon in what hockey people like to see.

It's not as though he would have to become Stuart 2.0, just perhaps show he has some of those aspects to his game and he isn't afraid to use them from time to time. He does have the ability to play the body more, drive guys into the boards hard while taking them out of the play, I've seen him do it even at the Junior level when I watched him for a couple years. If you're a player there sometimes comes a point where you need to MAKE people recognize you and branch out your game a bit in order to open those eyes.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:34 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Came here to see how you rank Telegin... Wow over Kosmachuk or Lipon? Does he really have that much NHL potential? I thought he sucked last year in AHL...

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
Came here to see how you rank Telegin... Wow over Kosmachuk or Lipon? Does he really have that much NHL potential? I thought he sucked last year in AHL...
I think many (myself included) are giving him the benefit of the doubt with all his injury problems. No question though, he needs to step up his production. I'm expecting he'll be one of St. John's best forwards next season.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I agree with you, but those things can also be done without taking yourself out of position, and I think Kulda is smart enough to recognize when and when not to make such a decision. I'm just saying if he wants to make the big leagues he just may have to open some eyes, because other than that he may continue to go unnoticed as a smart and safe positional player who many view as pretty dime a dozen. It may be a shame, but like you say it is indeed a league wide phenomenon in what hockey people like to see.

It's not as though he would have to become Stuart 2.0, just perhaps show he has some of those aspects to his game and he isn't afraid to use them from time to time. He does have the ability to play the body more, drive guys into the boards hard while taking them out of the play, I've seen him do it even at the Junior level when I watched him for a couple years. If you're a player there sometimes comes a point where you need to MAKE people recognize you and branch out your game a bit in order to open those eyes.
We'll have to agree to disagree here. Clearly the KHL recognizing his talent (he will not sign with HC Riga since he is waaaay outside their price range for the KHL since they are a small market team) and all the more power to them. Much like the NFL and CFL target different types of players it might be that Kulda becomes a Milt Stegall type. Never gets the recognition of the big leagues, but becomes a well paid huge player for a lesser league player.

However I really do hope he gets his chance, the guys has put MORE than enough time into it. He came over as a junior, somebody give him a DAMN chance.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree here. Clearly the KHL recognizing his talent (he will not sign with HC Riga since he is waaaay outside their price range for the KHL since they are a small market team) and all the more power to them. Much like the NFL and CFL target different types of players it might be that Kulda becomes a Milt Stegall type. Never gets the recognition of the big leagues, but becomes a well paid huge player for a lesser league player.

However I really do hope he gets his chance, the guys has put MORE than enough time into it. He came over as a junior, somebody give him a DAMN chance.
That's fair. I'd just hate to see him miss out and not do something to force himself an opportunity, knock a door down, etc.

With that being said, like you, I still believe Kulda can be a solid and reliable bottom pairing guy if given the chance to do so. Heck, he could be more steady and reliable than Stuart, lots of people think so. But, as you say Holden, Stuart carries those traits that make people in hockey drool a bit. Kulda could to, but to a MUCH safer and more calculated rate, was really all I was saying.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
He's a young Russian. To many around here that automatically means he's super-talented with tons of potential, and should be allowed to play his own style. If he sucked, it was probably due to his linemates or his coach. He starts to produce once he gets 21+ minutes a game. Anything less and he's misused by his youngster-hating coach.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:59 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Why would teams trade for Kulda when they know they can probably scoop him up as a UFA next year for free? Prospects that are subject to waivers also have less value.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:33 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
He's a young Russian. To many around here that automatically means he's super-talented with tons of potential, and should be allowed to play his own style. If he sucked, it was probably due to his linemates or his coach. He starts to produce once he gets 21+ minutes a game. Anything less and he's misused by his youngster-hating coach.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:56 PM
EastRiver

Comrie.
Add Kitchon.

EastRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:58 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1235
I didn't have a chance to vote on the top 10, but it seems bang on to me. IMO it is a much better representation of our prospects then the top 10 streaming across the top of the page. Where do those come from?

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I didn't have a chance to vote on the top 10, but it seems bang on to me. IMO it is a much better representation of our prospects then the top 10 streaming across the top of the page. Where do those come from?
Hockey's Future writing staff.

Old
07-12-2013, 12:55 AM
HalbertGil*
crab whom enjoy

Y'all sleeping on Klingberg

HalbertGil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:40 AM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Comrie. Add Brassard.

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:08 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Oh my...

Voted Kosmachuk for the 2nd straight time. Why is nobody talking about him?

Add Brassard!

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote